Wild Cards:SCARE Tactics (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Wild Cards:SCARE Tactics (OOC)

Post by Horsenhero » Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Welcome to the third potential game for me here on the boards. The second game using the Wild Cards setting. This game actually was planned as a sister game to "Aces & 8's/Division 11", before I had the idea for m.i.Space, so my Space Opera has delayed this thread while I labored to achieve the right tone and pace for that game. Now that I think I've accomplished that, and I've cut the games I'm playing in to a manageable number...the interest check is now open.

Like Aces & 8's, this is a PL 8, 120PP game.

It helps, but, isn't 100% necessary to have some knowledge of the Wild Cards setting. Since the timeline of this campaign is set to be concurrent with Aces & 8's/Division 11, everything posted in the setting thread on the "Settings" page applies. The WC characters listed in my build thread "Horsenhero's Stable" all exist in this game.

Like Aces & 8's/Division 11, this game is based in Denver, but, the cast will be involved in completely different sorts of investigations and missions.

Background: After the Denver Wild Card outbreak the federal government ramped up the resources of the SCARE regional office. Under orders from Nephi Calendar, the current head of SCARE (Special Committee on Ace Resources and Endeavors), Michael Slaughter has been recruiting Aces to work for the Justice Dept.

While he has also been instrumental in putting together the team of "independent contractors" financed by Killenbrooke International, the various law enforcement agencies of the U.S., not to mention the military and the NSA have need of Wild Carders in an official capacity. On loan to whichever agencies need them, governed by the Exotic Powers Act, dedicated to the cause of their government...these are the Aces of Justice and this is their story.

What I'm looking for: (again) PL8 120PP 4-5 PC's (a smaller than usual cast for me)

Primarily Aces, but, Joker-Aces, Nats and Deuces will be considered. I will accept exactly 1 Alien, if such characters are submitted. The character has to be a member of the Network (no Takisians please), though it can be of a race the player creates.

All potential pc's should have a decent skill selection, though they don't have to be skill monkeys.

The unkind stuff:

The following powers are Off Limits: controllable Precognition or Postcognition, Mind Control, Possession, Summon (minion), Variable Power Structures (it's a math checking thing), Cosmic Energy Control (too 4 color), Grafting (too 4 color).

The following Extras are Off Limits: Affects Corporeal, No Save.

With all the above in mind and running the risk as being "the Wild Card guy" (2nd game and all), what kind of interest is there for this?

Of course, if you're not certain, you can read through the Wild Cards:Division 11-IC thread to get an idea of my GM-ing style, then let me know. If enough interest is shown, I'll "officially" recruit. If you show interest by posting a build...fantastic. Since it's late May, I'll give this until about the 1st of June. If there's enough interest to launch the game...I'm anxious to. If there isn't...well, the people will have spoken and all that.

I guess the people have spoken. I could fill the game with the applicants I have currently, but, in the sake of all fairness, I'll give recruiting a week (unless I absolutely get swamped with apps, then I may end it early), but for right now consider recruiting open until June 1.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Wild Cards:SCARE Tactics (Interest Check)

Post by Lord Fell » Fri May 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Aces & Eights is one of the games I follow, and I must say it's excellent. The setting and scenario are great, you run it well, and got a great mix of players and characters.

I'm not 100% sure how many games I'm in right now, but the number is probably close to "too many," so I won't apply for this one. However... I think anyone who gets into this game will be happy they applied.

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Bluecross » Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 pm

As a (very happy) player in Horsenhero's Aces & Eights game, I'd love to play in another campaign... ..but I'm in enough games at the moment, so I'll not be submitting a character for this game. I'm sure that anyone who does get in will have an enjoyable time. :D

{And I might be tempted to apply if I can fit it in, or if a replacement character is needed sometime down the track..}
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

LasomBrujha
Zealot
Zealot

Post by LasomBrujha » Fri May 21, 2010 10:58 pm

as intresting as it sounds I don't have that source book so I don't know what a joker, ace, joker-aces, duces are, I can guess at nats but anywho, a little explination is all i need. Thanks
Off screen voice: Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords.
Doctor Who: Fear me, I've killed all of them.

