Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Nitro, Mr. Jip, American Eagle, Alchemy, A

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks. You rule.

Mmm mm. The Vision. First the Mighty Destroyer and now The Vision. Wow. Any chance of seeing the Blazing Skull or Blue Diamond? No big deal if they're not in your plans. I was just wondering.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

mageofthesands wrote:Got to admit. When I saw this, I was just as surprised that Angar hasn't been stated yet. Dude still pops up from time to time when a hero is recalling a time in the past, and fighting some jobber. Angar, Stilt-Man, Unus... It's usually one of these three. Or Batroc, but Batroc is legit.

So... Alchemy. Did he go the way of Charcoal? As in, removed from the Marvel Universe because the fan still wants to retain copyright?

I stated both Angar, and Alchemy. :)

Skavenger
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Skavenger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:Hey Jab....while commenting on another build by Tattooedman, it struck me that nobody and I do mean nobody has ever done a build of the Thor villain, Mangog.

Not Magog....Mangog!

And since you've been cool enough to come through on some obscure requests before (Gladiator...Melvin Potts, not the Superman expy, and Nebulon the Celestial Man), I figured if anyone would be willing to give this forgotten villain some love...it'd be you. A Thor level jobber, how can you resist?

Heh, yeah, I can probably build him. He'd fit right in to the gap between Marvel Random Guys builds and the Slingers.

Sweet and sweet. I love when Jab is able to scrape deeper into the bottom of the barrel like this for characters. I mean, the only thing Angar will ever be famous for anymore is "that lucky guy who used to sleep with Melissa Gold."

And if Mangog is getting stated, it gives me hope for Kurse, the only guy I know of who managed to job to Thor, Beta Ray Bill, and Power Pack. Seeing his stats pre- and post-Beyonder power increase would be interesting.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Well, Thorpacolypse has done a build of Kurse and of Malekith as well. That's the nice thing about our compulsive builders, often they cover the gaps in each others' portfolios. I was mildly surprised not to see a build in Kreuzritter's thread, but I knew somebody had to have done Kurse already and Thorp didn't let me down.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 pm

I remember I was thinking of Kurse for my Asgardian builds, but I couldn't figure out what the hell his powers or level were. Plus it's been so variable over time, it makes him hard to pin down.

The Blazing Skull is on this very list already, but for some reason, I thought I HAD built Blue Diamond. Maybe I built another guy with his powers? I'll have to check.

I'd call Angar lucky, but he only got to hook up with SCREAMING MIMI Melissa Gold. The Fixer/Techno actually changed everyone's appearances when they joined the T-Bolts, so he hooked up with a different-looking chick in a MUCH worse costume. Still lucky, but ya know, less lucky than Mach-V.

Joshua: You statted Alchemy? I'll have to check that one out. I'd never heard of the guy.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 pm

THE BOGEYMAN (Douglas Carmody)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & June Brigman
First Appearance: Power Pack #2 (Sept. 1984)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Squishy Slime & Mist"
Insubstantial 3 (15) -- [16]
    AE: Insubstantial 1 (5)
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Claws" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutants)- Carmody despises mutants, and his bigotry causes him to see the Power Pack kids as mutants, causing him to hunt them.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 4 (112)

-Carmody was a corrupt businessman and bigot who was sent to Limbo by Illyana Rasputin during a New Mutant/Power Pack team-up. This turned out for the worst, because after being chewed on by the demon N'Astirh, he gained super-powers and went on a killing spree. He kidnapped the Powers' parents (revealing the kids' identities to them in the process), but fell into a giant pit of fire in the streets of New York (this would probably be during "Inferno"). These are pretty much his only two appearances, and he remains a minor guy who only showed up in "Power Pack".

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 pm

KILLRAVEN (Jonathan Raven)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Neal Adams
First Appearance: Amazing Adventures #18 (May 1973)
Role: Forgotten Hero, Rebel Leader
PL 10 (185)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (History) 11 (+14)
Expertise (Art) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 11 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 4 (+14)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 3 (Sword, Shuriken), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 3 (Sword, Unarmed, Shuriken), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Takedown, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Projected Consciousness" Mind Control 6 (Flaws: Limited to Martians) [18]
Concealment 5 (All Senses) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) [5]
"Mental Guard" Enhanced Will Save 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Mental Assaults) [1]

