Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Charles & Royal, Supersonic, The Silver Ag

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:10 am

Superheroic costumes make a certain bit of sense when you consider that they're supposed to be easy to move around in (like Batgirl III said- gymnasts use the lycra/spandex/skintight sexy fabric/whatever as well)- which is quite good for a martial artist who someone who's supposed to be avoiding gunfire a lot.

That's why I get annoyed by the "well if the costumes are supposed to be useful and true-to-life, THEY'D ALL BE WEARING ARMOR AND PADDING", but really a lot of guys wouldn't. That crap is HEAVY, it makes it difficult to move around, and no amount of bulletproof vests are going to make you ACTUALLY bulletproof 100%, much less able to take Electro's full power to the chest. And keep in mind that everyone who's played Batman points out how IMPOSSIBLE it is to move around in those bulky costumes. Most cops actually wear about 20 lbs. worth of crap on them, and they've said that it makes things VERY hard when you're trying to wrestle a guy to the ground without hurting him- there's a reason all legit MMA guys now wear short trunks instead of full gi or whatever (someone with the right martial art will KILL YOU if you give him something like that to grab). Ergo: Sexy tights also work :).

Now, said tights shouldn't be super-skimpy or give the guy something to grab, either, but even Psylocke's outfit would work okay for a fighter (it's basically the same outfit as an Olympic Gymnast- complete with wedgie-effect on the back- but with long boots). The Bat-people outfits work rather well, in that they have sci-fi armor in addition to full ranges of movement.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 am

Plus in comics, most of the Bat-clan have a kind of sci-fi-kevlar weave, so that it's skintight, light, easy to move in and mostly bulletproof. There's no reason for them to wear bulky armor in a world where you can have spandex thick body armor.

Another aspect of the costumes is that they're suppose to be something you can wear under your street clothes. You couldn't possibly fit any of of the film Batman costumes under normal clothing, given how bulky they are.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 am

THE PALE HORSEMAN
First Appearance:
Astro City: The Dark Age- Book Four #2 (April 2010)
Created By: Kurt Busiek, Brent Anderson & Alex Ross
Role: Otherworldly Killer
PL 11 (253)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+11)
Intimidation 10 (+14)
Perception 6 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Death Blast) 4 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Improved Critical (Death Blast) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Sidekick 24 (Flying Horse), Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Demonic Entity"
Immunity 40 (Fortitude, Mental Effects) [40]
Protection 10 [10]

"Creature of Hellfire"
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]
Flame Aura 6 [24]

"I Smell TRANSGRESSION!" Senses 8 (Detect Sins- Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Postcognition) (Flaws: Postcognition Limited to Past Sins) [6]

"Death Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Split 2) Linked to Weaken Stamina 10 (Feats: Split 2) (Extras: Ranged) (44) -- [45]
    AE: "Death Touch" Damage 11 Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Flame Aura +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Death Touch +11 (+11 Weaken & Damage, DC 21 & 26)
Death Blast +12 (+10 Ranged Weaken & Damage, DC 20 & 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Punishing Sinners)- The Pale Horseman flies throughout Astro City, killing all those who commit acts of sin.
Responsibility (All Crimes Are Equal)- Murder people? DIE! Kill criminals? DIE! Steal shopping carts at thirteen years old? DIE DIE DIE!!

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 38 / Powers: 135 / Defenses: 14 (253)

SKELETAL HORSE
Role:
Dark Mount
PL 9 (119)- Minion Rank 8, Sidekick Rank 24
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+10)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+5 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Uses Strength instead of Presence for Intimidation Checks), Improved Critical (Hooves), Power Attack

Powers:
"Undead Monster" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Bag of Bones" Immunity 10 (Piercing Damage, Cold Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Protection 8 [8]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Flame Aura 5 [20]

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Flame Aura +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Horses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 18 (119)

-This guy shows up in the final "Book" of The Dark Age, and is essentially some sort of hell-born "I'll kill ALL SINNERS" guy that sorta reflects Ghost Rider and a few other supernatural guys, but I think he's generally a commentary on Image-style heroes. Note that people are kinda into him at first when he's offing criminals, but they kinda draw the line when he wipes out a group of pre-teens for the minor sin of stealing shopping carts (I mean, they COULDA been Nickelback fans, but the comic doesn't SAY that so you can't assume it). He also looks TOTALLY RAD, being all "on fire" and stuff, along with his creepy invisible-ish body with the mummy-cloth wrapped around him and the skull face and the flaming skeletal steed and junk. Because Alex Ross is just bitching sometimes.

