Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Valor City: A Shining Example OOC (Players Finalized!)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Valor City: A Shining Example OOC (Players Finalized!)

Postby Severance » Tue May 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Well folks, your loyal Severance is back again to start a new campaign set in the personal setting friends and I created way back in the day to learn how to play MnM. The world of Valor City is quite well set up, but for now I can only really explain some basics (the rest will be found throughout the gameplay).

1. "Superheroes" as we would think of them haven't existed for long. The earliest two were Legend (the Superman of this world) and the Sentinel of Liberty, Patriot. Both showed up during WWII. Another actual superhero didn't show up until the 80's with the power armored hero known as Killswitch. Since then more superpowered individuals (and costumed vigilantes) have made their presence known. However, the "unusual criminal element" (ie. supervillains) have increased also, possibly as a response.

2. This setting is modern, and its feel will be mature without having to involve the senseless violence of the uber-gritty Iron Age. This doesn't mean you aren't allowed to play a character based on someone like Wolverine or a more dark character, but just remember the setting. Think of modern day Marvel (without the bad writing choices) and you've got a good idea.

3. You start out PL 8, as you are solo heroes eventually brought under the banner of a mysterious philanthropist who is devising a team to deal with threats to Valor City. Threats that the police, though well trained, are not always capable of dealing with. You will eventually level to PL 10 and possibly higher so there will be a lot of potential for growth (both character wise and roleplay wise)

3. The rules will be 3e but I use and will allow certain Advantages from 2e supplements such as Warriors and Warlocks and Mecha and Manga. EDIT: One change will be made to 3e in that Impervious works as it did in 2e. Makes creating a character much more streamlined in my opinion.

4. If you have any further questions that are more specific (things that would be required for your character's background) just PM me and I will respond as quickly as possible. I'll give this recruiting a few days, so till around Friday, May 27.

This is a list of people that have currently shown interest. Everyone has an equal shot who shows interest. Once you've place character ideas I will post them next to your name.

1. Facet (Arthur Eld)
2. Intrepid (Task)
3. Instance (tygertyger)
4. Split Second (flynnarrel)
5. Mute (CelticREI)

Valor City Blues
1. Seraph (Sojobo)
2. Alpha (Night_Arrow)
3. Epitaph (Shock)
4. Greymatter (url not available) (hero4hire)
Last edited by Severance on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Valor City: A Shining Example OOC (Recruiting)

Postby Task » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I am indeed in the interest list :).

For those of you who don't have access to Severence's personal inbox :P I'll be creating a battlesuit character. He'll be starting out closer to Jango Fett or the Rocketeer, but will quickly gain more tech as we move on.

I want to avoid the child prodigy turned rich man turned hero cliche. He'll probably be an MIT dropout who joined the military for some direction in life. When he got out, he recreated an advanced armor rig that the army had him use, made modifications (it's hard just to get in to MIT, so he knows a thing or two) and then becomes a vigilante.

I'll come up some cool motivation for him becoming a hero, as well.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid
Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Sojobo » Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Heyas all. I never got a chance to play my Valley Girl martial angel, so I'm re-pitching Seraph for this game. I'll probably be tweaking the build, since I haven't looked at it in a while, but its pretty much mostly there.
Sojobo
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Facet
PL 8 120

Abilities
Strength 10/2, Stamina 4, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Powers
Diamond Form (Alternate Form-Move Action) 53
Morph 1 (Diamond appearance)
Impervious: Immunity 8 (cold, heat, suffocation, disease, poison, sleep, starvation & thirst), Protection 8 (Impervious Toughness 9), Enhanced Fortitude 6
Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 8
Prism Powers: Feature 1 (Can separate light into all colors), Senses 1 (Low-light vision)
Light Reflection-Energy Absorption 10 (light damage, Enhanced Blast)

Advantages: Beginner’s Luck, Improved Critical (unarmed), Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 4, Second Chance (light damage saves), Ultimate Effort (Toughness saves)