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 4) (8)
"Shuriken" Blast 2 (Diminished Range -1) (3)
"Bulletproof Fabric & Leather" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 3) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Mind Control -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Shuriken +14 (+2 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5 (+7 Leather), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Freeing Earth)- Earth has been taken over by Martians- Killraven seeks to fight back the occupying forces.
Relationship (The Rebellion)
Enemy (Deathraven)- Killraven's brother has become a lupine, wolf-controlling enemy.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 34 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 16 (185)

-Killraven was created by a mish-mash of guys, with Neal Adams doing only the first 11 pages of his debut, and two different scripters (Gerry Conway & Marv Wolfman) handling the plot in three issues (Conway the first two, Wolfman the second). Writer Don McGregor took over between #21 & #39, producing an "acclaimed run" (this means it has a Doom Patrol Fanbase in Wiki-speak). "Killraven" is the story of Jonathan Raven, a human who tries to fight back against Martian oppression in the far future of Earth. He leads a band of warriors in rebellion (it featured comics' first non-comedic interracial kiss). Later writers apparently enjoyed it enough to try and make crossovers or descendants (Grant Morrison on Ravage, Jim Valentino on Guardians of the Galaxy- Franklin Richards was gonna be Killraven's dad!), but things didn't work out for whatever reason. A Robert Kirkman/Rob Liefeld project also never got off the ground- the dude has worse like than friggin' Rom. He's got all these writers in love with the idea, and yet the only single time I've EVER seen him was in an alternate future in "Avengers Forever"! There was a "Wisdom" Limited Series I've never heard of that featured a young version occupying the mainstream Marvel Earth, though.

-Killraven is a gladiator, and goes all Spartacus on the Martians, who are the same species as the H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" Martians, who took over Earth in 2001 and eat infants as a delicacy. He has boosted physical stats thanks to an injection of experimental chemicals, as well as psionic powers. I figure him for a really strong Conan-esque guy, making PL 10 handily- he's a ways beyond your typical Rebel Leader types from fantasy realms.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: American Eagle, Alchemy, Angar, Killraven

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 pm

I remember Marvel's "War of the World's" series. I picked up an issue with Adams at the artistic helm I believe. I remember the cover being very "Gil Kane"-esque and a scene in the book where some sort of collaborator/overseer type was making an enslaved earthman lick the mud off his boots. I always liked this character by concept, but never really read alot of stuff he was in.

I do remember thinking the concept seemed more like something Kane would lend his talents to as opposed to Adams.

That's it for the nostalgia...it's making my head hurt.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:58 am

Killraven (one l or two?) reminded me of two other obscure out of cannon Marvel series. I checked and I'm surprised, but it looks like you haven't covered them yet: N, The Last Man and Space Trucker. Maybe I'm just missing them?

Thanks!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:32 am

I can find no evidence of someone named "Space Trucker" existing, nor "N: The Last Man", though Razorback was a mainstream (well, sorta) hero with a trucking gimmick. Like, they appear NOWHERE on any site I can find.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:36 am

Space Trucker is probably US Archer, he was the subject of a Marvel comic based on a line of toy trucks IIRC.

The story is that US Archer was a trucker who had a metal plate in his head that picked up CB radios, and a hopped up super truck. After some adventures, he was approached by a group of aliens to become a space trucker, and so he moved his family to an asteroid diner on a major spaceway and became a space trucker.

She Hulk met them once, they fought Xemnu the titan.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks, I'll look again. I may have the names close to being right but not quite.

While I've never read the comics, I have an odd collection of comics about comics.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 am

Jabroniville wrote:I can find no evidence of someone named "Space Trucker" existing, nor "N: The Last Man", though Razorback was a mainstream (well, sorta) hero with a trucking gimmick. Like, they appear NOWHERE on any site I can find.

The closest thing to N: The Last Man I can think of is Y: The Last Man.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:26 am

he's probably thinking of Nth Man: The Ultimate Ninja, which was basicly Larry Hama's take on Akira, and US archer's series was US 1
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 am

Got a chance to do the research sooner than I expected..

Crinos- you were right! (Thank you!) I was thinking of Ulysses Solomon Archer- the space trucker. I was able to find him on Wikipedia as a reference to Razorback- another odd obscure character.

N: The Last Man must be an (pseudo)Amalgam comics merger between Y: The Last Man and Nth Man: The Ultimate Ninja.

Thanks to all that helped!

Return to “Roll Call”