Pompadour: Press Releases

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Pompadour: Press Releases

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

OOC

My first Mutants and Masterminds character was The (Formerly) Sinister Pompadour. While I originally created that character for ClassDunce's "The Super Reality," I ran a slightly different version of the same character on the Freedom City PbP site. I don't frequent that site anymore, but I did some great writing for the character, and I don't want it to get lost.

These, then, are Pompadour's "Press Releases."

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Pompadour: Press Releases

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

OOC

The character from Freedom City was slightly different than the Atomic Think Tank version, so I'll repost him again for posterity:

Pompadour - Lord Fell - PL6 Hero

Postby Lord Fell » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Players Name: Lord Fell
Power Level: 6 (90/98)
Trade-Offs: -2/+2 Attack/Damage, -2/+2 Defense/Toughness
Unspent PP: 8

Characters Name: The (formerly Sinister) Pompadour
Alternate Identity: Brett Mason
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 220#
Hair: An awe inspiring Master-piece. It's dark brown, but appears black and glossy because of styling products.
Eyes: Blue

Description: This is kind of what Pompadour looks like. His fabulous looks top off a body that is tanned, toned and ripped. He has a very Rockabilly style, which is retro 50s with a neo-punk edge. On his left shoulder there is a tattoo sleeve, dominated by a traditional "Sailor Jerry" style piece... a Pin-Up dressed as a sailor straddling an anchor, next to a Pin-Up dressed as a pirate riding a shark, over the white/black Karma disc. Other images, such as a shot-glass full of skulls and a flaming eyeball are framed by dragon. He typically wears a battered leather jacket over a wife-beater and faded blue denims. His shoes are old skool brogues.

History: The young man who became the Sinister Pompadour (and changed his name to Brett Mason, at the suggestion of his Agent) was always an awkward, unattractive outcast. He thought this would be better when he went to college, but he actually found it to be worse... in desperation, he signed up for a new reality show, Mega Makeover, that promised to make him "better than he could imagine." The dangerous and experimental treatments the show subjected him to definitely made him more attractive, superhumanly so... superhuman in a lot of ways, including strength and intelligence. However, it also made him completely insane. He set out to get revenge on the fashion industry... but his motives were always jumbled -either he wanted to punish the industry for 'making him ugly' or for imposing unrealistic standards of beauty on people, or because they would be threatened by him, or for not making him attractive sooner, or attractive enough, or... really, just because he was completely insane and had a need to spread pain and terror around.

After several complicated crimes, The Sinister Pompadour captured the cast of America's Next Top Model, but was stopped by The Raven before he did anything drastic to them. She had tracked down the Mega Makeover people, and using their files and Daedelus' help was able to craft an antidote. The serum Raven injected Pompadour with drained away his super intellect (and associated insanity) and seriously weakened his super strength and pheromones. He was found not criminally responsible for his actions, but was ordered into Therapy for treatment and evaluation. As soon as he walked out the doors of the treatment centre for the last time, he went straight to a pay-phone, and called an Agent.

Personality & Motivation: Pompadour sued the few companies that had been involved in Mega Makeover that hadn't vanished or bankrupted, and has enough money to live comfortably, but is now looking for something more exciting to do with his life, and perhaps a more lavish lifestyle. Pompadour feels he deserves a "Hollywood" life, after his ordeals.

He does actually regret the things he did as a Super Villain... but hey, it really wasn't his fault. His decision to pursue a career as a Super Hero has more to do with economics than altruism, although he is generally a good person.

His ordeal has changed his personality a good deal. Before, he was shy and unassuming, now he is confident and flamboyant. He tends to crave attention, and will make special efforts to ensure he gets it. His personal style has also changed drastically. Pompadour is interested in pursuing a career in music; he doesn't have the talent (yet?) to be a star, but the Charisma is there.

Complications: For Pompadour being a hero has more to do with self promotion than doing good deeds. His Agent is generally working on a project, such as an endorsement that means he needs to keep his image edgy without crossing the line.

