Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Astro City, Double Dragon, Abobo

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 pm

While not adding to the character list, I highly recommend Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy. The first is essentially a pilot for the latter web series (albeit different in tone, Rebirth being essentially a realistic take while Legacy starts amping the fantasy aspect after the first three episodes). Very nice characterization and I think the martial arts are better than the movies. Both can be found for free on YouTube.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 pm

"I AM the chosen one... alright?"

LIU KANG
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Subsequent Games: MK II, MK 3, MK 4, MK: Deception, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011 (all but MK: Deadly Alliance)
Role: The Hero, The Ryu (ie. Well-Balanced Fighter), Bruce Lee Klone
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletiks 5 (+8)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 11 (+12)
Expertise (Arkane Lore) 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 4 (+16)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Kombat (Fireball) 5 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed 2), Improved Kritical (Fireball), Improved Kritical (Bicycle Kick), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Kunning Fighter (Attack Bonus to Feint), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown

Powers:
"Dragon Fire" Blast 4 (Diminished Range -1) (7) -- [8]
    AE: "Bicycle Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (3)
Features 2: Uses Tons of New Moves as Finishing Attacks [2]
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Dances While a Disco Ball Spins)
"Friendship!!" (Makes a Shadow Puppet of the MK Dragon Logo)
"Animality: Transforms to Dragon & Bites Enemy in Half"
"Uppercuts Him and Leaves Him Alive"
"Burns Alive" (lots of forms of this- fireball, burning touch, etc.)
"Squashes With Arcade Machine"
"Possesses Enemy and has them Rip Off Their Own Head"
"Throw Into the Air & Blow Up"
"Punches Off Head & Ninja-Kicks It as an Explosive Into The Headless Corpse"
"Tears Off Arms and Beats Opponent to Death With Them"
"Head-Squashing Hand-Clap"
"Exploding Punch"
"Foot Stomp Through Stomach"
"Breaks All Limbs & Neck"
"Punches a Hole Through Stomach"

Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dragon Fire +13 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Komplications:
Responsibility (Earth's Champion)- Liu Kang won the first four Mortal Kombat tournaments of the modern era- it is up to him to defeat Shao Kahn and his minions.
Responsibility (Shaolin Monk)- Monks are forbidden from committing murder, but by Mortal Kombat II, Liu would kill guys just like anyone else, because he's now a "renegade", not beholden to all Monk-ish beliefs.
Relationship (Princess Kitana)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 18 (140)

-The first of my Mortal Kombat builds is the most generic of them all. Even back THEN, fighting game developers had few original ideas about who the main character should be, so they stuck the most generic, boring-looking and easy-to-play-as fellow in the game as the main guy (ie. he who the plot would revolve around, have tons of friends allied only to him, and would get the "he won the last tournament" blurb in sequels). Think of Street Fighter's Ryu, Virtua Fighter's Akira, Fatal Fury's Andy (okay Terry is the more main character, and is more stand-out), Art of Fighting's Ryo, Toshinden's Eiji, etc.

-A totally by-the-book monk, Liu Kang is a Bruce Lee copy, with standard high-pitched wails, squeals, and rapid-attack moves. A few games in, the developers callously killed him off and returned him as an evil zombie under villain control, but fan backlash was pretty big (probably). It didn't help that every Mortal Kombat game after MKII was considered pretty forgettable (in my own biased opinion based off of the opinions of others, of course :)), and we were just mollified by the big Fatalities and brutal moves and blood. He was eventually brought back, and he's once again The Hero of Mortal Kombat.

-I actually liked Liu a lot better in the movie, where he was portrayed as a fighter who bailed on his clan to go to America, only to witness his brother's death (via a supernatural dream) because HE got stuck with the whole "Defender of Earthrealm" tag when Liu wussed out. Possessed with guilt, and now wanting sweet, bloody revenge, Liu Kang "Chosen One'd" his ass into beating the hell out of Shang Tsung and winning Mortal Kombat.

