Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Kristoff, Manifold, Comet Man, Obadiah Sta

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:44 pm

ALPHA THE ULTIMATE MUTANT
Created By:
Len Wein & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Defenders #15 (1974)
Role: One-Shot Villain
PL 12 (286)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Perception 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Turn to Stone" Affliction 15 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Incapacitated/Transformed to Stone & Unaware) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative, Extra Condition) (60) -- [67]
    AE: "Telekinetic Spin" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
    AE: "Fuse to the Ground" Snare 13 (39)
    AE: "Lifts the United Nations Building" Move Object 14 (Feats: Increased Mass 4) (6,000 tons) (32)
    AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 12 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (34)
    AE: "Transmute Elements" Transform 10 (50)
    AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Extended, Accurate, Portal +2) (48)
    AE: Force Field 2 (Extras: Affects Others 10, Impervious 9) (21)
"De-Age Permanently" Affliction 12 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Child) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst, Continuous +3) [72]

"Pavement to Rock-Men" Summon 3 (Extras: 8 Minions +6, Horde) [27]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
"Tall" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
TK Spin +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Fuse to Ground +8 (+13 Ranged Affliction, DC 23)
De-Age +10 Area (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Turn to Stone +8 (+15 Ranged Affliction, DC 25)
Mind-Reading -- (+12, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Starts Out Dumb)- Initially, Alpha was INT -2 and AWA -2, and was easily-led by Magneto. Repeated uses of his power made him smarter.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 199 / Defenses: 10 (286)

-Len Wein did a lot of semi-popular work on his mid-70s book The Defenders, featuring a lot of lesser-known Marvel characters, which gave a lot of freedom in storytelling compared to more-iconic, "important" characters who had to be kept at some kind of status quo. Alpha The Ultimate Mutant is a goofy-ass character created by Magneto in his "Generic Conqueror Villain" days (before Chris Claremont reinvented him as a thoughtful, brooding Holocaust survivor), after he found a long-lost civilization underneath New Mexico (a pretty big mystery, when you think about it. Though it's probably just an old Deviant city or something) and bio-engineered a powerful dude out of it. Alpha started out dumb, but got smarter with each use of his powers, which got extreme enough to fend off The Defenders by himself, until he got smart enough to realize that The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants were a bunch of douchebags (this was accomplished via a mind-scan, though you'd think THE FREAKING NAME OF THE GROUP would have been a tip-off). Getting pissed off, Alpha transforms them into a bunch of children (this is actually a plot point later, when Moira MacTaggart tries to "de-evil" the infant Magneto, who is PISSED when he discovers it later on, leading to his death in X-Men #3 in the early '90s). Deciding to leave the planet and explore the universe, he turns into a beam of light and vanishes.

-This guy only appeared in one 1974 story, and then a Quasar one (one guess who was writing that)- it ends in an oddly-similar way to the "Amazo" story in Justice League, looking into it. And by similar I mean it was basically exactly the same, complete with "mind-reading his ally to find out how evil he is, and then he goes into space."

-Alpha's powers are INSANE- not only does he have a veritable grab-bag of assorted mental tricks and Telekinesis, but he can fully-Transmute just about anything, giving him both Transform AND various Afflictions, some of which can de-age people, Snare them, or just turn them to Stone. Hell, the last power was used on THE INCREDIBLE HULK, so you know that damn Affliction is high-level. Even considering everyone was at 1970s Power Levels for that fight, this guy is nutty. PL 12 and with an incredible amount of powers.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Manifold, Comet Man, Obadiah Stane, Alpha

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks Jab. I always appreciate when you put your formidable skills to use on one of my requests, especially since they tend to be guys like Alpha and Nebulon. People discount the old Defenders book, but they forget that the now iconic jobber team "The Wrecking Crew" debuted in that book.

So yeah, I'm a Defenders fan, especially the Dr. Strange, Hulk, Nighthawk & Valkyrie team.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 pm

ImageImage

DOCTOR BONG (Lester Verde)
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Marie Severin
First Appearance: Howard the Duck #15 (Aug. 1977)
Role: Goofy Villain, Walking Stoner Pun
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+16)
Expertise (Punk Rocker) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Psychology) 2 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Bong Castle- Can Teleport), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Bong" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
"Paralysis" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (24) -- (27 points)
    AE: "Bong Hit" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
    AE: "Concussive Force" Blast 8 (16)
    AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bong Hit +5 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Concussive Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Paralysis +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (One-Handed)- Doctor Bong lost a hand while playing punk rock and using a miniature guillotine. He has replaced it with a large spherical bell-ringer he calls a "Bong".
Power Loss (Powers)- Doctor Bong must strike his bell-shaped helmet with his Bong to utilize any of his powers.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 11 (101)

