Destroying a galaxy... LOL

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
spikevampire
Collaborator
Collaborator

Destroying a galaxy... LOL

Postby spikevampire » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello guys,
just a quick check... I was trying to stupidly compute a calculation to destroy our galaxy and I calculated that the "thickness" is about rank 54 (100.000 LY diameter makes something like 65 Billion Km).

The only question is now... Does it have base Toughness save 0 or -5???

Most of it is vacuum so should be thoughnessless...

I know it sounds crazy but it's fun to know it!!!
(and it might turn out useful once galactus comes to threat earth)

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Destroying a galaxy... LOL

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:12 pm

spikevampire wrote:Hello guys,
Most of it is vacuum so should be thoughnessless...

So how would you use a damage effect to destroy a vacuum exactly...? :|

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm

The simplest solution? Figure out the Effect needed to actually destroy all the astrophysical stuff in there, not the vacuum. Then, once everything in the galaxy has been destroyed, reduced to simple emptiness, you can consider the galaxy destroyed. Mostly because destroyed vacuum is impossible, and beyond even the Beyonder...

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Nullify (Cosmic) on that scale maybe? :D

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:37 am

I think I'd just call the concept pl x plot device.

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 am

The real effect of the destruction of the galaxy is that the character (assuming he's immune to his own power) is now either in a blank slate of empty space, or time splits up to create an alternate reality where the galaxy was destroyed.

From the perspective of the world it's Movement (Dimensional Travel) 1, leading to the alternate universe. While to the rest of the world, nothing seems to have changed, for the character with this power it will appear as if the galaxy was destroyed.

This is a great way to "punish" a player who uses this idea, effectively allowing him to write himself out of the campaign.

spikevampire
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby spikevampire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am

Oh so you suggest to handle that as a plot device and that's it...

I was wondering because of people like Galactus / Odin / Phoenix Force or other Omnipotent beings are famous to be Galaxy busters or have feats showing that.

of course I have no idea what the aftermath of a destroyed galaxy would be...

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm

spikevampire wrote:Oh so you suggest to handle that as a plot device and that's it...

This kind of defines plot device to me: an occurrence so powerful it alters the ability to tell your story. If you have a character with a power that would destroy the galaxy, but have no idea what would happen if they actually used that power successfully, you have a few options.

1) Make sure that power never gets used, or more precisely, make sure your players never allow that power to get used.
2) Destroy the galaxy and improvise the outcome.

Ask yourself which game you would rather play and take it from there.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

spikevampire
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby spikevampire » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 am

Yeah, it sounds like I will have to make it look like a "what if" story because I don't think there will be so much of a game after that... or it can just be a starting point for a dimensional travel (back in time and to another reality) not to make it happen!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Well damage 35 can do some planet busting damage, so a whole galaxy I'd say some where in the range of 45 damage? no more than Damage 50, and it could be like Damage 40 or 42.

First, by 'destroy' what do you mean? Atomize? how about black holes? do you mean blink out of existence? Realize Death could not do this, Eternity, why would it, and Galactus, can't either. In DC I don't think even the anti-monitor could. Now, entities like One-Above All or the Beyonder could. I know the Beyonder could, and so could any 'reality altering' entities, it is not merely one galaxy but whatever hyperdimensional 'magic' used to effect All of Reality. I think the Infinity Gauntlet could.

All this is very much in the realm of PLX and solely the GM's plot device type thing, unless your just wanting to stat up massively ranked powered characters and go to town on each other.

I'd say give the Beyonder 40's in all stats and rank 50 Reality Shaping and then go from there. Let's see what he can do.

Ofcourse, how about the mischievous Imp from the 5th dimension? or the Batmite? or Impossible Man. What about them? I'd assume less than that, but still like rank 25+ powers that could deal out some planet warping/destroying, and possibly a galaxy bending action or two.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:37 pm

I, for one, tend to go for the simplest explanation: It's a friggin' plot device. Don't give it any cold hard stats or numbers, and don't let the PCs get access to this without becoming NPCs themselves. Use such power as a plot device and leave it at that. Seriously.

Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Damren » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Figure out a way to displace or destroy the super-massive black hole at it's core & it will likely fly apart in a few hundred thousand to a million years (give or take). That may not be the level of destruction you're looking for, but it would do a number on the whole 'galaxy' concept.

If you're talking about burning the whole thing away, that would take considerably more power. Just the time it would take for any super-power to span the entire galaxy would be prohibitive when they stretch out many thousands to tens of thousands of light years across. Unless you use some progressive entropy effect that includes the 'Space Travel' ability - like a Sun Eater on steroids that progressively duplicates itself every time it eats a star.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:40 pm

spikevampire wrote:Oh so you suggest to handle that as a plot device and that's it...

I was wondering because of people like Galactus / Odin / Phoenix Force or other Omnipotent beings are famous to be Galaxy busters or have feats showing that.

IMO, all three of those examples would also be PLX characters, so you don't really need to stat it.

Return to “DC Adventures”