[Closed] - OOC - DM-learning-PBP quick 2e adventure

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

El Águila Azul

Post by badpenny »

Quote: "Volar como un águila!"
Power Level: 10
Concept: Mexican Government Powerhouse Wrestler
Legal Status: Citizen of Mexico with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Azcapotzalco, Mexico City, Mexico
Marital Status: single
Living Relatives: Soledad, Lucero, Alexandra (sisters), Jose, Eduardo (brothers), Miguel (father), Maria (mother)
Height: 6 ft. 0 in.
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black

Motivation: Responsibility
Complications: Secret, Responsibility

El Águila Azul - PL10

STR: +10 (14/30), DEX: +5 (20), CON: +10 (12/30), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +10 (Impervious 5), Fort: +10, Ref: +9, Will: +9

Skills: Acrobatics 12 (+17), Concentration 8 (+10), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Gather Information 8 (+10), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4 (+4), Language 1, Notice 7 (+9), Search 8 (+8), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (Melee) 3, Chokehold, Dodge Focus 4, Fighting Style: Wrestling, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Pin, Power Attack, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Powers:
Enhanced Constitution 18
Enhanced Strength 16
Impervious Toughness 5
Leaping 4 (Jumping distance: 500/250/125)
Speed 2 (Speed: 25 mph, 220 ft./rnd)
Super-Strength 5 (Heavy load: 25.6 tons; Power Feat: Bracing)

Attack Bonus: +7 (Ranged: +7, Melee: +10, Grapple: +25)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +10 (DC 25)

Defense: 20 (Flat-footed: 13), Knockback: -7

Initiative: +9

Languages: English, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 17 (68 ranks) + Feats 16 + Powers 56 + Combat 26 + Saves 11 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Background: Miguel comes from a long line of luchadores. When he was twelve, he was along on one of his fathers missions fighting an evil scientific genius bent on conquering all of Mexico! Junior (as his family called him) was captured trying to sneak into the evil doctor's lair and was experimented on before Senior (Máscara Azul, "The Blue Mask") could rescue him. For several weeks after El misterio del Doctor Maligno, Junior lay unconscious in the hospital. But then he began to recover, and recover he did! He displayed amazing strength and vitality. He made his debut as el hijo de Máscara Azul (or Máscara Azul Junior) and was happy to fight crime and evil along side his father. After his father's death (attributed to natural causes, although with as much adventuring as he undertook, it's hard to say what ultimately claimed the man), Junior felt he needed to break free of his father's legacy and undertook a new identity, one of El Águila Azul!

giles92
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Recruiting: DM-learning-PBP quick 2e adventure

Post by giles92 »

I have two rough ideas in mind, though my favorite one is Jack 'O' Knives.

Jack o Knives was a one of the original Revolutionary's. He was there at the Boston Tea Party and crossed the Delaware with Washington. Unfortunately, he didn't live to see the war's end. Jack was shot while scouting territory with two Ojibwe guides. The two guides decided to use the dying soldier to fix a problem their tribe was facing. Their shaman required a living vessel to capture a powerful Bakaak that had been terrorizing the tribe. Jack was meant to receive the spirit and die, thus saving an innocent tribesmen who was to be sacrificed. However, Jack's spirit refused to relinquish control even after becoming a corpse. In exchange for killing as many redcoats as possible, the bakaak allowed Jack control over his new undead body. Since then Jack has fought in almost every American war, being woken from sleep when necessary to kill America's enemies. While the ideals and practices of both parties annoy the hell out of him, Jack still fights for what he believes in. The true defeat of tyranny.

Michael McBride has been in MI-5, MI-6, and the SAS. It was only after stopping the queen's assassin, capturing one of the world's top terrorist, and defusing a dirty nuclear bomb, all before tea time, was he recruited to the real secret agency. RAZOR is dedicated to stopping the world's supernatural predators in a very proactive way. After the hellish recruitment process (literally), Michael was given a suit of magic armor and sent to kill an extremely dangerous office worker who had been opening gates to the netherworld for something to do on the weekends.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC »

Unless it come up with a different idea, here's Highwind, I thought he was at pl10, but apparently I was mistaken, he's pl8 with 120pp, but I can upgrade him if I don't think of another cocnept
[10]Attributes
STR 10(+0), DEX 16(+3), CON 10(+0), INT 10(+0), WIS 14(+2), CHA 10(+0)

[18]Saves
Toughness +5(0+5+2), FORT +7(0+7), REF +9(3+6), WILL +7(2+5)(+11 vs Fear)