-Based off of journalist Bob Greene (never heard of him), Doctor Bong was a bullied child who became a student of journalism, but got his hand severed by a miniature guillotine while performing with a punk band (did I mention that Steve Gerber, creator of Howard the Duck, created him? I totally should because it explains a lot). He eventaully married Beverly Switzer, but Bill Mantlo, who took over the book from Gerber, had them split up. My only familiarity with the character came from an appearance almost a decade after his disappearance, in John Byrne's She-Hulk series. Now, he was a pop culture enthusiast who was disgusted with the censorship on television- his plan was to make TV as realistic, educational, and violent as possible, so that his genetically-engineered Bong Quintuplets would grow up seeing that violence was abhorrent- this was accomplished by airing "updated" versions of old classic bits, like when one of the Three Stooges slices open the skull of another with a chainsaw. He traps She-Hulk with some civilians, but she's able to tear through the Comic Book Classified Guide section of the issue (one of the guys skins his shin on a staple) and escape the prison. She-Hulk naturally bitches out Byrne for giving her such a loser opponent for her fifth issue ("Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four got DOCTOR DOOM for THEIR fifth issues!!").

-This weird, insane character was obviously never meant to be taken seriously, which made him a natural for another decade-later reappearance in Deadpool's book, which revealed him to be a PhD in Psychology now. Nowadays, he just shows up as a gag villain in a few Bar With No Name stories. He's not much of a fighter, but is a VERY good scientist, able to create artificial life, genetically-engineered human beings (the single appearance of the Bong Quintuplets), a Teleporting Castle, an Illusion-maker, and something that lets him evolve beings. He's probably the smartest Joke Villain in comics.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm just waiting for the day a writer shows Dr. Bong, Dr. Demonicus and Dr. Sun all sitting around having a beer, bemoaning their respective loser statuses, despite their genius.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: Jab's Builds: Comet Man, Obadiah Stane, Alpha, Doctor Bo

Postby BlindPugh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 am

This is a fantastic run of builds, Jab. Especially remembering Comet Man, big points for that.
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 am

Why can't I stop smirking at Dr Bong's name?
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Horsenhero wrote:formidable skills guys like Alpha and Nebulon. People discount the old Defenders book, but they forget that the now iconic jobber team "The Wrecking Crew" debuted in that book.

So yeah, I'm a Defenders fan, especially the Dr. Strange, Hulk, Nighthawk & Valkyrie team.

Yep, me too!

I loved the original Defenders and those first 50 issues were the best!

Alpha started out a brutish analog of the Hulk, but became quite intelligent, powerful and unique by the end of the 2-issue story. Even the Blob was shown as being quite brutish and stronger in those issues than he had been before or after for the most part.

I always wondered what became of Alpha and if he further mutated to a higher form or even an energy form?
Wasn't there another character....the Futurist or something who was very similar to Alpha?

Nebulon was another great character debuted in the Defenders. I liked the Bozos stories too.

Besides the Wrecking Crew, Luke Cage also made an appearance which helped make him known for when he later received his own book with Iron Fist. It also established a link with the team and Luke returned years later to help out the Defenders.

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Maybe it's quibbling, or early onset dementia, but I seem to recall that She Hulk issue with Doctor Bong had him creating "realistic" versions of tv favorites (realistic repurcussions for Stooge violence, the Flinstones are actual Cro-Magnons, etc.) because the Bong Quintuplets found an old TV set in the castle, and he was horrified that it would rot their brains so he wanted it to be educational.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm

CAPTAIN UNIVERSE (Tamara Devoux)
Created By:
Jonathan Hickman & Jerome Opena
First Appearance: Avengers #1 (Feb. 2013)
Role: Uber-Powered Template, Crazy Hero
PL 15 (229)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 18 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Perception 6 (+5)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Imbued With The Power Cosmic"
Impervious Toughness 15 [15]
Immunity 12 (Aging, Sleep, Life Support) [12]
"Immune to the Ravages of Space" Immunity 2 (Proximity to Stars & Suns) [2]

"Cosmic Mind"
"Uni-Vision" Senses 12 (Microscopic Vision 4, Extended Vision 4, Vision Penetrates Concealment 4) [12]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]

