Heroes of the World of Freedom

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Heroes of the World of Freedom

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 am

Greetings to one and all.

It's been a while since I've really contributed anything here in the Story Hour and that's been mostly due to my running three to four games in the game room in a somewhat modified setting of the Freedomverse. Most of my ideas for stories ended up becoming adventures there but recently I've had a couple ideas that wouldn't really work out too well as an adventure and I've found myself missing the creative outlet of writing (as frustrating as it can be at times). So I've decided to try picking up the pen, so to say, and give it another go but this time the stories will be about different characters within the FC setting I'm using.

Since some of the players of my games have been creative enough to craft stories of their own characters in that setting I've decided that there should be a place where all of those works can be accessed from as well, since they do take place in the same setting (kind of, none of this should be considered cannon unless specifically stated otherwise). Plus said players were agreeable to the idea of my posting links to their stories here. :D

With that all said, hopefully everyone will be entertained in some way, shape or form. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings before getting to the stories.

Stories in the World of Freedom

Spotlight Stories
Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Heroes of the World of Freedom

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 am

Stranger in a Strang Place: Vega is forced into a dimensional teleporter during a fight with an alien, can he survive in the new world he finds himself now a part of that has no idea what kind of hero he is?

Part 1 The Trip
Part 2 Freedoms
Part 3 Trust
Part 4 Questions
Part 5: Making Friends
Part 6: Ex-Cons
Part 7: The Angry Man
Part 8: Bad Company
~Interlude~ Fade to Black
Part 9: Witchy Woman
~Interlude~: Brothers In Arms

The Devil You Know: Foreshadow must save the one person he'd never expected - "Big Al' Driogano.

~Preface~
Part 1 Smoke Before the Fire
Part 2 Devilish Dealings
Last edited by Tattooedman on Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Heroes of the World of Freedom: Spotlights

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am

Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm

~From the journals of Foreshadow~

January 3rd,

Tonight I heard someone say that they would love to know what they’re future holds for them.

That person is a fool.

Thanks to my ‘gift’ I know what fate holds for me, as well as others, and there are times that I wish I could go back to being ignorant of that tangled skein.

But until the night no longer brings me visions of things that might be I will use my knowledge to protect those who need it, no matter what the cost to me. That is the burden I bear for the mistakes of my youth; every night I wander the streets of the city looking for those whose lives I have glimpsed in fevered dreams of things to come, things that need to be stopped.

It is my responsibility, I am the only one who sees the things that might yet unfold and am the only one who can be ready to prevent them from happening. I am damned for the things that I allowed to happen while trying to make amends and prevent others from suffering.

I only hope that when I finally pass on that my family will forgive me for failing them all those years ago.

-Coming soon, Foreshadow: The Devil You Know

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The Devil You Know: Part 1

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 am

The Devil You Know: Smoke Before the Fire

I find myself in a small room surrounded by darkness.

If I were anyone else I wouldn’t be able to know if my hand was in front of my face or not. Fortunately I’m not anyone else and darkness hides nothing from me.

Suddenly an incredibly bright light floods into the once dark room, blinding me for several long seconds until my eyes adjust themselves and I see that it’s not that light has filled the room; I’m outdoors. At Liberty Park specifically in what looks to be midday when the mothers who live in the city bring their children here to entertain themselves in the sun for a few hours.

But today is different somehow, but I’m the only one who senses it.

As the children continue to climb over the monkey bars, slide down the curling slides, play with their dogs and laugh while doing it all a bright, growing light catches my eye, something just off to the side almost out of view that quickly grows brighter and brighter as it comes closer and closer and it takes me much too long to realize that it’s a cloud of smoke and fire, the kind you see with large explosions in action movies.

But this isn’t a movie.

The massive fireball envelops me, the young mothers, their children, their pets, their toys, the trees and other plants. It consumes everything, leaving nothing but smoking corpses, charred dirt, scorched metal and melted plastic. Except for me that is.

I’m driven to know what caused this to happen and as I think that thought everything around me slows down to the point that for a few moments nothing moves at all; burnt and charred leaves hang in the air as if suspended from hidden strings and there is no breeze to be felt. Then it all begins to move backwards, rewinding itself and I find myself following the now shrinking cloud of fire back to it where it come from.

