[2e] The Event: On The Scent[IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
mrdent12
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm

[2e] The Event: On The Scent[IC]

Postby mrdent12 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 pm

It is almost 11:30pm on Oct 31, 2015. You all were told to meet in the private meeting room of the capitol building of the Channel Island Republic, formerly known as The Inn on Mt. Ada and before that the Wrigley mansion, at 11:30pm. Upon arrival, you were shown to a room overlooking Avalon Harbor and the Halloween festivities below. Down in the harbor, all of the boats have their lights on for the time of mourning that has become the custom for the islands territories to celebrate the end of the world as it was. Along the wall is a table that has various drinks, sea food, fruits, and vegetables from the gardens outside of Avalon that are known to have some of the best fruit in the world. In the middle of the room is a coffee table, long lounge couch and four nice sitting chairs facing the window. Looking at the room, one would think nothing had changed. It looks exactly like the living room of the Inn before the event.
Last edited by mrdent12 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Raccoon City

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Allison Tailor
HP 1, Luck 3
CONDITION: Fine


Allison had just arrived at the Channel Island Republic's "capitol building". It was just yesterday that another birthday had passed; and the second year that she had her strange suit and had dumped her last boyfriend, but, above all, this day was infamous to her parent's murder by her maddened ex-boyfriend. Although she had detested Halloween ever since, it did not stop her from trying to figure out how things began.

After seeing the beautiful building, Allison, who happened to be in her costume to "show off", was in awe by how beautifully decorated the room was. Sure, she had seen better in her ex-boyfriend's mansion, but this was next on that list. After grabbing some shrimp from the table, Allison sat in one of the nice chairs and took a bite into one of the collected shrimp.
Image
SKYPE: X3r0.Kh4n

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby kenseido » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Alec Cole
HP: 1, LP: 2
Condition: Fine

Alec stood in his room waving his hands around. He was moving code - only visible to him - around as he tried to analyze the signal that had been causing him sleepless night for a while. Around him, half a dozen computers were reacting to him movements, running programs, processing files, and manipulating huge amounts of data.

-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP---BEEP-BEEP-BEEP---BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

A window pops up in front of his code reminding him of the meeting. He scrunches his face at the thought of another day of zero progress. He makes throwing motions as he triggers three separate decryption programs and two pattern matching programs - all of his own design - to work on the signal while he was at the meeting.

Shaking his head clear, he grabs his jacket and heads to the meeting.

-----

He walks into the meeting room and immediately heads over to the buffet. He gets so caught up in his work, he often forgets to eat, so the smell of all the food is a strong reminder that breakfast was over 12 hours ago. He fills up a plate with fruits and vegetables. The smell of the seafood is tempting, but he sticks with the vegetarian options. He sits down on the couch and places his food and drink on the coffee table. He is already chomping on some vegetables before he realizes anybody else is there.

"Hello," he mumbles out through a mouth full of food.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby Crazyivan777 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Innuendo
HP: 1, LP: 2
Condition: Normal

Appearing near the spread of food, Izzy was, at the time, a small girl in a rather generic-looking 'witch' costume, complete with Trick-Or-Treat bag. She looked curiously at the table, then shrugged, "No Milk Duds. I always liked Milk Duds. I think."

She then saw Allison and Alec, and walked over to sit on one of the chairs.

"Happy Halloween!"

User avatar
jemal
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby jemal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Jacie AKA Power Gamer
HP: 1 Luck: 4
Condition: fine

Jacie walked into the room and quickly surveyed the crowd. She wasn't first, which caused her to frown a bit. She recognized the hacker and gave him a slight nod as Dante picked up a wifi conversation with his peer. "Alec, hey, any luck with that signal yet?" To anybody else, Dante's radio signal would have been incomprehensible, but Alec was easily able to decode it.

Jacie's eyes scanned across the rest of the room - a young girl she didn't know, and.. a sentai warrior..
"See, Dante. THAT is armour. Notice how there's no fleshy bits sticking out screaming 'SHOOT ME HERE'? The stuff you put me in is fan service."
To anybody who didn't know better, it might've looked like she was talking to herself, but then a male voice answered seemingly from thin air "Hey, it works, so stop blaming me."
Jacie sighs and looks at the others "Hi, I'm Jacie. The invisible voice is my.. friend.. Dante."
Ken, hope you don't mind I figured 'CIA analyst hacker-turned super powered AI' might have some common ground with 'ex-section super-hacker' so they probly know each other having been on the island a little while.

