Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Jab's Builds: Techno, Egghead, Oddball, Death-Throws

Postby Setothes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Murkglow wrote:I think that's fairly common though that the "best guy" on the team usually isn't the leader (heck I think writers often make the "worst" character on the team the leader just to give him another thing to do/make his character seem to have some value outside his otherwise lackluster abilities).

That's probably true. Mutant Force usually is 'led' by Peeper, of all things, and quite a few teams, hero and villain, are led by 'the one without powers.' (Or 'the one with dorky powers,' in the case of the Fantastic Four.)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Sure, the "Best Guy" isn't always the leader, but we're talking about a team that has FIVE GUYS with identical gimmicks, and it's full of standard brain-dead jobbers (at least Reed is a genius, and Cyclops & Cap are tactical ones)- you'd think Oddball would just pull a power-play and go "y'know what? Juggling contest. Winner leads the group." :)

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Is he ever shown wanting to lead the group? What kind of personality does he have? Maybe he's the kinda guy who wouldn't want the responsibility/hassle that comes with being the leader. Plus leaders always take the fall/blame/ect..., if he's smart he wouldn't want to be leader anyway. :wink:

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm

It probably comes down to this: Would you really want to be known as the leader of those jobbers? ;~)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 pm

I don't even WANT to know where I'd get sand if I dated her.

QUICKSAND (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: Thor #392 (June 1988)
Role: Forgotten Villain, C-League Sandman
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Thunderbolts, The Femizons, The Woman Warriors
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Sand) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Sand Form Traits"
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]
Elongation 4 (120 feet) [4]
Movement 2 (Permeate 2) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) [2]

"Dense Skin" Protection 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 9) (17) -- [19]
    Dynamic AE: "Particulate Form" Insubstantial 1 (Extras: Reaction) (11)
Immunity 30 (Bludgeoning & Slashing Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [15]

"Sand-Based Attacks"
"Sand Snare" Snare 9 (27) -- [35]
    AE: "Sand Weapon" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)
    AE: "Sand Burst" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
    AE: "Sand Blast" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (18)
    AE: "Standard Blast" Blast 10 (20)
    AE: "Sandstorm" Environment 2 (60 feet) (Impede Movement 2 & Visibility 2) (6)
    AE: "Sand Particles" Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Gliding) (2)
    AE: "Sand In The Eyes" Dazzle (Visuals) 8 (16)
    AE: Burrowing 8 (16 mph) (8)
"Sand Movement" Movement 1 (Slithering) (2) -- [3]
    AE: "Cement-Like Body" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Sand Weapon +7 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Standard Blast +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Sand Blasts +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Sand Snare +8 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Sand In The Eyes +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Weakness (Sand)- Being made of sand & earth has it's flaws. Quicksand is vulnerable to extreme heat (turning into glass, where it is much harder to move), powerful air currents (they will blow her away or spread her particles far too wide), and water (she will become a sluggish "Mud Woman" and unable to use many attacks).

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 14 (155)

-Quicksand is basically a one-note female rip-off of the Sandman, brawling with Thor once, and then falling straight into the ranks of "Uneffective D-League Villains". In the "Superia Stratagem" storyline, she actually got to beat up on Anaconda from the Serpent Society for a bit, but otherwise didn't do anything.

-Basically Sandman-Lite, but much less general power- she's a half-decent PL 9, but falls well short of William Baker. She has a pretty decent Burst Area Sand-Blast power, can sorta-fly, and she can grow real big (but gains none of the benefits regarding strength or toughness- it's just her dispersed to be larger, so I just declare that to be Elongation, really). Her nasty "I'm mostly Immune to your best stuff" power makes her a big challenge for anyone who can't stuff people inside of air-tight bubbles or something.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 pm

BISON (William "Billy" Kitson)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz & Al Milgrom
First Appearance: Thunderstrike #13 (Oct. 1994)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Basketball Player) 5 (+8) -- Uses Agility
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Move-By Action, Power Attack