Pompadour was a social pariah for most of his early life. His powers have given him the looks and charisma to be more than popular. He will have a lot of temptations to use his powers to get him into the hottest clubs and the hottest girls. Which could be at odds with his image concerns.

His Agent worked hard to polish his image, making sure to let all the 'rags' know the specifics of the court ruling, and to stress that after treatment her client is cured and ready to make a difference... However, there are surely skeptics who disbelieve, or people that recognize him as a villain and hadn't heard that he's one of the good guys now.

At the height of his Villainy, Pompadour had a supra-genius IQ, and a plethora of knowledge he certainly doesn't have now. However, he is occasionally struck by odd thoughts and regularly plagued by dreams he doesn't understand.

Possessions:
Pompadour typically carries a fancy, PDA-style Cell phone, a multi-tool and a flashlight with him.
His pride and joy is a custom-painted, Stand-up Bass.

Stats: 18pp
Str: 14/20 (+2/+5)
Dex: 12 (+1)
Con: 14/20 (+2/+5)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat: 8pp
Attack: +2 (+4 Melee)
Grapple: +13 (+16 with Hair)
Defense: +4 (+1 Flat Footed)
Knockback: -5 (-10 Bracing)
Initiative: +1

Saves: 3pp
Toughness: +8 (Impervious 3)
Fortitude: +6 (+5 Con, +1)
Reflex: +3 (+1 Dex, +2)
Will: +1 (+1 Wis, +0)

Skills: 28r = 7pp
Acrobatics 2 (+3)
Bluff 2 (+4/+16 Attractive)
Climb 1 (+6)
Computers 2 (+3)
Diplomacy 2 (+4/+16 Attractive)
Drive 1 (+2)
Intimidate 2 (+4)
Knowledge (Business) 2 (+3)
Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+3)
Knowledge (Pop Culture) 2 (+3)
Notice 4 (+5)
Perform 3 (+5) [Stringed Instruments]
Sense Motive 3 (+4)

Feats: 10pp
Accurate Attack
Attack Focus (Melee) 2
Attractive 3
Contacts (Mandy Karlson, his Agent. One call to her will generally get the wheels moving on solutions to mundane problems. Trevor "Tank" Hancock, his Tattoo Artist. "Tank" has developed the tools and technique to 'ink' super tough skin.)
Dodge Focus 1
Improved Grab
Power Attack

Powers: 44pp
All of Pompadour's powers are from being a genetically altered human.

The Hair
When not active, his hair looks fabulous, but not unusual. When its power is unleashed, several inky pseudopods emerge to do Pompadour's bidding. He can generate, regenerate and dissolve hair almost instantly.
Additional Limbs 3 (Hair, up to 5 tendrils, Extra: Projection) [6+ 3AP]
AP: Speed 4 (100 mph, Flaw: Limited to Swinging) + Super Movement: Swinging + Super Movement: Slow Fall
AP: Super Movement: Surefooted (25% Reduction on movement penalties) + Super Movement: Wall Crawling 2 (Speed 30' per round)
AP: Super Strength 2 (Power Feats: Bracing, Groundstrike; Lt. 1 ton. Md. 2 tons Hvy. 3 tons Max 6 tons Drag 15 tons)

Elongation 2 (Only Pompadour's hair elongates, Additional Reach: 10 feet) [2]
Shield 1 (Hair will react to deflect incoming attacks) [1]
Strike 3 (Hair Attack, Power Feats: Mighty, Split Attack) [5]

Enhanced Strength 6 [6]
Enhanced Constitution 6 [6]
Protection 3 (Extra: Impervious) [6]
Pheromones 1 [4 +1AP]
AP: Emotion Control 4 (Airborne Scents, Alternate Save: Fortitude, Flaw: Sense Dependent -Smell)
Super Strength 2 (Lt: 532# Md:1,064# Hvy:1,600# Max: 3,200# Drag: 8,000#) [4]

Drawbacks: 0pp

Costs: Abilities (18) + Combat (8) + Saves (3) + Skills (7) + Feats (10) + Powers (44) - Drawbacks (00) = Total Cost (90/98)

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am

IC: The Graduate

Pompadour found it easier to pretend to be paying attention if he imagined the man's head exploding. One moment, droning away like a moronic bumblebee, the next... Splortch! "Mah brainz asplode!" When the droning came to an end, Pompadour clapped enthusiastically with the rest of his class, and joined the procession to receive his "mental health diploma." Man, I am so ready to blow this popsicle stand and get on with my life.