Skills: Athletics 1 (+3/+11), Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+6), Deception 2 (+3), Expertise (music) 3 (+4), Expertise (pop culture) 4 (+4), Expertise (singing) 6 (+7), Expertise (streetwise) 4 (+4), Insight 2 (+3), Intimidation 4 (+4), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat (reflected blasts) 1 (+6), Stealth 4 (+5), Vehicles 1 (+2)

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +6 Damage 2/10

Defense
Dodge 4 (3), Parry 4
Toughness 12/4, Fortitude 10/4, Will 6 (4)

Abilities 32+Powers 53+Advantages 9+Skills 19+Defenses 7=120

Complications
Secret Nobody knows Facet is actually pizza-delivery boy Josh Weems.
Motivation Doing Good. Deep down, Josh can't stand to see something wrong go uncorrected, be it a rude waiter or a bank robber. He's constantly butting in where he may not be wanted.

•Joshua Weems has no idea where his powers come from. He just knows that one day, he was delivering pizzas, as usual, when he was hit by a drunk driver doing 80 in a pick-up truck. His poor little Yugo didn't stand a chance, and normally, neither would he. But at that moment, with metal crumpling and glass shattering around him, he turned into a diamond boy. He was completely unharmed, but the truck driver wasn't so lucky. Josh called 911 and was just able to reverse his transformation when they arrived. The adrenaline of the car accident and saving the man's life made a deep impact on Josh that day. In the six months since then, he's snuck out of his house nearly every night to right wrongs and fight injustice wherever he finds it.

He's fairly well known as Facet, but is starting to feel a serious strain in his personal life. He can hardly stay awake in his college classes anymore, and has to use his mom's car to make pizza deliveries now while saving up to get a new car. Josh doesn't know his father and secretly, he thinks he inherited his powers from him. But its not a big time-sink for the eighteen year old, thinking never was. He's more concerned with working on a cool catch phrase and trying to learn the ropes of crime-fighting beyond just, you know, fighting criminals.
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Severance » Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Sojobo: Seraph seems pretty cool as far as a concept goes. Kind of a Donald Blake/Thor relationship going on there, which is always cool.

ArthurEld: Neat! Facet feels like a cross between Colossus and Peter Parker.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby hero4hire » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 pm

I have to withdraw interest due to time constraints. :cry:
Last edited by hero4hire on Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby tygertyger » Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 am

So many concepts swimming around! Do I explore the last scion of a forgotten pantheon trying to reclaim their greatness? The girl with the overactive immune system that has taken to seeing the entire city as its body? The average joe with high resistance to damage but no real offensive capabilities trying to play with the big boys but not feeling unable to really contribute? Gah!

*runs and hides from ATT*
...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
PCs:Ice Queen | Ro Den
GM: Return to Caldera
tygertyger
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Severance » Wed May 25, 2011 1:56 am

tygertyger wrote:So many concepts swimming around! Do I explore the last scion of a forgotten pantheon trying to reclaim their greatness? The girl with the overactive immune system that has taken to seeing the entire city as its body? The average joe with high resistance to damage but no real offensive capabilities trying to play with the big boys but not feeling unable to really contribute? Gah!

*runs and hides from ATT*

No! Don't run into the long grass!

So many interesting concepts you have! I can't wait to see any one of them!
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby tygertyger » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 am

Severance wrote:No! Don't run into the long grass!

*wild Severance appears*
tygertyger
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Severance » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

tygertyger wrote:
Severance wrote:No! Don't run into the long grass!

*wild Severance appears*

wild Severance uses "GM Approval". Severance is waiting.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby tygertyger » Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 am

Ok, this is the character I'm currently thinking of: basically he has been temporally 'split' (in a classic science explosion-type event). What this means is that he has access to the multitudes of himself who exist about a second into the future and a second into the past. Mechanically his powers will break down something like the following:

Enhanced strength when not moving (as his temporal selves stack up)

Partial concealment when moving (as his outline blurs with his multiple selves moving at different rates)

Increased perception as he has many eyes and can, basically, see a moment into the future (this would contribute to an enhanced fighting score as well)

Multitasking and multi-attacking via the quickness and area strike powers (calling on his other selves to lighten the physical or mental load)

Otherwise he'll operate as a low-tech vigilante with a few strong knowledge skills (as he'll be a teacher by day).