Powers:
"Bison Charge"
"Horns" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Drawbacks: Inaccurate -1) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]

"Thunderclap" Alt-Effect of Strength Damage [1]
    AE: Affliction 8 (Strength; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Horns +4 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (The Cure)- Billy is desperate to find the cure for his monstrous condition.
Responsibility (Basketball)- Billy was on the fast track to wealth and success with basketball, but a High School injury to his leg changed all that.
Relationship (Shamari)- Billy walked out on his girlfriend when his career was ruined, but she sought him out despite his monstrous visage, in order to help him.
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Eight feet tall and covered with fur, Bison cannot pass for an ordinary human being.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 5 (99)

-Bison is a "Thunderstrike" character, but oddly seems to have only fought Luke Cage and some assorted villains (The Mongoose & Quicksand), having done a heroic turn of sorts after making a deal with the Egyptian God Seth to regain the full use of his broken leg. He's basically a Luke Cage-level Powerhouse with Power-Lifting, since I don't see him breaking out of the PL 8 zone (Powerhouses tend to have a higher Power Level than other Jobbers, since they're still relatively dangerous), but he's fairly inaccurate (he's had all of five fights). He can Thunderclap, nail guys with his Horn Charge, or brawl, but he's fairly limited otherwise. He got two additional appearances after Tom DeFalco's beloved Thunderstrike series (which he gladly points out wasn't as low-selling as Marvel claimed)- once with the T-Bolts era Masters of Evil, and once again in the modern Guardians of the Galaxy, helping a group of Jobber Villains (including Gorilla-Man- a man with a human head on a gorilla's body) break out of the Negative Zone prison while Blastaar's legions were over-running it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 pm

ImageImage

That's, uh... quite the makeover there.

GYPSY MOTH (Sybil Dvorak, aka "Skein", aka "Sybarite")
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Spider-Woman #10 (Jan. 1979)
Role: Jobber Villain, Odd Power Lady
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Femizons, The Night Shift, The Woman Warriors
PL 8 (96)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Psychokinesis Attacks) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Roll, Daze (Deception), Fascinate (Deception), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Low-Level Psychokinesis"
Snare 8 (Quirks: Requires Fabrics -2) (22) -- [26]
    AE: "Disintegrate Materials" Blast 4 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Penetrating 10) Linked to Weaken Toughness 4 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects Only +0) (17)
    AE: "Close Off Windpipes" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (18)
    AE: Move Object 2 (Feats: Precise) (5)
    AE: "Heart-Valve Destruction" Blast 5 (Extras: Penetrating, Fortitude Check) (20)
Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Limited to While Wearing Wings, Winged) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Snare +8 (+8 Ranged Afflicton, DC 18)
Windpipe Squeez +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Heart-Valve Attack +8 (+5 Ranged Fortitude Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Hedonism)- Gypsy Moth is in it for kicks, money, and more kicks. She's formed hedonistic cults, hung out with celebrities, and murdered her husband for his money. She's also bisexual, and joined The Thunderbolts just to seduce Songbird (tragically, it didn't work).
Reputation (Sluuuuuuut)- Sybil hits on pretty much whomever, and wears one of the sluttier costumes going.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 12 (96)

-Gypsy Moth is a VERY minor character, being a Spider-Woman villain who came up against Captain America in the "Superia Stratagem" storyline (something I'm gathering a few D-list villains from). Her whole schtick was that she was a low-level telekinetic (able to carry a maximum of 120 pounds) who specialized in manipulating the molecules of fabric. This basically let her shred super-heroes' costumes, leaving them either half-nude or otherwise tripping them up, but she had a few other unique tricks as well. She's actually reappeared a few times as "Skein" or "Sybarite" ("Gypsy" is considered an ethnic slur by the Roma people, but at least a "Gypsy Moth" is an actual animal), but still gets written off as a minor character.

