Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

JD's 3E Thread: More fantasy NPCS ?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

LOTR: The Races of Men

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 pm

LORD OF THE RINGS using 3E.
Taking my love for LOTR further, I decided to do some templates for the third edition rules set.

The Races of Men
The men of Middle Earth are broken into five broad groups, the men of Gondor, the men of Rohan, The men of Dale, the Dunedain, and the elf-blooded.

Men of Gondor (6pp)
The men of Gondor are warrior born , so close to the lands of Mordor. They are often on the front lines, confronting the enemy. Where once upon a time they were a maritime race.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Strength, Fighting, or +1 Stamina
Defense Modifiers: +1 Fortitude or +1 parry
Skill Selections: Athletics 2
Advantage Selections: Close Attack or Ranged Attack, and Favored Foe (Orcs).

The Middle Men (2pp)
This makes up any other type of Men found on Middle Earth, like the Breelanders. The Eglain among the lone-lands, etc..
Ability Modifiers: None
Defense Modifiers: +1 to either fortitude, willpower, parry, or doge.
Skill Selections: Athletics 2 or Expertise 2
Advantage Selections: None

The Men of Rohan (6pp)
Most men of Rohan grow up and live with their horses. Revered as boon companions. That the men of Rohan, do not suffer a penalty while horse-back.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Agility or Awareness
Defense Modifiers: +1 dodge or parry
Skill Selections: Athletics 4
Advantage Selections: Animal Empathy (Limited to horses), Horse Master*
· Horse master is a ranked feat. While horseback an attacker suffers a -5 penalty to Attack rolls. Each Rank in this feat, reduces the degree of penalty. One rank being a -2, and 2 ranks being a -0 penalty. A third rank will grant a +2 dodge bonus while horseback. The GM is welcome to limit this feat if he so desires.

The Men of Dale (5pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 to Presence or Intellect.
Defense Modifiers: +1 Willpower
Skill Selections (make 2 selections): Athletics 2, Expertise 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 2,
Powers:
· Feature: The blood line of Dain. Some men of dale, still have the blood of the men of Dain who once lived here. Those who do understand the speech of Thrushes. This is an optional purchase.

The Dunedain (11pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 to Fighting, then a +1 to any other ability of choice.
Defense Modifiers: +2 to Willpower.
Skill Selections (choose 3): Athletics 2, Insight 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 2, Expertise (Survival) 2,
Powers:
· Feature: Men of the West. The men of the west are a long lived race. But the end of the third age, the Dunedain have been known to live 150 years.
· Feature: The Grace of Numenor. The blood of Numenor runs strong in the veins of the Numenors, granted a +2 circumstance bonus to resist the powers of corruption. This includes any dark powers, that attempt to sway your mind.

The Elf Blooded (10pp)
Only three times have Men joined with Noldor, or Sindar of high rank. And the histories of those unions and their off spring are well documented. But some houses of Men, show signs of the ancient Elvish ancestry, likely from the Elder days when Men and Silvan Elves lived close to one another.  All elf blooded do not grow facial hair, one sure sign of their elven heritage.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Dexterity, +1 Presence
Defense Modifiers: +1 Fortitude
Skill Selections (Choose 2): Athletics 2, Expertise 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 2,
Advantage Selections: Languages 1 (one elven language)
Powers (choose 1, as innate):
· Feature: Longevity. The elf blooded can live as long as most Dunedain can.
· Senses 1 (extended vision)
· Senses 1 (extended hearing)
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: JD's 3E Thread: Sensuali Amoris, Calvin & Hobbes

Postby Thorpacolypse » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Oooo, 3E LOTR goodness. Me like. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:Oooo, 3E LOTR goodness. Me like. 8)

There's still some info I could not find myself, like the ages for longevity on the elf born. Which there is a surprising amount of at Ered-Luin.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Updated the modifiers for the elf blooded.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

LOTR Advantages

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Fortune Advantages

General Advantages
Many of the General advantages have been modified into a ranked advantage, where the 1st rank provides a +2 bonus, and the second rank provides a +5 bonus. The following feats listed below have been changed to reflect this, while special notes have been made with certain once which provided an all out immunity.

Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Teamwork

Fearless (ranked). The Fearless feat has been replaced with the following rule, to follow the rules in the same way as listed above. This advantage provides a +2 saving throw modifier against Fear based attacks. The second rank provides a +5 bonus.

New General Advantages:
Elf Friend. The hero has been named friend by the Elves. He gains pretty much the same benefits as Status. Or a +2 bonus to persuasion checks with them.

Majestic (ranked): The radiance and or presence of the being in question, allows him to add a +2 bonus Diplomacy or Intimidation Checks. The second rank raises this to a +5 bonus. Majestic is a very appropriate feat for those beings which still have a measure of the Valar within them. So this feat is not appropriate for every character. The GM may feel that this is only appropriate to certain npcs, creatures, etc..

Healing Hands (ranked). The hero or player in question, is quite skilled at Expertise (Medicine) checks. Giving him a +2 bonus to healing checks for the 1st rank, and +5 for the 2nd Rank. Aragorn has this advantage.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Something a little different

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:46 pm

I like to do some pretty weird off the wall stuff, from time to time. And this one is no exception. I like testing the system to see what i can do with it. It's something cute, which you don't see much of around here.

“Tee Hee, This is a nice Pumpkin Patch”

Pumpkin Fairy - PL 6

Strength -2, Stamina 0, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Equipment 2, Fascinate (Deception), Hide in Plain Sight, Luck 3, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt

Skills
Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Arcane 4 (+4), Insight 3 (+5), Perception 5 (+7)

Powers
Pumpkin Fairy (Advantages: Innate)
. . Comprehend: Comprehend 4 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All)
. . Fay: Immunity 1 (Aging)
. . Flight: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Wings)
. . Shrinking: Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size categories, -1 speed ranks)
Pumpkin Fairy Magic: Illusion 6 (Affects: Two Sense Types - Visual & Hearing, Area: 60 cft., DC 16)
. . Luck Control: Luck Control 4 (Alternate; Bestow Luck, Extra Ranks 1, Force a Re-roll, Spend on Other)
. . Pumpkin Bombs: Burst Area Blast 4 (Alternate; DC 19; Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere): 30 feet radius sphere; Diminished Range)

Equipment
Magic Pumpkin

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 8)
Pumpkin Bombs: Burst Area Blast 4 (DC 19)
Throw, +5 (DC 13)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 13)

Complications
Power Loss: Destroying her Pumkin: Destroying a pumpkn fairy's pumpkin, makes her loose her magical powers.
Quirk: Compulsion: Must do what ever the owner of her pumpkin says.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 0, Toughness 0, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 42 + Advantages 10 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 2 = 90

Magic Pumpkin - PL 6

Toughness 6, Size Tiny

Features:
Concealed 3, Dual Size (Miniscule) 3, Living Space

Power Points
Abilities -1 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 7 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 0 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 6
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

LOTR Dwarves

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Dwarf Template (9pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 Stamina, +1 Dexterity, -1 Agility, -1 Presence
Defense Modifiers: +1 to Fortitude and Willpower
Skill Selections: Close Combat: Axes 2, Expertise (Specific Craft) 2
Advantage Selections: Favored Opponent (Orcs)
Powers:
· Feature: Long Lived.
· Senses 1 (Low light vision)
· Feature: Dwarf Physique. (+2 save vs. disease & poison)
· Feature: Dwarf Stubbornness (+5 save vs. Intimidation)
Complications:
· Small Size. Dwarves are smaller in size, but their girth compensates this. There are no complex game mechanics, since the benefits and drawbacks, do not constitute a Shrinking power. This is mostly played out by using the +1 stamina for their sturdiness, and a -1 agility for their girth. I might decide on a slower movement rate. But that is up in the air still.

Notes:
Dwarves are few and far between these days, and are split up into several small settlements. The Blue Mountains, Erebor, the Iron Hills, and those Dwarves who wander Middle Earth.