Still working in the build, but (most importantly) have found an image (courtesy of the very talented Storn):

Any comments, critiques or suggestions for mechanics are welcome :)
Last edited by tygertyger on Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tygertyger
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Task » Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 am

INTREPID

Power Level: 8

Abilities
Strength 4/2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 5, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Powers
Bionic Arm: Enhanced Strength 2, Quirk (Right Arm Only) • 3 points
Mk1 Combat Suit: 47 points, Removable (-9 points) • 36 points
    Nano-Weave Plating: Protection 6 • 6 points
    Jump Jets: Leaping 3 (60 ft) • 3 points
    Energon Forearm Blades: Strength-Based Damage 4, Penetrating • 8 points
    Onboard Computer: Enhanced Advantages 8 (Close Attack 4, Ranged Attack 5), Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4) • 16 points
    Self-Contained Environment: Immunity 9 (Life Support) • 9 points
    Sensors: Senses 5 (Extended Vision, Infravision, Microscopic Vision, Radio, Ultrahearing) • 5 points

Equipment
Arsenal: Array (16 points)
    Energy Rifle: Ranged Damage 8 • 16 points
    Energy Pistol: Ranged Damage 5 • 1 point
    Force-Concussion Grenade: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) • 1 point
Sentinel V1: Motorcycle • 12 points
    Size: Medium, Strength 1, Speed 6, Defense 10, Toughness 8, Features: Navigation System, Remote Control

Advantages
Benefit (Well-Off), Close Attack 4, Diehard, Connected, Equipment 6, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery (Technology)

Skills
Athletics 4 (+8), Expertise: Science 3 (+8), Investigation 4 (+9), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+5), Ranged Attack: Firearms 1 (+8), Technology 10 (+15), Vehicles 4 (+7)

Offense
Initiative +6
Energon Forearm Blades +8, Close, Damage 8 (Penetrating 4)
Energy Pistol +8, Ranged, Damage 5
Energy Rifle +8, Ranged, Damage 8
Force-Concussion Grenade, Ranged Burst Area, Affliction 5
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 4

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8
Toughness 8, Fortitude 5, Will 5

Abilities 44 + Powers 39 + Advantages 13 + Skills 17 + Defenses 7 = 120

Complications
Guilt: Alex feels terrible for making a mistake that cost a man his life. Helping others is his means of atoning for this.
Secret Identity: Alex Carter, Advanced Technical Engineer

Biography
Alex Carter was very smart. He graduated top of his class at one of the best high schools in the country. Going on to MIT, Alex was instrumental in building a personal flight system, but it was flawed. The first tests were promising, but once a real pilot took it up, a critical system malfunctioned and the rig exploded, killing the test pilot.

Feeling guilty for how it turned out, and not being the only one to place blame on himself, Alex left MIT and took the military's offer to serve as a field researcher. While with the military, Alex designed cutting-edge ballistic absorption materials and perfected the miniaturization of advanced electronics.

After the disaster at MIT, Alex insisted that he be present during initial live tests. Given the danger of the missions that his tech was being developed for, Alex was given advanced combat training and sent to SERE school to develop his survival skills.

Being in the field proved invaluable. Scott was able to make technological adjustments on the fly, and the real-time information he gathered helped him create better tech for use in the field. But it also held its share of dangers. During one mission, Alex was the victim of an RPG strike. His teammates got him home alive, but just barely. The damage Alex had suffered was too great, and the doctors amputated his left arm.

Alex left the military and returned home to Valor City. He got a job as a technical engineer at an advanced prosthesis company. His work helped to create better prosthetics for injured vets, but he obviously had a personal interest in the work. Later Alex perfected the designs and created a bionic limb that replaced his entire left shoulder-girdle and arm.