Pompadour milled around a bit, after the ceremony was over. He felt some definite mixed feelings. His group-therapy classes were artificial. People with anger or anxiety issues, socialization problems... to them, he was just one of the bunch. They accepted him, because he was one of them. He had not really interacted with anyone outside his class since the Raven stopped him. But, he wasn't really one of them. The changes that turned him into The Sinister Pompadour turned him into a maniac, but the serum that the Raven injected him with turned off the crazy like flipping a switch. He just had to get through the court ordered therapy. Pompadour considered his fellow classmates... they all seemed happy, but did they really change over the last six months? Did he?

This was just delaying the inevitable. It was time to get out of here, and get back to the real world. He disengaged himself from one of his well-wishing former classmates, and headed for the door.

Outside the McNider Memorial Hospital, Pompadour stepped into a phone booth -his diploma already sinking to the depths of the first waste basket he passed. His first call was to his agent, confirming his appointment later that afternoon, his second call was to his friend "Tank" confirming his appointment later that morning. He stepped out of the phonebooth, and looked up at the bright morning sky. He considered swinging through the streets on tendrils of his hair... but frowned and discarded that idea. Hailing a taxi, he headed cross town.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am

IC: A morning with the Tank...

"Tank!"
"Pomp!"
The hug that followed was exceptionally manly, with plenty of back-slapping.
"So, are we going back to work on that sleeve?"
"You betcha."
Pompadour hung his jacket up, and settled into the tattoo artist's chair. The bulky, bespectacled artist donned a pair of gloves and swabbed Pompadour's arm with an alcohol cloth. "So, you're free and clear now, right?"

"You betcha. Last day was today. That was a colossal waste of time anyways." Trevor 'Tank' Hancock said nothing, but his eyes regarded the former supervillain over his glasses thoughtfully.
Pompadour's lips quirked. "Don't give me that look... no, it's like this. Before the Raven caught me, I was completely raving. That stuff she injected me with cured me, and if it hadn't I'd still be doing what I was doing. None of the counseling sessions, or self esteem workshops, or sharing circles would have done me a damn bit of good if I were still crazed." Pompadour glanced over at his friend. "The truth is, the only worthwhile therapy I got over the last six months happened in this chair."
Tank didn't respond, his attention on working some bright orange ink into the flames surrounding an eyeball.
"Seriously, man. I've shared more real feelings, and gotten more insights about how I should see the world talking to you than I did at McNider. I mean... when I was using my hair to open doors, or write in my Journal, it made them all nervous and they told me they were worried my therapy wasn't going well. You helped me figure out that it was them and not me. Just as soon as I stopped using my hair to do stuff, that made them all happy and they told me I was doing better."
Tank paused, and shifted his thick glasses back up his nose. "S'projection, Man. Psych 101. Doctors, Psych Nurses... they're still human. O'course they afraid."

Pompadour nodded. "Anyways... I know we're almost done that sleeve, and I'm not sure if I'm going to get more work or not yet... but I think it's important that I stay in touch."
"Howzat, man?" Tank paused, his buzzing needle suspended in air.
"Sometimes I remember stuff. I have dreams. All of that... stuff at McNider was bogus, y'know? But... I think it's important that someone who knows me can keep tabs. If you think that... I might not be myself, I want you to call someone." Pompadour looked searchingly at his friend. "Can you do that for me?"
Tank met his eyes, measure for measure. "Bro, I got you covered."