-He's pretty clearly tough as hell, though not so much that The Street Angel can't hurt him a little in melee (though he withstood being thrown halway across Astro City by Aubrey Jason)- though again he's another guy you've just kinda gotta "wing it" with. For all I know he could be a PL 14 Super-God (he brawled with Jason, who as Lord Sovereign was dangerously-close to Exodus/Bullrog-level "I have lots and lots of powers" syndrome).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:56 am

And that does it for Astro City! It's a great series with an ENORMOUS cast, always tantalizingly giving us a tiny hint or speck of characterization here or there. 90% of these Builds here could easily be ignored or altered with a single appearance of a character- half of this stuff is mere conjecture! But a fun group to stat nonetheless. Next up: A couple sets of characters from some of the popular video games of my childhood.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Jab's Builds: Supersonic, Silver Agent, The Pale Horsema

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:02 am

Tragically, due to Alex Ross's instisting that he will only work with live models, fourteen horses had to give their live to bring you this comic. :wink:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Jab's Builds: Junkman, Mock Turtle, Jitterjack, Williams

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Yeah, Christopher Reeve looked so ridiculous in Superman in 1978. There's no way they'd reuse that same costume in three sequels and a television show.

But Dean Cain looked awesome, for 4 whole seasons. When it comes to design, you must compliment your own shape. Reeve's looked ridiculous in Superman in 1978 because he didn't have the body for the costume. Not to mention that the costume used the wrong kind of materials.

I was being sarcastic. They did reuse the costume in three sequels and the "Adventures of Superboy" TV show. And I didn't find Reeve ridiculous. Actually he had spent several months working out and bulking up so he would have the body for the costume.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 pm

DOUBLE DRAGON:

Double Dragon was a pretty sweet game back in the day- Me and everyone I knew played the 1988 Nintendo version. One of the very first of the "Beat 'Em Up" genre, it has the standard plotline of "They kidnapped my girlfriend, so let's you and me go and beat down their asses, one by one". You played either Billy or Jimmy Lee (just Billy on the NES), strolling through Black Warriors territory to beat up a bunch of punks to save the girl. There are four levels: The City Slum, a Factory, The Woods, and Machine Gun Willy's Hide-Out, and at the end, you and a buddy can then fight it out to see who gets the girl (which is AWESOME). The game was semi-broken (weapons were AMAZINGLY powerful and threw off the whole balance of combat), very hard, very long (one stage just goes on FOREVER), and had very cheap enemies who liked to double and triple-team you. All things defining of the great years of Nintendo in the mid-80s :).

The Arcade Version was SIGNIFICANTLY nicer-looking than the Nintendo version that I was familiar with as a kid (I had NO IDEA what the boss/Giant Mook Abobo was supposed to actually look like as a result, and got a shock looking at YouTube clips), and featured co-op combat, while the NES version uses Jimmy Lee as the main antagonist. Also, only three characters could be on-screen at once, and both enemies had to be the same guy. There was also a one-on-one fighting version (yes, a Fighting Game for the NES), where you could fight a mirror image of your own guy. The Sega Master System version allowed a massive THREE enemies on-screen at a time (ah, the old days), and looked prettier, but I knew exactly one kid with a Master System, and even he didn't play it.

This game was a HUGE hit with my friends and I, and was a big hit overall, judging by the sheer amount of sequels to come out of it. None of them ever attained the notoriety of the original, however- most people still remember the first, with all it's Abobo Goodness. It is for this reason that there have been approximately one billion remakes over the years, hitting even the current Generation of consoles (and iPhones and junk) with their downloadable stuff.

"Double Dragon II: The Revenge":
-This game actually features poor Marian getting stuffed into the refridgerator in THE OPENING SEQUENCE, which is CRAZY. Now you're the Lee Brothers out for REVENGE, and it's a retread of the first game for the most part, using the same engine and everything, though there's new artwork throughout. Once again, there's four levels and Willy is the Final Boss- I don't think I ever played this one- I was mostly renting Ninja Turtles stuff from the local place at this point. At least the NES version allowed co-op play this time around, and they even brought Marian back out of the fridge at the end! Both the Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) & PC Engine (no idea) released versions, with the former one sucking hard because of poor coding (thank you Wikipedia).

"Battletoads/Double Dragon- The Ultimate Team":
-An insane merger of two games from two different companies, they basically stuck Billy & Jimmy Lee into the Battletoads world. This game actually gets a lot of respect (even more than any other game in the series, as far as I can tell), and was well-reviewed for it's time. I'm not sure if I ever played it- Battletoads games are WAY too hard for me to have ever gotten far, so it's possible I blocked it out of my mind due to the intense shame. Seriously, watch people playing Battletoads on YouTube some time- it's a testament to the human spirit's ability to overcome ANY horror.

"Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone":
-The third DD game is basically a "Treasure Hunt" Worldwide Macguffin Search concept, and allows for three players- a third can play "Sonny", a yellow palette-swap of the Lee Brothers. Players can purchase (ie. actually put more coins into the game) new weapons, techniques, and even characters- holy crap, did World of Warcraft steal their money-grabbing ideas from Double Dragon III? Sadly, this game apparently sucked ass, and didn't get a wide distribution- by this point, Capcom had released the FAR superior "Final Fight" series, which took a giant diarrhetic crap all over "Double Dragon" as a series, and these ancient-looking graphics totally didn't hold up.

The NES version allowed you to beat bosses and control them as characters later on, which I thought was awesome. I only played the Genesis version of the game once at my brother's friend's house, and there was some damn platform stage that resulted in my dying like a hundred times because of hard-to-do jumps (something I hold against a game in terms of balance- it wasn't hard because of stuff being in the way- it was just hard to actually JUMP PROPERLY, PERIOD).

"Super Double Dragon":
-The fourth game came out for the Super Nintendo in 1992- like MANY game series that started with the NES era, it gained a "Super" prefix instead of sticking with the old "numbered sequel" bit. The graphics are better, but it's essentially another seven-stage ass-whupping like the series always is. By this point, people had mostly written "Double Dragon" off as an old relic of a prior era.

"Double Dragon V- The Shadow Falls":
-With the fifth, they actually switched genres from the then-tired Beat 'Em Up genre. See, by 1994, the biggest games on the market were the "Street Fighter II" series, and the "Mortal Kombat" series. SNK was also doing quite bitching work with "Fatal Fury", "King of Fighters" and "Samurai Shodown". In other words, fighting games were THE SHIT in this time period, and soon you had every company worth a dime (and some that weren't) jumping on the Fighter Bandwagon, pumping out the new fad in gaming- Fighting Games had almost replaced Action Platformers as the "default" type of generic game, resulting in varied, sometimes-good/sometimes-crap stuff like TMNT Tournament Fighters, Clayfighter, Eternal Champions, Brutal- Paws of Fury and this game. And so Double Dragon V came to be a 2-D 16-bit Fighting Game, released for the current systems (Super NES, Sega Genesis- later Atari Jaguar, because y'know those "64-bit" graphics totally did justice to this game).

Was the game good? Oh no- it was basically your everyday generic fighter that was just thrown together- some interesting character designs, but most everyone looked like a big puffy Roid Monster with generic designs and no interesting stuff about them. I wouldn't say it was BAD, but I only rented it once and it certainly didn't impress overly much. Keep in mind that while Fighting Games were ridiculously common and generic, it was REALLY goddamn clear that only a few companies could make awesome ones, and the fans noticed. The "Best Platformer" award was never as easy to give out as the "Best Fighter" was- it was Capcom or SNK, and that was that.

Altogether, there were Billy & Jimmy Lee, eight other fighters, and two Bosses, making for a solid roster of 12 guys (about normal for most second-tier Fighting Games). You basically had Billy (the Good Son), Jimmy (the Bad Son who was raised to be a Shadow Warrior and was thus the more reckless one), Shadow Master (end-boss with teleporting & shadow powers), Dominique (dominatrix-type sub-boss, which was actually pretty unusual- sub-bosses were usually monsters), Jawbreaker (big dumb eater), Icepick (computer guy with a sword), Bones (rock & roll skeleton, predating Lord Raptor of "DarkStalkers"), Sickle (generic bad guy with the obvious weapons), Blade (cyborg based off of the generic Mooks in the cartoon), Trigger Happy (brutish blaster), Countdown (cyborg with rockets & lasers) and Sekka (lady cyborg with Wolverine Claws). Altogether a pretty generic roster of guys, most of whom were villains.

"Double Dragon 6-1":
-This is a Neo-Geo Fighting Game with HORRIBLE graphics (came out a year after V, too), and it was basically completely forgotten to history, being washed over by the huge glut in fighters around this time. The roster is even more generic than "V"- It's Billy & Jimmy, plus Marian & Abobo from the original games, then Amon (ninja), Dulton (stupid-looking punker), Burnov (big fat Big Van Vader knock-off), Rebecca (hot girl with tonfas), Cheng-Fu (drunken-boxing fighter), Eddie (generic black guy), Duke (assassin) and Koga Shuko (evil wizard/dictator Bison knock-off)... basically FightersGeneration.com shows the msot generic looking roster I've ever seen, with 90% of the characters looking like they're wearing regular street clothes instead of anything resembling fighting gear. There was another SNK fighting game that was supposed to get the license, but the deal fell through and it was turned into an "homage" instead. At least it's graphics were better.

