Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Northstar, Aurora, Persuasion, Box I & IV

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:04 am

GOBLYN (Goblyn Dean)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Terry Shoemaker
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #48 (July 1987)
Role: Animalistic Creature, The Berserker, Background Character
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, Gamma Flight, The Derangers
PL 7 (79)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+6)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Claws & Teeth), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Animalistic Form"
"Animal Senses" Senses 7 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Detect Magic- Ranged, Radius & Acute, Detect Evil) [7]
"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Claws +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Laura Dean)- Goblyn's key goal in life is to protect her twin sister.
Disabled (Abandoned Child)- Goblyn has never learned to speak, otherwise she lacks the ability.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 14 (79)

-Goblyn and her sister, Laura, have the interesting origin of having been twins, when Goblyn was discovered in the whom as a mutant. Attempting to destroy the mutant twin, the doctors firing radiation into the womb stopped when they saw the other twin, Laura, protect her. In actuality, Laura used her own mutant power to teleport her twin to the Dreamworld. This resulted in a big story-arc in the Bill Mantlo/Jim Lee era of Alpha Flight, as Laura & Goblyn could only switch places between Dreamworld and Earth, and all of Alpha Flight had to combat the dream-realms and the Dreamqueen. The sisters actually stuck around for a while on Beta Flight, but eventually quietly disappeared from the book except for some sporadic appearances, and they've been in Marvel Limbo for over a decade now.

-Goblyn's a little spitfire, being a PL 7 scrapper, but isn't much danger to any elite crowd. She's little and pretty accurate and hard to hit, but her damage just can't keep up with her skill. She also lacks a large portion of the other things that make animalistic-scrapper types, like Regeneration. I didn't bother statting the "Switch with sister" thing, since that's Laura's thing.

---

OK, I've heard of Rapid Soap Opera Aging Syndrome, but last I saw, this chick looked like she was ten, tops. And this was AT MOST five years after that story, in REAL TIME.

PATHWAY (Laura Dean)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Terry Shoemaker
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #48 (July 1987)
Role: Teleporter, Team Kid, Background Character
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, Gamma Flight, The Derangers
PL 7 (79)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 5 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Teleport) 7 (+7)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Opens Portals to Other Dimensions"
"Teleport Attack" Teleport 10 (Extras: Portal +2, Accurate, Extended, Ranged Attack for 7 Ranks +0) (67) -- [69]
    AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Portal +2, Accurate, Extended) (60)
    AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
"Not Quite So Weak" Power-Lifting 1 (25 lbs.) [1]
Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -1, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Goblyn)- Laura strongly attempts to protect her sister, and even did so in the womb.
Prejudice (Child)- Most adults will not take a child seriously.
Disabled (Autistic)- Laura suffers from autism, and as such occasionally withdraws into total silence.

Total: Abilities: -12 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 70 / Defenses: 15 (79)

-Pathway, usually just called "Laura", is the autistic twin sister of Goblyn, and is pretty much a non-combatant with a mass Teleportation power. It's mighty, but the rest of her is just a kid, completely unable to even fight properly, though she's PL 7 thanks to a Teleport Attack.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:08 am

Seriously, ComicVine only has ONE PICTURE on this guy.

MANBOT (Bernie Lanchenay)
Created By:
Steven T. Seagle & Scott Clark
First Appearance: Alpha Flight (vol. 2) #1 (August 1997)
Role: Team Robot, The Mole
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, Beta Flight, Departmen H
PL 9 (205)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Computers) 10 (+12)
Perception 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 2, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Mechanical Body"
"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Immunity 45 (Fortitude Effects, Mental Effects, Interaction Skills) [45]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 13) [21]
Quickness 2 (Flaws: Limited- Mental Tasks Only) [1]

Communication (Radio) 2 [8]
Comprehend 2 (Languages) [4]
Super-Senses 8 (Acute & Analytical Scent, Infra-Vision, Radar 4) [8]
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) [18]

"Net" Snare 10 (30) -- [34]
    AE: Blast 10 (Feats: Split, Variable Descriptor) (21)
    AE: "Chi-Omicron Missiles" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
    AE: "Nerve Toxin M-11" Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
    AE: "Focused Nerve Toxin" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Cumulative, Ranged) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Chi-Omicron Missiles +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Net +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Nerve Toxin +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Focused Toxin +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness 12 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Secret (Department H Agent)- Manbot's true mission is to report on Alpha Flight's activities to General Clarke.
Responsibility (More Robot Than Man)- Manbot has none of his original personality left.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 148 / Defenses: 10 (205)

-Manbot's the most forgotten of the second Alpha Flight team (and that's saying something); a guy who was built into the recovered Box armour, and turned into a government spy in Alpha Flight. He eventually overcame his programming and turned good or something, but he basically vanished with the end of the series and never reappeared.