[26]Combat
Attack +6, Defense +13(7+6)(FF:+4)
Vicious Squall: +12, DC21 + 1 /1 beats defense
Wind Blade: +10, DC23 (Penetrating 8)
Turbulance: DC18 Ref, 1d20+8/4 vs Str or Dex

[10]Skills[40sp]
Acrobatics 8(+11), Concentration 8(+10), Notice 8(+10), Perform(Strings) 4(+5), Sense Motive 5(+7) Stealth 7(+10)

[11]Feats
[Defensive Roll 5], [Dodge Focus 6], [Evasion 2], [Hide In Plain Sight], Acrobatic Feint, Deep Ties(Won't Back Down), Last Stand, Lionheart, Luck 2, Move-By Action, Set-Up Takedown Attack 2, Untapped Potential

[81]Powers
[13]Like The Wind: Enhanced Feats 13 (Defensive Roll 5, Dodge Focus 6, Evasion 2)

[ 6]Wind Screen: Protection 2, Impervious 4

[ 5]Air Web: Super Sense 5, Tactile(Accurate(Auto), Acute(Auto), Radius(Auto), Counters Illusion(2), Ranged(1), Uncanny Dodge(1)), Danger Sense(Tactile)(1)

[34]Wind Body: Alternate Form 7, Selective, Activation: Standard
-[12]Concealment 7 (All Visual(4), Scent(1), All Auditory(Partial)(2)), Linked to Insubstantial
-[10]Insubstantial 2, Linked to Concealment
-[ 7]Flight 5 (25mph/250mph), Concentration 3
-[ 6]Elongation 3, Projection

[23]Gale-Fu: Array 20 + 3 Alternate Powers
-Wind Blade: Damage 10, Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 6
-Vicious Squall: Damage 8, Autofire 2, Accurate 3, Full Attack
-Turbulence: Trip 10, Area:Shapeable
-Air Cradle: Move Object 10

[-6]Drawbacks
[-5] Powerloss: All Powers are lost when Adan is covered in a substantial amount of dirt, mud, clay or salt. Earth is the diametric opposite of air, to which Adan is strongly attuned.

[-1] Along with energy attacks, physical attacks that have mud, clay or stone laced with the object of the physical attack (I.E bullets made of salt stone, stone knives, a club covered in mud), bypass Adan's insubstantial power.

Complications:
Eye of the Storm: Adan generally plays things calm, cool, level-headed, but when pushed hard enough, he goes from zero to raging tempest in no time flat, and doesn't generally calm down for quite some time. After such a 'rage storm', Adan generally becomes very quiet and withdrawn, sometimes for days.

Won't Back Down: Having been beaten down since he was a powerless child, Adan's powers represent a means of fighting back against anyone or anything that would try to hurt him. He is absolutely tenacious and won't retreat from anything without an overpoweringly good reason to. It's not confidence, arrogance or even pride, but the simple will to never be stepped on ever again.

Daddy Issues: Aden's father was never recovered from the scene, and no-one could tell him what happened. With so much unknown, it's not beyond reason that he had powers of his own. In any case, Aden is susceptible to learning what happened to his father, causing him to hesitate in attacking anyone who can offer him information.
Adan grew up in a rough family situation. Abusive father, meek mother. Classic story. His powers manifested in response to his father, in a drunken rage, attacking his mother. In an outrage, Aden blacked out, and when he woke up, he was on the ground, there was a hole in the wall, he couldn't see his father anywhere, his mother was hurt, and there were flashing lights and sirens approaching.

His mother didn't survive the night and no-one would tell him what happened to his father. He ended up being placed in foster care where he proceeded to become a rebellious teenager until he was old enough to move out, all the while learning in private how to harness his powers, learning he could turn himself, in whole or part into wind and move rapidly, among other things.

Eventually, he ended up saving someone being mugged, compelled by a vision of his mother protecting him, throwing himself into protecting a perfect stranger. From then on, he felt he had found his calling, using his powers to protect people who couldn't protect themselves. In time, he came to be known as Highwind, one of Canada's premier superheroes.
Last edited by EPIC on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Post by hero4hire »

EPIC wrote:
hero4hire wrote:Okay I will be submitting an Aussie Brick (or Perhaps Paragon) named Sovereign.
*double facepalm*
Just saw you got Australia in before me so please go ahead if that is the way you want to go. :D

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Is there a Russian Superpower in this universe? I'm thinking to submit a Russian Radiation controller.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Post by hero4hire »

Okay I am straying from both Aussie and Canadian. My submission will be an Indian Mystic.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC »

I as only going Aussie because you mentioned you Canadian Shield guy, so when you went Aussie powerhouse, I switched back to Canadian lol

Spazzy
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Spazzy »

@giles92
I like both of the ideas, though to be honest I also like the Jack 'O Blades concept a little more. Just remember that all nations have been united in a peaceful manor for quite some time... so Jack hasn't been needed in some time. More specifically, America and Britain are on good terms.

@Prof Weird
I'm glad someone is going Greek! (phudump-ching!)
<crickets>
... no?
<crickets>
...right. Sorry.
But yes, I'd like to see a submission for a Greek hero.
:)

@EPIC
... ok. I'm assuming that Highwind is supposed to be the Canadian representative at this point? And yes, I'd like you to build him up to a base of PL 10 (I say base, in case you want to take advantage of my convoluted character creation house-rules). Also, I don't recognize some of your powers, could you please let me know what books you use? I'm usually very open-minded when it comes to source material, I would just like to understand the character.

@flynnarrel
In this setting, all nations that actually exist right now exist in the setting, at the same relative power they have now. The only difference is that they're at peace with each-other and united under the UN as a sort of an umbrella government.
Because of the peace, government has been able to focus on internal crime, and as a result there is no real need for superheroes until the point of the start of the campaign. As such, while the occasional lab accident or whatever gives someone powers, there really aren't any super-heroes. The reason that there aren't any super-criminals is because any nations government is capable of putting down budding super-villains before they come on to their own.
The only real exception is the under-nation; the connected sewers of all citys of the world (teleportation portals, along with old subway stations and conventionally dug tunnels, ect). There, mutants are common and mostly left alone, as they seem to want nothing to do with the surface world.
I hope this answers your question?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC »

Which powers do you not recognize? They're ll in the Ultimate Powers source book.

If you mean some of the feats, Lionhearted grants +4 to Will vs Fear and is from W&W, Last Stand lets him spend a hero point and ignore all penalties from damage for one round and is from MeMa, Untapped Potential allows him to increase a powers rank by 3 when using extra effort instead of just 2 and is from Hero High.

Cool is like attractive. But applies to people who would find him cool. Generally only applies to the younger generation, probably going to be changed. It is also from hero high. And Deep Ties attaches to a complication, when that complication would give a hero point, i get 2 instead, but the extra needs to be used by the end of tje scen or disappear (as oppose to the end of the story when hero points reset)

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by XLS »

I'm certainly interested, too. Lots of countries to choose from... I'll certainly try to submit something in the near future.

Spazzy
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Spazzy »

@EPIC
Thanks, that answers everything.

giles92
Bystander
Bystander

Post by giles92 »

So should I soften Jack up a little Spazzy? Really, I just wanted to make someone who looked menacing while wearing a tricorner hat. Rather than a blood thirsty revolutionary who only comes out when someone needed killing, how about a Jack that's mellowed throughout the years but can still bust out both the hat and murder spirit when tyranny rears it's ugly head (surprisingly, tyranny looks like a cross between Phil Spector and Snooki).

If that's the case he's probably going to get a name change to Jack 'O' Shadows. Yes, I know that's one of the names for the Dark One in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. He has like eight names throughout the series, he can let me have one.

Spazzy
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Spazzy »

@giles92
I don't mind the bloodlust so much as I was concerned about his ability to "play nice" with everyone else in the group. Whether you soften him up or not is completely up to you, just as long as the character is capable of being part of a team (because that's why America selected him). I don't mind dark characters.

Zanamaru
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Zanamaru »

This has potential! How about a Puerto-Rican hero? I was thinking of making the reincarnation of Agueyabana el Bravo. He will be a Thor-like character, but not as powerful. He'll have some shamanistic powers, mostly leaning towards a sun-god like theme. Here's the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag%C3%BCey ... n%C3%A1_II

Another idea is Sun Wukong, aka the Monkey King. Also a probable reincarnation or something. He would mainly be a martial artist with some flight and a magic weapon. Linkie! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong

Feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Here's my submission, she's an energy controller/utility/support person. I went PL 8 so, as an energy controller she won't have as much 'punch' so someone else can really shine on ranged damage. She has a lot in her bag of tricks though.

Fission PL8 180

Dr. Attanova Yavorenskya was a Russian biomedical researcher assigned to a Ukrainian plant in April 1986. The name of the nuclear power plant was Chernobyl.