-A standard martial artist build, with a Fireball and Multiattack move thrown in- Liu Kang is set up as a PL 9.5 fighter of some repute, able to handle most "Street Fighter" characters on his own (he's explicitly the greatest fighter in the first four Mortal Kombat tournaments), and fits Shang-Chi levels as a warrior (though has less Advantages or Skills). Kang is fast and accurate, and can modify most of his caps, making him a dangerous opponent.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am, edited 7 times in total.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: Jab's Builds: Double Dragon, MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Ah, Mortal Kombat. Kool...

I look forward to the builds, but also want to see if you kan keep up the k for c puns throughout the entire run. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 pm

I was gonna keep it up through all of the kommentaries and preamble as well, but I decided to leave it just for the builds, lest it bekome distrakting :).

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Funnily enough I was playing Mortal Kombat 2011 for the first time today at a friend's house. I don't normally like fighting games, but that was kinda fun and those x-ray moves are seriously brutal. Looking forward to this run.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:While not adding to the character list, I highly recommend Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy. The first is essentially a pilot for the latter web series (albeit different in tone, Rebirth being essentially a realistic take while Legacy starts amping the fantasy aspect after the first three episodes). Very nice characterization and I think the martial arts are better than the movies. Both can be found for free on YouTube.

I agree, while some people consider it to be unfaithful to the style of the game I think that they nailed it. Heck, Ed Boon himself commended the creatoers for nailing it.

If anybody want to watch it, this is the playlist.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Only a TRUE egomaniac would tattoo HIS OWN NAME onto his chest. Well done, Johnny Cage... well done.

JOHNNY CAGE (John Carlton)
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Subsequent Games: MK II, MK 3 (Trilogy only), MK 4, MK: DA, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011 (all but Deception & MK 3)
Role: The Reggie Mantle of the Mortal Kombat Universe, The Sidekick, Actor-Hero
PL 9 (115)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletiks 4 (+7)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Aktor) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Ranged Kombat (Fireball/Orbs) 5 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fascination (Deception), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Fireball/Orbs" Blast 3 (Diminished Range -1) (5) -- [7]
    AE: "Split Punch To The Balls" Affliktion 4 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Immobile) (Extras: Extra Kondition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Males) (4)
    AE: "Shadow Kick" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Speed 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Small Bursts) (2)
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Gives an Autographed Picture)
"Animality: Kangaroo Kicks Foe Off-Screen"
"Deadly Uppercut- Decapitates Foe"
"Triple Punch Decapitation- Decapitates Opponent Three (!!) Times"
"Tears Off The Torso"
"Torso Kicking Off"
"Backbuster- Explodes on a Backbreaker"
"Pulls Out Enemy's Brain"
"Super Split Punch- Punches A Guy's Nuts So Hard He Explodes"
"Heads Up- Decapitation + Torso Rip"
"Chops Head in Half- Puts Photo Between the Halves"

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Shadow Kick +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Split Punch +13 (+4 Affliktion, DC 14)
Fireball/Orbs +11 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Komplications:
Reputation (Actor/Fraud)- A lot of people disrespect Cage because of his history as an actor- in the movies, he's convinced by a Shapeshifted Shang Tsung (who wants to gather more souls) that people consider him a fraud, and so he's out to kick some ass to prove his worth.
Relationship (Sonya Blade)- He's got the hots for the blonde ass-kicker.
Responsibility (Ego)- He signs everything "To My Biggest Fan!"

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 16 (115)

-Johnny Cage was the least-popular of all the MK characters to my group, and I think many others as well- his design was a bit plain, and his arrogance didn't play off well, despite him being based off of Jean-Claude Van Damme (the initial MK game initially WAS gonna be a Van Damme-based game, too- Cage was actually the first guy created for the games). But they movie made him awesome, giving him almost all of the best lines ("I'm in a place where every single person probably wants to kick my ass- it's like being back in high school!" and "Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole" are the best), several funny scenes, made him a butt-monkey, but THEN had him punch Goro square in the balls, then send him falling to his death- JOHNNY CAGE TOOK OUT THE MOST BAD-ASS CHARACTER. And who knows how big he would've been if the original choice to play him, Brandon Lee, hadn't died.

