Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Elektra, The Hand, The MLF- Moonstar, Wild

Postby Jabroniville » Fri May 13, 2011 9:24 pm

"Back in my younger days, during a rare bout of depression, I would occasionally wonder if there was a mutant power any DUMBER than just having wings and flapping around. Thanks for providing it, Forearm."
-Archangel

FOREARM (Michael McCain)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: The New Mutants #86 (Feb. 1990)
Role: Powerhouse, Jobber to Strong Guys
Group Affiliations: The Mutant Liberation Front
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Computers) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Terrorist) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Throwing) 5 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Amidexterity), Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Four Arms, Super-Strength"
Extra Limbs 2 (Four Arms) [2]
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Mutant Pride)
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- With four arms, Michael cannot pass for an ordinary human, even if his large size goes unnoticed.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 10 (103)

-Among the most iconic (if you can call any member of this bunch of losers that) is Forearm, their resident powerhouse. He's easily one of the most recognizable members, thanks to a fairly distinctive appearance and goofy-ass name (an early character design involved a lame mask that ended up on Kamikaze), so he's shown up in virtually every incarnation. He had the crap luck to be the Team Powerhouse when Liefeld & Nicieza were working hard to make a newly powered-up James Proudstar a Juggernaut-fighting badass, so Forearm got KO'd a lot. One issue, he's grappling Cable from behind and Warpath just punches him across the room. The next time we see him, he gets hit by Boomer's Time Bombs, then Psylocke just kicks him in the head. The third time, Warpath basically demolishes him off-panel, joking that he was toying with him, then "Whoops. I hit the boy too hard." as he busts him through a wall. Not a lot of respect, he got.

-He was believed killed in a Super-Fighter Tournament in a Mr. X-related Wolverine storyline (his neck was snapped by Anaconda), but the next writer forgot about it and there he was (either they lacked Wikipedia, or -as usual- the writer didn't bother to check), hopping around with the MLF. He got a teensy bit of character development in later years, being seen as the most level-headed, non-crazy MLF member, but it never really got dealt with. He's currently on the De-Powered List following M-Day. It's entirely possible we've seen the last of him, but if there's a next guy who needs a legion of scrubs to get beaten up, we could very well spot this four-armed mook again.

-Forearm is among the more powerful members of his team in terms of damage, which really isn't saying much. He's a PL 8, hitting his caps offensively and defensively, and he's really not that great. Most of his team has really low Saves across the board, and is fairly limited to one avenue of attack. He's a standard Brick in many ways, but with some added perks that having four arms gets you- he's a MONSTER to grapple with, despite being "low end" on the Powerhouse scale with only Strength 9 (he's stronger than Cable, but much less so than the Class 80-ish '90s Warpath), and he's got considerable grappling skills. His Toughness is a little tricky to figure out- he obviously hangs in the Powerhouse class, but less so than Warpath-type Class 80 beings. He took a slash from Archangel and only bled painfully, as opposed to being decapitated or something. Anaconda broke his back at the END of a fight, which could happen to a lot of guys. But PSYLOCKE once KO'd him after a Boomer Time Bomb, and she's like Strength 2 or something. So I went with Toughness 8 as a mini-Powerhouse, which allows him to be weakened by the Blast to be finished off by a kick.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Elektra, The Hand, The MLF- Moonstar, Wild

Postby Jabroniville » Fri May 13, 2011 9:25 pm

SUMO (Jun Tenta)
Created By:
First Appearance: The New Mutants #93 (Sept. 1990)
Role: Powerhouse, Fat Guy, Expendable Mort
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Terrorist) 3 (+3)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 5 (+5, +9 Size)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Hold, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Mass-Shifting"
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) [9]
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Enhanced Strength 4 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [4]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Sumo is much larger than an ordinary human, and would probably be recognized as a mutant fairly quickly.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 13 (99)