-Gypsy Moth has a very weird power-set that stats up rather oddly. She can unweave fabrics, or even the inner-workings of the human body (!), giving her a low-level form of Disintegration. She can also attack people's Fortitude directly (able to Penetrate inside human bodies- such as her late husband, where it's implied he met his end via an obstructed blood vessel). This matches with a low-level Move Object (only 120 lbs. maximum), the ability to close off windpipes like a Force-User would, or simply ensnare people in their own clothing (and unless she's fighting Iron Man, that's pretty much everybody).

-She's not overly powerful with most of her attacks- her Snare is by far the most effective, and she's not even particularly fast for a Flier, but she's rather effective in a team situation- Snares & distracting stuff like that are positively LETHAL when you can set up heroes for other people to hammer on in combat. So she's a VERY low-pointed PL 8, but PL 8 all the same. But it'll only take one shot from any half-decent hero to put this dame down for the count.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Jab's Builds: Oddball, Death-Throws, Quicksand, Gypsy Moth

Postby Severance » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 am

Hail to thee king of the Jobbers! Seriously though, its always nice to see the builds of the other people outside of the big leagues we always have pushed in our face. Speaking of jobbers, I was wondering if you'd try some of Ghost Rider's villains. One in particular is Blackout, as I've been trying to stat him from my old Marvel Handbooks, but I figured you'd be better at it than I when it comes to the stat-fu.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 pm

I always get a bit confused regarding Sybil, because my first introduction to her was as a character in a piece of fanfiction which involved the Halfway House, but wasn't her obsession with soft things in part due to a crippling fear of rough surfaces? It's part of the example for the stripperiffic costumes (less touching her) and also the reason that she typically floated everywhere (to avoid having to touch the ground).

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:18 pm

She seemed to just thing bodies were "gross", and she prefered the feel of nice fabrics and the like (that's why her wings were made of thing materials). It's part of why she rarely did her "destroy their heart-valves" trick (aside from that being FATAL to most people, so she could never use it in a fight). I think the rest was just fanfic exaggeration.

And yeah, Blackout II should be easy- I've already got the Masters of Evil Blackout I on the docket. Not to mention that I've already built him for 2nd Edition, so it's a simple matter of translation. Deathwatch & Hag and Troll are also up after the Masters builds are done.

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Jab's Builds: Salem's Seven, Hercules, Living Mummy, Masters

Postby Geekery » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Baron Zemo

Jabroniville wrote:AE: "Citizen V Sword" Strike +3 (Feats: Mighty, Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (11)

In 3E, it's not "Mighty" anymore; Strength-based damage doesn't cost extra. That should save you one point on Zemo's sword (not that we're concerned with that, of course...).
no, grant morrison is never right about anything.
--BARON

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Jab's Builds: Salem's Seven, Hercules (mortal), Living Mummy

Postby Geekery » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:59 pm

I think even SERSI wore a leather jacket.

Yup. I remember someone in a comic book store pointing out that the "leather jacket and thong" look was equally ridiculous on Psylocke, but at least she had the sense to only wear the jacket in Siberia.

This is what happens when writers try to make comic books less comic book-y: costumes that are even MORE ridiculous. Masks that don't cover the face or hair, leather jackets that cover up the spandex costumes, gloves that cover up claws, shooting glasses in lieu of domino masks, the list goes on. Was the Comics Crash of the 1990s really a surprise, in retrospect? I mean, I'm a nerd, and even I can see the fashion stupidity that was on display at the time.

but last time I used Crushing Pin, someone pointed out that it was kinda redundant with the new grappling rules. Looking at it now, I kind of see it- but is the Crushing Pin automatic damage? Because standard Grabs allow you to inflict strength-damage as a standard action.

I think "redundant" is probably too diplomatic a word in this case. Back in 2E, you could choose to either pin someone or damage them in a grapple (M&M, p.156). Not both. That's where Crushing Pin came in.