-Robots can be very expensive in 3e, especially if they've got a whole swack of powers and abilities on them. Manbot here is a mere PL 9, but costs over TWO HUNDRED POINTS, because he's got a ton of junk attached to him. Snares, Missiles, Blasts, Immunities, the works.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:10 am

MANIKIN (Whitman Knapp)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Dave Ross
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #44 (March 1987)
Role: Summoner, Background Character
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, Beta Flight, Gamma Flight
PL 4 (138)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 1 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Technology 2 (+6)
Treatment 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Summons Genetic Relatives From Across Time"
"Summon Highbrow" Summon 8 (Extras: Active, Controlled, Heroic +2, Horde, Variable Type) [64]
"Summon Proto" (Extras: Multiple Minions +2) [16]
"Summon Apeman" (Extras: Multiple Minions for 5 Ranks +2) (Flaws: Limited to One Minion) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Kara Killgrave)- Manikin and The Purple Girl are dating, at least for a while.
Responsibility (Normal Life)- A young doctor, Whitman has a career and a life to think about, and doesn't really have the heart for super-heroics.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 14 (138)

MINION #1: APEMAN
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Dave Ross
Role: Summond Minion, Animalistic Fighter
PL 7 (75), Minion Rank 5
[b]STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Spear) 3 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Diehard, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Simian-Like Physiology"
Features 2: May Use Hands as Feet [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animalistic)- Apeman cannot speak to humans.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 9 (75)

MINION #2: HIGHBROW
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Dave Ross
Role: Team Genius, Teleporter, Background Character
PL 7 (118), Minion Rank 8
[b]STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 8 (+14)
Insight 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 8 (+14)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 2 (Specialized Eyeglasses), Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Futuristic Physiology"
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
"Teleport Others" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 11- 50 tons) (Extras: Accurate, Extended, Ranged Attack for 7 ranks +0) (Flaws: Distracting) (50) -- [51]
    AE: Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 11- 50 tons) (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (Flaws: Distracting) (43)
Equipment:
"Specialized Eyeglasses"
Senses 8 (Infravision, Detect Powers- Ranged & Analytical, Detect Energy- Ranged & Acute) (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Teleport Attack +6 (+7 Ranged Teleport, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 19 (118)

MINION #3: PROTO
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Dave Ross
Role: Animal Buddy, Background Character
PL 7 (114), Minion Rank 8
[b]STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack

Powers:
"Strong For a Blob" Power-Lifting 2 (25 lbs.) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Amophorous Shape"
Insubstantial 1 [5]
Protection 2 [2]

"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"Corrosive Touch" Damage 5 (Extras: Reaction +3, Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken Toughness 5 (Extras: Reaction +3, Affects Objects) [50]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Corrosive Touch +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 10 (114)

-Hey, it's Manikin! I remember him from my old Alpha Flights (drawn by pre-awesome Jim Lee)! The guy had one of the weirdest powers in comics history; allowing him to call forth three buddies from "past and future genetic lines", being a caveman, a future-tech guy, and a protoplasmic blob of goo. He was a minor-league Beta Flight guy, eventually retiring because he had no major combat powers of his own, and somesuch thing. A whacky concept that could be REALLY powerful if amped up, or if turned into a mega-villain and adding some more Minions into the mix. I like him only because he's an interesting, unique character to stat up.

-Manikin's only PL 4 by himself, but operates with PL 7 Minions, so they're minor-league Minion-types. Apeman's a standard Animalistic Brawler, taking some bits from The Beast. Highbrow's a Flight/Teleport Attacking guy (costing by far the most points). Proto's a burning-touch blobby dude with a pair of Auras, one Damaing (with a Secondary Effect) and another Weakening Toughness. It's an expensive power, Summon Minion, but you get what you pay for with it, and most anyone would argue that the power is inherently unbalancing at high enough numbers of Minions. Especially with all those extras involved. He can toss all three Minions out at once, basically being three characters for the price of one. But watch Manikin himself; the guy would drop to a stiff breeze, and couldn't handle the slightest protracted combat.