"Molecular Rearrangement" Transform (Anything to Anything) 13 (Extras: Continuous) (78) -- [85]
    AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 18 (Extras: Perception Ranged on 15 Ranks) (51)
    AE: Cosmic Blast 20 (Feats: Extended Range 2, Penetrating 5) (47)
    AE: "Cosmic Explosion" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45)
    AE: "Cosmic Beam" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45)
    AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (45)
    AE: "Uni-Hypnosis" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Selective, Cumulative) (48)
    AE: "Transform Others" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (36)
Flight 15 (64,000 mph) [30]
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Dimensional Travel) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Cosmic Area Attacks +15 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +18 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +18, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Uni-Power)- The Uni-Power is sentient, and will leave it's host if the host begins using its powers for evil, such as the committing of crimes.
Responsibility (Broken Mind)- Her mind broken by a car crash, Tamara is prone to making random statements, and cannot strategize effectively.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 129 / Defenses: 10 (229)

-I'll never figure out why some writers just LOVE to write "Crazy Dialogue" so much. The latest benefactor of the Uni-Power is Tamara Devoux, a comatose car-crash victim whose mind has pretty much cracked because of it, leaving her prone to making random comments and say crazy things (like demanding pie), or just deliver the secrets of the universe in a way that's hyper-vague and hard to figure out. She's pretty much just like Starman in that JSA arc, and I hated it then and I hate it now. I just don't get the appeal- maybe it's because I've played on too many RPG games with the "Crazy Guy Who Says Random Things" character across the table, so I know how annoying that behavior is in real life. In any case, Tamara ends up with low Mental Stats, but an INSANE Power Level otherwise- she's pretty effortlessly a top-tier Avenger, and keep in mind that squad now includes Thor, Hyperion & The Hulk.

-Captain Universe and the Uni-Power were intially brought to the Marvel Universe because Bill Mantlo & Jim Shooter wanted to find a way to tie their "Micronauts" toy-based universe in with the Marvel Universe as a whole. As such, this Cosmic Power ended up bestowing itself onto various individuals, generally civilians. It even got used in a special comic where people could pay to put THEMSELVES into the role (stock stories which would add different skin and hair to Captain Universe)! This was mainly used in the 1980s, as the concept had fallen by the wayside seriously by even 1990, with it's biggest showing coming in the Spider-Man books, where he temporarily flew around with Phenomenal Cosmic Power in a pretty fun little gimmick. One of these guys earned my eternal adoration by one-shotting Deathclaw when she turned on him (she was so hated that the writers basically had her go mad and try to murder a teammate for no reason, only to die easily), but he perished to the Annihilation Wave soon afterwards.

-The Uni-Power makes the wearer a PL 15 at minimum, and cranks their existing powers up as well. When Spider-Man wielded the Uni-Power, he was the most powerful super-hero on Earth for a good chunk of time, and easily threw Terminus into space with help from Quasar. In effect, the Uni-Power makes you as tough as a Herald of Galactus, even if you're a baseline human. A great fighter like Spider-Man or another established super-hero can REALLY use the power with their higher accuracy to bust some heads.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:09 pm

yeah, part of the fun of Cosmic Spidey was that it took place during the Acts of Vengeance event, where everybody switched bad guys, so while the fantastic four had an entire issue of wave after wave of Spidey villains trying and failing to break into Four Freedom's Plaza, Spidey got the parade of avengers-grade foes, including the Gray hulk (whom he punched into orbit)
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Claire Redfield
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Claire Redfield » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

In a sequel to the original "Spidey meets Juggernaut" story, called Something Can Stop the Juggernaut, Captain Universe beat Juggernaut into a coma at the story's outset. The bearer was just a normal man, but the Uni-Power was so great he legitimately had a chance at killing Juggernaut.

Then at the climax of the story, Juggernaut briefly gets the Uni-Power. :shock:
Claire Redfield • Onyx Path Freelancer
Demon: The Descent, Blood & Smoke, Book of the Wyrm and Umbra 20

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Love the Uni-Power as a concept and really dig this build of the current wielder. The Increased Range cutting off before the full ranks on Move Object is a nice way to really put some power in there while keeping within caps. Nice trick.

I do think that this build is missing some kind of benefit or status though. Tamara definitely has negative charisma but people still bow and respect and call her Mother and whatnot. It can't be hypnosis though, because Tony or whoever is always like yeeeeeeah...okaaaay instead of joining in.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 pm

I wouldn't even know what kind of effect that Benefit would have, though- only a couple characters even seem to know what she is or represents. And those are people The Avengers generally don't trust.