After winning awards for his work at the prosthesis center, Alex was contacted by a man who asked him how badly he really wanted to help people. Crime and decadence were corrupting a city whose very name demanded a better standard. The police needed help, and Alex had the right tech for the job.

Image Image
The XL-7 Paratrooper Insertion Suit that Alex created for the military, and his most recent improvement on the design.

Sentinel V1
Last edited by Task on Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid
Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Sojobo » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

I don't know what possessed me to put ALL of Seraph's powers (and most of her PP) into a Device, and then ALSO give her a Power Loss Complication around that Device - I must have been bitten by the twink bug the last time I edited Seraph weeks ago. I've since fixed her.

When Stephanie bonded with Serial's Halo, it downloaded all the angelic martial arts into her brain, so she keeps that even if she loses the Halo. However, losing the Halo strips her of her more fancy angel powers: no more Angelic Arsenal, and more significantly, no more Angelic Bod and all those Enhanced Abilities, which reduces Stephanie's Presence to -3 AND she loses her Attractive 2. Additionally, her Curse complication kicks in - and she turns into a shriveled, weak old crone ... who knows kung fu. This way, Stephanie has a motivation to keep the Halo - she doesn't want to look ugly - but she isn't completely useless in situations where the Halo is taken from her.
Concept: Stephanie Nadine Lovejoy was the super elitist it girl of high-school - beautiful, rich, popular, b*tchy - but loses her legacy scholarship to the Ivy League she wanted to attend (probably alcohol arrest related), gets cut off from her family's money, and ends up having to work part time as a bartender at a strip club, live in a seedy little apartment, and attend a local community college. Her drastically changed budget strains at her previously luxurious, shop-a-holic lifestyle, forcing her to scavenge at thrift stores. Its in one of these stores that she spies a weird looking tiara, looking much like a halo - which happens to be the spiritual prison of a holier-than-thou, self-righteous angel-like warrior named Seriel from another plane of existence. When Stephanie tries on the halo, the two are inextricably bonded together. Now, they're a down-on-their-luck, beautiful, elitist, self-righteous, holier-than-thou split-personality angel with a chip on their shoulders who have worked out a joint-custody partnership of their body - fighting the good fight somedays, shoe shopping (on a budget) other days. And while Steph and Seriel can't stand each other, they have no choice but to work together - without Stephanie, Serial will again be powerless and imprisoned, and without Serial's halo in her possession, Stephanie will age and wither, cursed to look like an ugly crone. At the very least, Serial's halo can change shape, making it the ultimate fashion accessory.

Seraph
Stephanie Nadine Lovejoy / Seriel
PL8, 120pp

ABILITIES (-6pp):
Strength 3*, Stamina 3*, Agility 4*, Dexterity 5*, Fighting 10, Intellect 0, Awareness 4*, Presence 1^
*[0] without Serial's Halo / ^[-3] without Serial's Halo

POWERS (103pp):
Angel Kung Fu: Enhanced Advantages 24 [See Advantages], Enhanced Fighting 10, Enhanced Skills 7 [See Skills] • 51pp

Serial's Halo: 65pp, Removable (-13pp) • 52pp
    Angelic Arsenal: Array (8pp)
    • Celestial Smite: Cumulative Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed) • 8pp
    • Chakram of Light: Ranged Strength-based Damage 0, Accurate 3, Ricochet 2 • 1pp
    • Halo of Holding: Ranged Affliction 4, Limited Degree (Resisted by Dodge; Vulnerable, Defenseless), Accurate 3, Homing • 1pp
    • Spiritual Sword: Damage 4, Alternate Resistance (Will) • 1pp
    Angelic Bod: Enhanced Advantages 2 [Attractive 2], Enhanced Strength 3, Enhanced Stamina 3, Enhanced Agility 4, Enhanced Dexterity 5, Enhanced Awareness 4, Enhanced Presence 4 • 48pp