Special Equipment: Mithril
Mithril is the most powerful metal available in Middle Earth, and should be handed out sparingly. Items made of Mithril have a Substance Toughness Rating of 15. It is light and fashionable, and when made into armor it is extremely light. If you are using the penalty of armor rule (-1 to movement based skills for every point of protection past +1), Mithril reduces the penalty by 2. When Mithril is used as Armor, it increases the protection rating by 2 and applies impervious to the armors protection ranks. (example: A shirt of Mithril Chain, provides a +5 toughness bonus that is impervious) When applied to a weapon, Mithril increases the damage by +2, and applies Penetrating to all the damage of the weapon. (this does not include any bonuses from mighty). Unless the weapon is of the 2nd or 1st age. This impervious or penetrating only applies against items not made of Mithril, against Mithril treat them without the extras).

If anything is brought home to me, when converting into 3E this motto becomes almost a chant. Simplify Simplify. Some may wonder why I bowed out on Shrinking, because in the end, I felt that using it would not fit the concept of the dwarf what so ever.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: JD's 3E Thread: LOTR in 3E

Postby Kara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I just started watching the Lord of the Rings from the beginning again and logged on here to see if I could maybe adapt some 2nd edition builds because no one had done Tolkien in 3rd edition, then I get here and... :shock:

Wow. Thank you. These are better than anything I could have come up with.
Kara
Groupie
Groupie

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Kara wrote:I just started watching the Lord of the Rings from the beginning again and logged on here to see if I could maybe adapt some 2nd edition builds because no one had done Tolkien in 3rd edition, then I get here and... :shock:

Wow. Thank you. These are better than anything I could have come up with.

I still need to adapt my 2E hobbits to 3E. But your welcome! And I'll have those up for you soon.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Hobbits Racial Template

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Hobbits (shirelings)
Hobbits are stout diverse people just like man. With a fondness for good tilled earth, pipe weed, and food in general. A respectable hobbit never has adventures, and is never late for dinner. Hobbits are broken up into three general categories. Fallohides, Harfoots, and Stoors. Fallohides, are tall even for hobbits. And are generally more outgoing, and adventurous. Harfoot Hobbits, are shorter, thinner, and lesser in build. They have browner skin, and have nimble fingers perfect for crafting. The Stoor Hobbits are stouter, and more charismatic then their other kin. And know how to swim and pilot boats. Frodo is a Stoor.

Fallohide Template (18pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 AGL, +1 INT
Defense Modifiers:
Skill Selections: Cooking 2, Stealth 2, Persuasion 2, Perception 2
Advantage Selections:
Powers:
· Shrinking 4 (Innate; -1 str, +2 Act. Defense, +4 stealth, -2 Intimidate) = 9pp
· Feature: Hobbit Resilience. = 1pp

Harfoot Template (19pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 AGL, +1 DEX
Defense Modifiers:
Skill Selections: Cooking 2, Expertise: Specific craft 2, Stealth 2, Persuasion 2, Perception 2
Advantage Selections:
Powers:
· Shrinking 4 (Innate; -1 str, +2 Act. Defense, +4 stealth, -2 Intimidate) = 9pp

Stoors Template (19pp)
Ability Modifiers: +1 AGI, +1 PRE
Defense Modifiers:
Skill Selections: Cooking 2, Athletics 2, Stealth 2, Persuasion 2, Perception 2
Advantage Selections:
Powers:

NOTES:
Hobbit Resilience is a special a feature , 1 ranks grants hobbits a +2 bonus to resist the powers of darkness, and its corrupting influence. 2 ranks grants a +5 bonus.