-Regarding his use of Summon: I used Highbrow as the base for all the costs, since he was the priciest guy. Then I added the first Multiple Minions Extra, because Proto was also 8 ranks of it. Then, for the last rank, I used Apeman for 5 ranks, but since the second rank of Multiple Minions gives you TWO Minions, I threw in a Flaw to make it half-priced (since you're literally getting half of the Extra). In the end, it's an 85-point power on a weak-ass guy, but I think it fits.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grayson
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: Jab's Builds: Persuasion, Box , Manbot, Goblyn, Manikin

Postby Grayson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:22 pm

When I first got into comics and roleplaying for that matter, I knew a guy who was a huge Alpha Flight fan. Dude loved that Goblyn chick. He was as associate of mine by extension of being a friend of my best friend. Me and my best friend thought he was an idiot because we thought these guys (Alpha Flight) were total losers.

Still, how in the hell could they have not come up with a better code name than "Box?" I mean seriously, "Box?" Then some dumb ass thought it merited being used on a second guy. Geez.

Nevertheless, first rate job on the builds.

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Postby cassius335 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Jabroniville wrote:-Regarding his use of Summon: I used Highbrow as the base for all the costs, since he was the priciest guy. Then I added the first Multiple Minions Extra, because Proto was also 8 ranks of it. Then, for the last rank, I used Apeman for 5 ranks, but since the second rank of Multiple Minions gives you TWO Minions, I threw in a Flaw to make it half-priced (since you're literally getting half of the Extra). In the end, it's an 85-point power on a weak-ass guy, but I think it fits.

My head hurts...

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:20 pm

ImageImage

FLASHBACK (Gardner Munroe)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #1 (Aug. 1983)
Role: Summoner
Group Affiliations: Beta Flight, Gamma Flight, Omega Flight
PL 4 (75)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Summons Duplicates From Other Timelines"
Summon 3 (Extras: Heroic +2, Horde, Multiple Minions +6) [33]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Power Drawback (Future Selves)- Flashback's Duplicates are actually future versions of himself, drawn from the timeline. As such, they are vulnerable to death, and if one is killed, Flashback too is doomed to die one day, when he puts on the "Reverse-Colour" suit and goes to be slain. He cannot prevent this, as the costume always appears to him.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 10 (75)

-Flashback is a Gamma Flight (later Beta Flight) member who's got a Madrox gimmick, but only by bringing in future selves. He got fired with the rest of the trainees, and turned to evil as part of Omega Flight after being mentally controlled. He was actually a big part of Lobdell's run years after retiring in the initial run (after a 'future' self was killed, and he refused to go on, believing that if he hung up the costume, he would never 'turn into' that version), trying to alter history or somesuch thing. Kind of a useless character all-around, though, but at least he was deliberately pretty bad.

-Duplication in a fairly basic form, he's only PL 4, so he NEEDS those dupes to be any good at all, and even then, he's barely a match for a standard group of Police Officers from the Main Book's builds. Note, though, that in spite of him seemingly having the "Real" or "Feedback" Flaws from 2e, he didn't actually suffer while his duplicate died; he just reacted badly and decided to retire. So he doesn't even get any real fun things with his power. He just pops in a legion of really crappy fighters with low strength.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 pm

NEMESIS (Amelia Weatherly, aka "Jane Doe", "something St. Ives")
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #7 (Feb. 1984)
Role: Weapon User
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight
PL 9 (109)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Close Combat (Sword) 2 (+12)
Deception 6 (+7)
Expertise (History) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 7 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Smash, Power Attack

Powers:
"Longevity"
Immunity 2 (Aging, Need to Eat) (Flaws: Source- Requires Souls) [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immortality 1 [1]