-Ah, Sumo. Liefeld was clearly just throwing whatever stupid idea he had at the page, here (Wikipedia says he's the same fat sumo who threatened Captain America in a Kirby-done '60s issue, but I don't know about that). A big fat guy who pretty much fit the name perfectly, he had some "Mass Shifting" powers that led him to stomp and sit on people, but couldn't take a hit as well as he could dish 'em out. He was so silly that he actually got killed off in a "Cable" Limited Series, being one-shotted by Nate as the M.L.F. showed up. They immediately bailed, leaving their silliest member's corpse lying on the ground. And here's the funny thing: he was NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN. Nobody ever went "Hey, remember that Sumo guy? Sucks that he died, eh?" or nothin'- just dead and gone. Silly character. And apparently named after the late John Tenta, aka "Earthquake" of the World Wrestling Federation (who was, in fact, a Sumo wrestler in Japan).

-Sumo's a classic PL 8 scrub villain- an under-pointed powerhouse who's got some pretty bad accuracy, but a little bit of quickness. He's a bit like a Mini-Blob in many ways, possessing light Immovability, Protection, Immunity to Falling Damage, and a few strength-based tricks, but he's fairly light on his feet and hits Slam attacks pretty well. Didn't save him against Cable (his Fort & Toughness are fairly low for a powerhouse, and he was caught flat-footed by a sneak attack), but you can't win 'em all. Not a bad guy in a group, like most of the M.L.F.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Jab's Builds: Moonstar, Wildside, Strobe, Sumo, Forearm

Postby catsi563 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:37 am

ya know what. let me say this about forearm in kind of a rhetorical fashion.

Why is he considered lame when he has 4 arms that cna be used to bash a guy into submission? Especially when you consider that Gor is considered very cool and has the same power.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sat May 14, 2011 4:09 am

I have to say that I liked forearm back in the days and I still like him. At least there some attempt at originality in him.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

peteyrock
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peteyrock » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 am

I love your commitment in stating out the more or less "tossed aside" characters. You keep it coming, because I'm really enjoying it! In fact, I think I'm actually getting wistful.

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Sat May 14, 2011 9:53 am

Based on your write ups I went out and got Oz, seasons 1 and 2.

Thanks it is really good stuff.
Dangerous when cute

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat May 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Catsi: Who's Gor?

Woodclaw: Yeah, he's inventive. There's a four-armed member of the Savage Land Mutates called Barbarus with the same power, but I'm not sure if Liefeld even knew about him (those guys were unknowns by the '90s).

Death Tribble: That's great to hear- as much as I love being a cynical dork and complaining about things, I enjoy LIKING things a whole lot better, and if I can spread the love for one of my favourites, that's awesome. I ain't one of those "It's popular, so now it sucks" people.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 15, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat May 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Behold: The only female mutant who DIDN'T get six feet of leg and double-D boobs on a svelte, muscular figure as part of her Secondary Mutations!

THUMBELINA (Kristina Suggs or Anderson)
Created By:
Role: Shrinking Character, Butt-Monkey (to the other M.L.F.ers)
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
0/5 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+3)
Expertise (Terrorist) 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Shrinking & Density Control"
"Small Size"
Shrinking 16 (+8 Dodge/Parry, +16 Stealth, -8 Intimidation) (Extras: Normal Strength) [48]
"Tiny Sized Fighting" Enhanced Advantages 2: Close Attack 2 (Flaws: Limited to Smaller Sizes) [1]
"Sneak Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to When Enemy is Denied Dodge Bonus) [1]

"High Density"
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Protection 2 [2]
"Immovable" Enhanced Strength 1 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
High Density +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sneak Attack +8 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +3
"Small Size" Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Reputation (Picked On)- Thumbelina is mocked by the other M.L.F. members for her small stature and her uselessness in battle.
Relationship (Dragoness)- Thumbelina is loyal to the only M.L.F. member that does not make fun of her.
Relationship (Slab)- The two are brother and sister, and quite close.
Relationship (Hairbag)- The two are apparently married.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 8 (100)

-Thumbelina is very much a non-combatant on the M.L.F., tending to take care of things back at the base, acting as Stryfe's assistant. She's got almost no showings on the battlefield to her name, does a whole lot of whining, and gets made fun of by most of the team. She pretty much just ran in, shrank down, and fixed a bomb one time. Next appearance she actually punched out a guard. Next time, she was frozen solid by Iceman casually. She semi-recently showed up in a reborn M.L.F. under Stryfe again, but this goofy chick (seriously- an ultra-short plumper of a purple-haired girl in a bright purple outfit? What was Liefeld even THINKING?) doesn't get a whole lot of play.

