Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Jab's Builds: Tiana, Dr. Facilier, Ariel, Eric, Sebastia

Postby danelsan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Of course, I can't let this topic go without posting Adam Hughes' art nouveau version of Ariel, a picture called "Not So Little Mermaid"
In his words: "Another example of me damaging the Disney Princesses. If this bothers you, don't look at my Tinkerbell" :lol:

My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I want to see his Tinkerbelle. :twisted:
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

I'd rather meet the living models from whom he draws these wonderful ladies of his! 8)

(or his Aurora - I must admit that Sleeping Beauty has long been a personal favourite and seeing Miss Sarah Bolger cast in the role has not diminished that attitude in the least, more the opposite).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:I want to see his Tinkerbelle. :twisted:

For tink, he says: "I always assume when someone askes ME to draw a beloved Disney character, they are not looking for a drawing that sticks to the model sheets..."

Anyway, his gorgeous version of Tinkerbell has the bust to go with the bottom

I know I'm not a professional by any means, but still, for someone who likes to draw, it is a bit humiliating that he calls that a sketch :lol:
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank you Danelsan.

By the way, a pic of a friend's bloody mary in New Orleans reminded me of something about Sebastian. Lobster's aren't red when they're alive. They're brown and green or maybe blue (like 1 in 1000). They only turn red after they've been steamed.

Sebastian must have gotten into some hot water.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Ah, Adam Hughes. His ladies always seem to be suffering from some delightful cases of selective gigantism :). And clothes that fit improperly.

AFoolIsYou
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AFoolIsYou » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am

danelsan wrote:Of course, I can't let this topic go without posting Adam Hughes' art nouveau version of Ariel, a picture called "Not So Little Mermaid"
In his words: "Another example of me damaging the Disney Princesses. If this bothers you, don't look at my Tinkerbell" :lol:

...I...I don't...Bu...

danelsan wrote:
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:I want to see his Tinkerbelle. :twisted:

For tink, he says: "I always assume when someone askes ME to draw a beloved Disney character, they are not looking for a drawing that sticks to the model sheets..."

Anyway, his gorgeous version of Tinkerbell has the bust to go with the bottom

I know I'm not a professional by any means, but still, for someone who likes to draw, it is a bit humiliating that he calls that a sketch :lol:

Heart: Hey man, hows it doing?
Le Me: Its...ah...not going so good man...
Penis: Hey guys! whats happe-JESUS CHRIST!
...I stared into the void, and it gave me a red bull, some candy, Dead or Alive 5 and told me to F@#% off...

"...A Cup of Awesome killed The Event Horizon..."
-Sips, Yogscast.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 am

I actually love this drawing Kreuzritter showed me a couple years ago, that we've both since used for builds- an age-reversed "Little Mermaid", with Ariel as a skinny, drawn-out Sea Witch, and Ursula as a curvy cutie. Of course, it makes the classic "Mermaid Problem" a little more... problematic:

P.S. that pic probably sticks to more than just model sheets now :).

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 am

If you want to cross the bridge, my sweet
You've got the pay the toll
Take a gulp and take a breath
And go ahead and sign the scroll!
(Flotsam, Jetsam, now I've GOT 'er, boys)
THE BOSS IS ON A ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!
THIS POOR! UN-FORRRRTUNATE SOUL!!!"
-Ursula, demonstrating how a Villain Song is SUPPOSED to be done

URSULA
Played by:
Pat Carroll
Role: The Big Bad, Sea Witch, Manipulator
Most Villainous Moment: Has kept hundreds of sentient beings in horrible polyptistic servitude for years.
PL 7 (128)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 12 (+15)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Artificer, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 3 (Magical Cabinets & Junk), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
Comprehend 2 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Marine Fauna) [2]

"Cephalomaid Physiology"
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Swimming 4 (8 mph) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]

"Cephalopod Lower Body"
"Six Arms" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Unarmed Reach 1 [1]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Ursula does everything just for power, and the ability to control others. She seeks out Ariel specifically because she's the daughter of King Triton, and so she can make an even BIGGER deal.
Enemy (King Triton)- Triton banished the Sea Witch ages ago, and she thirsts for revenge.
Relationship ("BABIES!")- Ursula is actually quite attached to Flotsam and Jetsam. Their deaths by her hands force her even further over the edge.
Reputation ("They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a WITCH")- Most people in Atlantica know of Ursula and her dark ways.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (128)