Also, re-reading the Avengers book to get a better handle on the weirdos they introduced really makes it clear some of the issues I've talked about- Hyperion gets a solo issue that basically contains zero characterization and more of an origin with flouncy dialogue over it, Cannonball & Sunspot are basically the Bromance for the Ages but rarely show up (and yeah, Sam is portrayed as more of a wacky fratboy than in any of his other personas- Claremont is one of the few writers to really get a handle on him), Shang-Chi doesn't do much of anything, Smasher gets a pretty decent origin/character bit but then vanishes, etc. Nightmask, Captain Universe & Ex Nihilo all basically speak in the exact same manner (riddles/half-assed explanations/crazy talk that means nothing), only barely hinting at what's to come ("The White Event" over and over again. Never is it really explained). At least the other characters tend to be as confused as the fans are.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:52 pm

Humberto Ramos: Because this generation needed its own Rob Liefeld.

ALPHA (Andrew "Andy" Maguire)
Created By:
Dan Slott & Humberto Ramos
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #692 (Aug. 2012)
Role: Irresponsible Hero
PL 10 (78)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Cosmic Power, But One At A Time"
Cosmic Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (24) -- [29]
    AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
    AE: Force Field 8 (Extras: Impervious 5) (13)
    AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 12 (24)
    AE: Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
    AE: "Super-Strength" Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
Senses 6 (Extended Vision 4, Vision Penetrates Concealment) [6]
"Energy Mask" Enhanced Advantages 1: Quick Change [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Super-Strength +5 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Cosmic Blast +6 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Cosmic Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+11 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Parents)- Andy's parents do not care much about him, and he becomes legally emancipated from them after gaining his powers.
Responsibility (All Power, No Responsibility)- Andy often lets loose when he shouldn't, and overdose it with his powers (such as using full power on normal humans). This accident-prone nature gives him a bad reputation amongst super-humans.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 8 (78)

-Andrew (named for both of Peter Parker's portrayals' actors on film) was a Midtown High student, he has a Parker-ish origin while Pete is showing his students some "Parker Particles", and ends up being trained by a bunch of superheroes in his new powers. However, he turned out to be too irresponsible with them, and Spidey had his powers greatly diminished, awaiting the day when he would mature enough to wield them. The Superior "Ock" Spider-Man gave him the powers back, and he ended up fighting some "Zetas", monsters that were created because of his powers... somehow.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 pm

IMMORTUS (Nathaniel Richards)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Avengers #10 (Nov. 1964)
Role: Futuristic Douchebag, Manipulator
PL 6 (134)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 9 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 10 (+15)
Expertise (History) 10 (+18)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+16)
Expertise (Tactics) 5 (+14)
Expertise (Dictator) 7 (+16)
Insight 8 (+13)
Perception 4 (+9)
Persuasion 5 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+5)
Technology 7 (+16)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit 6 (Time-Keepers' Agent), Defensive Attack, Equipment 20 (Time Ship, Etc.), Fearless, Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Time Keepers' Will)- Immortus, tired of a life beset by tragedy of his own making (including the deaths of his son Marcus, and consort Ravonna), has fallen in with the Time Keepers, and generally does their bidding.
Enemy (Kang the Conqueror)- Immortus' "Past Self" is a conquering war-monger who frequently has grand plans that require interference from Immortus himself.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (134)

-Immortus, who was eventually revealed to be the future self of future-villain Kang (and that is, by a WIDE MARGIN, the SIMPLEST part of his backstory), is generally a Cosmic Chessmaster who manipulates The Avengers frequently for his own ends. Though basically Kang, he is an older, more scholarly character, and more in tune with the "way things SHOULD be", and often goes out to set things right, often at the behest of his masters, the Time-Keepers. However, Kang is DISGUSTED that he could turn into this "old doddering scholar", beholden to the will of others, and opposes Immortus every step of the way (at the climax of the fantastic Avengers Forever, the two are physically separated, so that they grow independently).

-Generally speaking, Immortus stories are hard to figure out, elaborate and involve seemingly-random changes in motivation and personality, as sometimes he's a "bad guy", and sometimes he's a "good guy". Any possible story can be told with him (and most writers will just use Kang if they want a Time-Travelling Villain, and only use Immortus if they want a careful planner/plotter, not a battling Conqueror, as that's Kang's schtick).

-While a worse fighter than his younger self (he barely seems to fight AT ALL, really), Immortus is a far more careful planner, and heroes generally will never get to engage him. He will simply manipulate things from Limbo (actual Limbo, not "Otherplace" Limbo, which is ruled by Illyana Rasputin- Marvel would of course use and refer to BOTH, despite them being different places, and still calls Illyana's home "Limbo" since Magik is a much more popular and more-used character than Immortus), generally with any kind of technological potential. A personal favourite tactic when confronted physically is to Summon any number of super-powerful allies from throughout time- these can often be powerful enough to handle THOR for a good time. Though "only" PL 6, he will frequently be encountered with things that could push him FAR beyond that level- this is a Manipulator/Plan Your Battles kind of villain, not a front-line fighter.

Return to “Roll Call”