Ultimate Fashion Accessory: Feature 1 (Serial's Halo can appear as any article of clothing; usually a pair of sunglasses) • 1pp

Wings: Flight 5 (60MPH), Wings • 5pp
ADVANTAGES [3pp]:
Connected, Fascinate [Persuasion], Luck

Angelic Bod: Attractive 2

Angel Kung Fu: Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion, Fast Grab, Favored Environment: Airborne, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Critical 4 (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

SKILLS [8pp, 16ranks]:
Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 8 (+9/+14)

Angel Kung Fu: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 4 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+12)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Celestial Smite +10 (Close Cumulative Affliction 4, Fortitude DC14)
Chakram of Light +11 (Ranged Strength-based Damage 0 (3), Ricochet 2, Toughness DC18)
Grab +10 (Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Grab, DC15)
Halo of Holding +11 (Ranged Affliction 4, Homing, Dodge DC14)
Spiritual Sword +10 (Close Damage 4, Will DC19)
Trip +10 (Improved Trip)
Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 3, Crit16-20, Toughness DC18)

DEFENSE (11pp):
Dodge 8, Parry 10
Toughness 6/3, Fortitude 7, Will 8

Abilities -6 + Powers 103 + Advantages 3 + Skills 8 + Defenses 12 = 120 Total

Complications:
Curse - Losing Serial's Halo turns her into an ugly old crone
Dyslexic - Serial's written language goes from right to left; it gets confusing
Inferiority Complex - Steph does not enjoy being poor / Seriel does not enjoy cavorting with mortals
Motivation - Seriel: Smiting evil / Steph: Faking it till she makes it
Relationship - Currently not speaking to her rich scientist/industrialist father and surgeon mother
Secret Identity - Stephanie just wants to be normal
Split Personality - Seriel literally is the invisible angel on her shoulder

Design Notes:
While I originally planned on using the QCG's martial artist with only a few angelic tweaks, I started deviating way too much from the original martial artist build, making Seraph more of an angelic warrior or weaponmaster who happened to have a high Fighting score, so I returned back to the martial artist's roots. This version is more what I originally planned - a limber, agile, versatile martial artist who just happens to have wings and glowing angelic energy weapons she can pull out of nowhere when her fists and feet can't get the job done.

Offensively and defensively, Seraph is slightly under-capped, being around PL7.5 offensively and PL7-7.5 defensively. With her Advantages, though, she can manipulate all of her caps however she wants, and when she is flying she gets a +2 bonus to either attack or defense, lifting either her offense or defense to slightly above PL. She's got a whole bag of angel kung-fu combat maneuvers she can pull of - grabbing, tripping, disarming. She also has several angelic weapons she can materialize, all of which add to her versatility.

Stephanie by herself is not particularly capable - all she had before she became Seraph were her looks and her rich friends and other people she can sponge off of. However, because of how Serial's halo came into Stephanie's possession (shopping: an act of vanity), Stephanie is now cursed; while Serial's fighting experience is permanently bonded to Stephanie (Angel Kung Fu), Serial's personality and life force (and fancy angel powers) are part of the Halo (a Device), and without it granting her Angelic Bod, Stephanie's Ability scores drop - and her Presence drops to -3! Additionally, she loses her Attractive advantages and turns into an ugly old crone... who still knows kung fu, but is significantly weaker.

Personality wise, Stephanie is pretty much Cordelia Chase from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and her character development will probably mirror Cordy's), and Seriel is Sarah Connor from Terminator 2 with the moves of Black Widow from Iron Man 2 and the speech patterns of Thor.
Sojobo
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Severance » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, the characters everyone has posted look pretty good so far. I'm holding out for anymore participants. Can't wait to see what is next! Just a couple days of recruitment left.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sojobo » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm going to be in Hawaii until Monday, so ignore any silence from me as lack of interest.
Sojobo
Zealot
Zealot

Next

Return to M&M Game Room