Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Stargirl, Killer Croc, Red Tornado, Copperhead

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Red Tornado had a couple really good episodes of Batman Brave and the Bold. I remember a really solid Christmas episode from a few years ago.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Much obliged for the Curare and Shriek builds Jab! His sonic powers (especially the sound-masker ability) were cool and I also really liked the animation they used for them. :D
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Red also has a current good run on Young Justice and a couple of new family members.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Its a really minor thing, but your Superman build breaks caps with his Defenses. Fort 14+Will 11=25. PL 12 has to have a total of 24 for those.

Curses! That always gets me for A) Low-powered NPCs (Lois Lane & Alfred have nigh-Heroic Will Saves), and B) really high-level PCs (Cap, Superman), since they tend to excel both physically and mentally. Since I can't imagine Superman being lower in either category, he'll get to be PL 12.5 with his Defenses.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:59 pm

LIVEWIRE (Leslie Willis)
Created By:
Evan Dorkin, Sarah Dyer & Curt Geda
First Appearance: "Livewire"
Role: Blaster, Wild Girl
Voice Actor: Lori Petty
Finest Moment: Frequently fought SUPERMAN and almost won.
PL 10 (203)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 3 (+7)
Diplomacy 3 (+8)
Expertise (Radio Shock Jock) 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 2 (+9)
Technology 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Electrical Body"
Alternate Form [-1]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Insubstantial 3 [15]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
Electrical Aura 10 (40) -- [44]
    AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (38)
    AE: "Lightning" Blast 11 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (30)
    AE: "Magnetic Control" Move Object 10 (Flaws: Limited to Metals) (10)
    AE: Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
"Animate Machines" Summon 8 (Extras: 4 Minions +4, Horde) (Flaws: Requires Machines) [48]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Boosted Strength +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Aura +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Lightning Bolt +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Lightning +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Silica Dust)- Silica Dust touching her can neutralize Livewire's powers.
Power Loss (Recharging)- Livewire must occasionally recharge herself, or lose power.
Vulnerable & Weakness (Water Attacks)- Touching Water will completely short Livewire out, often KOing her immediately.
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 137 / Defenses: 17 (203)

-Livewire was a character created for the "Superman" animated series (because Supes is possibly the only major hero in existence who actually needs new villains created for him- his own rogues can't get the job done), a radio Shock-Jock who got electrical powers and became a semi-recurring threat. She was very powerful, but had a buttload of Achilles' Heels.

-Really hard to fit people with this many dangerous powers into a well-balanced build. While really vulnerable to lots of things, and pretty weak in the Stamina department, Livewire is Insubstantial most of the time, yet can STILL attack people from that position, one of the most gamebreaking powers in the game. It's a MASSIVE Blast she has too, though I didn't quite want to make her TOO powerful (PL 11 or something) despite her regularly fighting Superman in his own series. I'll chalk that up to lots of Power Attack, Supes being kinda weaker against Electricity (he gets hit by it a LOT in the Timmverse), and some luck. She gets fairly pricey thanks to a Summon Machines power, her Flight, Insubstantial, etc.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am

STEEL (John Henry Irons)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & Jon Bogdanove
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #500 (June 1993)
Role: The Tech Guy, Jobber to the Stars
Voice Actor: Phil LaMarr
Finest Moment: Told Lex Luthor that "NOBODY'D think to look for you here!" while in a Barber Shop.
PL 10 (163)
STRENGTH
2/9 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+15)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 9 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit (League Member), Equipment 3 (Tech Gear), Improved Critical (Hammer) 2, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery 2 (Expertise, Technology), Ultimate Technology Skill

Powers:
"Steel Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [48]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16)
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) (19)
Immunity 10 (Life Support) (10)
-- (59 points)

"Steel Hammer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Thrown Hammer" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Homing) (Extras: Ranged 11) (14) -- (15 points)
    AE: "Melee Hammer" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach, Penetrating 8) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Steel Armour +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Hammer +7 (+13 Damage, DC 27)
Thrown Hammer +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+11 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Justice Leaguer)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 18 (163)

-Steel's one of those great "also ran" characters that's like third or fourth in line for a legacy, so he'll NEVER get full credit, no matter how good he is. Kind of too bad, because he's one of the best "scientist" characters around (even though, like 50% of them, he's black for no other reason that to try to defy a stereotype or something). In the JLU cartoon, he was pretty much minor as hell, not doing much other than flying around with Supergirl and losing BADLY to Galatea. Even as the resident Tech-Guy on the Watchtower, the poor guy was a jobber. However, he fits the Pro Wrestling standard of "Jobber To The Stars" (often shortened to JTTS)- the guys who are Jobbers, but are important enough names that their jobbing actually MEANS something. This effectively makes John Henry Irons the Koko B. Ware of the Justice League, which is kind of, uh... sad.