-I've yet to see Thumbelina actually use real Density-control powers or use her strength in her miniature form, and I've read just about every story featuring her. Despite that, every bio site lists these as powers, so maybe they got added during issues I DON'T have. Either way, she's a pretty bad combatant, relying on a mix of Density and Shrinking to meet her caps at all, where she's super-accurate, but still not that tough. I didn't go the "Compression" route as an Extra for Shrinking because she only has 4 ranks of it as opposed to 16.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Liefeldian anatomy at it's finest. I suppose he's giving equal gender treatments by making the spines bend impossibly on women AND men, so that's something...

KAMIKAZE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
First Appearance: The New Mutants #93 (Sept. 1990)
Role: Flying Blaster
PL 9 (84)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Move-By Action, Power Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Flight & Explosive Blast"
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Explosion" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) [13.5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Explosion +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 19--9.5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 27.5 / Defenses: 15 (84)

-Kamikaze was bad, even for this team, mainly by virtue of having absolutely no personality, great feats (he fought Cannonball once, showed up in X-Force #1 and wasn't even seen in the melee that followed, then died in X-Cutioner's Song), or cool, unique powers. He basically flew at people and set off an explosion on contact. And yeah, he was so bad that he was one of the ONLY fatalities in the aforemention crossover, as he snuck up behind Archangel while he was fighting Forearm, and ended up getting his head sliced off ACCIDENTALLY when Warren turned around. And the rest of his team pretty much forgot he ever existed, as he was NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN (Iceman was all "we're gonna talk LATER, Warren ol' buddy", but they NEVER DID). Kind of fitting, as his costume was as generic as he was- a visor mask (just like Dragoness, his teammate! Because there's NO design Liefeld won't copy, even if it's his own!) and a white unitard with a Rising Sun on it.

-Kamikaze is the cheapest of his entire team in points, since he has the least showings and is one of the only ones to have died. He needs to be Airborne to be even half-decent (he can be tough to hit, but he tends to use All-Out Attack, negating that a bit), can set off a powerful Burst Damage effect (but at short range), and is otherwise pretty low-end across the board.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 pm

REAPER (Pantu Hurageb)
Created By:
Role: Weapon Guy, The Snarky One, Fate's Butt-Monkey
PL 8 (89)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Scythe) 3 (+9)
Deception 2 (+2)
Investigation 2 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Scythe), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Set-Up

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Paralytic Secretions"
Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Exhausted/Paralyzed) (Extras: Extra Condition, Cumulative) [21]

Linked to

"Reaper's Scythe" (Flaws: Easily-Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (9)
Adds Reach to Affliction Power (1)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Scythe +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Paralytic Secretions +9 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- With chalk-white skin and black Liefeld Patches over each eye, Pantu cannot pass for a normal human being.
Bad Luck (Limb Loss)- Reaper just CAN NOT seem to stop losing limbs. Shatterstar in particular has it out for him.
Weakness (Magnetic, Electrical Attacks)- With cybernetic limbs, Reaper is vulnerable to magnetic attacks, and may take further effects from electrical damage.
Obsession ("Feeb")- Reaper apparently can't go a full issue without calling someone by this odd insult. Dunno why.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 15 (89)