"Scell- Promethium Blade" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Unbreakable) [16]
Mind Reading 10 (Feats: Subtle) (Flaws: Limited- In Temporal Movement Only, Limited- Greatest Fear, Shame, Love or Lust) (6)
"Sword Strike" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (13) -- (18)
    AE: "Super-Speed Strike" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 6) (8)
    AE: Movement 3 (Temporal Movement 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 3) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Source- Blood Sacrifice) (12)
    AE: Movement 3 (Temporal Movement 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 3) (Extras: Affects Others, Attack +0) (Flaws: Source- Blood Sacrifice) (12)
    AE: Teleport 8 (Feats: Increased Mass 3) (Flaws: Distracting) (11)
    AE: Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
-- (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Scell +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Super-Speed Strike +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Living Embodiment of Retribution)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 14 (109)

-Nemesis has a bizarre, confusing history, mainly popping up in the Alpha Flight books again and again (unless the old ones died and new ones popped up) as some sort of melee-fighting Spirit of Retribution, then vanishing. Her latest appearance in the Lobdell run gave her some extra powers, and a real last name, but she's still a weird character who makes little sense. When a totally forgettable character has a three-page backstory, you know something's wrong. I'm not even sure if it's really three different people, or three different identities that she's using here.

-Nemesis is a pretty cheap PL 9 Scrapper/Weapon-User type build. Using Scell (her unbreakable sword), she can Teleport or move through time (but only with a blood sacrifice), bringing others with her. She can discover one of their greatest secrets in the process as well. Plus, she's super fast and can fly. Beware of her deadly Multiattack Strike, as she can add that sucker to her sword. But really, kind of a simplistic little set-up.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Gotta be one of the most underrated super-hero designs ever made.

SNOWBIRD (Narya, aka "Anne McKenzie Thompson")
Created By:
John Byrne & Chris Claremont
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #120 (April 1979)
Role: Shapeshifter, Inhuman Godly Character
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, The Flight, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The God Squad
PL 10 (184)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Northern Demigoddess) 8 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Teamwork

Powers:
"Arctic Demigoddess"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Cold, Teleportation) [3]
Immortality 1 [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Magic-Sensitive" Senses 2 (Detect Magic- Radius) [2]
Senses 4 (Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Situations Directly Involving Her -2) [1]

"Healing Glow" Regeneration 8 (Flaws: Limited to Human Form, Uncontrolled) [2]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Shapeshift" Shapeshift 11 (Flaws: Limited to Animals) (Quirks: Remains White -1, Limited to Canadian Animals -1) [75]
(All Animals Posses The Following Advantages)
"Animal Prowess" Enhanced Advantages 14: All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Startle, Tracking (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Natural Weapons +8-12 (+8-11 Damage, DC 23-26)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Animal Personae)- If Snowbird remains in an animal's form for too long, it will begin to subsume her personality. Eventually, she may be unable to return to her normal state at all.
Responsibility (The Northern Gods)- A Demigoddess and daughter of Nelvanna, Narya must often do her duty, and the bidding of her superior deities.
Enemy (The Great Beasts)- The ancient enemies of both mankind and the Arctic Gods, the Great Beasts must be stopped at all costs.
Relationship (Son & Child)- Snowbird married and had a child for a period of time, but both were killed (Men in Refridgerators! MEN IN REFRIDGERATORS!!). She still honors their memory.
Weakness (Leaving Canada)- Snowbird will occasionally grow weak and ill if she leaves Canada's borders. This may even kill her.
Drawback (Changing Forms Rapidly)- Snowbird may become pained greatly by switching between forms without first shifting to her "human" one. This is rather inconsistent, and appears to have been written out by now.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 97 / Defenses: 15 (184)

-Snowbird was one of the big identifying members of Alpha Flight in it's initial form, but she was written out of the series early on, after the big major battle against the Great Beasts took place. A demi-goddess, she was a shapeshifter of fairly high power, but was killed after some complicated stuff that ended up with Sasquatch in her body, and not resurrected until fairly recent times, which is a span of almost ten years. As a result, she doesn't have the kind of respect or legitimacy that a lot of other 'long-time' super-heroes do, and is kind of a forgotten character. Her last big appearance was on "The God Squad", a Hercules-led team that defeated the Skrull Gods in one of the best "Secret Invasion" storylines they made. Still though, I love this design- you don't get a lot of powder-blue & white out there in the realm of comic books, but it's a good complimentary set of "cooling" colours, and she certainly looks one hell of a lot cooler than any "Dove" ever did. Plus, Animal-Shifting has always been a favourite power of mine, especially when it's colour-specific so they produce some unusual images.

