Star Wars 3e

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Star Wars 3e

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

I've been working on this for some time on my own, but I figured I should share in case others wanted to try it out. Here's my take on a Star Wars conversion for DCA/M&M3e. I'll happily take requests if there's something that you need/want created. I'm not an authority, but I do believe I'm a relative expert in Star Wars lore and M&M rules.

CREATURES
Force-users
Force Adept
Jedi Knight
Jedi Master
Jedi Padawan
Sith Lord
Sith Warrior
Non-Force-users
Bounty Hunter
Elite Republic Trooper
Smuggler
Miscellaneous
Droids
Mundane NPCs
Sentient Species

EQUIPMENT
Buying and Selling
Standard Equipment
Weapons
Armor
Explosives
Lightsaber
Melee Weapons
Ranged Weapons
Vehicles
Speeders
Starships

THE FORCE
Force-Sensitivity
Lightsaber Forms
Force Powers
Battle Meditation
Deflection
Farseeing
Force Boost
Force Cloak
Force Healing
Force Lightning
Force Rebuke
Force Sense
Mind Trick
Sever Force
Telekinesis

LOCATIONS
The Death Star

SPECIAL RULES
Advantages and Skill Uses
Hyperspace
Vehicle-to-Vehicle Combat
Last edited by Task on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Star Wars 3e

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 12:39 pm

SENTIENT SPECIES
This isn't meant to be an exhaustive resource, merely the most commonly seen races in the movies/comics. Most racial traits found in other source materials were created solely for use with that RPG system. Given M&Ms open ended mechanics, many of those traits are moot points. In the comics/movies/animations most races are given the exact same abilities as humans. It varies in some areas, but very few. To represent that, nearly all aliens here are considered "near-human" and only those with actual powers are given their own listing.

All racial traits must be bought with the character's normal power points. Some races are more powerful, and power must be bought.

Cathar
The Cathar are known for being strong, effective fighters, and are considered unique for their feline features and personality attributes.
Racial Stats: Languages (Basic; base: Cathar); Claws: Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Critical [Unarmed]), Low-Light Vision: Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision)

Humans/Near-Humans
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Since Humans and Near-Humans are the most common sentient species, they are often considered to be a standard or average to which the biology, psychology, and culture of other species are compared. Notable species of Near-Humans are the Kiffar, Mirialan, Rattattaki and Zabrak.
Racial Stats: Languages (Basic; base: <Native Language>)
Note: Baseline humans use Basic as their base language.

Kel Dor
The Kel Dor evolved on Dorin, a world with an atmosphere consisting mostly of helium and a gas unique to that world. They are quick a wise with a compassion that rivals their vigilantism sense of justice.
Racial Stats: Languages 1 (Basic; base: Kel Dor); Immunity 2 (Suffocation), Low-Light Vision: Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision); Complications - Gas Breather: Kel Dor must wear a gas breather when off their home world or they will begin to suffocate.

Miraluka
Miraluka are remarkably similar to humans, except for two important and distinctive differences, Miraluka have no eyes, but they have a natural ability to “see” by using the Force.
Racial Stats: Languages 1 (Basic; base: Miralukese); Force Sight: Senses 9 (Accurate, Acute, Concealment Penetrating, Radial and Ranged Mental Sense)

Nautolan
The Nautolans were one of two races that evolved on Glee Anselm. They are an amphibious race, which prefers to live underwater. Nautolans tend to reflect the moods of those around them.
Racial Stats: Languages 1 (Basic; base: Nautila), Second Chance (Insight - Evaluate); Amphibious: Immunity 1 (Drowning), Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation - Aquatic), Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision)

Rodian
Rodians are widely distrusted by other species, who consider the Rodians to be generally greedy, immoral, and violent. Much of this reputation stems from Rodian culture: Rodian culture romanticizes death and the hunt, and the species reveres bounty hunters.
Racial Stats: Languages 1 (Basic; base: Rodese), Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Infravision)

Togruta
Togrutas are a peaceful, quiet people who are fierce in combat. Loyal to a cause and happy in larger groups, they work well with others and easily fit into teams of mixed cultures.
Racial Stats: Languages (Basic; base: Togruti), Second Chance (Stealth - Hiding), Teamwork; Echolocation: Senses 2 (Accurate Hearing)

:arrow: UPDATE I: I removed the negative modifiers to abilities. Seems that in a game this open ended a player can modify stats as they see fit. Besides, most species only have negative modifiers because of previous RPGs, such hindrances are not seen in the characters in their comic book, movie or animated appearances. I'm considering further simplifying things by making all races use a standard build like the humans/near-humans and only note the ones with actual complications or powers.