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby kenseido » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Alec Cole
HP: 1, LP: 2
Condition: Fine

Alec grimaces at the mention of Milk Duds. So many of the techies in Section lived on junk food and highly caffeinated soda, leaving Alec the odd man out. The combination of all that crap always made their office smell, leaving Alec slightly nauseous.

He greets the AI, Dante, with a digital <hello> as he nods at Jacie at the same time.

<Not yet. Burke thinks it's just static, but I am unconvinced. Running some new algorithms on it right now.>

Alec could actually keep working on it while they waited, but he often missed important parts of briefings that way. So he would leave his programs to run on it until he was finished here. He finished the last of the fruit on his plate and got up to peruse the buffet one more time.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby Moira » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 am

ESHA
HP: 3
Condition: Unharmed
Status: Wallflower'd


Not content to disobey orders of the people who trained her, this was something Esha had to do. It was a private affair so no random yahoos, hopefully. Since it was Halloween she knew there was going to be some kind of dress up deal. She wasn't the one to go all out sh she kept it simple: on her shirt was a 'Hello, My Name Is' sticker with the name God in black marker. A fifteen year old pop culture reference, she thought with a sigh, I'm sure that'll kill. Still, so far there wasn't many here. One robot. One witch. One scantily clad girl. One... guy? Esha frowned. Silly idea aside, she could have not wasted half her day looking for the stupid sticker. Still there was a chair with her unwritten name on it. She was content to resign there until some real fireworks started.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

User avatar
jemal
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby jemal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:40 am

Moira wrote:on her shirt was a 'Hello, My Name Is' sticker with the name God in black marker. A fifteen year old pop culture reference, she thought with a sigh, I'm sure that'll kill.


Buffy quotes are never out-dated, and it'd actually be 16 years old. :p

User avatar
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Raccoon City

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:44 am

Allison Tailor
HP 1, Luck 3
CONDITION: Fine


"Hello to you both." Allison replied to the two before the others started coming in. Eventually, others started coming in. This was bound to get interesting once the meeting starts. That was when Allison took another bite out of another shrimp, leaving the tail on a small plate that she had grabbed earlier. "I wonder what the meeting is all about?" Allison said out loud, trying to start a conversation.
Image
SKYPE: X3r0.Kh4n

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

User avatar
Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby Aerlock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

Sean "Portal" Tairseach
HP: 1
CONDITION: Distracted

Sheet

A circle of blue and green lightning about a foot across appears in the middle of the room, about head height off the floor for a tall guy, turns around until it sees Esha, Alec, Jacie, Allison, and Innuendo sitting near each other. The circle of lightning then zooms close to the group and Sean's face can be seen in the circle. "Uh...hey guys. Umm...I totally spaced on the time. I'll be there in...umm...a few minutes. I need to...to ahh... finish up this equation and change then I'll be there." The circle then shrinks down and disappears like an old time CRT TV shutting off. The whole time he was talking he was obviously not paying full attention to who he was talking to. Those with particularly good hearing will hear the squeaks of rapid writing on a whiteboard.

About 15 minutes later the circle of lightning appears again. This time it spins around and checks above and below itself as well. Once this is completed two fingers appear through the portal, hook around the edges and the circle of lightning expands out to one big enough to admit a person.
Image
A figure steps through into the room and the circle of lightning does the TV Tube thing again behind it. The figure appears distracted and doesn't really notice the others in the room yet. It wanders over to the table, fills a plate with a single piece of all the fruits and vegetables, grabs a small stack of empty cups and proceeds to wander, still obviously distracted, over to the table with the others.

As he sits down Sean removes his mask and gloves, selects a strawberry and pops it into his mouth. At this point the others may notice his fingers are stained with whiteboard marker. "Hey guys, sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything?" He chews for a few more seconds then grabs one of the empty cups and, while turning his head away from everyone else, spits out a very chewed up strawberry. "You would think after two years I would be used to not being able to actually eat anything and no longer miss food. Sadly that's not the case. I still miss being able to drink drinks and actually swallow food."

