Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Six

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Three

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Chapter 4

After the feed cut out the helicopter was filled with silence as Susan, Bonham, and the various agents all stood in silence as they watched the network anchors also struggle to find something to say.

“Director Bonham.” One of the agents finally spoke. “We’ve traced the signal. A house, 1322 Kimona street, it’s leased to a Clair Faraday.”

As Bonham started to bark out orders, among them being more information on Clair Faraday, the world slowed to a stand still for Susan. Clair Faraday was one of her aliases, created using Keller’s contacts, an alias that no one but her knew about an alias that no one could know about. She reached out to steady herself on a nearby chair. She was legitimately flustered.

“Cars are in route to the house Sir and we’ll be in the air and should reach the location right before them.” An agent said as Bonham was summoned to another monitor and whispered back and forth with an agent who was glancing over her shoulder at Susan. Things were about to go sideways.

She started to edge towards the exit when the doors began to close. Bonham was moving towards her his hand just about to reach for the gun on his hip. Susan kept one eye on his shoulders as she shrugged her cape back over her shoulders. They both knew where this was going. Bonham had to bring her in but she couldn’t let that happen.

There were four agents, and Bonham, in this section of the helicopter with her all four of them analysts who weren’t in her league. Bonham was the only threat. He took another step forward and she mirrored it taking a single step backwards.

“Susan, don’t make this any wors—“ Before Bonham could finish one of the analysts reached out and tried to grab her by the shoulder. An elbow snapped out caught him in the breast bone knocking the wind out of him and forcing him back as the flat of her palm took him right under the chin and sent him to the ground. Chaos filled the helicopter as Bonham drew his weapon and the other agents rushed towards her, right in the armed mans line of fire, Susan would’ve smirked at the clumsiness of it if she wasn’t throwing herself through the quickly closing helicopter door and back onto the city street.

She could hear Bonham cursing inside the vehicle as she took off in a sprint to get out of sight before they could get the doors open or radio any of the two dozen AEGIS agents on the street around her. She didn’t slow down until she was two blocks away where the Dovetail uniform was tucked into the bottom of a dumpster and she was wearing a light pair of jogging pants and a t-shirt.

“Keller, this is Susan.” She said when she activated her communicator. “We have a problem.”

Shivers was left to follow Jacobs through the small house on Kimona street as everyone else scrambled to wipe the place down and move the computer equipment into a white paneled van in the garage. No one was wiping down the kitchen though which was odd but at the same time Shivers couldn’t remember seeing anyone going into the Kitchen.

“Nancy team is in position.” He heard John call out from the Garage as they started in that direction. “I’m still waiting to hear from Echo and Delta.”

Jacobs checked his watch as they stepped into the Garage and flipped a switch on the wall that opened the large door. “Delta still has half an hour but we should’ve heard from Echo a few minutes ago.” Jacobs frowned. “Send in Alpha to check on their progress.”

“Yes Sir.” John replied as his burner phone was brought out of his pocket and the van dipped under his weight as he stepped in the back. They followed him in as the van rumbled to life. It backed out of the garage and drove on down the street and around the corner just in time to avoid the six AEGIS vans arriving on the scene.

Leonard sat in the back, with Jacob and the rest, his laptop receiving security camera footage from around the house. “That was closer than we wanted it…” He said as they watched AEGIS swarm the now vacant property. “We could’ve just used a router and transmitted from somewhere else. It still would’ve led them to the house…”

Jacobs shook his head. “No this was better. The house wasn’t for AEGIS.”

Shivers shook his head. To say that he was confused was a massive understatement, his withdrawals made it hard for him to focus his thoughts on anything other than his need to begin with but this was beyond him even on his best days. “Jacobs… What the f*&^?!” Everyone in the van turned and looked at him as his hands went up with his palms out. “What was that?! Massive terrorist attacks, hundreds maybe even thousands dead, and you’re going to keep doing this until what? They cure the sick and feed the hungry?!”

“Once you set your mind on killing, it’s hard to choose the number of the dead.” John muttered beneath his breath.

Jacobs gave John a look and turned to face his old friend and everyone else tried to act like they weren’t even there. “Look, I know it doesn’t seem like there’s any logic to what I’m doing…”

“That’s for damned sure.” Shivers said as he brushed a hand over his hair and scratched as at his neck with the other one.