:arrow: UPDATE II: I removed most racial traits and folded some more aliens into the "Human/Near-Human" listing since we rarely see a difference in the official source materials.

:arrow: UPDATE III: Added Penetrates Concealment to the Miraluka's Force Sight ability to better mirror the Force power of the same name. When using Miraluka as a Force-user, this power shouldn't be a part of an array as it would blind them when they switch powers.

:arrow: UPDATE IV: Added Rodians per player request.
Last edited by Task on Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 1:16 pm

LIGHTSABER FORMS
The following advantages represent lightsaber forms taught by the Jedi, Sith or another group of dedicated lightsaber wielders.

FORMS ADOPTED BY THE JEDI COUNCIL

SHII-CHO - COMBAT
The most basic of the seven forms, this form includes the fundamental elements of all the lightsaber forms. You gain a +2 circumstance bonus to Disarm and Smash attempts. This circumstance bonus is not affected by power level.

MAKASHI - COMBAT
This form represents the ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat. While wielding a lightsaber and using the Accurate Attack maneuver, you add 1.5 times the penalty you take to damage to your attack roll.

SORESU - COMBAT
The most defensive and passive of the lightsaber forms, masters of this form wait for the right time to strike. If you do not attack while wielding a lightsaber, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your Defense until the beginning of your next turn. This does not apply to area or vehicle mounted weapons. This circumstance bonus is not affected by power level.

ATARU - COMBAT

Practitioners of this form were always on the offensive, overwhelming their opponents without giving them a chance to react. If you attack and miss an opponent with a lightsaber, they suffer a -2 penalty to attack you until the beginning of your next round.

SHIEN - COMBAT
This form was designed to use the opponent’s ranged attack against them. When using Deflect with the Reflect Extra, all Reflected attacks are made with a +2 circumstance bonus to attack. This circumstance bonus is not affected by power level.

DJEM-SO - COMBAT
This form was designed to use the opponent’s melee attack against them. If an opponent attacks you in melee combat and misses, your next melee attack against that opponent has a +2 circumstance bonus to hit. You gain no bonus against opponents who do not attack you or who attack and hit you successfully (whether or not the attack has any effect). This circumstance bonus is not affected by power level.

NIMAN - COMBAT
This form attempted to balance all elements of the forms that came before it into a less demanding combat style. While wielding a lightsaber, you can use your attack bonus in place of Deception to feint and trick in combat as if your skill bonus were your deception bonus. Your opponent opposes the attempt with their attack bonus or Insight (whichever is better).

JUYO/VAAPAD - COMBAT, RANKED

Juyo employs bold, direct movements that are unpredictable and confusing to the opponent. If you score a critical hit with a lightsaber, you can make an additional attack against the same opponent immediately as a free action, with the same attack bonus as the attack that scored the critical hit. If you have 2 ranks in this advantage, you have mastered the Vaapad lightsaber form, granting you a +2 circumstance bonus to the attack you make after scoring a critical hit.

UNORTHODOX FORMS

JAR’KAI - COMBAT
This form allowed duelists to maintain a strong offense as the speed of attack that two blades granted would overwhelm most opponents. While wielding two lightsabers (one in each hand), you deal an additional +1 damage.

SOKAN - COMBAT
This form’s teaching revolved around using the environment itself to gain a tactical advantage in combat. Reduce the DC for performing Acrobatic maneuvers by 5.

TRAKATA - COMBAT
By quickly shutting off then reigniting the blade of a lightsaber, the duelist could cause confusion in their opponents, allowing for unorthodox feints in combat. You can use Deception to feint in combat as a move action rather than a standard action without the usual -5 penalty to the check.

:arrow: Update I: Minor update to Form VII. I didn't like All-Out Attack for any form in a setting that is so unbalanced in favor of defense.

:arrow: Update II: Major overhaul on most of the forms here. I'm still looking into possible powers to use with the forms that still have advantages for their Master levels - as well as a better one for Form III.

:arrow: UPDATE III: Altered Djem-So's condition to Vulnerable. Dazed would do any good since the Dazed character's actions would already be over and they'd recover on their next round due to Instant Recovery. Vulnerable still grants a bonus on the Djem-So practitioner's turn.