-Ursula was TERRIFIC. Like Maleficent, she takes up a huge amount of the plot, despite very little screen time- the mark of an excellent villain. She would overwhelm the entire movie had Ariel & Eric not been interesting, along with the Sidekick characters. Ursula was based largely off of the crossdresser Divine, and portrayed by Howard Ashman (the brilliant composer of many Disney tunes who died of AIDS in 1991) to a large extent, from whom the actress basically copied his movements and vocal style- particularly bits like "Life is FULL of tough choices, innit?" Her disgusting, corpulent appearance just sets off the whole thing- instead of being this slinky, feminine character, she's gross on almost every level, taking cephalopod characteristics instead of those of pretty little fish, she's purple instead of caucasian, she's fat, she wears too much make-up, her hair's short and ratty instead of flowing all '80s-style, etc. Just sickening to watch, but so fascinating to look at- a GREAT design overall.

-AND THAT SONG!! "Poor Unfortunate Souls" could easily pass for the best Disney Villain Song if not for it's tremendous competition- instead it's a toss-up. But she's just so CONNIVING and sinister at the same time. You KNOW you can't trust her, but you could buy how a dumb lovestruck 16-year old would sign the scroll. The ham-fisted delivery completes it- that whole moment is utterly fantastic.

-Ursula isn't overly powerful at first, despite being very hard to hurt (she barely reacts when Triton blasts her against a rock). Like a lot of magician-types, she's limited to making deals and getting people to willingly turn themselves over. She's just REALLY smart and very good at manipulating the desperate- it's presumably alot easier to pull of a Transform to Polyp Affliction if they sign the contract themselves.

URSULA WITH TRITON'S POWER
Played by:
Pat Carroll
Role: The Big Bad, Sea Witch, Manipulator
Most Villainous Moment: Has kept hundreds of sentient beings in horrible polyptistic servitude for years.
PL 14 (211)
STRENGTH
5/14 STAMINA 6/15 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 12 (+15)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Artificer, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 3 (Magical Cabinets & Junk), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
Comprehend 2 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Marine Fauna) [2]

"Cephalomaid Physiology"
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Swimming 4 (8 mph) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]

"Cephalopod Lower Body"
"Six Arms" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Unarmed Reach 1 [1]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

"The Trident of King Triton" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [83]
"Water-World" Environment (Impede Movement) 4 (2 ranks, 250ft. Radius) (8)
"Maelstrom" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (70) -- (78)
    AE: Blast 16 (32)
    AE: "Super-Bolt" Damage 14 (Extras: 120ft. Line +3) (56)
    AE: "Water Torrents" Move Object 16 (32)
    AE: "Mass Drowning" Affliction 14 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (56)
    AE: "Forced Drowning" Affliction 14 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (28)
    AE: "Water Control" Move Object 16 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (32)
    AE: Variable 10 (70)
    AE: "Giant Tentacle" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (36)
"Permanent Transformations" Affliction 6 (Transformed) (Extras: Continuous +3, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Maximum Degree) (24)

"Gigantic Size"
Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, -9 Stealth) (18)
Growth +9 (+18 Mass, +9 Intimidation, +2 Speed, -18 Stealth) -- (144 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-STR & STA Growths) (9)
-- (137 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Giant Size +7 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Blast +8 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Forced Drowning +8 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Area Damage +14 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Mass Drowning +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +7
"Giant Size" Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +16, Fortitude +15, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Ursula does everything just for power, and the ability to control others. She seeks out Ariel specifically because she's the daughter of King Triton, and so she can make an even BIGGER deal.
Enemy (King Triton)- Triton banished the Sea Witch ages ago, and she thirsts for revenge.
Relationship ("BABIES!")- Ursula is actually quite attached to Flotsam and Jetsam. Their deaths by her hands force her even further over the edge.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 103 / Defenses: 10 (211)

-In her Giant-Size Triton's Weapon Godly-Powered Form, Ursula becomes head and shoulders more powerful than almost any other Disney Villain. Such is her might that she turns the skies dark, sets off massive torrents of water, raises several sunken ships basically by accident (this bites her in the plus-sized butt later), blows the crap out of stuff, and would probably have taken over the entire ocean (and surface world) had Prince Eric not made one hell of a Sailing Skill Check and rammed the front of a sunken ship through her stomach, sending her colossal carcass sinking to the bottom of the ocean. And MAN what a death scene- blowing up and sending sparks and crap everywhere.