I quickly find myself standing in front of a building in downtown. One I don’t really recognize right off as I tend to favor the Fens more than any other part of town when I go out, but then I catch a glimpse of Johnny Oliverti getting out of a nearby car and making his way inside the same building.

Obviously there's more to this place than I can see from out here and I follow him in. His pace is easy and relaxed which tells me this is a place he feels relatively safe in, which means the Family runs it and makes me realize that I need to think about expanding where I go some nights.

I follow the Oliverti into the building, through the wall as such things aren’t a problem for me at the moment as I pass through them like they weren't even there, then continue through the maze of people inside the lobby until Oliverti steps into an elevator that no one else seems to use and I continue to follow him. Johnny whistles along with the wordless music that plays during the trip up.

He can’t carry a tune in a bucket.

We stop then the elevator doors silently slide open on the 21st floor letting Oliverti step out then turning left and heading down a quiet corridor, at least he’s stopped whistling. Judging from his relaxed attitude and not looking at the numbers posted just to the side of every door it looks as if Johnny’s been here a couple of times before because it’s clear he knows where he’d going - few doors later as he comes to a stop and gives it one single, sharp rapt which results in the door being opened by one of Driogano’s gorillas stuffed into an expensive suit who quickly grunts out a greeting to the number two man in the Family.

Johnny doesn’t even bother responding, it’s beneath him to bother talking to a man like this, he knows it, I know it, and so does the gorilla but none of us admit it aloud as young Oliverti steps into what looks to once been some kind of small office if I had to guess. There’s a table on the far side of the room with a couch placed in between it and the door, that gives off a small groaning-like noise as the gorilla’s much larger, partner rises off of it putting himself between Johnny and the man sitting at the table.

Johnny’s response is one you wouldn’t expect of the number two man in a mafia family – he puts both of his arms up above his head and simply stands there. Then the larger gorilla quickly runs his paws over the usual spots a person might carry a concealed pistol or other small weapon and once he's satisfied young Oliverti isn’t carrying anything he grunts approvingly to the person sitting at the table behind him.

Al Driogano’s voice easily carries over the large gorilla. “Grab a seat Johnny.” His tone is short and irritated; it makes it obvious he’s not happy about something his number two has done. But like the professional he is Driogano doesn’t get into that subject yet. Johnny gives the older man a warm, friendly smile that isn’t truly anywhere near friendly in all honestly but Johnny’s got to be respectful to his Capo, even if he’d like to slit Driogano’s neck from ear to ear and takes the seat to the left of Driogano.

“So what’s this I hear about you paying a visit to the Lady, Johnny?”

I’m glad I can’t be seen as my eyes widen at the question. Oliverti has been visiting Lady Tarot? No wonder Driogano is mad, she’s supposed to be his little secret and off limits to those few who know of her.

Johnny Oliverti says nothing at first and instead pulls out a silver cigarette case then opens it, carefully selects from among it’s contents, closes the case and lights the cigarette. He blows a long, slow line of smoke out of his mouth, his eyes watching Driogano the entire time. This was as much disrespect he could show to Driogano and get away with, they both knew it but just to add an extra bit of insult Johnny takes a second drag before answering.

He does like to push his luck doesn’t he?

“Nothing you don’t see her about really sir.” Johnny answers calmly as smoke flows out of his mouth while he speaks. “Just seeing what the stars hold for me in the future is all, things to watch out for. You know what I mean.”

Driogano’s face flushes and darkens slightly. “You know better and I don’t care what reason you think you’ve got, no more visits.” He glances down at his watch then runs a hand through his hair to smooth down some stray strands, while in reality it’s one of his tells that Driogano is trying to calm himself down. I know him well enough to know it but so does Johnny Oliverti, who has just a hint of a smirk on his face as he adjusts his tie.

“So what time is he supposed to be here?” Johnny asks as a way of changing the subject.

“Anytime.” Driogano answers curtly.

“Romanov’s got some nerve cutting things this close to the set time, it’s disrespectful to us.” Johnny fumes.

Driogano shrugs. “His way of showing he’s not scared of us I guess. We’ll make him pay in cash for the insult, that way he’ll actually learn.”

Johnny’s one eyebrow arches up. “Oh?”

“Yeah, his rep’s solid.” Driogano states plainly.