“How do wars end?” Jacobs asked and Shivers honestly didn’t have an answer.

“I… What… What are you talking about?”

“There’s not a right answer to that question. Wars don’t end we carry them around inside of ourselves long after the peace treaties are signed and the guns are aimed at other targets and nobody notices. War hasn’t changed anything. The people suffer before it, they suffer during it and they suffer after it’s over.”

The confusion was still clear as day on Shivers face as Jacobs continued. “Susan once told me, well not me but I was there when she told James, that fighting was only any use when it’s cheaper than the alternatives. War is never the cheapest alternative so why do we do it?”

“…” Shivers just shook his and looked at his feet before he looked back up and replied. “Just skip the spiel Jacobs. What are you doing?”

“I just want to open their eyes. I want the capes to see that they can do so much more for the world than chase bank robbers. The biggest threats in the world don’t wear masks. They’re decimating the populations of entire continents!” Jacobs voice raised as he spoke and he started to turn red. “They’re causing children to starve and die in their mothers own arms! They’re causing men to kill men in the middle of the desert over sludge in the ground!” His hand slammed against the wall of the van causing all of them to flinch. “They’re our Heroes damn it! But they’re blind!”

“If it doesn’t happen in Freedom City they don’t give a f*&^.” Leonard spoke from behind the screen of his computer.

John spoke up again. “So now it’s happening in Freedom City.”

Susan let her hair fall out of the pony tail as she kept her head down to avoid being caught in any of the cameras along the street. She was walking with the flow of the people around her, falling into step with the gentleman a few yards ahead of her, as she held a burn phone to her ear. The battery of the phone was still in her pocket but she couldn’t talk into the communicator by itself without drawing attention to herself.

“Ethan, stop yelling.” She said flatly. Having told him about her being implicated in these attacks by one of her aliases and her subsequently fleeing AEGIS custody Ethan, in the common parlance, lost his shit. “I need you to get to the 24 hour fitness on 51st street in Southside, I keep a locker there in Faraday’s name and it needs to be cleaned out.”

“What the hell is in it?!” He asked. “Was this place on Kimona Street one of your safe houses?”

“No sir.” She answered. “I have a place in the Faraday name but it’s a small apartment, there’s nothing important there. In the locker there’s a canvas bag with some gear in it.” That gear was a Caliber uniform and all the assorted tools she used in that identity. She couldn’t let the authorities connect her to that alias. Caliber didn’t exactly handle everything on the straight and narrow. “You need to go now before AEGIS shows up to question you and the others.”

She could hear him sigh on the other side of the communicator as she stepped into the front doors of a large shopping center. “I’m sending H4ck.” He finally said and Susan didn’t object. It was a good choice, H4ck could move across the city quick and get in and out of the fitness center with her gear and he would know how to dispose of it and she trusted him. “I’m calling everyone else in. AEGIS will want to talk to all of them about you. I trust they don’t know anything about the Faraday identity?”

“You didn’t know anything about the Faraday identity.” Was how she replied. “The less you know the less you can tell.”

After they ended the communication Susan took an elevator up one floor in the shopping center and walking the length of the building she took the escalator back down the first floor and went out a completely different way than she came in. She then flagged a taxi, which she paid in cash, to take her twelve blocks to the now running subway station. She had to stay moving and she had to be sure that she wasn’t being tailed before she could even think about going to one of her caches.

Jacobs had implicated her in his plot. He had stripped tools and options away from her. It was brilliant, he knew she would be here in the city and that she was the only one here that knew how he thought. Because she thought the same way.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Four

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Another great chapter CD. I'm kicking around the thought of making this story cannon in the setting, any thoughts on your end on that idea?
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I think that'd be cool.

Though that would pretty well blow Susan's cover as Caliber and then she'd have to get yet another secret identity. And make things kind of awkward between her and the rest of Force Ops. And between Force Ops and the Freedom Knights. And between Susan and her therapist....

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Her Caliber cover is still fine. It's just the Faraday alias that's burned so far. If H4ck gets to that locker before AEGIS does then the Caliber identity is still secret. So far.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Ah, right. It's hard to keep track of. She needs her own chapter in the "Who's Who in the Tattooverse" book.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Tattooedman wrote:Another great chapter CD. I'm kicking around the thought of making this story cannon in the setting, any thoughts on your end on that idea?