-After that, his stock could only go up- he was missing from Mortal Kombat 3 (partially because the actor playing him, Daniel Pesina, appeared in-character on a "BloodStorm" arcade cabinet design to show off the new game, and was thus fired for talking crap on his original game), but his iconic nature and the film brought him back by its later iterations, and he hasn't been missing since. Despite that, he's died the most times in the game series (he was killed by Motaro before MK 3, and was resurrected by Raiden to continue fighting).

-Johnny is a good example of a slightly lower-end fighter, making up one full PL lower than Liu Kang does, while still being an elite fighter.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm

"Hello, baby. Did you miss me?" (to Sonya)

KANO
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Subsequent Games: MK 3, MK: DA, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011
Role: Sub-Bad Guy, Crime Boss
PL 9 (144)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletiks 4 (+7)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Kriminal) 9 (+11)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment (Knife), Fascination (Deception), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 8, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
"Eye Laser" Blast 4 (8) -- [10]
    AE: "Kannonball" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Leaping 1 (2)
    AE: "Psycho Kannonball" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Leaping 1 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Split) (6)
"Red Eye" Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]

"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Blows a Bubble)
"Animality: Tarantula Squishes Enemy's Guts Out"
"Heart Rip"
"Deadly Roundhouse- Neck Break"
"Eye Laser- Boils Alive"
"Pulls Out The Entire Skeleton Teeth-First"
"Organ Donor: Pulls Out All the Organs"
"Pulls Out The Heart, Then Tears Off The Head & Puts It In The Hole"
"Stabs To Death"

Equipment:
"Knife Toss" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 4) (Diminished Range -1) (4) -- (5)
    AE: "Blade Swipe" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Kritical) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knife +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Kannonball +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Knife Toss +13 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Eye Laser +13 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Komplications:
Motivation (Greed & Survival)- Kano was a crimeboss for years, and when Outworld invaded Earth, he sold out his own race and realm to Shao Kahn for his own personal survival. Kano is pure scum.
Enemy (Sonya Blade & Jax Briggs)- Kano murdered Sonya's partner, and is hunted by her as a result. He also hates Jax for pounding the side of his face to a useless pulp (necessitating the eye-patch).
Responsibility (Video Game Villain)- He appears in the support group in "Wreck-It Ralph".

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 13 (144)

-Kano is a generic thug with a red eye in the first Mortal Kombat game (early designs were of an eyepatched twin-katana wielder, then later with a large helmet), given to create some minor-character subplot with The Chick, Sonya Blade. By the time the movie rolled around, they needed a thug to get killed, so they made this hilariously entertaining, douchebaggy Kano from the original, crazy/super-serious guy, and made a much better character out of him, as none of the MK crowd seemed to have a sense of humor (besides Johnny Cage). It led to a pretty decent fight where he kicked around Sonya, until she snapped his neck between her ankles (not possible in real life, by the way- because you know this game is a stickler for realistic depictions of violence).

-The Australian version in the movie led to him being a much better-recieved character (sadly, his actor Trevor Goddard died of a drug overdose years ago, but not before making Kano's Aussie accent iconic), but his Mortal Kombat 3 revision (he & Sonya were absent from MKII for memory reasons, and deemed uninteresting) was back to the old 'super-serious' Kano, this time bald and in a '90s-style black leather outfit rather than his baggy Salvation Army-bought gi/military thing that he wore in the original cheapie version.