Johnny lets out a low whistle as Driogano confirms what I already knew: that Sergei Romanov was a member of Spetsnaz before breaking into the European criminal underworld and then moving here after some very successful years. That means Romanov isn’t someone to underestimate. My line of thought is interrupted by a set of quick raps on the door, which brings the first gorilla from his post two steps away from the door, who checks the peep hole then looks back his bosses and gives a silent nod. That means its Romanov at the door, to which Driogano motions for the gorilla to let him in. Sergei Romanov looks much the same as when I last had seen him – solidly built physically, with intense eyes wedged between his coal black bangs of hair and the matching scruff of beard he wore. He looked like a tiger someone tried to make into a pet almost wearing a button up shirt and vest with a pair of slacks and polished shoes. The whole time he’s patted down by the second gorilla Romanov never takes his eyes off of Driogano.

Once he’d been checked over, and the few weapons he’d brought in with him were taken, Romanov approached the table and nodded his head at the old man. “Driogano, is good to see you.”

“Whish I could say the same Sergei.” Driogano answers back, which brings a smile to the Russian man’s face.

“There is no call to be so rude Driogano, this is a peaceful meeting.”

“Fer the moment.” Johnny adds, his accent slipping slightly. A sign that he's getting mad already.

Driogano holds up a hand to silence his second while meeting Romanov’s gaze. “You wanted this sit-down, so say what you came to say.”

“Very well then, on to business.” Romanov states as he continues to stand, another small insult to Driogano and Johnny who were both seated. “I have come to offer you both the chance to simply pull your organization out now, before things become difficult. I have no wish to take over a destroyed operation, I would much rather prefer things to be in full working order when they are mine.”

You could have heard a pin drop in the room for the next four seconds.

During that time Johnny Oliverti's face turns a deep red, almost purple and veins begin to stand out on the one side of his neck, but before he can say or do anything Driogano breaks the silence. "Over my dead body Rusky. I don't roll over for anyone. You want what I've got? Come take it."

Romanov just shakes his head. "I tried diplomacy, remember that." And with that he steps away from the table and pushes his way past the two gorillas in suits, who only let him by due to a gesture from Driogano, collects his possessions that had been laid on the table and leaves the room.

Oliverti practically jumps up from his seat the moment the door shuts behind Romanov, ranting and raving about how they were going to crush that arrogant bastard. Driogano lets the younger man have his moment to vent, knowing that Johnny will calm down and be more willing to listen to the plan he already had put together.

"I'm going fer a smoke." Johnny states after he finally has regained his composure. "Then we're gonna figure out a way to ship Romanov back home in pieces." Driogano simply nods with a hint of a smile on his lips.

Johnny Oliverti isn't out the door thirty seconds when a high pitch beeping pulls those still in the room's attention to the underside of the table. It is a sound I'm all too familar with; that of a bomb counting down it's last few seconds.

Then the room is engulfed in fire, smoke and thousands of tiny bits of metal that tear everyone in the room to shreds and I am forced to watch that horrific show as well as the aftermath; the wave of fire that extends out unidirectionally to cover all of the city eventually that leaves scores of victims in it's path. I realize the latter part is only symbolic, that it represents Johnny Oliverti's efforts to take revenge on Sergi Romanov for killing "Big Al" Driogano but the explosion in the room is very real. The smell of cordite and burnt flesh that now fills the room drive that point home.

I've had enough of these dreams to know what parts are "real" and which aren't so when I finally wake up in my own bed, drenched in the telltale sweat that always comes with the visions, I know what I have to do.

I have to save Al Driogano.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 am

The Devil You Know: Devilish Dealings

It never ceases to amaze me how few people look up when their out in the streets.

Especially in a place like Freedom City where it’s not unusual to see members of the Freedom League, FORCE Ops, or the Albright kids moving through the skies by various means, or more importantly, me as I arrive on a rooftop just across the street from the club known as the Skidz.

Say what you want about Rey Cruise, or as he's better known on the streets Watts, he is much smarter than he looks; he bought this building because it takes up all of the small block it sits on so that it has no buildings next to it that people like me can use to get to the top of the Skidz. Plus he’s put all kinds of surprises out for those who can leap a couple dozen feet in one jump or those that fly, things designed to hold someone in place until the police arrive and Cruise can press charges for trespassing.

Don’t laugh. He’s done it before, and that poor guy couldn’t take the humiliation and left town that week, and no body has heard anything about him since then now that I think about it.