Alright answered Shock first because I could reply to that one on my phone but this one I had to wait until I got to a computer to answer. This might be slightly longer.

If you want to make this cannon I'm fine with that. The long term effects of it would be my main concern. This is probably one of the deadliest attacks on the city since the Terminus invasion and even though Jacobs has firmly planted himself in the role of the villain I can imagine there will be some people who understand and even agree with his point but certainly not his methods. Hell I can imagine a few people going so far as wearing "Jacobs Was Right." t-shirts.

He's labeling the heroes as being ineffective in the bigger picture of things useless on a grander stage despite the hope that they give the world. He's hoping to shame them into action, make them sit down and look at what they've been doing and try to step up to the plate. The fall out of this attack isn't about the new memorial statue the city will put up when it's over. It's going to be how the heroes react to his message.

If this story becomes cannon that's the question that's going to have to be addressed. What's changed?

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Postby CelticREI » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Shock wrote:I think that'd be cool.

Though that would pretty well blow Susan's cover as Caliber and then she'd have to get yet another secret identity. And make things kind of awkward between her and the rest of Force Ops. And between Force Ops and the Freedom Knights. And between Susan and her therapist....

ClassDunce wrote:Her Caliber cover is still fine. It's just the Faraday alias that's burned so far. If H4ck gets to that locker before AEGIS does then the Caliber identity is still secret. So far.

*nods*
And as for H4ck knowing she is Caliber... hell, if ye remember it was Jason that -suggested- she get an alt ID to do her 'less-than-kid-friendly' hero-work.

He'd probably chuckle upon finding out lol
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Other questions that arise is "What was everybody else doing when this happened?"

Probably not as big of an issue for the Albright kids who aren't a group of proactive superhero types, but probably worth consideration for those other troublemaking do-gooders!
Woops, sorry, my inner villain slipped out for a second.

I'm enjoying the story so far, and strangely I don't hate Jacobs but I do have to say his methods are definately villain material.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 am

Arkrite wrote:Other questions that arise is "What was everybody else doing when this happened?"

Eh, you can always ask that question in comics. A couple Freedom Leaguers did show up in Chapter 3 but superheroes are always busy. Force Ops gets around. The Freedom League always has something going on, etc.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 am

Chapter 5

The trains were pretty empty which was almost to be expected after the morning attack. Susan had just come from one of her nearby equipment caches, a small basement apartment with a sweaty mouth-breathing landlord who took every opportunity to remind her that she could pay her rent with trade instead of money if she ever had the need, where she had changed into something warmer and gathered some equipment and cash. She was wearing a fitted jacket, with a collapsible baton up both sleeves a couple sheaves of Dove-Feathers with them and a Beretta at the small of her back.

As soon as she was sure that she had shaken any tails she had taken out her phone and started to call her contacts. She was racking her brain to work out Jacobs plans and she had hit a lucky break. She knew that in order to do what he was doing Jacobs would need a crew that he could rely on, disciplined and well trained, and if she were planning this then she would really only trust ex-military. She knew that Jacobs would think the same way.

After a call to the local VFW Hall, where she spoke to Jeff Williams the unofficial bartender and manager, she learned that a lot of new faces have been around the past couple of weeks and in fact three of them were there right now. So now Susan was on a train trying to make it across town before they finished their mid-afternoon drink.

There was only handful of people on the train and for some reason Susan had gotten the attention of one of them. A little girl, bundled up all in pink for the cold weather, kept peeking through her hood over at Susan. The girl smiled a little closed smile at her and Susan tried to ignore her but then the girl smiled with her mouth open and Susan had to smile right back at the site of her two missing front teeth.

She bit down her tongue to force back the smile as she looked away from the girl. She cleared her throat and forced out a cough to help with the process but when she looked back the girl had appeared right in front of her in the kind of quiet way that only children can move. Susan didn’t jump and she didn’t flinch at the sudden appearance of the girl but what she did even surprised her a little.