-With Triton's weapon, you realize just how rational the King really was- with such power, he could have done ANYTHING. Ursula has unstoppable power in this form, and her only flaw is that despite being PL 14 on offense (area attacks only- she's PL 11 unarmed and with her Blast), once she grows she's only PL 9.5 on defense (thanks to the drawbacks of Growth), which means that just about anything can hit her.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Dr. Facilier, Ariel, Eric, Sebastian, Ursu

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 pm

The Emperor's New Groove (2000):
Written by:
Mark Dindal, Chris Williams & David Reynolds

This one had a fabulously-awful production process, with a "Prince and the Pauper" story being written by one guy, and a comedy film being written by another. When the first, also the director of "The Lion King" quit over being forced to shorten his timeline, things looked to be a disaster. Instead, they completely re-did the entire film, dropping the "lookalike peasant" plot thread and a subplot about the sun being stolen (initial movie names: "The Kingdom of the/in the Sun"- it's a little odd anyways that a DISNEY FILM took a name from a movie that was ten years old and known pretty much only for an older chick boinking a younger guy). They even dumped a bunch of songs written by Sting, who wanted to pull a Phil Collins and gain some sales/cred from the association with a Disney product (he was VERY bitter about this).

In the end, we got a Buddy Movie with a ton of Aladdin-esque Modern Pop Culture gags and genre-savvy stuff. This was the PERFECT time for such a thing, as many of it's cartoon contemporaries were becoming more self-referential all the time ("Kim Possible" came out not so long after), but not to the point where ALL cartoons were like that (like, say, today, where nearly every cartoon is a self-referential pop culture gag-fest written by 40-something nerds). It ended up being pretty popular, and it's considered one of the funnier Disney movies- I haven't seen it in an eternity and found it rather "blah", but I couldn't tell you a thing about it. It didn't do overly well in theatres (this was the end of the Renaissance and after a HUGE series of disappointing films by this point), but didn't bomb or anything. There's apparently a REALLY good documentary out there that essentially explains why Disney willingly gave it's "Feature Animation" crown to Pixar & Dreamworks in the late '90s- executive incompetence, cluelessness about what the public wanted, and lack of trust in it's artists to produce a real vision (a strong case of "What Could Have Been").

It did okay but not too great ("Chicken Little" made MUCH more), and got it's own TV series for some reason, which I never found amusing in the slightest. Just not my kinda thing.

EMPEROR KUZCO
Played by:
David Spade
Role: Dumb King
PL 2 (21)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 2 (+1)
Expertise (Busting a Move) 4 (+3)
Perception 1 (+0)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Emperor)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision) [2]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 1 [1]

"Desert Animals" Immunity 2 (Thirst, Heat) (Flaws: Limited to Half Effect) [1]

"Camelid Spit" Dazzle Visuals 1 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Spit +3 (+1 Ranged Affliction, DC 11)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Obsession (Kuzco)- It's all about Kuzco.
Disabled (Animal)- As a llama, Kuzco cannot use his hooves to easily manipulate objects. Also, he has trouble using his Benefit (Emperor) Advantage, since people know their Emperor is not actually a llama.
Enemy (Yzma)- After firing the sorceress Yzma, Kuzco finds his life in danger.
Responsibility (Dick)- Kuzco is casually-dismissive of everybody, and a bit of a moron. This causes him some trouble, especially when he needs allies.
Phobia (Frogs)- An incident as a child traumatized Kuzco.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 5 (21)

-Kuzco is basically a big dumb jerk right at the beginning, being casually-dismissive of others and unwilling to compromise- he fires his employee Yzma, and offends Pacha, the movie's other hero, necessitating a Buddy Movie as they learn to appreciate each other. As a general idiot, Kuzco has some less-than-impressive stats, and gains more from being a Llama than he ever would as a human being (though Llamas can be quite strong, Kuzco's Llama form is about as big as a scrawny teenager so he's not overly tough). He's portrayed by David Spade, and thus you can figure out pretty much every aspect of his character right away, since Spade has Michael Cera-levels of range as an actor. He does, of course, play a self-important douchebag VERY WELL.