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Bluecross » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 am

For those unfamiliar with the Wild Cards setting (as I was), these threads might be useful:

The OOC thread for the Aces & Eights

Horsenhero's settings thread

Another Settings thread

And there are some other threads on the 'Settings' board.
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Sat May 22, 2010 5:02 am

I'd be interested in playing in a game like this. I don't know much about the setting - practically nothing in fact - but I've been scouring resources on it and it seems pretty cool.

I'm not sure if this character would fit, but I'd like to play a roughed up ex-cop who is just a badass. He would have physical powers, like super attributes or a healing factor, or he would have some hyper-focus ability, like bullet time or something similar.

He could have been recommended for SCARE as one of the only cops willing to throw down with Wild Cards. It would be a reluctant recommendation, however, as he was fired for disobeying orders continuously in order to "do the right thing," but he was just too good for SCARE to pass up.

What do you think?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat May 22, 2010 6:04 am

I like the concept Prescient. Of course, in setting, since all "super-powers" come from Wild Card infection, the officer would be a Wild Carder himself, even if unaware or "up the sleeve" (a setting term for someone hiding their WC abilities). Stat him up and give me a background.

As a note, to all those interested, but unfamiliar with the setting: All SCARE operatives work for the U.S. Justice Dept, but unlike say...Britain's, Order of the Silver Helix, they don't have their own public identity. When they are sent out, it is usually on "loan" to the FBI, though the U.S. Marshalls, ATF, ICE or any other federal law enforcement bureau could act as their temporary home.

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Sat May 22, 2010 6:11 am

Horsenhero wrote:I like the concept Prescient. Of course, in setting, since all "super-powers" come from Wild Card infection, the officer would be a Wild Carder himself, even if unaware or "up the sleeve" (a setting term for someone hiding their WC abilities). Stat him up and give me a background.

As a note, to all those interested, but unfamiliar with the setting: All SCARE operatives work for the U.S. Justice Dept, but unlike say...Britain's, Order of the Silver Helix, they don't have their own public identity. When they are sent out, it is usually on "loan" to the FBI, though the U.S. Marshalls, ATF, ICE or any other federal law enforcement bureau could act as their temporary home.
This'll be fun. I'll get on it soon. I'm thinking he is unaware, but then how would SCARE find him? Can regular people work for SCARE too?

For his part, he has always been strong, tough, and enduring. He has noticed he's gotten stronger, tougher, and goes much longer without tiring, but figures it's just his body adapting to a new workout regimen or the increase in physical activity that he's had beating up on Wild Cards.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat May 22, 2010 6:22 am

Nats (normal people) can work for SCARE, usually as sort of "reverse-loans" from another law-enforcement agency. Since the settings "Exotic Powers Act" allows the U.S. government to conscript civilian Aces for specific missions, very often the operatives are powerful, but, inexperienced and need professional guidance.

Of course, the first time said officer participates in a blood drive or goes to get married, the truth will come out.

I'm not going to get too bogged down in the politics of it all, even if, just like in Aces & 8's/Division 11, politics influences everything that happens.

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Sat May 22, 2010 8:11 am

Here's my build. Hope you like.

Marc Slayton

Power Level: 8 (120pp)

Abilities: STR: 18 [22] (+6), DEX: 14 (+2), CON: 18 [22] (+6), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 12 (+1)

Skills: Drive 6 (+8), Gather Information 8 (+9), Intimidate 10 (+11), Investigate 8 (+10), Knowledge [Streetwise] 8 (+10), Knowledge [Tactics] 6 (+8), Notice 6 (+8), Sense Motive 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+8)

Feats: Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 4, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Precise Shot, Quickdraw 2 (Draw and Reload), Startle, Takedown Attack

Powers: Enhanced Traits 8 (Strength +4, Constitution +4; Power Feats: Power Attack; 9pp)
Super Strength 1 (Heavy Load: 1040lb; 2pp)
AP: Speed 1 and Leaping 1 (1pp)
Regeneration 6 (Recovery Bonus +3; Recovery Rate 3 [Injured 1, Staggered 1, Disabled 1]; Power Feats: Diehard; 7pp)

Equipment: (20ep)
Cellphone (1ep)
Customized Revolver (Blast 6 [Range increment 25 ft]; Power Feats: Improved Range; 14ep)
Handcuffs (1ep)
Reinforced Jacket (Protection 3; Power Feats: Subtle; 4ep)