-Kano's one of the most expensive guys thanks to having a more well-rounded Skillset thanks to his criminal background, and he's a little more lethal than Johnny Cage. He can fire lasers from his eyes, see in the dark, and throw his blade at the same time (which is redundant with his laser, but whatever). He gets Blast for the Knife Throw instead of Thrown Strike, because he can just keep whipping 'em out.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: MORTAL KOMBAT!!!- Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, K

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 am

ImageImage

SONYA BLADE
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Subsequent Games: MK 3, MK 4, MK: DA, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011
Role: The Chick, Special Forces Chick
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+15)
Athletiks 5 (+7)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Special Agent) 8 (+11)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+15)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment (Special Forces Gear), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Kritical (Kartwheel) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Kiss" Dazzle Visuals 6 (Diminished Range -1) (11) -- [14]
    AE: "Energy Ring" Blast 4 (8)
    AE: "Inverted Bicycle Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 2) (2)
    AE: "Kartwheel/Flying Kick" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Does Excercises)
"Friendship!!" (Salute, Causing Flowers to Grow)
"Animality: Giant Hawk Slices Apart Enemy"
"Flame Kiss- Burns Alive"
"Crush Kiss- Crushes With Orb"
"Slice Kiss- Blows Up Torso"
"Toxic Kiss- They Vomit and She Crushes Their Head"
"Scissor Split- Rips Body Apart With Her Legs- ie. the way to die for nerds"
"Airborne Blade- Neck Snap"
"Kut-Throat- Garrote Wire Decapitation"

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Energy Ring +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Kiss +12 (+6 Ranged Affliktion, DC 16)
Karthweel/Flying Kick +14 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Komplications:
Enemy (Kano)- Kano murdered her partner, and Sonya's been out for blood for years.
Responsibility (Earthrealm)- Sonya is one of Raiden's chosen defenders of Earthrealm against Shao Kahn's forces.
Relationship (Jax)- Purely professional, Sonya and her superior are close confidants.
Responsibility (Hawtness)- Though Sonya doesn't use her looks to her advantage, she is hot enough that she often draws undue attention from supervillainous types. Her arch-nemesis flirts with her, and Shang Tsung will put her into a Sexy Slave-Girl Dress the second he gets the chance.
Reputation (Prude)- Sonya is the most prudish woman in the Mortal Kombat universe. At her skimpiest, she only shows FIFTY PERCENT of her breasts! Can you imagine?

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 11 (155)

-What is it with Fighting Games and making The Token Chick a Special Agent? Seriously, there's Chun-Li starting the whole thing, then you have Sonya Blade, Nina Williams (Tekken), Sarah Bryant (Virtua Fighter)... they're even mostly blonde! I suppose it's their way to make every possible female character a "Strong Female Role Model" (tm), because after all, you know that girls REQUIRE Strong Female Role Models to look up to, and it's the job of all media to provide them. Though it's probably just them all ripping off Chun-Li & Sonya, who hereself was inspired by real-life martial artist/actress Cynthia Rothrock. Sonya was the original sex appeal in the first game, and got the same job in MK3 as well (she took a backseat in MKII for the new chicks, so they could become bigger characters out of her shadow). Her job as a government agent usually leads to her being a major good guy in every game, usually hunting down Kano, or whoever they got to replace Kano by the later games.

-In the movie, she was pretty entertaining as the grouchy chick, and it was hilarious how despite her martial arts prowess, she was effortlessly kidnapped by Shang Tsung utilizing the "Standard Female Grab Area" on her arm and just dragging her away to be rescued by the heroes. At least she got to kill Kano halfway through, and even though MK: Annihilation was a piece of garbage, she got to kill THREE people, dishing out Cyrax, Mileena and Ermac (seriously, everyone else got big wins in that movie's climax, and she finished off ERMAC?). She was played by a different actress in each movie, a sure sign of crappy budgeting/directing/producing.

-Sonya barely makes PL 8.5 like a lot of the cast, but makes up for it by spending alot more points on Skills & Advantages, making her a more well-rounded kombatant in a lot of ways. And lest anyone judge me for not giving such a blatantly-hot woman the Attractive Advantage, keep in mind that Sonya is in no way the type of woman who would flirt her way to anything, or even bluff her way through things all that often. Hell, for Sonya, her idea of hitting on someone is go punch them in the face (if you find that hot, you are a sick and disturbed human being... just like me :)).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 am

"Hey, so have you seen my opponent, yet?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Think he's any good?"
"..... Nah. You'll be fine, Disposable Black Guy."
"My name is Art."
"Right."