-It IS a bit unfair that she could ALSO transform into a Sasquatch, though, so it's for the best that it was a rare accomplishment for her. I mean, being the big Strongman on his team was Walter's BIG THING, in addition to being the smart guy, and all of a sudden Snowbird gets all of his powers, PLUS MORE?

-Snowbird's Shapeshift allows for 55 points maximum added to the rest of her build (including about 14 Advantages she will nearly always possess). Since she didn't turn into Sasquatch in EVERY FIGHT, I'm going to assume all those ranks were basically a one-time thing (Sasquatch's upgrades would be 62 points). So far, she gets 55 points' worth of powers to put wherever she likes (a -1 Variable to account for the limitations of them being only Animals, though occasionally she pushes it and breaches into GOD-level forms... I usually call stuff like that "Extra Effort"), usually being super-powered versions of regular animals (it's implied they're usually only the regular animals, but that doesn't account for her turning into a REGULAR wolverine, which then tore the hell out of a Wendigo after it had beaten Wolverine and Nightcrawler with ease. Plus, her Snowy Owl form has a wingspan of about twenty feet). There's a two-point reduction for her Quirks- Always White (kinda ruinst the "Morph" aspect) and Limited to Canadian Animals (it's still varied enough to allow for Mosquitos, Sasquatches, Whales, Fish & Birds, but it's KIND of a limitation). She's also got a handful of Immunities, Uncontrolled Healing powers and the like for being an Arctic-based demi-goddess, all of which adds up to a pretty cool all-around character.

Sample Forms (Animals includes the Owl, Wolf, Fox, Walrus, Brown & Polar Bear, Wolverine, Seal, Sperm & Right Whale, etc. She's also turned into a swarm of Mosquitos, a Wendigo, and a female version of Sasquatch):

GREAT SNOWY OWL
PL 10 (184)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Startle, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Arctic Demigoddess Powers" plus:

"Animal Boosts" (26 points' worth)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, & Ultra-Vision) [3]
"Owl Ear Tufts" Senses 2 (Accurate Hearing) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Penetrating 5) [8]

Flight 1 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [1]

Protection 1 [1]
Enhanced Skills 12: Intimidation 4 (+10), Perception 2 (+12), Stealth 6 (+10) [6]
"Arctic Whiteness" Stealth 4 (+14) -- (Flaws: Limited to White Areas) [1]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 [4]

Offense:
Natural Weapons +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: xx / Defenses: 18 (184)

GREAT WHITE BEAR
PL 10 (184)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Startle, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:

"Animal Boosts" (24 points' worth)

"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Enhanced Skills 8: Intimidation 6 (+13), Stealth 2 (+9) [4]
"Arctic Whiteness" Stealth 4 (+13) -- (Flaws: Limited to White Areas) [1]

Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]
Reduced Fighting -1 [-2]
Enhanced Parry & Dodge 2 [4]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Natural Weapons +9 (+11 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: xx / Defenses: 18 (184)

WHITE SASQUATCH
PL 10 (184)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Teamwork

Powers:

"Sasquatch Boosts" (62 points' worth)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Extended Hearing) [3]
Enhanced Advantages 4: Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Power Attack [4]

Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 4 (+11) [2]
"Arctic Whiteness" Stealth 4 (+7) -- (Flaws: Limited to White Areas) [1]
"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 11) [14]
Leaping 7 (1,000 feet) [7]
Loses Flight [-10]
Power-Lifting 1 (800 tons) [1]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Thunderclap" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20) -- [23]
    AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
    AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
    AE: Penetrating Strength Damage 10 (10)
Offense:
Natural Weapons +9 (+11 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Goblyn, Manikin, Flashback, Nemesis, Snowbird

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Snowbird rocks as much as Flashback sucks, and that's just the truth of it.

And Nemesis...well, since I never read beyond the original Byrne run of Alpha Flight....the last I knew, her sword was a monomolecular blade...so you shouldn't kiss it. *shrugs* Kind of a cool design, but, beyond that, I got nothin'.

Invictus
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Invictus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 am

I stated earlier that when I used to say I like Alpha Flight, half of that was really saying "I like Snowbird". Let me add that I'm generally not a fan of shapeshifters. But that build you've just done is pretty cool, and as the caption for the pic states, a great and under appreciated character design, simple but still distinctive.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Snowbird had such an array of abilities that I'd be tempted to just throw them into an actual array.