-Steel's a good, over-pointed PL 10, having a good Skillmonkey set on top of being a very capable Battlesuit guy. The Hammer is his main schtick, despite being fairly inaccurate, and it's the only way for him to meet his caps. He's not as good in combat as he could be, but he hits as hard as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman or J'onn, so he's good as a frontliner anyways. I figure Comics Steel to be a PL 11

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:03 am

VIGILANTE (Greg Saunders)
Created By:
Mort Weisinger & Mort Meskin
First Appearance: Action Comics #42 (Nov. 1941)
Role: Cowboy, Underdog Hero, Ensemble Darkhorse, Background Character
Voice Actor: Michael Rosenbaum/Nathan Fillion
Finest Moment: Helping save the day against the vengeful Thanagarians, refusing to give up Hawkgirl to them
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Crime) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Cowboy) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 3 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 8 (+12) -- Flaws: Limited to Grounded Vehicles

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (League Member), Defensive Attack, Equipment 5 (Motorcycle, Pistols), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Pistols) 2, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Taunt, Ultimate Aim

Equipment:
"Motorcycle" (10)
"Double Pistols" Blast 5 (Feats: Split) (11) -- (12)
    AE: "Lasso" Snare 5 (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range, Limited to One Group) (9.5)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistols +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Minor Leaguer)- Few consider Saunders one of the more "elite" Justice League members, and thus he gets a bit of disrespect at times.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (120)

-Vigilante's yet ANOTHER guy who's got a messed-up history as a character, thanks to DC's "meant to fix everything but really made everything more confusing" Crisis on Infinite Earths. See, Vigilante #1 was a guy in the '40s who was a cowboy superhero, and got stuck on the Seven Soldiers of Victory team (better known as "the non-powered losers who nobody ever remembers"). Earth-1 (which, of course, was the SECOND Earth created) had a Vigilante too, with the same name and everything. But Crisis merged them together, so now it's just one guy. Add to that his sidekick Stuff, The Chinatown Kid, one of many "Chinese kid" sidekicks from that era (the Golden Age featured dozens of rip-offs of every successful concept, and this one was stolen from the Green Hornet's radio programs), who was in some stories, yet never mentioned in others (Seven Soldiers, until he was retconned onto the team, replacing Green Arrow & Speedy I, who never existed anymore. Got that?). But on to JLU...

-Vigilante started out as just a pretty common background guy in JLU, but suddenly the writers discovered they REALLY liked writing cowboy dialogue. So much so, that ol' Vig kept getting more and more screen-time, to the point where he was the "third guy" on a LOT of missions (Hawkgirl vs. Thanagarians, Seven Soldiers, Task Force-X), getting tons of lines, and doing lots of shooting. He never got big enough to be seen without the mask (or even have his real name mentioned!), but he was always there, as one of the more iconic "Redshirts" in the background. It's more than poor Atom Smasher got, cuz he was always stuck in the background punching stuff and grunting.

-Vigilante is a low-level super-hero, being essentially a crack-shot with a bunch of gun-based Advantages. PL 9 costing like a PL 8 would (he was almost PL 8, but that's kind of a kick in the pants for a guy living amongst Godlike super-beings), and he has enough Advantages to cover for any moments he has to be careful. He could shoot out some cyborgs or a hawkperson, but Rick Flagg beat the living CRAP out of him with just his bare hands, and most real metahumans would dust him off with little problem.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Jab's Builds: Tornado, Copperhead, Livewire,Steel, Vigilante

Postby Devastation Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

IIRC The Volcana and Live Wire episode scripts were so similar I think they just went through and swiped fire with electricity, though I think Volcana was slightly more redeemable at the end than Live Wire.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:38 pm

THE GENERAL: “I do what I do in service to my country.”
SHINING KNIGHT: “Once, at the word of my lord King Arthur, I was ordered to lay waste to an entire village. I knew my king’s heart could not be so unjust—so I spared them all.”