:arrow: UPDATE IV: Complete reworking of the lightsaber forms, this time in Advantage format. Should be much easier to add a form to a Jedi or Sith now.
Last edited by Task on Fri May 27, 2011 1:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Thu May 12, 2011 1:43 pm

You have done a lot of nice work here. Though there is nothing I can say to help you - I am not a SW aficionado - I wanted to commend your efforts.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Black Mamba wrote:You have done a lot of nice work here. Though there is nothing I can say to help you - I am not a SW aficionado - I wanted to commend your efforts.

Thanks. I have nearly all of the Force powers written up in 3e friendly format, but I don't think it does the best job of expressing the little powers that they're capable of, so I'm working on modifying it. If I can't come up with something in a few days, I'll just post those powers.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm

FORCE-SENSITIVITY
Typically all creatures who are Force-sensitive exhibit the same or similar abilities, some of which they may not even know about. Moving objects, influencing thoughts and using a lightsaber are highly-advanced abilities that take years of training, and thus are not the forte of every Force-sensitive. Some aberrations, like Corran Horn, are cut off from certain aspects of the Force. In instances such as these, simply don't purchase the Feature that corresponds with that particular ability.

Force-Sensitivity: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Improved Initiative, Luck, Uncanny Dodge); Senses 1 (Force Awareness) • 3 points

:arrow: UPDATE I: This is a much simpler approach than creating an entire new skill with new mechanics. Previously I went too closely to SAGA edition - which, as an RPG, is already suffering under constraints that are normally not presently demonstrated in the comics, movies and animations.

:arrow: UPDATE II: My previous version of Force Sensitivity was too costly to use with Jedi of lower levels, making it impossible to allow them to balance with other characters. This is much cheaper and more in-line with the source material, as some Jedi didn't even have trained abilities in what I gave them.
Last edited by Task on Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Thu May 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Most of them seem fine to me, with the exception of:

Sense Force seems like it should be purchased as Senses 1 (Force Awareness). It should probably have some Extended as well. I think it is worth more then the 1 point Feature, IMO.

Sense Surrounds is really Senses 4 (Penetrates Concealment). That really is too much to give for 1 point.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Actually, Sense Surroundings was meant to be Senses 2 (Accurate Force Sense) with the Check Required flaw. I need to amend the description to make it fall in line with that ability, I didn't mean for it to penetrate cover (I shamelessly copied the Saga edition description :shock:).

Force Sense was indeed built as Force Awareness. In fact, I built it as: Senses 3 (Force Awareness, Ranged Detect Force), Check Required. I could add extended to Force Awareness to simulate it. Check Required is a flat -1/point that the check needs to exceed 10. My version is more limiting than that, so I'd say it's worth more of a discount, so it should probably even out to 1pp in the end.

Yes/No?

EDIT: Fixed the Sense Surroundings description. It's much more debilitating now, since it effectively has 3 ranks of Check Required attached to it (total cost of -1pp if bought alone).
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Thu May 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Task wrote:Actually, Sense Surroundings was meant to be Senses 2 (Accurate Force Sense) with the Check Required flaw. I need to amend the description to make it fall in line with that ability, I didn't mean for it to penetrate cover (I shamelessly copied the Saga edition description :shock:).

Ok. That makes more sense. :)

Force Sense was indeed built as Force Awareness. In fact, I built it as: Senses 3 (Force Awareness, Ranged Detect Force), Check Required. I could add extended to Force Awareness to simulate it. Check Required is a flat -1/point that the check needs to exceed 10. My version is more limiting than that, so I'd say it's worth more of a discount, so it should probably even out to 1pp in the end.

Awareness allows you to detect the use of a Force Power. It is already Ranged, but its Perception Skill penalties are -1 per 10'. Allowing that to extend out to thousands of kilometers or even light-years seems like it could get expensive, even with the Check penalties. Extended would also need to be purchased on the Ranged Detect Force as well. Of course it is a minor ability in the grand scheme of things and a GM would be well within his rights to not make it cost as much. As I said above, I am not a SW expert so my thinking tends to be more on the superhero side. :)

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 pm

I agree with that. Since most of the uses of extended would be plot devices, like how Obi-Wan felt the destruction of Alderaan and Yoda sensing the mass assassination of nearly the entire Jedi Order, I think that version of extended can be hand-waved. The detect at kilometers could stand to be cut down a bit, but since it requires a Standard action (up from the move action that Perception checks require) and an Expertise check, I think it should balance out.