Officially her job was to conduct safety inspections on the plant workers, making sure no one was over exposed during their shifts. Unofficially she was studying the effects of exposure to radiation intent on discovering a cure or treatment for cancer through radiation therapy. She had also harvested a few exotic isotopes which were a byproduct of the nuclear core’s operation in hopes one of them held the key. Her dedication and focus had an intensity fueled by her own diagnosis with spreading lung cancer. She was in her assigned lab when the alarms went off. She rushed to her nearby storage locker hoping to save a myriad of other experimental isotopes yet to be tested. She never made it out with her armfuls of unknown elements.
Attanova, caught under some rubble and unconscious from the explosion, bathed in many different flavors of radiation for hours until suited rescue personnel recovered her.

She awoke in shielded isolation.

Attending doctors (from behind shielded areas) told her that her lungs had fused into a giant mass of cancerous tissue and that it was not only threatening to expand, but expelling random bursts of exotic radiation. The good news was that she didn’t seem to need her lungs to function. They would like to do more tests but while she was unconscious no needle could penetrate her shell of solidifying energy. Even when she learned to open the field and gained some mastery over the radiations she emits her body was still wasting away.

She tried to be active in her own treatment but it is very difficult to run experiments when you are the subject. She was lamenting over that very thing when a fit of chest pain tore through her. It felt like the cancer was tearing her body apart. When it finally subsided she realized she was looking at herself.

Between the two of her, their combined knowledge and intricate control of both damaging, and a new type of radiation that repairs cells and stimulates healthy growth, they came up with a treatment to save her life, but it has to be administered 4 or 5 times a day {Usually off camera}. If prevented from this she will be rendered immobile in under two days (str to 0), and likely die in just over 3 (con to 0).

Protective lining was created and incorporated into her clothing to guard against the occasional emissions and she was approached by the Russian government to use her newly developed abilities to further the Glory of Mother Russia. She accepted on the condition that she could still work on a cure, especially to help those still adversely affected by the worst nuclear meltdown in history.

Fission PL8 180
PL 8 (10-2: Off;8[0/0]/Def;8[-2/+2]) 180/180pp

St 8 Dex 10, Con 14, Int, 18, Wis 18, Cha 10 [18pp]

Saves: Toughness 2con+8forcefield= 10,
Fort 2(con) + 7 = 9, Will 4(wis) + 5=9, Reflex +5 [17pp]

Skills [15pp]: Knowledge- Physical sciences 8 (+12), Knowledge- Biological sciences 5 (+9), Medicine 10 (+14), Notice 12(+16), Sense Motive 6 (+10), Concentration 10 (+14), Diplomacy 2 (+2/+6 ), Investigate 4(+8 ) Languages (Russian[Native], English, German, French)

Feats [12pp]: Attractive, Power Attack, Teamwork 1, Luck, Attack Specialization Radiation Control 3, improved initiative, Speed of Thought, Eidetic Memory, Move By Attack, Master Plan

Powers:
Flight, pr 4, Drawback: Medium load only, Partial Extra: 1 rank bought with Continuous [8pp]

Force Field, Continuous, Permanent, Feat: Selective. Drawback: Noticeable pr 8 [8pp]
+ Link - Shield pr 5 [5pp]
Enhanced Feat: Withstand Damage [1pp]
{Continuous effects are Subtle by default, Noticeable indicates that her Force Shields are a visibly shiny, slightly neon green effect. She can choose to thicken the shields but loses mobility and the ability to avoid attacks. Withstand Damage allows a trade off between Defense and Toughness up to -5/+5. }

Immunities: radioactive environment, Suffocation, [3pp]
Immunities (half effect: )Sleep, Aging [1pp]

Device: Costume(hard to lose [8pp])
Radiation shielding (in costume) : Immunity All Radiation Effects[limited half], {Keeping out radiation is only a tangential effect (and the only one really rules oriented), really, the suit protects others from the random bursts of radiation she tends to give out (a Complication).} (5)
Immunity: cold environment, low pressure, Vacuum,(3)
Feature: Adapts to form (stays with her in radiation form, and feat Quick Change limited to this suit only) (1)
Enhanced Feat - Equipment 1 (1)
Equipment in Costume: Fire Extinguisher (1ep), Commlink (1ep), Masterwork medkit (1ep), Geiger Counter (Detect Radiation levels) (1ep), laptop(1ep)

Obscure (All visual, all radio) Flaw: Touch range, Extra: Selective Attack, Feat: Reversible, Extra: Independent. Pr 3 [10pp+1AP] {25ft radius, an envelopment of glowing green particles that block sight and ruin radio transmissions, lasts 9 rounds, reducing by one rank every 3 rounds}
AP: Super-senses (sustained): Spatial Sense(Mental), X-Ray (Spatial Sense), Extended (Spatial Sense), Uncanny Dodge (Mental, Spatial Sense), {being able to perceive all manner of rays lets her remain aware in all directions, even seeing into things at great distances.}