PACHA
Played by:
John Goodman
Role: The Nice Guy
PL 3 (33)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+3)
Expertise (Llama Herder) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Village Leader) 4 (+5)
Perception 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Benefit (Village Leader), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Village Leader)- Pacha is in charge of his village, and so it's his job to convince the Emperor not to build Kuztopia over top of it.
Relationship (Family)- Pacha has a wife and three children.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (33)

-When you need a good "Everyman" actor, you call John Goodman. Despite being very good at playing scary brawlers, his jovial appearance is reflected in his voice, and so he's a classic "Straight Man" to idiots like Kuzco, or snarky bitches like Roseanne Arnold. And so he was a good Buddy to Kuzco, teaching him the meaning of friendship and stuff. Oddly, Goodman actually reappeared in the TV series during it's second season, apparently not being "too good" for TV adaptations the way most celebrities are for this kind of thing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: The Little Mermaid, Eric, Ursula, Kuzco

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am

Of course John Goodman could also have taken a play out of Sean Connery's playbook when it came to that "appearance". Basically, when asked about compromising his "artistic integrity" for doing Highlander 2: The Quickening, Connery replied (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he "never met a paycheck he didn't like".

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 pm

YZMA
Played by:
Eartha Kitt
Role: Disney Villain, Evil Sorceress
PL 6 (84)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Royalty/Government) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Singing) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Emperor's Assistant), Equipment 3 (Knife +1, Lab), Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Array of Potions" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [30]
Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Defenseless/Transformed to Animal) (Extras: Continuous +3, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (49)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Knife +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Potions +2 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Yzma has been the power behind the Emperor's throne for years, and seeks to murder Kuzco to gain full power.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 2 (84)

-The late Eartha Kitt was known as a seductress in the olden days (and had the difficult position of trying to replace JULIE NEWMAR as Catwoman), but is most well-known these days for being a seductively-voiced old lady who plays Crazy Old Lady characters. Yzma is sort of like a combination of the Wicked Queen of "Snow White" with Cruella de Vil, taking the emaciated appearance of an old lady and merging it with the wildness of a Las Vegas showgirl. She's a mad scientist instead of a sorceress, but takes on most of the same Tropes, including potions that transform people. Wild and over-the-top, Yzma & Kronk are probably the most well-remembered parts of the movie. She earns Potions as a Power because why the hell not? It's either that or Equipment, and that's a bit... esoteric, for Equipment.

KRONK PEPIKRANKENITZ
Played by:
Patrick Warburton
Role: Henchman, Villain With An "F" in Evil
PL 6 (63)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Expertise (Cooking) 9 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Cooking Utensils), Fast Grab

Powers:
"Cartoonish Speed" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Speak Squirelese" Comprehend 2 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Squirrels) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Yzma's Helper)- Kronk is Yzma's personal errand boy and minion, though he often rankles under her leadership.
Responsibility (Conscience)- Angel & Devil Kronk's sit astride his shoulders and weigh on in his decisions. Problem is, both are crazy.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (63)

-ah, Patrick Warburton- every animator's wet dream for a voice actor. Seriously, the guy has been EVERYWHERE in animation, with his trademark baritone supplying great deadpan roles both for idiots (Kronk), bad-asses (Brock Samson, a guy in "Archer") and stern authority figures (Coach Barkin on "Kim Possible"). Pretty good for a guy I first saw in the Generic-as-Hell Sitcom "Dave's World" and "Seinfeld". He plays Kronk up as your standard stupid henchman who's actually a good guy (sorta like Cindarr in the '80s cartoon "Visionairies"), and gets plenty of "Big Stupid Guy" jokes as a result. He proved popular enough that he got the animated SEQUEL named after him ("Kronk's New Groove"), so he's a bit of a break-out character. This film actually had a lot of recurring stuff for what was only a minor hit.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm

There's a handful of Disney movies out there that really defy statistical analysis. Some are more basic goofiness, and some are just collections of shorts.

