Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Black Knight, The Vision, Jack of Hearts,

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 pm

ImageImage

D'AAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

CRYSTAL (Crystal Amaquelin, nee' Maximoff)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #45 (Dec. 1965)
Role: The One Who Humps the New Guy Who Shows Up, The Chick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Inhumans Royal Family, The Fantastic Four
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 9 (153)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Deception 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment (Suit- Protection +2), Ranged Attack 9, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Terrigen Mist-Given Powers: Control Over the Four Elements"
Immunity 10 (Weather Effects) [10]
Flight 5 (50 mph) [10]

"Earth/Ice Constricting Snare" Snare 8 (Feats: Variable Descriptor) Linked to Damage 5 (Extras: Ranged) (35) -- [50]
    AE: "Dust Storm" Obscure Visuals 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud) (6)
    AE: "Earthquake" Affliction 9 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (33)
    AE: Burrowing 7 (60 mph) (7)
    AE: "Earth Attack" Blast 9 (18)
    AE: "Earth Control" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (16)
    AE: Transform 5 (Stone, Water, Metal to Other Shapes) (20)
    AE: "Tornado" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
    AE: Environment 3 (120 feet) (Extreme Heat 2, Impede Movement 2, Visibility) (15)
    AE: "Tornado Winds" Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Pushing or Pulling) (8)
    AE: Suffocate 8 (24)
    AE: "Water Control" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (16)
    AE: "Magnetic Control" Move Object 5 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Metals) (5)
    AE: "Ignite" Blast 6 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Perception Range) (19)
    AE: "Fire Attack" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (24)
    AE: "Fire Control" Move Object 5 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Fire) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Snare +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction & +5 Ranged Damage, DC 18/20)
Earthquake +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Earth Attack +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Tornado +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Suffocate +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Ignite +6 Perception (+6 Perception Damage, DC 21)
Fire Blast +8 Area (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Attilan, The Royal Family)
Reputation (Easy)
Relationship- First Johnny Storm, then Quicksilver, then some random dude, then Ronan the Accuser... there's a lot of this.
Weakness (Pollutants & Toxins)- Without a special serum, Crystal will soon become sick, disabled and dying.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 70 / Defenses: 18 (153)

-Crystal's always had a weird place in comics. See, when The Inhumans debuted, they were a mysterious race of outcasts who could NEVER interact with our world, meaning that there was a tragedy to her & Johnny Storm's romance. Not that it really WAS romantic- Stan Lee's idea of them falling in love was more like "Hey! That person is attractive! OMG I'm in LUUUUVVVV I CAN'T BE WITH THEM THO SO WAH!", which is pretty much 100% accurate to how teenagers act- but everyone else acted all sad about it, so we were apparently supposed to take it seriously. Now, this whole "Star Crossed Lovers" thing is a great old trope for a reason (I certainly do love it for Atom Smasher & Stargirl, f'rinstance), so they played off that for a few years. But then The Inhumans permanently got into society. For a bit. Which meant Crystal & Johnny COULD be together... but the whole appeal of their relationship was that they COULDN'T be together, so they really had nothing to do.

-Fast-forward a few years, and she's dumped Johnny for Quicksilver of all people (who had nothing better to do). They have a child (Luna, a normal human daughter of an Inhuman and a Mutant), do some stuff, and she shows up in The Avengers after years of being an FF-alternate. This was the HORRIBLE "Leather Jacket Phase", though, so was kind of a "Dork Age" for comic books in general, and The Avengers specifically. She ended up cheating on Pietro with a normal human. Yeah, just some guy, not even a hero or anything.

-Another bunch of years later, and she was forcibly married to Ronan the Accuser to provide a union between the Kree & The Inhumans who came to rule them, but then it turns out they really did love each other after all, turning Ronan into a big ol' softie. AAAAWWWW... (note that this is a guy who once openly mocked The Vision & Scarlet Witch upon figuring out they were in love, just because it was so unlikely and funny). So Crystal's had a bizarre history (filled with more men than most comic book women's, that's for sure), and who knows where she'll end up? Reign of Kings has given her more to do than at just about any other time in her history (she's gotten twice the characterization of any other Inhuman in that span), so the future just may be bright.