Michel Delving: Michel Delving is one of the most prosperous hobbit dwellings in the shire, besides hobbiton. The greatest treasure is that of the Mathom House. Which houses some rather interesting items, which can be a source of perhaps early 3rd age relics. And other important heirloom items.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I saved the elves for last, because I knew they would be the hardest to work on.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 am

Oh nice! Click . reported! 8)
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

LOTR ELves

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 am

Silvan Template (34pp)
Silvan Elves are primarily found in the northern parts of Mirkwood, or Lorien. Never having crossed the misty mountains, but some have reigned as far as Lindon. They tend to distrust strangers and outsiders.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Agi, +1 Dex, +1 Int, +1 Awa
Defense Modifiers: +1 Fort
Skill Selections: Athletics 2, Expertise: Survival 4, Perception 2, Persuasion 2, Stealth 2
Advantage Selections: Eidetic Memory, Languages 1, Woodsy, The Art, Animal Empathy, Ranged Combat 1
Powers:
Elf Physiology (12 pt multi-power, Innate)
· Elven Grace: Immunity 5 (Aging, Cold, heat, Disease, Need for Sleep)
· Elven Senses: Sense 3 (Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Extended Normal Vision)
· Light footedness: Movement 2 (Sure-footed, Trackless)

Noldar Template (33pp)
The Noldar are the wones that went across the sea. And are mighty crafters, more so than even dwarves. They are counted with creating many rings of power. Most noldar have returned to valinor, but those who still remain are wandering companies. Galadriel,Gildor, and Glorfindor are all examples of the Noldar.
Ability Modifiers: +1 Pre, +1 Awa, +1 Agi, +1 Dex
Defense Modifiers: +1 Will
Skill Selections: Expert: Specific Craft 2, Expert: Survival 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 2
Advantage Selections: Artificer, Eidetic Memory, Languages 1, The Art, Animal Empathy, The Inner Light, Majesty

Sindar Template (29pp)
The Sindar are those who chose to remain in Beleriand after they travelled across the sea. Once awakened in them, the se longing does not die. Although less powerful and wise then the noldar, the sindar are more numerous. They are reknown for their music and song. Elrond, Legolas and Celeborn are examples of Sindar.
Ability Modifiers: +1 Agi, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Awa
Defense Modifiers:
Skill Selections: Expertise: Music 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 2, Stealth 2
Advantage Selections: Eidetic Memory, Languages 1, The Art, Animal Empathy,
Powers:

Builders Notes:
There are several feats listed here, that are normally only available to elves. The woodsy advantage however could be used by Men, specially the rangers.
· Woodsy: Those with this advantage, gains a +2 bonus to Expertise (Survival) in the woods they call home.
· The Art: Elves are innately capable of wielding the magical crafts. This feat allows elves to make arcane skill checks, without having the skill.
· The Inner Light. Some elves still have a measure of grace, gifted upon them. Such beings gain a +2 bonus against dark powers (such as the corruption and fear effects of the enemy).

Special Items of Note:
Elven Bow (9ep)
· Strength based Damage 4 (ranged extra, Improved Critical)
Elven Cloak (2ep)
· Normal Visual Concealment (Blending)
Elven Boots (4ep)
· Movement (Surefooted, Trackless)
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: JD's 3E Thread: LOTR in 3E (hobbits & elves oh my)

Postby catsi563 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I thought Legolas was from Mirkwood a silvan.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563
catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: JD's 3E Thread: LOTR in 3E (hobbits & elves oh my)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:16 pm

catsi563 wrote:I thought Legolas was from Mirkwood a silvan.

So did I..
But then i found this entry.

Legolas Greenleaf was the son of Thranduil, King of the Woodland Realm of Northern Mirkwood,[1] who appears as "the Elvenking" in The Hobbit.[2] Thranduil ruled over the Silvan Elves or "Wood-elves" of Mirkwood.[1]
Although he lived among the Silvan Elves, Legolas was strictly not one himself. His father Thranduil had originally come from Lindon; he and his son were actually Sindar, or "Grey Elves", called in the singular Sinda: "Sindarin" was their language. A small minority of Sindar (headed by Thranduil by the time of The Hobbit) ruled the predominantly Silvan Woodland Realm. Thranduil himself was the son of Oropher. Legolas' mother is never mentioned; the Elves of Mirkwood have no Queen at the time of The Hobbit.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call