ART THE DEAD BLACK GUY (Art Lean)
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat (the movie)
Role: The Black Dude Who Dies First
PL 6 (67)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletiks 4 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+6)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Trip

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Komplications:
Responsibility (Black Guy)- He is black, in a world where people often die. His days are numbered.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (67)

-oh, poor Art. He was an original character of the first "Mortal Kombat" film, and was designed to basically befriend the group in the "WTF is going on in this crazy tournament?" happenings, then got to be the first guy to take on Goro. It... didn't go well. My friend and I thought he should've gotten to at least be in an MK video game, even as a secret or Joke Character, because c'mon, poor guy totally got the shaft. Art is actually pretty decent, at least better than a Kommon Mook, but he's still nothing compared to a PL 9-10 Martial Artist, and would lose to anyone who actually made a full Mortal Kombat Video Game Appearance.

MORTAL MOOK
Role:
Mooks
Group Affiliations: None
PL 5 (46)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (The Martial Arts) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Equipment (Spear +2- Reach), Improved Kritical (Spear), Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Spear +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (46)

-These Masked Buttholes showed up in the Mortal Kombat movie to fight off Liu Kang & Friends, and went down in droves, but they're still pretty tough. One guy even got picked to challenge Sub-Zero, who basically started glowing and froze the dude solid in mid-air, resulting in him shattering into a million pieces on the ground. Seriously, I see that crap, I am UNIONIZING SO FAST...

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 am

Building guys from a video game series (especially a Fighting Game) and translating them into M&M stats produces some odd things, and often requires some altering of the basics- despite both being based around a Combat System, the aspects of both just don't translate over.

Some observations (now that I've built a few guys, and have a few more ready to post):

* A huge part of Fighting Games is the existence of moves with "Priority" over other moves (ie. you can use a jump kick on a guy doing his Fireball for a certain number of frames, and different guys have different #s of frames), split-second timing, blocking, reversals, anti-air defense, Hit-Boxes (ie. how much of the area in and around a fighter is vulnerable to attack- Street Fighter IV actually had to put animation-style Hit Boxes in because the whole "if you touch the sprite, you hit the guy" thing common to 3-D fighters just DIDN'T WORK with the Capcom Fighting System). Very little of this translates into a system based mostly off of Attack & Toughness rolls, with a little bit of feinting thrown in, and each character getting one chance to hit per round.
* Kombos: Vastly important to all fighting games, in that quick, light attacks set up bigger moves. And of course M&M has no such system (aside from hoping that highly-damaging attacks can leave a guy more open to attack later). I like to assume that cases of Power Attack and greater damage rolls come from Kombos instead of just the same old attack.

* Another big one: If an attack in a Fighting Game hits, it does damage. Period. The same amount every single time, in fact. Sub-Zero's Freeze will freeze you EVERY TIME IT HITS, with no real "Save" being offered. This doesn't translate well into M&M, which is based around Toughness & other saves. Similarly, there's no Life Bar- you can be One-Hit KO'd immediately if you biff your save badly enough. You kinda just have to ignore stuff like that, as it's completely game-warping (a Freeze hit will basically end an M&M game otherwise).

* Energy Weapons and other Special Moves: These tend to be highly powerful in Comic Books (and in Movies based off of Fighting Games- a Hadouken or Lightning Leg are nearly always fight-enders), yet are only a bit tougher than regular attacks in Fighting Games. The issue is always to balance this out- in the media you could justify doing +10 Damage with such attacks, but to more accurately translate the games, these attacks are only doing +4 to +6 Damage most of the time. You kind of have to find the balance you like. With lighter attacks, they can be more accurate, which I think fits the Martial Artist concept. And anyways, given how the system tends to lean towards high-damage & toughness guys doing the best in fights, there'd be little reason NOT to use your most powerful attacks all the time if you could hit +10.
* And in any case, Power Attack can alter a lot. A +5 Fireball can easily turn into a +10 Super-Hero Class attack with a little Power thrown in. That's why pretty much all Martial Artist/Fighting Game builds I have will include Power Attack.