Radiation Control: [28pp+8ap]
Charged Bombardment - Blast pr 8, Secondary effect, Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, incurable, precise, Penetrating 2. Drawback: no knockback, lethal only
{This is a standard release of focused Radiation. The molecules continue to excite one they hit. And Can affect people or things in alternate states of existance. DC 23 Toughness.}
AP: Overexposure - Fatigue, Area-Line (general), Full-round Action pr 7 + Damage, Alt Save-Fort, Area-Line (General), Full Round Action pr 7 (28/28);
{This attack requires an building up of will as Attanova convinces herself to use it despite knowing what it will do. A beam of radiation that soaks into organic matter, capable of liquifying organs from the inside out and draining vitality from those affected. Ref DC 17 for Half, Fatigue Fort DC 17, Damage Fort DC 22.}
AP: Bacta Particles - Healing: Standard action, Total, Ranged, Flaw: Others only, Feats: Regrowth, Persistent, Stabilize, pr 6 (uses 27/28)
(This exotic radiation is under study by some of the top radiologists. It adds energy to the regrowth centers of the body and can even heal damage thought unhealable. Dr. Attanova's greatest fear is that her new, violent assignment might require her sacrifice before she's found a way to replicate this energy.}
AP: Microwave emissions - Stun, Area Cone [general], Feats: Sedation, Reversible, Subtle, indirect {bypasses barriers} pr 8 (28/28)
{Microwave guns have been used for crowd control for decades to cause low-damage, high-intensity sensations to disrupt a person's ability to function. The effects are unpleasant and quite capable of mob dispersal.
Ref DC 18 for half, Stun Fort DC 18}
AP: Nuclear Body - Radiation [alternate] form: insubstantial 3(15pp) {energy – radiation}, + Concealment, Feats: Close. pr6 (13pp) {All visual, normal hearing, normal smell} (28/28)
{She crosses over fully to energy form she still cannot penetrate lead. She is invisible to all spectrums, makes no noise or scent detectible by trdiional means.}
AP: Radiation Sickness - Nausea, Range, Auto fire, Feats: Reversible, Homing2, Split attack Pr8 (28/28)
{She bombards a target or targets with unstable, glowing neutrons that Follow them for a limited time in effort do cause bio-disruption. Depending on how well she targets, (+2 over defense), the effects are increased (+1 up to DC of +12 total). Nausea Frot DC 18 to 22, or two effects, DC 14 to 16)
AP: Supercharge flight – Flight 6 + Damage, Area-Trail (General) pr 8 (28/28)
{Flight increases to 10, but She leaves an ion trail that damages anything in her wake. Ref DC 18 for half, Toughness DC 23}
AP: Radioactive Decay – Disintegration, (Ranged Drain Troughness, Affects Objects, Full Round Action, Linked to Blast, Full Round Action 3/r) Increased Range (Apply to both), Precise Shot (Apply to both) pr 8 (28/28)
{She focuses her lo amplitude, high energy ions in attempt to weaken the bond of matter itself. She's loathe to do so. Drain, Fort/Toughness[objects] DC 18, Damage DC 23.}
AP: EM wave - Nullify Electronics (All of Technology descriptor 2/r), Flaw: Range-Touch, Extras: Area – Burst(general), Selective Attack, Feats: Subtle, Progression – Area, pr 8 (26/28)
{Choosing to avoid electronics she knows about, she can bombard the area around herself with electro-magnetic emmanations to disrupt electronic functioning.}

Duplication 2/r, Extras: Continuous, Heroic, Flaws: Real {take worst Damage condition when they remerge}, Feat: Mental Link, pr 10 [31pp]
{Duplicate all abilities except Duplication itself, up to 150pp of abilities}

Combat:
Attack: BAB +2 [4pp]
Ranged +2(BAB),
Radiation attacks +2(BAB)+6(Radiation specialization)= +8,

Defense: 1 [2pp] +5 shield = +6 (DC 16 to hit, DC 11 if flatfooted or molecular excitment)
Init: +8
Grapple: +1

Abilities 18+ Saves 17+ Skills 15 +Feats 12 +Powers 112 +Combat 6 -Drawbacks 0 = 180

Drawbacks:

Complications: Needs to split to administer/oversee Anti-Cancer Therapy to herself daily.
Random discharge of radiation possible.
Survivor’s Guilt re: Chernobyl
Last edited by flynnarrel on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 am, edited 4 times in total.