Saludos Amigos (1943)
The Three Caballeros (1945)
Make Mine Music (1946)
Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
Melody Time (1948)

-These are the World War II-era films that Disney had to settle for after the war cut their funding and most people's access to movie theatres. I've never seen a damn one of them, to be honest, because Disney seems hesitant to re-release any of them, and they appear in about zero of the advertising. Hell, even in DISNEYLAND you won't find any merch related to these films. The most I know about them is that the Parrot from "Three Caballeros" ended up becoming a super-popular character in Brazil, gaining an ongoing comic book series that portrays him as one of the elite Disney Canon characters- thank you, TV Tropes.

Alice In Wonderland (1951):
This is a famously-nutty movie, giving motivation to millions of psychedelic drug-users the world over. Which makes it all the funnier that it disappointed critics & audiences when it first came out. But just think of how weird this movie is TODAY and consider that they were barely out of World War II at the time. Basically it's a type of "Adventure Movie" where the adventures are less dangerous circumstances (mostly) and more "HOLY HELL CHECK OUT ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF GOING ON!!!" as Alice meets all these insane, conniving characters, the Cheshire Cat (who's basically a Trickster who screws with Alice for the hell of it), and the insane Queen of Hearts, who has a dramatic case of Bipolar Disorder. Y'can't really STAT UP any of this nonsense- it's just a weird film.

The Aristocats (1970):
BLEH. A movie all about jazz music and basically being the exact same thing as "101 Dalmatians" but with a butler trying to kill them instead of an interesting villain that owns the film. Every part of this feels like a retread (complete with Phil Harris doing his Baloo/Little John voice), and it's very weak.

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (1977):
Okay, every kid loved this series of shorts (at least the ones I knew). They're so successful that they pretty much effortlessly became the ONLY Pooh (heh heh) related stuff that ANYONE remembers, unless they know a great deal out of the weirdly-drawn children's stories about a Canadian soldier's bear ("A Part of Our Heritage" indeed) and how it ruined the life of Christopher Robin Milne. You can actually determine a lot about a person by which Pooh (hee hee) characters they most respond to- Pooh is more genuinely friendly and a slave to his addictions like your classic happy, fat glutton. Rabbit is a crabby grouch who loves to complain (you can immediately guess which one is my favourite :)). Eeyore is suicidally-depressed, and is virtually the ICONIC "Gloomy Character". Piglet is a cowardly crybaby. Tigger is a catchphrase-spouting annoyance. Then there's the whistling, cheerful Gopher, the intellectual braggart Owl, generic mother-figure Kanga and cute toy-bait Roo. Really, it's a massively-iconic collection of kids' characters, which is why it's been so popular over the years. There's been a long-running cartoon series, a couple other movies (one of them CGI), etc.

Chicken Little (2005):
I refuse to see this. It looks like a piece of crap. It doesn't help that it's widely considered to be one of the WORST films of the entire Animated Canon, and a sign of just how far Disney had fallen at the time. It did very well at the box office (after all, it was a CGI film when they were GUARANTEED to earn a profit- it made about the same amount that "Bolt" did four years later, despite one being MUCH more well-received amongst critics and audiences), but ultimately proved that Disney really did need Pixar after all- a good part of why this film was made was so that they could prove they "didn't need" Pixar to produce animated hits, since they were on the outs with John Lasseter's outfit at the time. After this film did good, but not as much as Pixar's stuff, Disney bought out Pixar and hired on Lasseter as their Chief Creative Officer.

Bolt (2008):
A CGI movie that makes several attempts at Pixar- the serious moments, the sad bits, and the quirky concept (a dog that's the star of a TV show that thinks the show is real stuff). I found it pretty mediocre save for some great bits with the hamster ("DESTINY'S calling... will you ACCEPT THE CHARGES??"). Sort of a shot at "Weak Pixar". You could probably just use my stats for Dogs, Rats & Cats for the main characters.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Jab's Builds: The Little Mermaid, Ursula, Kuzco, Yzma, K

Postby prodigyduck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

"Why do we even HAVE that lever?"
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.

Return to “Roll Call”