Feigning a look of puzzlement Susan leaned forward and reached behind the little girl’s ear. Her expression mimicking the little girls. When she withdrew her hand she held a coin. A smile took over the girls face again flashing those two missing teeth. She rolled the coin back and forth across the top of her fingers and the girls smile turned into a laugh. She switched the coin into her left palm and passed the hand over her right. When she turned her left hand palm up it was empty.

The girl laughed and pointed to the other hand. Maybe she had seen the trick before, but Susan hoped that she was just perceptive beyond her years. She turned the closed right hand over and opened it. No coin was there either. A look of confusion replaced the girls smile. Susan sat there with both hands turned up and shrugged.

At this point the girl’s mom, who had her attention focused squarely on her phone up to now, finally noticed her daughter was interacting with a complete stranger and called to the girl. The child responded by running to sit by her mother’s side where the volume was quiet but the intent was clear. The girl didn’t seem to care how mad her mother was at her. As their eyes met Susan gave her a look that said better luck next time.

The train came to a stop, Susan’s stop, and she got up, as she passed the girl she met her eyes again and handed her the coin. The girl’s eyes lit up and as Susan stepped off the train she had never felt more alone in her life.

When Director Bonham stepped out of the elevator, flanked by AEGIS Agents, and onto the floor of the Anders Building that held Susan West’s quarters he was met with exactly what he asked for. Sitting in the public area was Force Ops, the only people missing was the woman in question, Susan West, and the member known as H4ck. Ethan Keller had been quite sure, on the elevator ride up, that H4ck would be back shortly he was just busy across town.

The members of the team were all giving him the eye. “Has anyone been in her room?”

Ethan answered, “No. We’ve been on lockdown since we received your call.”

Bonham raised an eyebrow. “I imagine that my call came several minutes after the call that you got from—“

“Director Bonham.” Elizabeth Spengler, also known as Warshade, spoke up from across the room it was clear that she was pretty upset by what was going on. “I’m sure that this is just a misunder—“

“Don’t interrupt me when I’m asking a rhetorical question Miss Spengler.” He said bluntly as he looked over every member of the team that was sitting around her. He shook his head. “Which room is hers?” He asked to no one in particular and every person in the room that wasn’t currently an AEGIS agent pointed at a closed door right behind him. “Thank you.”

As soon as he opened the door the elevator dinged and out walked H4ck, teleporting through the agents between him and the living area, who joined the other members of the team. He nodded to Bonham in greeting. “My apologies, Sir,” He said in a thick Irish accent, “had to see a man about a dog.”

Bonham shook his head at the joke and stepped into Susan’s room still listening to the conversation that was going on outside of it.

“Was it bitch?” K-9’s voice perked up as he asked the question.

“Oh, a mighty fine one at that my four legged friend.” H4ck replied. “A poodle, groomed to the nines. Hair all did up, nails clean and shiny, wearing nothing but pretty little blue bows.”

Bonham shook his head as he looked over the room there it was so clean that he couldn’t believe someone actually lived there. “Separate them.” He called over his shoulder to the agents, “Question them all. Martin and Garcia you’ll help me with the search.”

He ran a hand over her bed, the sheets and blankets were tucked in so tight that he could bounce a quarter off of it. “Have you ever searched a room?” He asked the young Hispanic woman named Garcia, she was new to the Agency and was a pretty promising find. Bonham hoped that she would go far in the Agency. She shook her head no. “Just start at a wall and work all the way around. Take your time and check out everything. Just one thing at a time.”

They got to work. It wasn’t long before Martin found the hidden compartment in the closet filled with cash. It was a lot of cash to have around but there wasn’t anything incriminating about it since as far as they knew she had earned it. The most interesting part of the room was the densely packed foot locker at the end of her bed.

They took everything out and laid it on the floor. Garcia was looking through the wedding album that was at the very bottom as Martin checked out the various souvenirs that Susan had carried home with her from over a decade of fighting for good old Uncle Sam. There were ivory handled revolvers she had taken from an African Warlord, a large puuko knife she had won from a crew of Finnish mercenary’s, body armor with bullet holes still in it, and other sundry items that each obviously had extremely interesting stories but without Susan there to tell them they weren’t really of interest.

“Director Bonham!” He looked up to see Garcia holding out a picture. “Is that Carter Jacobs?”