-Crystal stats up funny, having a ridiculous FIFTEEN Alt-Effects based around an Elementalist (all elements) set-up. She's fairly powerful, but not really PL 10 worthy (most of the other Inhumans are far better ass-kickers), and is a PL 9 character that is slightly above her standard PC-level points-cost because she's so insanely VERSATILE. She's a pretty good team player, and has so many options in combat that just about anybody is going to be weak to at least one of her attacks. All those Area Bursts and Control powers are bound to be effective. She's a bit of a Glass Cannon, though- PL 7.5 on Defense is not going to let you take a punch.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:38 am, edited 6 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Black Knight, The Vision, Jack of Hearts, Thor

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Tyrant Lizard King wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:Personally I liked the lesser amounts because it gave the stories a bit more realism, and made the super-strong guys grounded. Plus, if Ben Grimm can lift 1,000 tons, then how would ANYONE outside of that class stand a chance against him in a fight? He could snap his fingers and demolish a building in real life with that kind of strength.

I like super-strong guys, I'm a big fan of Goku, the Silver Surfer, Thor, etc. This is why I would prefer more consistency in comics.

But funny you mention it... Ben Grimm dropped a building on the Surfer one time. Fortunately for him, Norrin is a kind soul even when angered and so didn't just vaporize him, but yeah, Ben has demolished buildings relatively easily. I think the answer is that heroes like him (and Surf) hold back a lot.

I don't know. It's tough to get consistency with this sort of thing, which irritates me and anyone trying to actually detail the capabilities of such heroes.

hee. The '60s of Marvel were fun. Way better than the lame hackneyed crap DC was churning out at the time. I don't think that chunk of building weighed more than 100 tons, though, and knocking over a building in a few shots wouldn't require more than Class 100 either- decayed brick crumbles real easy under guys that strong.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Jack of Hearts, Thor, Thunderstrike, Crystal

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 pm

And because I know Jab is so fond of aged youths, did you see? Marvel has launched a new Thunderstrike comic, where Eric Masterson's son gets the Mace from Steve Rogers, and now turns into the adult Thunderstrike. Yes, if Thor is Marvel's Superman, Thunderstrike is now Captain Marvel.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Tyrant Lizard King » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Good points. Things have changed a bit since then, though, and even then, things like Thor lifting the Midgard Serpent were well out of Class 100 range. Maybe the Thing wasn't, maybe he still isn't -- I confess Marvel lost me some time ago, and I never cared for DC, so I don't really read anything currently but pick up the occasional mag featuring the Surfer or something.

Last one I read was Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter, which wasn't bad. Wasn't that great, I thought, but I'm happy getting to see the Surfer just about anytime.

Anyway, what matters is that your Eric Masterson Thor builds are awesome, and I like Crystal, too. Good picture. Don't really care for what has happened to her, story-wise, but hey, Marvel has mostly lost its magic for me. The build itself that you have done is great.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 pm

All good stuff as awlays.

slight note on Crystal. Shes missing flying which given the pic and that shes a windrider like storm.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Haha, no way- Masterson's KID has an age-up upgrade? Excellent. By which I mean "silly and a lame plot device", but hey, at least they're using some aspect of poor "didn't make it out of the '90s" Eric.

And yeah, I guess Crystal can fly. During most things I've seen of her, she tended to hitch a ride on rocks or use the winds she generated, so I'm not sure if it's inside the Array or out of it (did she ever use two powers simultaneously?), but I left it out for now. Thanks.

Invictus
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Jab's Builds: Black Knight, The Vision, Jack of Hearts, Thor

Postby Invictus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, like I said, Thor can be rough to place. You're talking about a guy who used to have to try REALLY hard to beat The Wrecker, and was given fits by a combo of Mr. Hyde and The Cobra (neither of whom could have possibly been over PL 10) in the '60s, was one-punch-stunned by Mantis, was KO'd by a Sniper Bullet (the aforementioned Priest-written incident), nearly killed by Blockbuster of the Marauders when Hela cast a bone-breaking spell on him, etc. But then he goes and lifts the MIDGARD SERPENT (significantly above his old Marvel Handbook limits of "85 tons" by a ways, no?), eats a tactical nuke and gets up, is shown blowing up Secondary Adamantium when he goes all-out, kicks Gladiator's ass, brawls with Superman, injures the Silver Surfer, and more.

My favorite example of this sort of thing was back around issue 210, 211ish, something like that. Thor is travelling around randomly and ends up in some sort of unspecified Asian Communist territory where he stops to do some thinking that supplies the reader with convenient expository thought balloons. He's interrupted when some guys with bazookas figure he's an invader of some sort, and blast him with everything they've got. Caught off guard, the onslaught picks him up off of his feet and slams him into a hillside with such force that it causes a landside of boulders to come directly down and bury him. He casually stands up, the Commies run off. Within two issues, the same creative team has someone knock him out by dropping a rock on his head.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Yeah, the kid is an angry teen now. Mad because his dad died and is like the only Avenger to stay dead. So he gets the mace, and when stumbles upon a prisoner transport or something being destroyed by the Rhino, he turns into Thunderstrike (looks just like his dad, beard and all). He gets whipped but only because he's inexperienced...so he's rookie Thor. After looking at the comic, I made the only reasonable decision...I bought Batwoman #0.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 pm

See? This character sucks so bad he's also a NAZI!