* Where to place guys on the Tiers of Power Levels is quite tricky. In the actual Fighting Games, characters jump up and down tiers with each update to the Arcade Cabinet (if you're old like I am and remember such things being a big deal), sequel or Downloadable Content (to you newfangled whippersnappers). Minor-league characters unimportant to the story can become Top Tier in one game, and Joke Characters the next, with certain characters becoming legendary for their effectiveness in certain games- Super Street Fighter II had Sagat in the God Tier (as some have said: "SAGAT isn't God Tier. GOD is SAGAT Tier"), whereas Mortal Kombat II had Jax & Mileena as the uncontested best characters. Tiers are too variable to really go by sometimes.
* Add to that the Boss Characters who become Standard Fighters the next. Gaia in "Toshinden" went from the nigh-unstoppable Boss in one game, and was merely a highly-powerful regular guy in the sequel, and so did Shang Tsung in "Mortal Kombat II", not to mention all the Secret Characters who went from Super-Fast Cheesemasters (Reptile, Smoke, Noob, Jade) into Regular Joes in MK 3. It's like they go from PL 11 to PL 9 overnight.
* I think the best thing to do is place them given their "fluff" to an extent. Liu Kang is objectively the best fighter in Earthrealm, having canonically won four straight Mortal Kombats, including defeating Goro, Shang Tsung & Shao Kahn themselves (By contrast, Ryu has a lot more competition in Street Fighter, as it's unclear whether he's really much better than Ken, Chun-Li or Guile, not to mention half the supporting cast is also awesome, non-jokey fighters). Certain popular, recurring characters should also be relatively-powerful, enough to beat Liu. Characters who show up in only one or two games obviously made little "mark" on the games, and thus don't deserve really high PLs- they just don't merit it given how little importance they seemed to have to the overall plot (I mean, you gonna give Rain equal stats to Scorpion?). Bosses should be tough, but within reach of the heroes- since they DID canonically lose to them several times.
* Though going exclusively by "fluff" can be troubling- "DarkStalkers" is a good example- Pyron is virtually treated as a Cosmic Being, able to destroy the Earth. This makes him like PL 16-20 overall, yet if you play the game, you are perfectly capable of defeating him by playing a half-nude Catgirl or a rock-playing Zombie. You've got to balance "Fluff Characteristics" with "Playability".
* Doing otherwise would produce some crazy results- MK II practically had most guys at PL 8-ish, Mileena at PL 10-11, and Kintaro/Shao Kahn at PL 13!! When Stryker proved unpopular in MK 3, he was given a huge Scrappy-Inducing boost in power, thus becoming a top-tier guy, before basically vanishing into the franchise till MK 2011, too. Similarly, some games go nuts with the "fluff".

* Also, I find it funny that one of the few fighting games where you could explicitly KILL AND MAIM ALL OF YOUR OPPONENTS, is a series with over *40* recurring fighters who show up in game after game after game.

What's everyone else think?

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 am

I think that when I read your subject line, I hear it in my head with the theme music, the one guy shouting the name of the game and then the deep voiced guy systemically reciting the names.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Jab's Builds: MORTAL KOMBAT!!!- Liu Kang, Cage, Kano, So

Postby scc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

You conversion method seems sound. I really like the builds. Looking forward to seeing Goro among others. Just started playing Mugen again and using these characters. Brings back memories. You aren't the only old poster on the Thinktank. You plan on doing any more fighting games? Like King of Fighters, Darkstalkers, etc.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:35 pm

KOF is one I sorta planned a long while ago, but I was hesitant to get into a list of some 80-odd guys. Now that I'm pretty much almost out of Marvel guys to build, I'll probably get to it eventually :). And oddly, I never played much DarkStalkers- the closest arcade shut down when I was in Middle School and so I never got to play the arcades much, and I was well into 3-D fighters when I had my PlayStation, and got out of most fighting games with the PS2, so I've maybe played the monster-fighter a handful of times. I could still do it, however- just watching YouTube is pretty effective research for some guys.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 pm