He took the picture and in it was a group of soldiers, they were in the desert and they were all posing as a unit in their uniform. He recognized Susan in the front with James Warner, her ex-husband, and Carter Jacobs was right behind her and to the left. “That's him.” He passed the picture back to her. “I want to know who every other person in that picture is and I want to talk to each of them.”

As Susan approached the front of the VFW Hall she was met by a young soldier in uniform, an army man, who snapped a salute at the sight of her. “Sergeant West. Welcome back Ma’am.”

“At ease Soldier.” Susan said as she flashed the card that proved that her dues were paid for the year. It was a formality since Gittes knew who she was, hell every soldier in town knew who she was since she was kind of a celebrity to them. “How’s your shoulder healing?” She asked.

“Getting better every day, ma’am. The doctor says that I should have full mobility back by the end of the year.”

Susan smiled, “Good, that’s a quick recovery. You’re a tough son of a bitch Gittes. I’ve been hit with shrapnel before and I don’t think I was back to 100% nearly as quick as you’ve gotten there.” She complimented him.

“Williams told me to expect you.” Gittes said fighting back the smile from Susan’s compliments. “The three Rangers are still at the table nursing their drinks.”

“Rangers?” Susan raised an eyebrow. “Williams didn’t tell me that. This should be fun.”

“Fun ma’am?”

Susan nodded in reply. “Do me a favor and don’t let anyone else in for a little bit. This shouldn’t take very long.”

“Yes ma’am.”

He held the door open for Susan to enter. Williams spotted her from behind the bar where he nodded at the three men, who were obviously Rangers, at a table near the jukebox. As she started in their direction one of them looked up and noticed her and he quickly pointed her out to the rest. They looked a little bit freaked out at her sudden appearance.

“Airborne huh?” She asked as she reached their table, her hands hanging loose at her sides. “I went to Ranger school. It was a nice little cardio workout.” One of the men started to turn red at the insult but the smarter man in the middle put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

“Sergeant West.” The smart man said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you. Can we buy you a drink?”

Susan shook her head. “No. You can tell me where Jacobs is though.”

The angry man got even redder as the smart one shook his head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about…” As the smart one lied the angry one balled his fists up and the third one kept a hand under the table where he obviously held a gun.

“You’re a good liar. They don’t teach that in Ranger school, they should, but they don’t.” The angry one was impersonating a boiled lobster at this point, it wouldn’t be long before steam would be pouring out of his ears. She looked him right in the eye and said in a whisper. “If you swing at me you better knock me out with the first shot.”

That is when the steam started to pour out. It really wasn’t the smartest play. Shivers had once told her that fighting was only any use when it’s cheaper than the alternative but sometimes, like right now, Susan just wanted to hit somebody. An army boy was always a good outlet to work out some pent up aggression.

The angry one exploded out of the chair throwing a tight, almost perfect, straight right. It would’ve hit her square in the nose if she hadn’t been expecting it. She stepped to the side of it, away from the angry man just in time to stop the calm man with the gun. She grabbed the slide of the gun and forced it back so that it wouldn’t fire as he pulled the trigger just as her right elbow crushed his windpipe sending him to the floor.

She now had a pistol, holding it by the barrel, she sidestepped the beer bottle the smart one threw at her and weaved through another punch from the angry one just as she brought the handle of the gun down on the wrist of his attacking arm. Breaking both the bones in his forearm and causing him to scream in pain until she finished him with a pistol butt to the temple.
It was just her and the smart one now. She was still holding the gun by the barrel as she stared at him and he stared at her. “So where is Jacobs?” She asked and he shook his head.

“I don’t know.”

“That’s not the answer I wanted to hear.”

“That’s the answer I’ve got.” He held up both hands as Williams finally showed up from across the room. A fully automatic shotgun in both hands aimed straight at the last standing Ranger. “We’re divided into cells. Only his cell is aware of everything that’s going on.”

Susan dropped the clip out of the gun and put it in her pocket and then made sure the chamber was clear before she sat the gun on the table. “How many cells?”

“13.”

“Three men per cell?”

“I don’t know. There were three men in mine but I know that there’s four in Nancy and five in Gamma.” He shrugged. “My cell was responsible for transportation. We drop cars off at rendezvous points for escape after the attacks.”

“Jacobs gives you the locations? Have you already dropped the cars off for the next attack?”