GILGAMESH, THE FORGOTTEN ONE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Eternals #13 (July 1977)
Role: Forgotten Avenger, Powerhouse, The Scrappy
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Eternals
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 12 (216)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Eternal) 6 (+6)
Expertise (History) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Hunter/Tracker) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Bow) 6 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Tracking (Sight)

Powers:
"Eternal Physiology- Far Beyond the Norm"
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrowth) [7]
Immunity 16 (Aging, Life Support, Fatigue Effects) [16]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

"Matter Manipulation" Transform Anything to Anything 7 (100 lbs.) (Quirks: Cannot Use as Attack -2) (33) -- [34]
    AE: "Eye & Hand Cosmic Blasts" Blast 10 (20)
"Trained to Fight in Blindness" (Ranged Tough, Accurate) [3]

"Super-Strength Feat" (AE of Strength-Damage)
Groundstrike 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (15) -- [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+15 Damage, DC 23)
Cosmic Blasts +4 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Eternals)
Responsibility (Loves Humanity)

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 12 (216)

-If you took a poll to see who was the worst Avenger ever, people will either vote for Hank Pym, as the current 'sucky hero' meme going around the internet, Deathcry, the losery uber-Iron Age death-dealing Shi'Ar, or Gilgamesh, The Forgotten One. His whole schtick is that he was an Eternal, one of Marvel's resident "Kirby created us because he wanted to do a story about mythology, but Marvel cancelled it because nobody bought the damn books (people knock Stan Lee for his non-Jack/Steve/John-assisted works, but Kirby's New Gods failed to sell when they debuted, and the Eternals failed even worse), and then co-opted them into the main continuity" characters, a representation of the Babylonian God-hero. Even though he was kind of redundant with Thor around, the writer at the time likely thought he could maybe make a decent hero out of the super-strong God character, but alas, it was not to be.

-It could've had to do with the stupid character design, which was basically a guy in a loincloth, or dressed as an animal. Or the silly name (Gilgamesh is much lamer a name than nearly every other Ancient Near Eastern name- even their CITIES had badass titles). Or the fact that he was basically a Thor without the interesting powers. But no matter why he sucked, he was off the team pretty quickly, and in the end he was casually offed in The Crossing, years later. And so it stands that this uber-powerful Eternal super-hero ended up becoming known as one of the lamest Avengers of all time. He's alive again, returning with most of the other Eternals, but I haven't heard any news about him yet.

-Despite his suckiness as a character, Gilgamesh is a BEAST. The nigh-innumerable powers of The Eternals is enough to make him cost a bazillion points in the first place; the fact that he's ALSO as strong as Hercules & Thor just adds to the cost. And yes, I figure they should only be getting around +15 as a Damage Bonus for raw strength- far more than The Thing or somebody on that level. I really, REALLY wanted him to be a PL 11, but he's as strong as Thor, AND considered to be the greatest fighter of all the Eternals, so there's just no way to justify that in my mind. But he's pretty sucky and ineffectual for his power level- he died to some loser, and he couldn't beat Thor in a fight, so I threw him in at PL 11.5 on offense, PL 11 on defense. Despite being a "great combatant among the Eternals", I figured he'd get +8 Attack Bonus and like it, since that's still PRETTY good, and I'm kind of tired of Powerhouses & Bricks who are ALSO world-class martial artists somehow. Instead, he just gets a bunch of combat feats to modify his caps if he wants to.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Look! It's an Asian hooker dressed as a Hawaiian insect-hooker! And she's beaten up Thor, Wonder Man & Captain America!