Sean next grabs a carrot and pops that in his mouth. As he chews his eyes go unfocused and his jaw stops moving. This lasts about a minute then, "Oh, I just had a thought about that equation I was working on. I'll have to remember that when I get back to the lab." He gives his companions another look and actually seems to register them for the first time. "Nice costumes. I recognize what Innuendo is but what are the rest of you dressed up as?" he asks as he reaches for his cup and turns his head again.
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 am

Alec Cole
HP: 1, LP: 2
Condition: Fine

"I'm a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else."
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby Prof Weird » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Nerissa Hugyens
HP : 1
Condition : fashionably late (?)

Dr Nerissa Hugyens made sure to leave her boat's lights on (as per the new customs) before heading to a late-night meeting in the capitol building.

"It must be important." she thought to herself, "Why else would it be held at this hour ?"

Still wearing her familiar lab coat, grey blouse and jeans, she headed up to the building and went inside.

There were already many other people there.

A few years ago, she would've thought she was in the wrong room and carefully backed away; but now, since half the world's population had superpowers of some sort, she just quietly went over to the food and sampled everything available.

"Some powers are more obvious than others." she noted to herself as she piled up the seafood on her plate, "And there is quite a diverse set of them assembled here ! Promises to be an interesting evening, one way or another."
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

mrdent12
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby mrdent12 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm

A few minutes after the stroke of 11:30pm, a fit man in his 40’s wearing slacks and a buttoned down hawaiian shirt enters the room with a hiking backpack. Anyone who has been on the island would immediately recognize him as Edmound Monsconti. The hiking backpack serves as his briefcase for official purposes and also doubles as his hiking backpack. As a result, it has more than a few patches.

Edmound surveys the room for a moment before pulling out his laptop with a builtin holographic projector. “I am glad you all could make it. If I knew it was a costume party I would have come dressed up a little more.”. He smiles the sort of smile smile that immediately lightens up a room. His face turned serious. “What I am about to ask you all to do could very well save the world or at least give everyone answers for questions being asked for almost two years. As some of you may know, I have been running a secret lab on the island to figure out the source of all our unique gifts. So far, the brightest minds have failed to find answers while limited to the lab and our little republic.”, begins Edmound.

He waves his hand at the laptop and a holographic projection of a ring appears. Around the ring is 12 symbols that look like a 4 year olds random line drawings, except carved in gold on an impossibly white ring a foot in diameter. “This is where you all come in. The scientists wouldn’t last a minute in the field, but all of your gifts combined make you the perfect team to be field researchers. I would understand if you declined to help, but please hear me out first. A piece of this ring was found on a newly reopened oil drilling platform in the Irish Sea. Belinda was kind enough to alert me to the find. Research by a Dr. Eamus indicates that it might hold powers or in some way enhance people. Unfortunately, it is believed he died when UCSD was looted shortly after the burning of L.A”

Stopping for a moment to get a drink of water from a water bottle in the backpack, he continues. “Your mission would be to go to the oil rig and exam the object. Belinda is insistent it stay with her, so we are in need of a field team like yourselves to study the object. I know it is a long shot, but if it bears any usable leads to the source of the powers in the world it will be more than the lab has produced in two years.” He ruffles through his backpack again and pulls out a case with earbuds. “If you want to help, you can use these communicators that operate on an encrypted frequency only a few in the world can crack. All you need to do to accept is to take an earbud.”

“I can only give you a minute or two to decide or ask any questions. I don’t have much time because I need to get down the harbor. Judith insists that I join her for the mourning event and it would look suspicious if I was taking meetings on such an occasion. Time is also of the essence here because we do not know who else might be looking for this ring. Just last night the rig was attacked by people dressed as the Vikings of Old, but clearly were not. Upon your arrival Belinda will fill you in on what they know so far. The new supersonic helicopter we just developed is at your disposal in the courtyard for whoever volunteers.” Finally finished, Edmound makes his way over to the food table, grabs a handful of grapes, and takes a seat near the window overlooking the harbor.

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Alec Cole
HP: 1, LP: 2
Condition: Fine

Alec simply reaches over and grabs an earbud without saying a word.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
jemal
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: [2e] The Event: The Hunt Begins [IC]

Postby jemal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Jacie AKA Power Gamer
HP: 1 Luck: 4
Condition: determined
kenseido wrote:"I'm a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else."

Jacie giggled a bit at the joke before Ed entered.

After the rundown, Jacie had a quick mental conversation with Dante, and stepped forward. "We've got two questions."
"Does anybody else know about it?" Dante questioned while Jacie took the ear bud
"And can I get a turn at the stick?"


Return to “M&M Game Room”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests