Shadow War (OOC thread)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Shadow War (OOC; RECRUITING one replacement)

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Aboleth11 wrote:
baixiwei wrote:I'm sorry I haven't been posting here. For some reason I wasn't receiving notices of new posts, so I didn't realize there had been activity.

Aboleth11 wrote:Does anyone have any constructive criticism on my build?

Since you asked: the magic array looks a little bland to me. I don't have the sense, looking at the base and alternate powers, that those are the kind of powers I'd expect someone to possess by virtue of having demon blood. Not that they're INappropriate, either - they just don't seem particularly motivated. Other than that, looks good.

I'm not sure what you mean by bland. He only knows a few spell that he picked up when he was on the run. The mage dart is for enemies he can't reach, the hypnosis is to buy him time to run away from things that he can't fight and the TK is just handy. I would increase my magic if I got into the game. I could have someone teach me spells.

I think what he is saying is that the powers are somewhat generic. Think of a mage in D&D: chances are they would have Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrow, Fireball, and Lightning Bolt. If those were the bulk of the spells that the character possessed, then the character would have generic or bland spell choices.

To return to the example of the demon character, there are some powers that would be a bit more exotic and simultaneously seem to be linked directly to the demonic nature of the character:

Transform - Goethe's Mephistopheles in Faust turned water into wine as a subversion of Biblical miracles.

Pheromones - The character could have some succubus or incubus blood in their heritage. This power pairs well with Drain and Pain.

Disease - Demons are blamed with the spread all sorts of ailments.

Matter Eater - A demon in his bloodline was a spirit of gluttony.

Mutation - A demon in his bloodline was a fleshcrafter of the Lord of Disfigurement and Disgust. Nausea pairs well with this power.

Those are just a few examples, but they are less generic and tie directly into the demonic heritage of the character than Blast and Telekinesis. Does that make more sense?

Aboleth11
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aboleth11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 am

baixiwei wrote:
Aboleth11 wrote:
baixiwei wrote:Well, by bland, I mean that they don't particularly seem to follow from the concept - they seem like generic powers that anyone in a magic-based campaign (or even a non-magic-based one) might have. I can see how each of them is useful in a games-mechanics way, but not particularly why your character would have them given his background.

If the comment is useful to you, great; if not, ignore it.

He just has a few handy spells that he picked up to help him fight off the demons.

You seem to be arguing with me about whether my comment is justified or not. Am I misunderstanding your intention? I don't really see the point in having a back-and-forth about this. If you find the comment helpful, use it, if not, ignore it. I am not really open to a discussion about it, since it is from the beginning my subjective opinion, or taste, if you will. As such, however, it stands.

You're right. We're not getting anywhere arguing about this.

Aboleth11
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aboleth11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:25 am

RedBstrd wrote:
Aboleth11 wrote:
baixiwei wrote:I'm sorry I haven't been posting here. For some reason I wasn't receiving notices of new posts, so I didn't realize there had been activity.

Since you asked: the magic array looks a little bland to me. I don't have the sense, looking at the base and alternate powers, that those are the kind of powers I'd expect someone to possess by virtue of having demon blood. Not that they're INappropriate, either - they just don't seem particularly motivated. Other than that, looks good.

I'm not sure what you mean by bland. He only knows a few spell that he picked up when he was on the run. The mage dart is for enemies he can't reach, the hypnosis is to buy him time to run away from things that he can't fight and the TK is just handy. I would increase my magic if I got into the game. I could have someone teach me spells.

I think what he is saying is that the powers are somewhat generic. Think of a mage in D&D: chances are they would have Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrow, Fireball, and Lightning Bolt. If those were the bulk of the spells that the character possessed, then the character would have generic or bland spell choices.

To return to the example of the demon character, there are some powers that would be a bit more exotic and simultaneously seem to be linked directly to the demonic nature of the character:

Transform - Goethe's Mephistopheles in Faust turned water into wine as a subversion of Biblical miracles.

Pheromones - The character could have some succubus or incubus blood in their heritage. This power pairs well with Drain and Pain.

Disease - Demons are blamed with the spread all sorts of ailments.

Matter Eater - A demon in his bloodline was a spirit of gluttony.

Mutation - A demon in his bloodline was a fleshcrafter of the Lord of Disfigurement and Disgust. Nausea pairs well with this power.

Those are just a few examples, but they are less generic and tie directly into the demonic heritage of the character than Blast and Telekinesis. Does that make more sense?

I would totally agree with you, but it's just supposed to be regular magic, not demon magic.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 am

Hi
I read on the game master list that you're looking for a replacement player. If that's still true I'd like to express my interest.
My idea at the moment is a Redcap Changeling in essence, so I'll check back tonight (GMT) & if there's no objection to the concept I can have a sheet up tomorrow.

Cheers
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:15 am

Sure, let's see it.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:51 am

Bill wrote:Image
On Redcaps
A Red Cap or Redcap, also known as a powrie or dunter, is a type of malevolent murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore. They are said to inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland. Redcaps are said to murder travellers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name). It is believed that Redcaps must kill regularly, for if the blood staining their hats dries out, they die. In fact Redcap culture is just very violent & clannish the caps they wear to terrify opponents & victims have been mythologised to mean more than they do.
Redcaps are very fast in spite of the heavy iron pikes they wield and the iron-shod boots they wear. Outrunning a redcap is supposedly impossible.
They are depicted as sturdy old men with red eyes, taloned hands and large teeth, wearing a red cap and bearing a pikestaff in the left hand.
The tale of one in Perthshire has him as more benign; living in a room in Grantully Castle, he bestows good fortune on those who see or hear him.

Bill Sakowski

Power Level: 8 (120pp)

Abilities: STR 14 (+2), DEX 12 (+1), CON 16 (+3), INT 16 (+3), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 14 (+2)

Skills: Gather information 11 (+13), Intimidate 11 (+13), Profession (Police officer) 6 (+9), Stealth 11 (+12), Investigate 10 (+13), Notice 9 (+12), Sense motive 9 (+12)

Feats: Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Benefit (Detective Sergeant) 1, Contacts, Defensive Roll 3, Distract- intimidate, Equipment, Fearsome presence 2, Hide in plain sight, Well informed, Windrunner

Powers:
Super senses 5 (Magic Awareness, Precognition [uncontrolled] 5pp)
Strike 4 (mighty, incurable. 6pp)
Concealment 4 (All visual, limited- [To machines] 4pp)

Combat: Attack +6 // +10 (Melee); Damage +2 (Unarmed) // +6 (Strike); Defense +10 (+5 flat-footed); Initiative +1

Saves: Toughness +6 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +6, Reflex +5, Will +6

Drawbacks:
Vulnerability- [Holy ground]

Complications: Responsibility (Police work), Prejudice (Within the magical community), Reputation (Lazy cop), Enemy (William Barnes returned from the fae realm)

:arrow: He was born William Barnes to an African American father & Polish Jewish mother at a time when the country was loathe to accept either group. Perhaps it was something about the taboo of that relationship that attracted the fey creatures that stole away with young Will & left in his place the creature that's lived his life ever since.
Bill took his mother's name at 13 when his father disappeared & they both believed he had abandoned them. He resolved to join the police less at first from a desire to protect people but more for respect & the hope that respect would then be afforded to his mom by association.
Bill was 30 when he first discovered his true nature & since then his life has become far more complicated.
Starting when his wife moved to another state with his children.

Just a rough first draft, my day's been more hectic than I expected. Thought I'd throw it up here while I was away see if there were any problems or just things you'd prefer changed before I get back & try to polish it.

EDIT- Managed to sneak home to check my books so people wouldn't have to wait for me.
Dropped the penetrating on the strike & added the mighty I'd managed to forget the first time.

Lowered the non-toughness saves & used the points to improve my skills & add some feats to make him pretty superb at investigation & chasing leads, bumped up his Benefit to give him more clout in the precinct which will hopefully be useful too.
Hope this is more in line with what you were after baixiwei.

EDIT 2- Discussed feats dropped & profession lowered by 2 used to buy 9 in notice & sense motive.
Last edited by BlindPugh on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Just a heads-up: we've pretty much arrived at the part where it's up to you guys what to do next, i.e. I haven't planned any more explicit guidance along the lines of a fortuneteller telling you where to be at what time. However, I've had the impression that players sometimes feel a little lost in my games and would like to get more explicit guidance, as in being told what to do next or at least given several options. If that's the case here, please let me know! Otherwise, I'll be leaving it completely open.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 pm

BlindPugh wrote:
Bill Sakowski

Talk about a dark horse in the running. I'm not sure if we're supposed to weigh in on the submissions, but this character is my favorite replacement so far. The build looks balanced and appropriate. The picture is great for the character. The background has depth and it's clear that you've thought about how the character will act and what motivates him.

Great work.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 pm

on behalf of the other submissions. Gee thanks for that. :P Wow, great to know all our hard work was appreciated.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:45 pm

poodle wrote:on behalf of the other submissions. Gee thanks for that. :P Wow, great to know all our hard work was appreciated.

I'm not the GM, so I'm just a bystander commenting on which impressed me most. I have no way of knowing how hard people have worked on theirs, so sorry if you think I was under-appreciating that part of the process. :cry: Baixiwei will be the one making the decision and he probably has his own criteria.

Besides, I've weighed in on how I think a build could be strengthened when people have asked. If you're afraid that my opinion may sway the GM, then you could look at the list of things that found impressive and see if your submission has those qualities, ask me for my impression of your build, or ask Baixiwei if he's looking for the same things that I thought were important.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:48 am

RedBstrd wrote:
BlindPugh wrote:
Bill Sakowski

Talk about a dark horse in the running. I'm not sure if we're supposed to weigh in on the submissions, but this character is my favorite replacement so far. The build looks balanced and appropriate. The picture is great for the character. The background has depth and it's clear that you've thought about how the character will act and what motivates him.

Great work.

If you have advice on changes or improvements you think would fit the game better I'd be interested to hear them.

Aboleth11
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aboleth11 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:02 am

BlindPugh wrote:
RedBstrd wrote:
BlindPugh wrote:
Bill Sakowski

Great work.

If you have advice on changes or improvements you think would fit the game better I'd be interested to hear them.

I think it fits the game very well. However, there are a couple things in the build that don't match up with the paragraph on redcaps.

1: It says that if the blood on a redcap's hat dries out, he dies. But there is nothing in the build about that.
1b: If you couldn't let the blood on your cap dry without dying, wouldn't you have noticed it before you were 30?

2: I'm guessing your strike is your claws, but you might want to clarify that.

3: I'm guessing that the windrunner feat represents the thing about nobody outrunning redcaps, but I don't have whatever book that's from.

Everything else looks good.

On a totally unrelated note, when is recruitment ending? I thought that it was supposed to end thursday evening.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 am

Sorry, I should have said something.

I am not accepting new submissions. Since the redcap came in before I said that, I'll still consider it. I'm now mulling over the submissions received.

Regarding the redcap, I am wondering how this can be a good character if he has to murder people all the time? (Or is that just a description of redcaps in general which doesn't apply to this particular character since he's a halfbreed or something?) While the characters can be dark, they must be unambiguously on the side of good, so I want to make sure about this before looking at the character in detail.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 am

Aboleth11 wrote:I think it fits the game very well.

Thankyou.
Aboleth11 wrote:However, there are a couple things in the build that don't match up with the paragraph on redcaps.

1: It says that if the blood on a redcap's hat dries out, he dies. But there is nothing in the build about that.
1b: If you couldn't let the blood on your cap dry without dying, wouldn't you have noticed it before you were 30?

I was taking the tack that certain parts of popular knowledge about Redcaps was wrong , like how most games with Vampires wouldn't require them to stop their pursuit of you to count something you spilled.
But you make a fair point I'll amend the passage to make that clearer. :)
Aboleth11 wrote:2: I'm guessing your strike is your claws, but you might want to clarify that.

It was intended to be a bite, I was considering making it grab dependant to represent that but didn't want to try & work with grappling on my first go at 2e.
If the GM prefers I'm happy to make it kicks from the Iron boots mortals can't see.

Aboleth11 wrote:3: I'm guessing that the windrunner feat represents the thing about nobody outrunning redcaps, but I don't have whatever book that's from.

It's from Warriors & Warlocks, it's just a point of Speed as a feat.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 am

baixiwei wrote:Regarding the redcap, I am wondering how this can be a good character if he has to murder people all the time? (Or is that just a description of redcaps in general which doesn't apply to this particular character since he's a halfbreed or something?)

My tack on it was that it's not true of any Redcaps. That it's more a culturally enforced tradition than a physical need & that Humans just mythologised it over time.

My character not having been raised that was doesn't think that way.
Sorry I wasn't clearer about it.

EDIT- Have edited my original submission to make this clearer, sorry I forgot to in the first place.

Return to “M&M Game Room”