-Good ol' Reaper here is as iconic as it gets for this team- he's been in every incarnation thanks to his stand-outish appearance (the Liefeld Eye Circles, white skin, big Scythe) and goofy dumb-assed attitude. I swear this guy used the term "Feeb" as an insult in half a dozen issues, which I'm pretty sure is the only time in pop culture history someone did so. His power, like alot of "Sharp weapon user" guys', brought some unfortunate issues in the he was unable to even HIT most characters, but that wasn't even the worst of his luck. In X-Force #1, while tangling with Shatterstar (initially shown as a much worse fighter, but now bad-assed up to elite status), he ended up with his HAND chopped off. Later, in X-Factor, his leg was sliced off in a Portal accident. Then he did okay, near-crippling Quicksilver with a sneak attack during the X-Cutioner's Song. But then he got his OTHER hand chopped off by Shatterstar in another fight! Then Wildside accidentally blasted him in the chest (believed to be fatal, but the next writer nixed it) because Shatterstar bluffed him! Then he got teleported into the Ultraverse for some inexplicable adventures with the Juggernaut and failed A-list X-villain Siena Blaze. Nowadays, he's comatose and de-powered, just like Wildside. Very weird stuff.

-Reaper is a bit unfortunate compared to his buddies. He's a decent fighter and decently defensive, but he's limited to Dodging & Parrying almost all the time, or his defense just falls completely apart (witness two separate hand-losses to Shatterstar)- he's only PL 6.5 defensively, and PL 6 at dodging, and even THEN only if he's not flat-footed. He's mainly a Weapon Guy, though he gets modified a bit. I decided to Link the Scythe and the Paralytic nature of his touch (I only ever saw him use it with the Scythe, though) together. This means he gets a double-whammy in every round, but since it's fairly low-level (he's more accurate than damaging) it's not a game-breaker or overly cheap. Plus he's one of the cheapest members of his team in terms of points. Eventually, Weapon-X would give him cybernetic scythe-arms that could turn normal, removing his "Easily Removable" Flaw for a pricier guy. He still sucks, though (even if he did stun Wolfsbane).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Jab's Builds: Sumo, Forearm, Thumbelina, Kamikaze, Reaper

Postby Setothes » Sun May 15, 2011 8:54 am

With new looks, and some characterization, these MLF dudes could actually be interesting. Strobe probably wouldn't even need that much, she's already a bit too good for that group, I think...

Some year, it could be funny to have someone discover that the source of infinite highly trained and 'go poof when they die' Hand ninja is some mutant in a bunker in Japan who has the same powers as Madrox. He's, like, ninety, but his dupes always appear as he did in his prime. He has a deathly fear of ever meeting Wolverine in person, since he's felt 'himself' die a hundred times on those claws...

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 am

Jabroniville wrote:Death Dribble: That's great to hear- as much as I love being a cynical dork and complaining about things, I enjoy LIKING things a whole lot better, and if I can spread the love for one of my favourites, that's awesome. I ain't one of those "It's popular, so now it sucks" people.

Please don't call me Dribble. Gets me thinking about the cartoon Top Cat and that's never good.
Dangerous when cute

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 am

death tribble wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:Death Dribble: That's great to hear- as much as I love being a cynical dork and complaining about things, I enjoy LIKING things a whole lot better, and if I can spread the love for one of my favourites, that's awesome. I ain't one of those "It's popular, so now it sucks" people.

Please don't call me Dribble. Gets me thinking about the cartoon Top Cat and that's never good.

Ha! Someone should stat Topcat, Jinxie, Klondike Kat, Savois Faire (he's everywhere!), Dudley Do-Right and all those old cartoon characters. That would be awesome.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 pm

hah- sorry, totally misread what your handle was. All-lowercase apparently screws with my mind.

Catsi: OK, apparently you meant "Goro" from Mortal Kombat. Kreuz clued me in. Yeah, Goro rocked- he at least looked monstrous combined with being four-armed and huge. It's a totally-acceptable mutation in a monstrous person. Problem was, Forearm and Barbarus are just big muscular dudes- one of my own self-created Powerhouses was a four-armed Behemoth-type, and I think those work better.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun May 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Oh, my...

I had almost forgotten about these guys. They really, really, really, really suck...they're...*sniff*...beautiful...*sniff*...

I have to see them get beat up. It's just what they are meant for. If I don't do it, someone has to.

It is...their...DES-tiny... 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Return to “Roll Call”