She claimed to have mind control abilities, when she forced Northstar to accompany the team to face the Great Beasts (although it was suggested that she could only compel people to aid her in her war against the Great Beasts and not just willy-nilly force people to do anything).

She had enough super-strength that she could fly through the brick wall of a prison cell without slowing down.

She was shown regenerating cuts from hurled ice shards in the 'whiteout' issue, IIRC.

She could commune with her divine relatives, although they never seemed to offer anything other than moral support or advice (or criticism)...

And yet, in her various animal forms, she seemed to lose at least some of her normal powers (she never flew around in bear form, for instance), which fits with the idea of her having an array of some sort.

As for the others, I'd like Flashback much more if his powers didn't have that complication. Madrox, as much as I like him, has that annoying kinetic-impact thing going on, and I'd rather have a duplicator who doesn't have that sort of wonkiness built into what is already a funky power. (On the other hand, there's still Timeshadow, of the Alliance of Evil!)

If Laura Dean could summon multiple Goblyns, that could rock. Wow, with Manikin and Laura Dean, we've got *two* Summoning based characters, of a sort, and a Duplicator (with Flashback). Such incredibly rare power-sets, and they seem to be crawling out of the woodwork in Beta/Gamma/Omega Flight!

I never got Nemesis. Some of Byrne's inventions just fail to grab me, and Nemesis is right up there with Pink Pearl. :)

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:29 pm

I contest that Alpha Flight's whole cult fandom came about because of the character designs. They look important despite being a superteam from Canada. I mean, really? Do you need a whole superteam to stop Snidely Whiplash?

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:13 pm

BARON wrote:I contest that Alpha Flight's whole cult fandom came about because of the character designs. They look important despite being a superteam from Canada. I mean, really? Do you need a whole superteam to stop Snidely Whiplash?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I kind of fell in love with Snowbird during her stint as a guest star in The Incredible Hercules. Of course the speech she gave during Hercules's Funeral was a highlight as well.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Setothes wrote:Snowbird had such an array of abilities that I'd be tempted to just throw them into an actual array.

She claimed to have mind control abilities, when she forced Northstar to accompany the team to face the Great Beasts (although it was suggested that she could only compel people to aid her in her war against the Great Beasts and not just willy-nilly force people to do anything).

Yeah, I was all ready to post a build with "Mind Control- Limited" but then figured it was a one-time thing, and practically the living definition of "Rare Power Stunt", which DCA/3e specifically say to leave out.

She had enough super-strength that she could fly through the brick wall of a prison cell without slowing down.She was shown regenerating cuts from hurled ice shards in the 'whiteout' issue, IIRC.

Strength 6 plus Power Attack should do it. I had no idea she was always strong until I built her, actually. Same with Regeneration, which I threw on with some heavy weaknesses (since it, too, is a rare thing). Snowbird is actually pretty bad for "Rarely-seen Power Stunts", even to the extent of THOR. Must be the divine genes...

and yet, in her various animal forms, she seemed to lose at least some of her normal powers (she never flew around in bear form, for instance), which fits with the idea of her having an array of some sort.

Yeah, I knocked-off points for those forms' lacking in Flight- Shapeshift actually says outright that you can do that to "save" points.

If Laura Dean could summon multiple Goblyns, that could rock. Wow, with Manikin and Laura Dean, we've got *two* Summoning based characters, of a sort, and a Duplicator (with Flashback). Such incredibly rare power-sets, and they seem to be crawling out of the woodwork in Beta/Gamma/Omega Flight!

Yeah, I make mention of this during some of these builds. It was like Byrne and Mantlo both realized that by creating a superteam of oddball characters who also had TWO Trainee Squads, it allowed them to just make wild & whacky power-sets that you wouldn't otherwise see. I mean, you wouldn't have an X-Man using a wonky Summon Three Minions power, or a guy who summons temporal copies, or a girl who summons an animalistic being and switches places. It allows for some creativity (especially in an era right before most characters became generic Blasters & Powerhouses), but also some mushroom-addled weirdness. Comics didn't really show that kind of power-creativity again until the 2000s, when guys started doing REALLY weird stuff (like "Talking to Cities" being power).

Return to “Roll Call”