“Yeah, two cars and a white paneled van.” He told her the exact locations of the three vehicles. “They’ve been within walking distance of all the attacks so far but that’s all we know.”

“Why are you telling me all of this?” She asked. “You’re being very helpful for someone whose been trained in resisting interrogation.”

“Following orders, ma’am,” He actually smiled, “Jacobs told all of us to be forthcoming with you if you found us. Not to put up a fight…” He looked at his downed friends. “They’re both proud Rangers ma’am.”

Susan shook her head at that. She looked at Williams and his very illegal shotgun. “Call 911 a couple minutes after I leave. Tell them that you exactly who is here and what they’ve done. AEGIS will come, probably Director Bonham himself, turn these men over to him.” Williams nodded without taking the barrel of his shotgun away from the men. Susan stepped closer and took the gun off of the smart one and set it on the far table as she stepped out the door and into the street.

“Susan West you’re going to have to come with us.” Susan stopped dead in her tracks at the sound of the Bowman’s voice. He was standing on the roof of a car across the street with an arrow aimed straight at her. On the sidewalk a few feet away was Gittes caught in some kind of a net with Sea-King standing over him and Otakumon not all that far away from the crown prince of Atlantis.

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Five

Postby CelticREI » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 am

H4ck's dialog made me crack up, a fake HP to ye for that one ;)
And also, bringing in the Freedom League are ye? This is getting interesting...
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Five

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 am

Chapter 6

“Put both hands in the air and step out onto the street slowly.” The Bowman spoke as he sighted down the length of an arrow. Susan complied, raising her hands, palms out, to just about shoulder height and just in front of her. As she did she consider her situation.

The Bowman was young but he was a veteran and of the three members of the Freedom League in front of her he was easily the most experienced. His standing on the roof of a car to give him an advantageous angle was enough proof of that. Sea-King, the crown prince of Atlantis, was a newcomer but by the he held himself it was clear that at the very least he was well trained by the best that Atlantis had to offer and Susan knew for fact, after a brief mission to the underwater kingdom, that their best was pretty damned good. Otakumon who she knew even less about was above the scene hovering in some kind of new Sky-Cycle. He didn’t have any weapons trained on her yet but that didn’t mean that he wasn’t a threat.

“F*&^ me…” She muttered to herself. “I don’t have time for this shit guys. I have an attack to stop and only…” she did the math. “25 minutes to do it in.”

It was Sea-King who spoke. “We have orders to bring you in Miss West. We cannot allow you to leave.”

“Tell us what you know about the next attack and we’ll stop it and Jacobs.” Bowman said the arrow still being held perfect steady. Susan was actually impressed by the young mans strength.

“You won’t be able to stop Jacobs. He’ll have planned for you, for all over you, he’s six steps ahead of you and you’re not going to catch up.” Susan answered.

“And he won’t have planned for you?!” Otakumon asked from atop his Sky-Cycle.

“You are you his plan for me.” Was the only answer that Susan gave as a single Doves-Feather was sent flying with a subtle flick of her wrist.

The Bowman let out a curse and the arrow shot wide as the bladed feather cut through the string of his bow. Susan barely had enough time to dive to the side and roll away from the lightning fast series of attacks launched by Sea-King. His trident weaving all around her, striking at her arm, legs and feet at what felt like the exact same time.

As she danced away from the attack she somehow found an opening to draw her two combat batons and briefly let loose a flurry of attacks that forced the Prince of Atlantis back on his heels in order to defend against. Her batons made contact with his armored thigh and calf sending a vibration up her arm and for that briefest of seconds she had overextended herself and Sea-King took advantage of her mistake.

The tines of his Trident, as if out of nowhere, caught the baton in her right hand and with a mighty twist tore the weapon right out of her grips and sent it clattering across the sidewalk. Susan tried to jump clear of the inevitable follow up attack with a hand spring backwards but mid tumble she was hit with what felt like a clothesline from a linebacker. She was able to roll with the hit and smashed right into the side of the car that the Bowman was standing on. She looked up and saw what looked like a hulking robot with a Samurai’s shoulder pads standing over her.