I'm not trying to argue. I really do want to make it fall in-line with M&M rules as far as is possible, and your input is definitely helping.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 pm

On second thought, even if both uses of Sense Force were considered features off of the base skill, they should be separate features. I made the detect part a trained use of the skill (requiring a separate Feature that isn't in the standard Force-Sensitivity power) since not all Force-sensitives seem to be capable of it without training.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Battle Meditation
This power was introduced in KoTOR and has since seen a lot of popularity in other sources, predominantly the comic books. The following build for it allows for an overall increase in combative ability, but leaves exactly what is increased in the hands of those in combat, which makes for better play in an RPG setting.

Battle Meditation: Burst Area Luck Control 1 (Bestow HP/Luck to Others), Extended Area 8 (1 mi), Luck 3, Check Required 5 (Expertise: The Force), Reduced Range 2 (Close), Selective, Increased Action 2 (Move) • 7 points

Battle Meditation is the most powerful buffing ability in the SWU. To imitate lesser buffs, such as Valor, remove the Extended Area extra.

:arrow: UPDATE I: Gave this ability the Check Required flaw like I'm doing with most Force powers that require concentration. This also brings the cost down a bit, which wasn't the reason for the add (a power like this should probably be expensive just to keep it rare).
Last edited by Task on Sat May 21, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

FARSEEING
The vaunted ability to see faraway places. Since Remote Sensing doesn't accurately depict this ability (it's more of a vague vision from a faraway place rather than the capability to see on the other side of a wall), I had to create a custom power which I based on Post/Precognition.

Farseeing: Senses 4 (Farseeing) • 4 points

For Jedi and creatures, like the Kiffar, who can see the past, simply add Postcognition to their Force-Sensitive power. Postcognition is not unheard of among the Jedi, but is exceptionally rare - although Force-sensitive Kiffar, as previously mentioned, have this ability naturally.

Description
Farseeing: You can extend your senses to gain a vague, momentary impression of events happening around a particular being in some distant place. You can make an Expertise: The Force check to pick up on information relating to a being. The Gamemaster sets the DC for these checks based on how obscure and distant the being is, from DC 15 (a vague vision that may or may not be accurate) to DC 30 (for near complete knowledge of events happening around the being as if you were actually present). Because Farseeing overrides your normal senses, you are vulnerable (at half your normal active defenses) while using it, since you are less aware of your immediate surroundings. Your farseeing visions last for as long as you concentrate. Farseeing does not apply to sensory effects or any ability requiring interaction.

:arrow: UPDATE I: Changed the governing skill of this power to Expertise: The Force to bring it in-line with similar powers.
Last edited by Task on Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 pm

FORCE BOOST
Force-users are renowned for their physical feats and resilience. While several sources have split these abilities into different uses, it is easy enough to do by being selective of which abilities you purchase. The listed ranks are for the average Force Boost; it would be ok for a character to go up or down by one rank in any given area, but I wouldn't go more than that as such high abilities haven't been demonstrated in the canon.

Force Boost: Enhanced Strength 2; Enhanced Stamina 2; Enhanced Agility 2; Enhanced Dexterity 2; Enhanced Fighting 2; Leaping 2 (30 ft), Speed 2 (8 mph) • 24 points

These powers don't have to be activated because, other than the video games where we have to personally activate them, we don't ever see Jedi doing it. It should be role-played though, like Yoda needing his cane once again after fighting Count Dooku.
Last edited by Task on Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Task » Thu May 12, 2011 8:40 pm

FORCE CLOAK
Several Jedi and Sith have shown the ability to make themselves invisible to both the Force and sensory perception. Both of these abilities is best handled through the Concealment power.

Force Cloak: Concealment 8 (All Visual, Auditory and Olfactory Senses), Check Required (Expertise: The Force), Passive • 7 points

Force Stealth: Concealment 1 (The Force), Check Required (Expertise: The Force) • 3 points

:arrow: Update I: Updated this power to coincide with the new Force-Sensitivity rules.

:arrow: UPDATE II: Removed the Resistible flaw because it made the effect too easy to overcome. The Check Required gives it a degree of difficulty, which is reflected in the comic books (Palpatine would have aced, this check, so it would be present in his build).
Last edited by Task on Sat May 21, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Valor City - Intrepid

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”