Shrink-limited powers

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Rainman
Bystander
Bystander

Shrink-limited powers

Postby Rainman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm working on a character that gets tougher and stronger as he shrinks, but am unsure of how to set it up.

Originally I planned to have Enhanced Strength and Protection with Limited: Only When Shrunken, which would be -1/rank. However, then I thought about things like Alternate Form where the discount is only a point or two total. Is the discount per rank too generous? Being a 12" tank certainly would have its disadvantages, but can it justify subtracting so much? I could instead give them a flat Activation discount, since they're tied to a power that isn't permanent.

Drakos
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Shrink-limited powers

Postby Drakos » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Well, if you have the Power Profiles then I would suggest that you take a look at Density the Mass Compaction power in the Size Powers. It's basically buying extra strength and toughness tied to your shrinking. Just remember to take the extra on Normal Strength on your shrinking.

I've made up a character called White Dwarf that had this ability. He is an Albino Dwarf who discovered his mutant ability to shrink and get tougher.
Be a Hero

Rainman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rainman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 am

Hm, not sure I like the math with Mass Compaction.

For a PL 10 hero, I'm spending 30 points on Shrinking (with the Normal Strength extra) and 20 points for Mass Compaction. If I spend 20 points on Shrinking without the extra, 20 points on Enhanced Strength, and 10 points for Protection it costs me the same thing and I can be super strong and tough even when not shrunken, and all I sacrifice is my normal strength (which isn't much). Now if MC offered Enhanced Stamina instead of Toughness then it might be worth it, since that would boost things like Fortitude. To add to the confusion I also want to add Flight to the Shrinking dependency.

I'm tempted to make up my own Dependent Power Flaw with the same mechanics as Removable (-1 per 5 ranks) since the effect is similar; It usually won't matter, but occasionally it'll be a problem.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:40 am

More times then not dependent isn't really a flaw. It's a complication, or quirk at best.

How often is the character not going to be able to shirk entirely, and so not have access to all his bonus strength and toughness? The answer is probably very seldom. A -1 flaw is supposed to affect the power roughly 50% of the time and I don't generally see that happening with dependent.

As a quirk the player can save a point or two and as a complication the player can get a hero point every so often when the gm decides to use it against them. That's generally good enough.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I have a few problems with Size Powers. First off, they're package deals of several effects with the discount based on the weakly defined disadvantages of the size change and arguably not very balanced. Secondly, some of those effects are tied to PL, so it puts an artificial ceiling on how much size you can use. While I think the actual powers are an excellent guideline for what kind of effects you might want with your size change, I think buying the effects a la carte is going to serve most concepts better.

For your Compacter, I would suggest doing away with the Shrinking power and using a Custom Feature I call Smaller. Every rank makes you able to move around or through more physically restricting areas, with the common descriptor being you are half as tall (exactly like moving down one rank of Size) because once you strip all of the effects off of Shrink, that's basically what's left. Smaller does NOT increase your Stealth or Defenses; if you want to improve those, buy them. It doesn't lower your STR, Intimidation skill, or ground speed; if you don't want to improve those, don't buy them. It doesn't even lower your mass; I leave it to you to come up with an advantage for low mass that can't be simulated with another effect, or a disadvantage that could simply be a Complication. By default Smaller should be Personal, Sustained and a Free Action to change size.

Figure out your smallest size, then your maximum STR and Toughness without breaking PL and Link them all together. Add the Limitation to STR and Toughness that they increase proportionally with Smaller. For instance, if your minimum size is 6 inches (size rank -5) that's 3 ranks of Smaller. If your max STR is 15 and your Toughness 12, the Limit would allow 5 ranks of STR and 4 ranks of Toughness for each rank of Smaller. So far, that's 30p and it does everything you've overtly described for your concept.

You'll probably want to buy up your defenses, but be sure they don't go higher than PL*2 when combine with you max Toughness. You can make yourself harder to spot with Stealth, or Hide in Plain Sight, or even Concealment (descriptor: too small to detect). You could give yourself a Complication for Being Small, although that's easy to overcome. If you want to get even more complex, you could have a Superdense Complication and deal with all your mass focused on a small area and doing damage to anything you're standing on or rapidly sinking through soil or sand.

It would take a GM willing to accept the Smaller Feature, but otherwise, how does that work for you?
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Rainman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rainman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 am

Sorry, JD, but your solution is too much for my poor little brain. For the time being I'll deduct a 1 or 2 point quirk for each power. If I ever manage to play him in a game I'll iron it out with the GM then.

Return to “DC Adventures”