JAX (Major Jackson Briggs)
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat II
Subsequent Games: MK 3, MK 4, MK: DA, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011 (all but Deception)
Role: Bad-Ass Black Guy, Powerhouse
PL 9 (160)
STRENGTH
4/5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+12)
Athletiks 5 (+9)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Special Agent) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 7 (+12)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 3 (Special Forces Gear, Machine Gun), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown

Powers:
"Cybernetic Arm Pistons" Enhanced Strength 1 [2]

"Ground Pound" Damage 3 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) Linked to Affliktion 6 (Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (11) -- [15]
    AE: "Energy Wave/Missile" Blast 4 (Feats: Variable Descriptor- Sonics or Ballistics) (9)
    AE: "Gotcha Grab/Multi-Slam" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Grab-Based) (2.5)
    AE: "Dash Punch" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Speed 2 (Flaws: Limited to Short Bursts) (2)
    AE: "Blinding Light" Dazzle Visuals 5 (Feats: Reach 3) (Flaws: Touch Range) (8)
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Makes Paper Dolls)
"Friendship!!" (Skips Rope)
"Animality: Lion Mauls The Enemy to Pieces"
"Head Clap- Skooshes Head"
"Tears Their Arms Off"
"Slams Them To Explosion"
"Grows To Giant Size & Squashes Them"
"Turns Arms To Swords & Hacks Enemy Apart"
"Smashes Head With Foot"
"Machine Guns Them Away"
"Kicks Head Off"

Equipment:
"Machine Gun" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Energy Wave/Missile/Machine Gun +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Blinding Light +12 (+5 Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Ground Pound +3-6 Area (+3 Damage & +6 Affliktion, DC 18 & 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Komplications:
Enemy (Kano)- Jax & Sonya have hunted Kano for years.
Responsibility (Earthrealm)- Jax is one of Raiden's chosen defenders of Earthrealm against Shao Kahn's forces.
Relationship (Sonya)- Purely professional, Jax & Sonya are close confidants.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 14 (160)

-Jax effectively replaces Sonya in MK II, and adds a black dude to the franchise at the same time. And of course he is COMPLETELY bad-ass, looking like a ripped bodybuilder in a cast full of standard athletic builds, hammering the ground, and squashing fools' heads between his hands. Fun fact: He was originally going to be called Kurtis Stryker, a name which later went to an MK 3 character, and was going to be in the first game until they needed a chick and put Sonya in his place. AND he was going to be a standard black kickboxer, but similarities to numerous Capcom characters (Balrog, Dee Jay, Sagat), led them down another path- he was gonna have metal hands, too, but they dropped that, until...

-MK 3 gives him a permanent upgrade with rad CYBERNETIC ARMS complete with bad-ass weapons inside them (just in case you didn't think the game could get any more '90s), too. MK 2011 eventually revealed that he got the cyber-arms because Ermac had telekinetically-shredded his limbs. What I remember most about Jax was his semi-legendary status in MK II- along with Mileena, he was one of the best overall characters in the game. GamePro in fact rated them #1 and 2, with Jax only falling behind because while he was stronger against more foes, Mileena had a big advantage over HIM.

-He makes a short cameo in the first movie, setting up the second (a different actor, of course), where he builds the cyber-arms, and gets dressed down by Raiden for it (cuz HOW DARE YOU CHEAT during a fight against a Cosmic God and his army of Ninjas). He of course realizes he doesn't need them at movie's end, and beats the crap out of Motaro bare-handed, LIKE A BOSS. Just because that wasn't awesome enough, he also killed Noob Saibot earlier.

-Jax ends up being very expensive and well-rounded thanks to the fact that he's a Scientific Genius (he helped make an Outworld-Bound Teleporter and rebuilt Cyrax), has an expensive Damaging/Afflikting Burst attack, and he can attack in multiple ways. Jax is a full-on PL 9, and would beat the hell out of most of the cast by virtue of his enhanced Strength.

Return to “Roll Call”