THE SHINING KNIGHT (Sir Justin)
Created By:
Creig Flessel
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #66 (Sept. 1941)
Role: Medieval Knight, Underdog Hero, Ensemble Darkhorse, Background Character
Voice Actor: Chris Cox
Finest Moment: Doing nearly the best, and taking the most battle-damage, against the hugely powerful Wade Eiling
PL 9 (131)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Riding
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+12)
Expertise (Knight of Europe) 10 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (League Member), Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Sidekick 16 (Winged Victory), Takedown

Powers:
"Mystic Sword- Enchanged by Merlin" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [7]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 6) (11 points)

"Magic Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) (9)
Enhanced Advantages: Withstand Damage (1)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+8 Magic Armour), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Reputation (Minor Leaguer)- Few consider Sir Justin one of the more "elite" Justice League members, and thus he gets a bit of disrespect at times.
Responsibility (Man Out of Time)- A member of King Arthur's Court, Sir Justin often feels left out of the modern world.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 33 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 13 (131)

-Shining Knight was pretty much Vigilante's buddy, an iconic "Background Guy" because he took up a lot of space with his giant Pegasus mount, making him handy filler (George Perez found a similar thing in "Crisis on Infinite Earths"- go back and see how many times Sir Justin is in big group shots, taking up the room of eight guys). He talked a lot less than Ol' Vig, cuz Medieval dialogue isn't as fun as saying "no-how" and "don't work none", but he was sure around in the background alot. His best showing by far was against General Eilling, though he was still a jobber to him in the end.

-Shining Knight is another PL 9 with a PL 8's points, because both of these guys were kinda limited. He's got a fair bit of Skills & Feats, being a melee warrior with a killer sword, but he's ultimately an also-ran in the League. Winged Victory makes me yet again happy I made a set of Animal Builds, because I swear I've used that damn Pegasus build like eighty times for various superheroes at this point.

WINGED VICTORY (Equus pegasi)
Role:
Awesome Mounted Beast
PL 7 (73)- Sidekick Rank 15
[b]STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+5 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+1 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]
"Natural Weapons- Hooves" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Protection 1 [1]

"Wings" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hooves +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Pegasi cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 11 (73)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Hro Talak (about Hawkgirl): "You took what was mine!"
John: "Anything I took was freely offered! Maybe YOU oughta take better care of your STUFF!"

GREEN LANTERN (John Stewart)
Created By:
Dennis O'Neil & Neal Adams
First Appearance: Green Lantern #87 (Dec. 1971)
Role: The Military Man, The Straight Man
Voice Actor: Phil LaMarr
Finest Moment: Regaining his former powers and kicking the crap out of Despero
PL 12 (230)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (United States Marine Corps.) 10 (+13)
Expertise (Intergalactic Spaceman) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 1 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (League Member), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (GL Blasts) 2, Improved Critical (Rifle), Improved Smash, Interpose, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 10, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Green Lantern Ring" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Fear-Overcomers, Unbreakable) [100]
Create 13 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (52) -- (74)
    Dynamic AE: Blast 12 (Feats: Precise, Penetrating 10, Dynamic) (36)
    Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 5, Dynamic) (Extras: Multiattack) (36)
    Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8, Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (33)
    Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8, Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (33)
    Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Reversible, Dynamic) (38)
    Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Reversible, Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (38)
    Dynamic AE: Move Object 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (25)
    Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation) (Extras: Affects Others Only, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (31)
    Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (31)
    Dynamic AE: "Flashlight" Environment 1 (Light) (Feats: Dynamic) (3)
    Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (8)
Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation) (7)
"Standard Force Field" Force Field 7 (7)
"Universal Translator" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) (8)
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16)
Movement 4 (Space Travel 3, Environmental Adaptation- Zero-Gravity) (8)
Enhanced Advantages: Benefit (Quick Change) (1)
Features 1: Can Change Clothing (1)
-- (122 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
GL Blast +12 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Multi-Blasts +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Area Blasts +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare +12 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Area Snare +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+10 Force Field, +13 Boosted Field), Fortitude +6, Will +12

Complications:
Power Loss (Recharge Rings)- Green Lantern Rings must be recharged every day or so.
Power Loss (Will)- Green Lantern Rings depend upon the Will of their wielder. If John fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), he will drop Constructs and Force Fields.
Relationship (Hawkgirl)- John fell in love with Hawkgirl while they were members of the Original Seven Leaguers. When her responsibility for the Thanagarian Invasion was revealed, he was crushed, but admitted he still loved her in the end. Now that he's with Vixen and Shayera wants him back, he has a decision to make. He is stubbornly refusing to accept that he is the mere pawn of destiny.
Relationship (Vixen)- John is currently dating the beautiful, exotic Vixen. She's now friendly with Hawkgirl. This is upsetting.
Responsibility (Green Lantern Corps)
Reputation (Hard-Assed Marine)- John is the biggest stick-in-the-mud on the League, making even Superman and Batman seem happy-go-lucky at times.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 19 (230)

-Green Lantern was a fantastic character in this show. Sort of played up as the boring yes-man of the team, he was a notorious drill sergeant who annoyed everyone whenever he took charge, but they all ultimately respected his credentials. It says something when the animated representation of a character essentially overtakes their comic book version, as this one surely did (John was an architect, not a Marine, prior to this point in comics continuity- DC basically retconned him into a Marine because of this show). Talk about turning basically an enforced decision (ie. you HAVE to have a black guy on the team!) into a huge positive, as John stands out more than regular ol' Hal Jordan ever could on this squad, becoming my favourite overall GL just through the show.