MANTIS (something Brandt)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #112 (June 1973)
Role: The Scrappy (to some fans and many writers), The Wesley/Pet Character (to Englehart), Martial Artist, The Enigma
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers Grade: D-Level (C & B-Level during Englehart's run)
PL 11 (162)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+16)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Temple Girl) 3 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+10)
Technology 3 (+6)
Treatment 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Takedown, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Priests of Pama Training"
"Weakness-Assisted Stun" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (Inaccurate -3) (21) -- [22]
    AE: "Weakness-Strike" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Inaccuarate -2) (8)
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Pain Effects 2) [3]
"Empathy" Mind Reading 4 (Extras: Move Action +2) (Flaws: Limited to Emotions) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Weakness-Strike +12 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Weakness-Stun +10 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +16 (DC 26), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +6, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Celestial Madonna)- Sort of a Chosen One/Messiah-Bringer kind of thing.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 22 (170)

-Mantis is Steve Englehart's Pet Character, a character designed around Eastern mysticism, with a wierd origin as the "Celestial Madonna", devoted to giving birth to the new messiah or somesuch thing. He loves the character so much, he's brought her with him to DC & Eclipse comics (under different names) once he left Marvel, AND brought her back on his return to Marvel (in addition to shoehorning her in to the FF and Silver Surfer when he wrote them). The man was OBSESSED- he whines about Marvel rejecting his ideas and being lame, but honestly, have you EVER met a huge Mantis fan? I'm not denying the man had talent (I've enjoyed a few of his works, and his runs are usually well-regarded, and he DID do storylines that were the inspirations for the first Batman movie & "The Dark Knight"), but when a guy uses the word "Epic" over and over again to describe his stuff, you gotta think.

-As a character, she's kind of a loser concept, as nobody really cares much for barefoot chicks speaking in the third person (calling herself "This one") who can knock out Thor in hand to hand (no, really). It's just... SO OBVIOUS that Englehart loved this character and only wanted to write stories featuring her doing awesome stuff and being the chosen one and all that, and even the other Marvel writers hated her at the time she was an Avenger. She's so much like Claremont's Sage character that it's not even funny. Currently she's much more entertaining as a weird background character in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" book, and seems to be MUCH less powerful, as she's usually stuck on the base instead of doing Goonsweeping.

-Mantis is an amazing martial artist, packing PL 11 altogether, and packing a huge punch when she needs do. Really, though, if Steve Englehart's writing, she's basically a PL 13-14, because she's his own personal Mary Sue. It's kind of a quasi-Iron Fist thing she's got going on, allowing her to KO people way above her normal class level (let's just assume Thor REALLY failed his Fortitude Check on that one, while she Crit-Hitted, huh?) some of the time. I've read an Englehart appearance where she whup on FOUR Avengers at once, and actually manages to easily avoid ALL of Hawkeye's arrows, while Stunning Wonder Man like three times, and get nothing in return. She criticals on a 17-20 as well, making her pretty scary in melee combat. Once she leaves the Avengers and merges with the Cotati/Swordsman/Whatever, she gains further powers, involving Astral Projection, Space Travel, Immunity (Life Support), Plant Control, etc.

MANTIS (something Brandt)- When not written by Steve Englehart
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #112 (June 1973)
Role: The Scrappy (to some fans and many writers), The Wesley (to Englehart), Martial Artist, The Enigma
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers Grade: D-Level (C & B-Level during Englehart's run)
PL 9 (192)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Temple Girl) 3 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+10)
Technology 3 (+6)
Treatment 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Takedown, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Priests of Pama Training"
"Weakness-Assisted Stun" Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (Inaccurate -3) (19) -- [20]
    AE: "Weakness-Strike" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Inaccuarate -2) (8)
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Pain Effects 2) [3]
"Cotati-Empowered Nature"
"Telepathy" Mind Reading 10 (20) Linked to Communication 2 (Extras: Area) (30) -- [33]
    AE: "Astral Form" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel) (2)
    AE: "Plant Control" Move Object 6 (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (6)
    AE: Immunity 10 (Extras: Sustained +0) (10)
Comprehend (Plants) [4]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Weakness-Strike +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Weakness-Stun +7 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +6, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Celestial Madonna)- Sort of a Chosen One/Messiah-Bringer kind of thing.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 18 (192)

-Mantis circa-Guardians of the Galaxy has a TON more powers, and a ridiculous amount of options for Alt-Effects if she spends an HP. She is moderately less skilled and lower in PL than her earlier form, being a base-living mentalist who doesn't even see much combat, but is otherwise way more versatile. Honestly, I don't think they ever explained why she was no longer Hell on Wheels in a fight, but I suggest that Englehart not writing with his dink in his hands for once may have something to do with it (ie. there's different people writing her now).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 pm

The best way to explain someone being a dick, ever. Oh, and if YOU had to go your whole career being "That hero who's fast, but not as fast as DC's fast-guys, you'd be a PMS-laden whiney douche, too.