Combat: Attack +10; Damage +6 (Unarmed and Customized Revolver); Defense 17 (12 flat-footed); Initiative +6

Saves: Toughness +9, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +6

Abilities 30 + Skills 15 (64 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 19 + Combat 28 + Saves 10 = 120

Complications: Reputation (Convicted of Manslaughter), Temper (When Innocents Get Hurt)

Biography: Marc was always a good cop. No, a great cop. He had no fear of criminals or what they could do. His focus was total, defend his city at all costs. A youth spent in the US Marine Corps has trained him to see protecting the innocent as a war between the good guys and the bad guys, and given him a bold, direct attitude to the seemingly endless army of criminals infesting the city - take down the bad guys, and deal with the flak later. Marc's superiors had trouble with that last part, and he was always in some sort of trouble for infractions of the law or department policy. Everything from excessive use of force, to cussing out his Captain were recorded within his very long disciplinary file. But Marc could get the job done better than anyone else, so they kept him on.

The line was drawn when an negligent discharge during a firearms demonstration that Marc was giving resulted in the death of another officer. Grief stricken, Marc didn't try to fight the trial and legal battle that pursued. When he was sentenced to four years in prison for accidental manslaughter, Marc petitioned to not be put in special populations - where police officers, lawyers, politicians, and anyone else generally not physically equipped to handle the general population went. He didn't want his failure to become a victory for criminality, whom would see police officers as weak if he served "soft" time, so he would serve his time the same way they did, in the general population with all the criminals he put away. The fighting was endless, rough, and not always in Marc's favor, but it didn't matter. He needed to pay for what he had done and everything has its cost, even what we don't intentionally wish to pay for.

During his time in prison, Marc got mixed up with a gang of Wild Cards - seemingly superhumans that appeared out of nowhere one day. Those that got power tried to flaunt it by taking over different gangs inside the prison walls. Marc was fairly sure that it was the same on the outside, but he couldn't do anything about that now. During a riot in the mess hall, two corrections guards were getting horribly beaten by a Wild Card gang leader when Marc stepped in. The fight was brutal, with the entire riot stopping to watch, but Marc not only pulled out the win, he nearly killed his opponent, who spent over a month in the infirmary. After that point everybody figured that Marc was a Wild Card too, and gave him a wide berth.

It's been three months since Marc got out of prison, with some nice scars to prove his time wasn't spent "softly." Upon his return, he promptly resigned from the police force. If it hadn't been another officer that Marc had inadvertently killed, he may not have felt so bad, but this was a friend, someone who devoted their life - just as he did - to protecting the city. Now the only world he had known was gone, and his severance package was running out.
Last edited by Prescient on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 am

I like the build and background Prescient. There is only one issue, and this is one you almost never hear, but...the campaign starts in 1996, the technology of the day did not have cellphones performing both phone and PDA functions. The phone and PDA will have to be separate. Like my Aces & 8's game, it's a good thing to keep in mind that in 1996, there were no Nationwide Cellular Networks. Cellphones made phone calls...that's all and dropped calls were far more common. PDA's were available, but, didn't have anywhere near the capability of modern cellphones and Netbooks. Pictures were difficult to download to computer, video impossible for home computers (and most business computers for that matter), etc.

However, for the hard-bitten detective, all that works to their advantage, as "soft" computer geeks and labrats did not yet have the edge in hunting down crooks.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Sat May 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Jamie Donovan was born in 1964, the youngest of three boys his father was an advertising executive and his mother was a straight laced housewife. His father was extremely good at his job, the man could sell sand in the middle of the desert, and because of this they lived a pretty privileged life. Jamie was mostly kept away from all the havoc and destruction that was occurring in the city.

Right out of college, at 23, he took a job with a major newspaper as a part of the crime beat. The city was being torn apart by the gangs, Aces and Joker filled gangs were horning in on the traditional mafia and it was keeping everyone busy. Less than a month into the job there was a massive outbreak and Jamie was caught right in the middle. The city was pandemonium, the National Guard closed off all the bridges and martial law was declared throughout the city. Jamie was hospitalized for nearly two weeks, not because of his wildcard he came out of that just fine, but someone who wasn’t nearly as lucky as he was had literally exploded ten feet from him. He was recovering from surgery the doctor had done a hell of a job digging the strangers rib fragments out of Jamie’s stomach.