In DCA (HH, p.176), there is no "pin;" the target is either restrained or bound, and the attacker can maintain that with a free action. Inflicting damage is an "extra" that requires a standard action, to prevent the 2E Broken Combo from happening again.
--BARON

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Jab's Builds: Leatherhead, Wingnut, Dreadmon, Mondo Gecko

Postby Geekery » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Nice stuff. I find Fanfic distasteful in general-- it seems to take the rule that "99% of Everything is Crap" and somehow adds another 99% on top of that.

Heh. My introduction to online fan-fiction was in Mystery Science Theater 3000 newsgroups, where the stuff was heckled mercilessly.

On an unrelated note (but still comparable to bad writing)- a fun look at John Byrne's history at writing women- I picked up on SOME of this, but I didn't realize he'd used the same repeated tropes over and over again (women being beaten or tortured, women turning evil and slutty/sexy). Funny stuff.

It's my opinion that one of the reasons She-Hulk started breaking the fourth wall during his run on Sensational was so that he could lampshade that stuff that he was writing. I think it actually ended with She-Hulk tying him up.
--BARON

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Jab's Builds: Forge, Nasty Boys, Threnody, Mister Sinister

Postby Geekery » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:It's probably faulty memory, but I could have sworn there was something where Cyclop's and Havok's blasts were the only attacks that could conceivably kill Sinister, which was one of the other reasons he was fascinated with them. The only part which is coming to mind iks an image of Sinister with a gaping hole (with growth rings of a sort, weirdly enough) in him after Cyclops had blasted him. Being Sinister, of course he's talking casually despite the viewer being able to see the wall through him.

I'm pretty sure the "talking with a hole in his head" was with Bishop, during X-Cutioner's Song.

One of the earliest retcons on Sinister (even before the whole "I've been a minion of Apocalypse for over a century" one) was that he was "faking" the vulnerability to Cyclops' blasts. This was probably because they changed their minds about Sinister's origins, going from "kid in the orphanage that Cyclops grew up in" eventually to "Darwin-era mad scientist." It was actually one of the things that drove me to stop reading comics completely back in the '90s. Between Sinister's ever-changing backstory and Spider-Man's clone nonsense, it seemed like the editorial department at Marvel was determined to prevent consistent storytelling at all costs.
--BARON

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Oddball, Death-Throws, Quicksand, Gypsy Mo

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 pm

CARDINAL (Donald Clendenon)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Darrick Robertson
First Appearance: The New Warriors #28 (Oct. 1992)
Role: Generic Flying Mercenary
Group Affiliations: The Thunderbolts, The Masters of Evil, The Air Force
PL 9 (135)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+6)
Perception 5 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Favored Environment (Airborne), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Cardinal Power Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [43]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 4 (4)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (6)
Immunity 3 (Suffocation 2, Pressure) (3)
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Radio) (2)

"Tar Gun" Snare 6 (Extras: Contagious) (24) -- (26)
    AE: "Grenade Launcher" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (21)
    AE: "Energy Blast" Blast 8 (16)
-- (53 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Cardinal Armour Strength +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Tar Gun +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Grenades +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Energy Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+8 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed/Justice)- Donald tried to become a hero, but he failed, and turned back to mercenary work.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 12 (135)

-Cardinal's pretty damn generic. He's just a flying armoured guy who flies around, does mercenary stuff, and occasionally helps the good guys out. His link to the Thunderbolts is pretty recent- he changed his name to "Harrier" and fought the Masters of Evil for a bit. Nothing too deep to go into with him. He's actually a fairly well-balanced PL 9, but like most Jobbers, has really low Saves (PL 5 in that regard). It's a pretty standard (but low-level) Powersuit, letting him fly and giving him some neat Blasts and various Alt-Effects, but overall, he's in over his head fighting Avengers (or even Thunderbolts)-level threats. He's basically just a Soldier/Merc underneath it all (he has ranks in both, to reflect the wordly and dark-underside-of-the-world aspects of the Mercenary, and the tactical know-how and experience of a regular soldier.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Roll Call”