Power Profiles Book: Luck Powers

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Mister Astounding
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Power Profiles Book: Luck Powers

Postby Mister Astounding » Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm trying to create the power Lucky Shot (p. 100) in Hero Lab, but I can't find any option that comes close to creating it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Power Profiles Book: Luck Powers

Postby saint_matthew » Sat May 03, 2014 1:30 am

Mister Astounding wrote:I'm trying to create the power Lucky Shot (p. 100) in Hero Lab, but I can't find any option that comes close to creating it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

tell me what it does & we can break it down into its effect parts.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sat May 03, 2014 3:51 am

Lucky Shot is one of the enhanced extras introduced in the Luck and Talent Powers Power Profiles. These are also known as 'floating extras', which Hero Lab may not be able to do ... yet. They are simply not part of the core rules.
Luck powers power profile wrote:Lucky Shot: Enhanced Extra (Perception Range), Variable Descriptor (Attacks), Quirk (Limited to Lower of Attack or Extra’s Rank, –1 points) • 1 point per rank.
Lucky Shot changes any ranged attack to perception ranged; basically, you can hit anything you can see, whether using an inherent power or a weapon. Exactly as it says, it is the Perception Ranged extra which can be applied to any attack.

NB 1: It's stated that it can also apply to close attacks, but I'd at least require the target of such to remain within reach when doing so.

NB 2: The quirk is used for enhanced extras in Luck Powers, but was later dropped in Talent Powers as it's not really an additional limitation; it's just how they have to work.

NB 3: Talent Powers also considers any "attacks" to be worth Variable Descriptor 2. Variable Descriptor 1 only allows the floating extra to apply to one specific type of attack (such as Damage).

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat May 03, 2014 2:59 pm

I put up a "Naked Extra" power on the Lone Wolf forums for just such an occasion. ^_^

Mister Astounding
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Mister Astounding » Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks. Now, how do I load it?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun May 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Drop it into the Game System Data folder (by default, C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\mutants3) and start up your copy of Hero Lab. Under Powers, you'll have the "Naked" Power as one of your options. Set it to Rank 1 (Narrow) or Rank 2 (Broad) and then add your extras.

Mister Astounding
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Mister Astounding » Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Got it. Although I had to adjust the range for the Extra, because Lucky Shot is Perception Range, rather than Personal. With no increase in point value.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon May 05, 2014 11:11 am

Ah. Yes, that would be because the Lucky Shot power adds one more rank of Ranged to a ranged attack, boosting it to Perception. A proper implementation of it (as will no doubt be done when Wolf Lair releases all of the Power Profiles as a 3E update) will either simply state that all ranged attacks become Perception or would actually find all of the ranged attacks and either add or raise the Ranged extra value.

Return to “DC Adventures”