-And then there's the HAWKGIRL thing. After flirting for half a season, they hook up after the Royal Flush Gang arc, then break up horribly in "Starcrossed", the brilliant finale of the 'regular' incarnation of the series. Army man John is torn, especially when Shayera ends up with Hro Talok, but he tries to hide his emotions. In the end, he finally admits he loves her, just in time for her to fly off into the distance, quitting the League because she allowed the Thanagarians to invade Earth. And then they don't see each other for a while, and when she finally comes back into his life, he's with Vixen. Now, the JLU writers insist that they loved Vixen too much to just "dump her" and hook John up with Shayera again, but I call LAME-SAUCE on that one. They totally should've hooked back up at the end of the series instead of being all wishy-washy.

-John's another super-heavyweight, a PL 12 Blaster with a powerful Force Field, and one of the greatest weapons I've ever statted up in terms of sheer potential. He's brave, physically strong, has decent mental stats, and his Willpower is second-to-none (being +12, plus Ultimate Will Save and Fearless). The Ring requires some explaining... It has a +7 BASE Force Field, but he can amp it up to +10 as a Dynamic Alternate Effect from his other offensive powers. It's got alot of the standard comic book stuff on it, from the Snares to the Area Blasts and the Create portion that takes up most of the cost, being the most-expensive power. Most of his powers are limited to having to pick-and-choose how many Points he's putting in any one thing (ie. he's not meeting his Defensive caps if he's going all-out with his Blasts).

-Green Lanterns can also have their Constructs & Fields broken by failing Will Saves (Despero leaves John almost permanently like this), and I would imagine that Rookie Corpsmen lack John's total power. +12 isn't so great, but this is the JLU version of John, where his Blasts aren't THAT overwhelmingly powerful. He can Power Attack for +17 Damage if he needs to. He's one of the most-versatile Leaguers- Vandal Savage declares him "the most difficult" to kill, and Green Arrow specifically mentioned John as "the most powerful" when he scolds Brainiac-5 for saving Supergirl from a brain-washing plot instead.

-Other stuff (told you their rings are complicated): They lack the comics' "GL Database", but still have massive scanning capabilities (Analytical Ranged Energy Sense, basically), and unlike comics GLs, then don't have Variable Descriptor 2 on their Blasts (meaning they can't shoot 'fire' or 'radiation' or whatever- it's just the same green energy). Ummm... is that it? I think so. Stupid GL Rings. It's like the GM's hugest headache ever ("crap, how many pp do you have in Force Field right now?" "uhhh... 22, if I include the guys in my Field at range" "So can you use a +4 Blast?" "I dunno, I'll check my calculator"). Oh yeah, and no Yellow weakness at all, either.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Jab's Builds: Steel, Vigilante, ShiningKnight, Green Lanterm

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:02 am

I've been enjoying these, but I'm not so familiar with DCA to comment normally.

I am curious though, why you decided to forgo Sir Justin's enchanted armour? I think you could give it a little more Protection and some Impervious (it traditionally caused bullets to bounce off of him) and still keep him at PL 9.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Sir Justin was barely in the show, but boy did he steal the show when they did.

As for the Vixen/Hawkgirl thing... I'm going to lean with the writers. The plan was always to get John and Hawkgirl back together, but they just couldn't come up with a reasonable way of doing it without making John look bad.

If only they'd had a few more seasons! ;~)

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Yeah, and I like John going against the whole destiny thing. I wonder when they created Warhawk for Batman Beyond, if they "knew" who his parents were?
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:I've been enjoying these, but I'm not so familiar with DCA to comment normally.

I am curious though, why you decided to forgo Sir Justin's enchanted armour? I think you could give it a little more Protection and some Impervious (it traditionally caused bullets to bounce off of him) and still keep him at PL 9.

I don't think I saw any use out of it in the show. Heck, I'm pretty sure I recall Justin blocking bullets with his SWORD instead of his armour, implying that it wasn't as durable. Of course, he DID take a dozen of General Eiling's punches, so I dunno...

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:I've been enjoying these, but I'm not so familiar with DCA to comment normally.

I don't think I saw any use out of it in the show. Heck, I'm pretty sure I recall Justin blocking bullets with his SWORD instead of his armour, implying that it wasn't as durable. Of course, he DID take a dozen of General Eiling's punches, so I dunno...

Jab, at the time of the "Seven Soldiers" episode blocking bullets with swords had become a mainstay features of all the sword-wielding heroes in the DCAU. About the armor it was identified as magical on screen so I think it might deserve the Device status.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Return to “Roll Call”