Fortunately for me, or unfortunately (it all depends on how you’d care to look at it really), I don’t’ have to worry about any of that. I landed in the right spot to be picked up by the camera’s Cruise has in place to watch all around the Skidz so he already knows I’m here, I’m just giving him enough time to let his goon at the door know it and tell him not to try anything with me since the last one that tried had to take three months off for the fracture I gave him to heal.

As I give Cruise the remaining minute I’ve been mentally counting down I spot something just off to my right; an odd glint in the street light, one that shouldn’t be this high up. After carefully moving towards the spot in question I finally recognize what I’m looking at – a surveillance camera. And it’s a damn good one too, military grade from the look of it if it’s the model I’m thinking it is. Then I spare a glance towards the Skidz and realize that from the angle the camera has been set that it would be virtually impossible to see from across the street. This means that someone is keeping tabs on Cruise and his business, but who? It’s not really that big of a list if you consider the players here in town but I don’t have time for that now, so instead I pull a small container out of my belt and quietly take some of the substance held inside it on the tip of my finger and then apply said finger to the camera lens. Moments later I’m done, and once the gel dries the camera will be worthless.

Sorry to whoever, but I like my privacy.

As I take one last look at the camera I raise my arm, point the grapple launcher then press the small button with my thumb and wait for the line to tighten up and pull me away. As soon as I touch down I find the young man at the door holding it open, waiting on me so I don’t waste any time and just walk right in. I don’t get a guide since I know the way and I’m too paranoid to trust one of Cruise’s people in this short, cramped hall. The only source of light is the tube of LED lights that run along the base of the wall and floor on both sides of me, not that I really need it mind you but most other people do. Otherwise a person would just be bumping into the walls at every turn of the mini-maze that’s been built in here to disorientate people unfamiliar with its set up.

Once I finally reach the stairs I take them two at a time, but I barely make any noise. It took me a long time to learn how to run almost totally silent and earned me a good amount of lumps for taking so long. At the top there is a small landing, just large enough for me alone to fit, another bit of custom modification that’s been done and proves that Cruise is almost too smart for his own good.

I ring the doorbell as I look up at the video camera, keeping my face from showing any sign of how I’m feeling. Have to be careful with guys like Cruise, they know how to spot the usual tells. Almost immediately the door swings open and I’m greeted by the large, red headed man whose street name is Kayo, whose eyes instantly start looking me up and down for several seconds before he moves back two entire steps to allow me passage inside the office where I find Rey Cruise, also known as Watts, the owner of the Skidz and one of the best sources of street info in Freedom City. Behind him is the other goon he always keeps around, Magnum. He’s a beefy 180 lbs from the look of him, with a shaved head and a bit of hair on his chin that’s supposed to make him look mean. What’s really mean about him is held under his coat in the twin shoulder holsters, which combined with his reflexes he can literally shoot someone dead before they could even finish reaching for their concealed weapon.

As usual Watts is powered up. He’s a metaman, electrical powers of some kind, and while he’s no Captain Thunder I’m sure he knows how to use them to get the most hurt possible. But the big thing is that he’s figured out a way to surround his body with electrical energy so tightly that it hugs him like a second skin almost, or at least enough that it doesn’t singe his clothing when he uses it. That kind of control is dangerous, and he’s all smiles as he greets me, which put me in mind of a jackal looking at it’s prey.

“Foreshadow, it’s been awhile hasn’t it?” Watts jokes just before taking a sip from the glass he held in his hand. Oddly enough the energy surrounding his face opens up as his mouth does then retracts back more to expose just a hint of his skin so the liquid doesn’t touch it. Makes sense if you think about it, and I do then tuck that small thought away for another time.

I grunt noncommittally to his opening statement to which Watts chuckles.

“Aww, sounds like you might have missed me.” Wonderful, he’s in a joking mood. This could take longer than I want.

“Wouldn’t know Watts, I haven’t tried hitting you yet.” As I say this I’m put on a cold smile that stops his enjoyment of his own bad humor quickly enough as Kayo takes a step towards me, but a single, silent gesture from Watts stops him.

“I see. It’s going to be one of ~those~ visits.” He says. His tone of voice tells me that I’ve made my point. This is a business visit, I’m not here to play games.

“It is.” I answer back, my voice coming out harshly and full of gravel like I want.

Watts gives a frustrated sigh as he sits back in his plush, leather chair. “Fine then, ruin my fun. It’s been a slow week. Who or what are you looking for now?”