QUICKSILVER (Pietro Maximoff)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The X-Men #4 (March 1964)
Role: The Speedster, The Jerkass
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, The Avengers, X-Factor, The Avengers Academy
Avengers Grade: C-Level
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10/14 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Current Events) 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Super-Speed"
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]
Enhanced Advantages 18: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 2, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 4, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge [18]
Enhanced Dodge 7 [7]
Enhanced Parry 1 [1]
"Mach 5-ish" Speed 11 (4,000 mph) [11]
Quickness 7 [7]

"Super-Speed Feats"
"Wall & Water Run" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Limited to While Running) [2]
Immunity 1 (Friction Heat) [1]
"Cyclone Suffocation" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16) -- [20]
    AE: "Jetstream" Move Object 6 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (12)
    AE: "Rapid-Punches" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (8)
    AE: "Nail Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 5, Selective 5) (13)
    AE: "Catch Projectiles" Deflect 12 (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Super-Speed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Rapid-Punches +14 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Suffocation +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Whirlwind Attack +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +20

Defenses:
Dodge +8/+15 (DC 18-25), Parry +10/+15 (DC 20-25), Toughness +3 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Enormous Tool)- Pietro is a very unpleasant person to be around, even when he's a super-hero. He also does some very evil things.
Relationship (The Scarlet Witch)- Pietro is extremely overprotective of his sister, and doesn't like her hanging around with guys he doesn't approve of.
Responsibility (Trapped in a Slow World)- Quicksilver is frequently annoyed by how slow everyone else around him moves.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 12 (160)

-Pietro's a weird thing in comics, representing Marvel's only full-fledged attempt at a super-speedster, yet he's at something like 1/200th of The Flash's capabilities, and has always been a second-stringer hero, the only one of the "New Avengers" line-up that DIDN'T go on to be a classic (Vision, Wanda & Hawkeye all made the grade from the late '60s era to become beloved long-running characters). Even his "I'm the son of Magneto" push never really amounts to much, leading to a few solo runs here and there (mostly lame or forgotten, like his post M-Day stuff), but ultimately, he's always too much of a dick to be likeable, and gets shunted to a team story here or there instead. Some of his best stuff was on Peter David's "X-Factor", but as that was the butt-monkey and low-seller of the X-line, even THAT didn't really do much for him.

-Power-wise, he's pretty easy to stat, and his power levels are pretty explicitly given in the comics (Supersonic speed, but much less than the near-Light Speed Force users of DC), so he's easy there. I gave him a handful of the Alt-Effects there too, including a Cyclone Suffocation, Multiattack punches, a pushing stream, a Whirlwind Attack that hits everyone, and the ability to Deflect projectile attacks. He's not entirely efficient for his PL (Defensive Roll is much worse than Protection, and he makes PL 9.5 on offense), but he's still not someone to screw around with in combat. He's just as hard to hit as fricking SPIDER-MAN, who is one of the defining "hard to hit" guys in all of comics, and he gains a metric ton of Combat Advantages as a result of his Super-Speed, nearly all defensive.

-For some reason, DCA's Flash has crappy hand-to-hand accuracy. Well, not CRAPPY, but only +10, and this is a guy who's so fast, he can hit you before you even see him. So I gave Quicksilver some really good hand-to-hand accuracy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Jab's Builds: Thors, Crystal, Gilgamesh, Mantis, Quicksilver

Postby Woodclaw » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 am

Ok it seem to me that you went into the lower part of the Avengers rooster (Doctor Druid and Deathcry will probably appear shortly), but the builds are still good.

Mantis is a character I never considered much, super martial artist aren't a bad concept, but for some reason she simply didn't work (I guess that her peculiar speech and being a wesley type character were part of the problem).

About Quicksilver there is one more thing that separate him from other speedsters, he's one of the few not strictly melee. Usually speedsters tend to either god in close combat or use area effects, Pietro was one of the few that tried to use ranged weapons sometimes - something lots of authors forget - to the point of having Hawkeye training him with a bow.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

chatty
Zealot
Zealot

Postby chatty » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:49 am

Dear Jabroniville,

You are the wind beneath my wings.While I certainly plan to spend hours painstakingly creating my own heroes and villains as NPCs, the bulk of my NPC villains are coming from this thread. You have saved me HOURS of labor, leaving me more time to agonize about whether my plot is lame.

Thank you!
chatty
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Didn't know Pietro also operated at range. I'll boost up some Ranged Attack ("Just as good as Dexterity, for half the price!"), making him a PL 10 (160).

And dang, I've recieved some cool compliments before, but I've never been called the wind beneath someone's wings before. Blushing, I am.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Don't you mean, "blushing this one is"? :twisted:

Return to “Roll Call”