The hospital was a strange place for Jamie to be learning about his new power. First of all he was freaked out by how much bacteria could be found in what should have been a sterile environment, the shock of all of a sudden being able to detect and communicate with bacteria was lessened by the sudden realization that bacteria was everywhere and in everyone. It shouldn’t have been a surprise, every biology teacher that he ever had talked about nothing but that. He was suddenly obsessed with it, straight from the hospital he went to the library and read every book that he could get his paws on, he even audited a couple classes.

He kept working, his power made the job even easier and over time he kind of got a reputation with the local cops. The fact that he could stand over a dead body and tell you exactly how long ago they had died didn’t hurt. He was a smart guy and he did his homework, after awhile he even started having civilians approach him with jobs, leaving the newspaper he became a kind of private detective helping to find missing people.

He was in Chicago working a cold case involving a decade old kidnapping when the Denver outbreak occurred and was approached by the Justice Department a few days later. He reported to Denver a few weeks later.

Jamie Donovan

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 120/120

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +1 (12), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +1/+5, Fort: +5, Ref: +5, Will: +7

Skills: Bluff 7 (+10), Diplomacy 7 (+10), Gather Information 7 (+10), Investigate 10 (+15), Knowledge (behavioural science) 5 (+10), Knowledge (civics) 3 (+8), Knowledge (life sciences) 5 (+10), Knowledge (streetwise) 3 (+8), Notice 9 (+11), Search 7 (+12), Sense Motive 9 (+11), Stealth 4 (+5)

Feats: Attack Focus (ranged), Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 8, Equipment 1, Fascinate (Bluff), Improved Initiative, Well-Informed

Powers:
Detect Micro-Organisms (Super-Senses 5) (acute, analytical, detect: Micro-Organisms 1, radius, ranged)
Microbe Control (Nauseate 8) (DC 18; Range 2 (perception))
[ap]Healing 8 (Alternate; DC 18; Persistent, Stabilize)
[ap]Pain 6 (Alternate; DC 16; Alternate Save (Fortitude); Sedation, Reversible)

Equipment: Flashlight, Lock Release Gun, Undercover Shirt

Attack Bonus: +2 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +2, Grapple: +2)

Attacks: Microbe Control (Nauseate 8), (DC Fort/Staged 18), Pain 6, (DC Fort 16), Unarmed Attack, +2 (DC 15)

Defense: +11 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -2

Initiative: +5

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 15 + Powers 39 + Combat 10 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat May 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Nice character CD. That's a very nice, very setting appropriate power array Jamie's got going. His low attack scores threw me for a moment until I noticed both his attack powers are perception range. Just goes to show... reread before you comment. 8)

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Sat May 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Yeah, I'm usually pretty wary about using perception ranged powers and I had to take a little time to consider it but none of his powers cause damage to anyone else. He can hurt them and make them sick but he can't bruise or injure anyone. It didn't really make sense for the powers to not be perception ranged though since he's basically causing the bacteria that's already inside of them to attack them. It's pretty nifty I think.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Sat May 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Horsenhero wrote:I like the build and background Prescient. There is only one issue, and this is one you almost never hear, but...the campaign starts in 1996, the technology of the day did not have cellphones performing both phone and PDA functions. The phone and PDA will have to be separate. Like my Aces & 8's game, it's a good thing to keep in mind that in 1996, there were no Nationwide Cellular Networks. Cellphones made phone calls...that's all and dropped calls were far more common. PDA's were available, but, didn't have anywhere near the capability of modern cellphones and Netbooks. Pictures were difficult to download to computer, video impossible for home computers (and most business computers for that matter), etc.

However, for the hard-bitten detective, all that works to their advantage, as "soft" computer geeks and labrats did not yet have the edge in hunting down crooks.
:) Sorry, didn't see that in any of the setting stuff I was looking at. I fixed it. Actually I just took it out completely. Nothing else feels right for him, and I don't want him feel like some camera carrying tourist :lol:?

I think I'll consider this my final submission, Marc Slayton is finished.

EDIT: Cleaned up the build a bit, noticed I was 2 points over. Also removed his handcuffs, as of right now he isn't a police officer, and I made turned his vest into a reinforced jacket - which is not subtle, but is stylish :).