And the series ended with a whimper after that- Technos went out of business soon after. To this day, people still remember "Double Dragon", though ("Double Dragon Neon" is coming out for X-Box Live as a reimagining)- hell, it got both a cartoon series (one I don't remember at ALL, and even at that age I would still know just about any good cartoon on TV) AND a live-action feature film (which is a piece of crap most notable for having Alyssa Milano and that guy from "Party of Five" in it before that show got popular), both of which sucked utter balls as well. Really, this game series being so memorable and well-thought-of is odd, considering the sheer amount of CRAP attached to it over the years. I think it's failed more times than it's succeeded, actually.

-So for my Builds, these are partly re-dos of my 2nd Edition stuff, but with a longer preamble and some modifications. A "Double Dragon" campaign is mostly a lower-level PL 8 adventure against Street Level foes and mooks. The Brothers themselves are PL 8 (120) competitors, though they can go past their caps by picking up the disposable, easily-losable weapons littered around the gameworld (see below). I'll only be building the characters from the first game, because after all- that's the only one people really remember. Everyone else is too utterly generic and bad to be bothered with.

Weapons:
"Steel Bat" Strength-Damage +3
"Whip" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 2)
"Knife" Strength-Damage +2 or Blast 6 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Diminished Range -1) (one use if thrown)
"Dynamite Stick" Blast 6 (Diminished Range -2) (one use)
"Boxes/Rocks/Oil Drums" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -2) (one use)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

"Oh snap it's the guy from Party of Five RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

BILLY & JIMMY LEE
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Created By: Yoshihisa Kishimoto
Role: The Heroes, Rival Twins
PL 8 (120)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improvised Weapon, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Marian)- Both brothers love Marian, and her continual kidnappings and/or murders at the hands of the Shadow Warriors often leaves them going on super-rampages through the gritty wastelands of the world for revenge.
Enemy (Machine Gun Willy)
Responsibility (Protecting Hometown)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 15 (120)

-The Lee Brothers (because they're supposed to be a 2-Player team, not enemies like in the 1-Player NES version) are an elite fighting duo, each one a well-balanced PL 8 (120) melee fighter with a few handy Skills, but mostly lots of Combat Advantages and accuracy to win the day. They're good at Disarming foes, teaming up, and can modify most of their caps, but don't have the best grappling skills (someone like Abobo or Chintai will just toss them off with ease).

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 pm

It always amazed me how a Double Dragon movie should have been impossible to screw up. You've got a game about two kickass martial artists who have to rescue a kidnapped loved one by beating up everyone between themselves and her. That's basically the plot of 'Commando', only you'd be doing it with martial arts instead of guns. Get a pair of guys who can fight and play off each other well, maybe throw in something about the Lee brothers kept their neighborhood crime free, which lead to the criminal organization that runs the town kidnapping Marian to get them under control, only to then have them basically go take out the entire criminal organization by traveling throughout the city and basically punching every criminal they find. Maybe have Jimmy get tempted and pretend to turn evil so we can have a staged fight between the two brothers, but it shouldn't be that hard to make a decent martial arts film about this game.

Instead, it's a post apocalyptic dystopian future with magic amulets, Robert Patrick looking like evil corporate Vanilla Ice, two guys who aren't even the same ethnicity, let alone twins, etc. It was just garbage from start to finish.

I'm not sure what deviated more from the games, the live action movie, or the animated series. And yes, I watched the cartoon.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Ares wrote:Instead, it's a post apocalyptic dystopian future with magic amulets, Robert Patrick looking like evil corporate Vanilla Ice, two guys who aren't even the same ethnicity, let alone twins, etc. It was just garbage from start to finish.

But the movie did have Marc Dacascos in it. I'll watch anything with Marc Dacascos in it. :wink:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Jab's Builds: Silver Agent, The Pale Horseman, Double Dr

Postby badpenny » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 am

Double Dragon was before my time, but I love me some Brotherhood of the Wolf (speaking of Mark Dacascos).