“Sergei Romanov. I need to find him, as soon as possible.”

Watt’s eyebrows arch up. “Really? You realize he keeps his people’s lips shut tight, that makes it very difficult for me to hear anything from their corner of the world, so it might take me a bit of time.”

I shake my head. “Don’t have it to spare. Need a location tonight.”

“Well that isn’t really my problem. Best I can do is tomorrow.” Watts’ voice is a bit louder, he’s getting irritated with me and I quickly, but carefully, palm a small item I keep stashed in my wristband.

“It’s going to be your problem soon….” I start to warn him but stop myself before I say any more. I can’t share the facts of the coming days as I know them, but the damage is done I realize. What I said could be took as a threat and this time when Kayo takes a step Watts doesn’t stop him as Magnum’s hand starts to move and I realize that now is the time for me to make my move.

The smoke bomb flies from my hand to land on the floor between the two super-powered goons and it lies still for a hundredth of a second before filling the room with inky, black smoke that makes it impossible for a person to see their hand held up in front of their face. As Magnum, Kayo and Watts all begin to curse the dark I make my move towards the goons, because the thick, almost choking smoke doesn’t give me any trouble at all.

The threat with Kayo is that his power allows him to channel energy into his hands that he can release with explosive results - I’ve seen him punch through solid brick walls and leave a hole the size of a basketball. Otherwise he’s only human, granted he’s an ex-boxer so he’s tougher than most but he’s still human and that means he’s got weak points I can exploit.

Like the nerve cluster in the collar bone. It’s funny just how sensitive well muscled people are to that one; I’ll have to ask Doctor Henderson about it next I see him. But Kayo instantly follows my lead as I grab both of the small, squishy spots between his neck and shoulders tightly then pull his head downwards towards the floor as I bring my knee up as fast and hard as I can manage.

As I feel his nose break I follow up with an elbow to the back of Kayo’s neck and my ~other~ sense lets me track his falling to the floor while telling me that Magnum is still trying to get a bead on me despite not being able to see. So I quickly get back on the move to make myself a more difficult target as Watts has already pieced together what’s happened.

“Magnum! DON’T SHOOT! You might hit me!” This statement causes the thug to somewhat relax his shooting stance as he considers what could happen if he tries to take a shot at me and misses. So I waste no time in relieving him of his namesake weapon then deliver a nerve jab to a specific spot just behind his jaw and below his ear which takes immediate effect and he limply falls to the floor with a thud that leaves the room silent for several moments as I help myself to a few choice items from the bar.

Watts finally breaks the silence, his voice having just a hint of nervousness to it. “Alright Foreshadow, you’ve made your point. Nobody screws with you.”

I’m sure my answer isn’t what Watts’ was expecting as a bottle of water comes flying at him only to be hit by one of the few throwing blades I keep on me, which sends the water spraying all over Watts. His electrical fields reaction is the one I’d been hoping for as it surges and sizzles with several spots arcing in reaction to being soaked before suddenly snapping and crackling rapidly before finally shorting out and leaving Watts without his usual means of protection.

As the smoke starts to clear I quickly move in and grab him up by the collar of his oversized jacket so that he and I are eye to eye. “I don’t have time for your games anymore Cruise.” I growl at him. “The only reason I’m coming to you at all is you’re snooping around is normal while mine tends to raise red flags, and I don’t have the time to be sneaky. So you’re going to do this for me. For free. Then you and I are done. The next time you see me will end with you going back to jail.”

“Understand?”

Watts eyes go wide for a moment as I haul him in close, worried as to what I’m going to do to him now that his powers have been dealt with for the moment. Then after I tell him how things are going to be his face hardens as he regains his composure. “Fine. You want to play it this way, I’m ok with that. I’ve just been trying to make a living.”

He glances over towards his desk where his phone sits. “Mind letting me go so I can do your $#%& work?”

Fifteen minutes later I'm swinging away from the Skidz, mentally working out the quickest route to one of the couple addresses Watts had managed to dig up. I'd already stopped by the hidden camera and cleaned off the lense so whoever had planted it could still use it, no sense in denying whoever their opportunity to maybe get the drop on Watts. He'd be watching for me to be the one to come kicking his door down now and might get a bit sloppy.

Right now I had other things to take care of.

-- Chiun

Return to “M&M Story Hour”