The HOBBIT An Unexpected Journey 2013

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: The HOBBIT An Unexpected Journey 2013

Postby Millennium » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 am

luketheduke86 wrote:My problem with the high frame rate was the detachment of the actors from the background, which made the CGI too noticeable to me and ruined some of my suspension of disbelief. Don't get me wrong it was incredibly detailed, but everything just seemed TOO detailed, if that makes any sense...

I know what you mean. I watched in 2d then hfr 3d an couldn't help comparing the two. In the hfr the actors and objects are so 'real' the cgi becomes noticeably more like cgi.

I noticed the same problem when we first shifted to high def. If the tech takes off that problem will disappear

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 am

I wonder if the Blu release will have options for 24 & 48 FPS or just 48 (or even more doubtful just 24). I also wonder if the viewer reaction to this will result in staying away from 48fps or if it will make the studios consider more use of practical effects where CGI isn't required.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am

I saw it on Friday 13th and yes they play fast and loose with the book again.
If you have arachnophobia you will be running out of the cinema early on. It really makes the flesh crawl.
Then you have the reappearance of Legolas and the new female character Tauriel.
The escape by barrals is turned into a thrill ride and you also get someone being an unexpected fighter.
Dol Guilder is opened out a bit and is impressive as a fortress.
They also split the party which goes against good sense from Dungeons and Dragons and Call of Cthulhu terms.
You get to see how big a bee is to a Hobbit.
Amd then there is Smaug. Oh boy, do we really have a new baseline for what a dragon is and what it can do. Repeat viewings will be for this. The dwarves actually come up with a way to try and kill him which is novel and again not in the book.
I look forward to Bard's moment of greatness and Stephen Fry's (as the Lake Master) death.
Dangerous when cute

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:05 pm

I went to see it today in IMAX 3d (I had a free pass). I have to say it is one of THE most visually stunning movies I have EVER seen. The higher frame rate really sets it off. Normally I can't see 3d (blind in one eye) so for me to say it made everything look like it was live in the same room and 3d is amazing. To the point I was willing to overlook their... fast and loose... with the book. Absolutely stunning.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby JetstreamGW » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 pm

death tribble wrote:I saw it on Friday 13th and yes they play fast and loose with the book again.
If you have arachnophobia you will be running out of the cinema early on. It really makes the flesh crawl.
The escape by barrals is turned into a thrill ride and you also get someone being an unexpected fighter.
They also split the party which goes against good sense from Dungeons and Dragons and Call of Cthulhu terms.
Amd then there is Smaug. Oh boy, do we really have a new baseline for what a dragon is and what it can do. Repeat viewings will be for this. The dwarves actually come up with a way to try and kill him which is novel and again not in the book.
I look forward to Bard's moment of greatness and Stephen Fry's (as the Lake Master) death.

Okay... okay the spider thing.

Are they REALISTIC looking spiders, or are they giant spidery thingies like in Harry Potter 2? I need to know this, because I want to see the film but spiders squick me the hell out.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 am

JetstreamGW wrote:
death tribble wrote:I saw it on Friday 13th and yes they play fast and loose with the book again.

Okay... okay the spider thing.

Are they REALISTIC looking spiders, or are they giant spidery thingies like in Harry Potter 2? I need to know this, because I want to see the film but spiders squick me the hell out.

you'll be crying for mommy.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:49 pm

JetstreamGW wrote:Okay... okay the spider thing.

They're pretty realistic. And the voices, oh the voices.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:43 am

I will go on record here and say that, while I had a few difficulties accepting some of the changes made, other changes I very much see as not only making perfect sense but making the original novel EVEN BETTER (just what WAS Mr Baggins supposed to burgle Professor Tolkien?); I therefore had absolutely no problem enjoying the movie despite the best efforts of that nagging "But it should be like THIS because I think so" whine of an inner voice of envy we nerds must sometimes endure.

Also Smaug the Golden has very successfully proven once again why roughly 99.9% of Dragons in fantasy fiction look like mindless lettuce-mushing flying dinosaur-iguanas when compared with him, so far as I am concerned (for those of you who have read The Princess and The Queen, even those flying dinosaurian nuclear deterrent death-monsters are going to look just that little bit less imposing next to something the size of Balerion the Black Dread, with a Bond-Villain Brain and the EVIL VOICE of BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH).

I may be biased though; also I may now be hungering for a throw-down between Smaug the Golden and Draco (from Dragonheart in days of yore) so as you readers will doubtless be able to guess I REALLY liked the film!
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:05 am

I was actually underwhelmed by the CGI dragon. I think I prefer the effects used for dragons in movies like Dragonslayer and even the (otherwise very bad) movie Reign of Fire.

Plus, 'Smaug the Golden?' Smaug was Smaug. There was a 'the Golden' dragon in Middle-Earth, but his name was Glaurung, IIRC. Plus, once you've been called 'Chiefest and Most Terrible of Calamities,' 'the Golden' kind of pales as a title. :)

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:35 am

Smaug being decidedly smug, I doubt he would object to any title provided that it were sufficiently flattering; I would also like to say that I rather LIKED Reign of Fire even if it did rather skip the best bit (Dragons Vs Modern Civilisation, WINNER TAKE ALL!).

Having only glimpsed Dragonslayer I can only say that it seemed a solid enough production, but was rather dragged down in my estimation by being one of those Fantasy stories that wants to pretend it's a History so that the grown-ups won't laugh at it (it is perhaps unworthy of me to suggest that my attitude towards A Song of Ice and Fire is much the same).

As for the titular CGI Dragon in The Desolation of Smaug; I wouldn't want to cross him, but I certainly found him an immensely enjoyable villain of the 'Love to Hate' sort (rather like an Alan Rickman character with Scales).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:24 am

Setothes wrote:'Chiefest and Most Terrible of Calamities,'

Sounds like me last girlfriend...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”