You mission, Jab, should you decide to accept it, is to stat up Mani and Grégoire from Brotherhood of the Wolf

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 am

The other thing most people remember about Double Dragon 2 was the bizarre change in control setup, going from "punch and kick" being the two buttons to instead being "left and right". The reason was that the beat-em-up named Renegade had gone over incredibly well in Japan, and it had that control scheme, so they assumed everyone wanted it.

Side bit of trivia when you get to his build, Abobo was originally built as a cameo of Bolo Yeung, otherwise known as the big bad in any number of martial arts movies including Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm

badpenny wrote:Double Dragon was before my time, but I love me some Brotherhood of the Wolf (speaking of Mark Dacascos).

You mission, Jab, should you decide to accept it, is to stat up Mani and Grégoire from Brotherhood of the Wolf

Never saw it, sorry.

Side bit of trivia when you get to his build, Abobo was originally built as a cameo of Bolo Yeung, otherwise known as the big bad in any number of martial arts movies including Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport.

Huh- didn't know that. I should look him up. Wikipedia's lack of trivia disappoints me.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 am

WILLIAMS
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Bottom-Tier Mook
PL 4 (43)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (The Shadow Warriors)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (43)

-Williams is the very first enemy you meet, and the weakest in the game. The game compensates by tossing about a billion of them at you in a row, of course. Just why this guy named "Williams" would not only have four identical brothers, all also named Williams, but dozens of clones throughout New York City, some of whom are black or wearing different coloured outfits, is never explained. But this is just something you have to deal with in the "Beat 'Em Up" genre, as tired old sprites get rehashed time and time again, creating armies of multi-coloured Mooks who go down to a few punches. By the end of the NES game, when you've learned a bunch of new techniques, Williams is little more than a weak pushover, but still has numbers and sneaky grabbing tactics to help him out.

LINDA LASH
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Chick Mook, Second-Tier Mook
PL 5 (49)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Whip +1, Reach 2), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Whip +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +0

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (49)

-Linda is the only enemy that regularly shows up with a weapon- her trademark Whip, which actually does a bit more damage in-game (and is reflected in her stats here). She's about equal to Williams without it (but is a bit faster), still going down fairly easily, like a Mook should.

ROWPER
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Second-Tier Mook
PL 5 (55)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up

Powers:
"Tough Fighter" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Whip +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 3 (55)

-Rowper (sometimes Lopar or Roper) is only a little bit better than Williams, and like him, tends to shift appearance & race a whole lot. He likes to spam out Jump Kicks a whole lot (a major hallmark of the '80s, actually), but otherwise he's not that tough.

ImageImage

JEFF/CHIN TAIMEI
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Elite Mook
PL 7 (87)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Insight 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Damaging Escape, Defensive Throw, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Tough Fighter" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 5 (87)

-"Chintai" in the NES, and Jeff in the Arcades, this guy was a Stage Boss that eventually turned into a recurring Mook- a very strong, skilled henchman who rejected your grapple attempts and hit WAY harder than the other goons could. This made him a huge threat, especially when you fought more than one of him. He stats up like a slightly worse (but stronger) Lee Brother, hitting hard but lacking a tiny bit of accuracy, and having lower mental Ability Scores. As far as goons go, he's hyper-elite.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 am

ImageImageImage

ABOBO
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Giant Mook
PL 8 (76)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Damaging Escape, Defensive Strike, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Takedown, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immovable" Features 1: Increase Mass [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (76)

---

ImageImage

BOLO
First Appearance:
Double Dragon (1988)
Role: Giant Mook
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Damaging Escape, Defensive Strike, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Takedown, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immovable" Features 1: Increase Mass [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +1

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 6 (69)

-Oh, Abobo, how I thought you were awesome. Appearing as this grotesque, gigantic fighter, Abobo was the Stage One Boss, later downgraded into a recurring threat with multiples of varying skin colours (the Arcades contained lower-level ones named "Bolo", based off of Bolo Yeung- a common "Bad Guy" actor from the Hong Kong movies, I have just discovered), even a GREEN ONE in one stage! Abobo was huge and threatening, appearing by smashing THROUGH WALLS sometimes, and he never used a weapon, unlike any of the other goons, because Abobo didn't NEED no stinking weapons! He was so damn cool... I was PISSED when the movie of Double Dragon (which absolutely, well and truly proves that Video Game Movies Suck, unless they're the first Mortal Kombat) featured him as a roid-addled fat biker who made a face turn while looking like a Fist of the North Star guy in mid-splosion. But yeah, if you need an Elite Mook, this PL 8 monstrosity oughta do it- he can exert superhuman strength at times. And don't try to grapple him- you'll lose. Badly.

Return to “Roll Call”