She scrambled to her feet as Otakumon dismissed the Samurai linebacker and a rifle of some kind appeared in his hands. She ducked beneath the first few shots from the rifle, which hit the side of the car throwing Bowman off balance as he continued to replace the string on his weapon. Susan’s right arm was numb and she couldn’t tell if it was from the body check, hitting the side of the car or even from when Sea-King disarmed her. Sea-King was moving to block Susan’s escape as she sent a hand full of Dove-Feathers in his direction. He was able to get an arm up to block most of them but a single Feather cause a small cut on the side of his face.

“You pinked me…” A smile spread across his face as he replied and Susan shoved off the car and into as much of a sprint as she could manage across the street, laser blasts and arrows filling the air around her as she ran into a narrow alley.

“Don’t let her get away!” She could hear the Bowman screaming in the distance behind her and the loping footfalls of Sea-King as he gave chase. She knew that Otakumon, on his Sky-Cycle, would be moving to the far exit of the alley to box her in. This was a fight she couldn’t win. She was already injured, she doubted she would be able to lift her right arm above her head anytime soon, and outnumbered as she was she was easy prey. She suddenly spotted her salvation. An open door is an invitation after all.

She burst through door into what was the rear exit of a small grocery store. Immediately both the mom and pop behind the counter started yelling at her as she slammed the door closed and locked the bolt. She ran her left hand through her hair as she started to look around for anything that could save her ass in this situation.

By Jupiter she was magnificent, Marcus thought as he sprinted after her through the alley, the economy of her movement alone as she fought spoke of decades of experience in battle coupled with what had to be a natural talent for war. Had it not been for the high quality of his armor she would have crippled him with that counter attack at his leg.

“Otakumon cut her off!” He could hear Bowman giving orders through the communicator as he watched West skid to a near stop ahead of him and then run through a doorway. He reached the door just in time to have it slammed in his face.

“Bowman,” He said as he thumbed the communicator attached to his armor, “our foe has run inside a building. I don’t know which one.”

“Follow her.” Bowman replied. “Otakumon, get to the front of that storefront. I’ll move to cover the rear exit in case she gets away and doubles back.”

It was a good plan, proving once again the Bowman’s experience in small unit tactics. “I’m following her in.” Sea-King replied as he knocked the locked door off of its hinges with a single well placed kick.

The shop owners were yelling as he eased inside with his weapon held in front of him to fend off any attack. He would not underestimate this woman. He heard a crash near the front of the small store and the owners yelled even louder so he picked up the pace. With a small hop he jumped onto the top of an aisle shelf and with a few jumps he was able to reach the area where the noise was coming from.

A curious look appeared on Sea-King’s face as he saw Susan West just standing there, as if waiting on him, with a pistol in her left hand and a large fire extinguisher in her right. Time seemed to slow for the Prince of Atlantis as he watched her toss the fire extinguisher underhanded right for his head, the throw was slow and he easily side stepped out of the way of it. But before he even realized what happened Susan had the gun raised and fired a single shot.

The bullet struck the top of the fire extinguisher blasting the nozzle off and sending the white powdered contents to fill the store and forcing the cylinder to change course in an explosive manner. The bottom of the cylinder struck the side of Sea-Kings head like a rocket. He was unconscious before he even fell off the top of the aisle and hit the ground.

+++

When Marcus regained consciousness Otakumon was kneeling over him attempting to check his pulse. “Did I catch her brother…” He was able to force out as he looking around him, he and everything else in the vicinity was covered in white dust and Bowman was trying to placate the owners of the store.

“No.” Otakumon answered with a shake of his head. “She never came out the front or the back. We waited a few minutes after you came in to flush her out but when nothing happened we entered and she was gone.”

“She was glorious brother.”

The Anime Avenger raised an eyebrow at his friend. “You might have a concussion…”

“She has to be a scion of Mars… Do you think…” Marcus sat up, shaking from the effort and even turning a little green. “She a little older than me but… Oh the kings that would rule from the union of her and I… Warrior kings…”

“Yeah… that’s a concussion…”

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Dovetail: I am Hell on Earth - Chapter Six

Postby Shock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 am

An implausible escape, but not by comic book standards. Good action!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:20 am

And now we know what Marcus finds attractive ;~)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 am

A woman that can clean his clock? You gotta admit, it's not much of a surprise. ;}

Return to “M&M Story Hour”