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 am

IC: An afternoon among the Circling Sharks

Pompadour crossed the lobby of the Mercury Building in the commercial maze that is Wading Way. He'd spoken with his agent numerous times in the past six months, but never set foot in the building. He checked with the security desk for directions, then waited for the elevator. The building was stately, but antiquated... the elevator seemed to take forever.

Up on the 7th floor, he had little difficulty finding the offices of Mandy Karlson Consulting, where his Agent dwelled. The receptionist was twirling her hair around an unsharpened pencil when he arrived. She invited him to sign in, with a thorough disinterest... but within a few minutes, she was leaning over the desk to touch his hand, with extra buttons popped to show cleavage, and laughing like a jackass at his mildest jibes. She looked thoroughly offended when Mandy came out of her office to collect her client. At least I know my super-stud powers are still working.

Mandy Karlson was a pleasant looking woman in her late 30s. Pompadour was more than a little surprised, having only talked to her over the phone before now. When a dog goes down on its back, the fight is over, when a man goes down on his back, the fight's just getting started she had told him. The ruthlessness didn't seem to fit with her mint-coloured blouse and pencil-skirt. There were two men waiting for them in her office, a petite Asian man in a dark blue suit with rich plum-coloured pin-stripes, and a silver-haired man in a Glencheck sports jacket. "Brett, I'd like to introduce you to Gerald 'Hard' Case," she indicated the Asian man, "and Randolph Craig." He shook each man's hand in turn.

"Alright, you're probably not ready for a lot of detail yet. Fresh out of the system, you probably need some time to think and get yourself sorted out. I'm just going to bring you up to speed with what I was able to arrange while you were a Ward of the State." Mandy lifted a stack of manila folders off her desk. "First... name change. Goodbye Craig Spurgess, Hello Brett Mason. Nice and legal, now. Here's your Driver's License, Social Security, Credit Cards, yada yada with your new legal name." She passed him a small case, closed the folder and then gestured to Gerald. "Mr. Case can take it from here..."

Pompadour regarded the man, as he sorted his new identity into his bill-fold. The little man favoured him with a toothy smile. "Ah, yes. Ms. Karlson tells us that you're probably eager to get out and enjoy your freedom as quickly as possible. So, I'll cut through the legalese and lay it down straight for you. You signed a Liability Waiver for the Mega Makeover people, but that doesn't protect them against reckless endangerment. The primary parties associated with the show disappeared like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on. We still managed to seize some assets though. However, there were a lot of big, legitimate companies involved in that tragic mess, and they're very sorry about how everything turned out." Gerald opened another folder, and showed Pompadour a list of companies and figures... big figures. "Did I mention that they were very sorry?" The man's smirk was oily and feral. "All you need to do is agree that they were unaware that the products they supplied Mega Makeover were going to be used on you, not mention their names in the press, and agree not to pursue further legal action." Out of the corner of his eyes, Pompadour could see his agent and the other man, the silver wolf, nodding eagerly. He shrugged. Gerald turned to the older man, "Randolph, would you like to take over?"

The older man adjusted his jacket before speaking. "Mr. Mason, I'm an investment banker with Southern Glory. Ms. Karlson approached me to put together a portfolio for you based on projected settlement numbers. There are... a lot of factors here. Annuities, Amortization, Accrued Interest..." vague hand gestures. "Businessy crap, really. The bottom line is, you will have a respectable income for the remainder of your days, provided you don't live past 127. At Ms. Karlson's instruction, I also set aside a fair chunk of capital to finance your growth as a Celebrity Brand. At the moment... you have no money. Papers need to be signed, notorized and thoroughly scrutinized. A formality, but it will take a few months to put money in your hands. In the meantime, I have arranged a large line of credit with Southern Glory. Also, to facilitate your immediate enjoyment of your new freedom, I've arranged for you to stay in a luxury Mid-town condo." The man pulled a small envelope out of his jacket and slid it across the table to Pompadour. There was an address with a small map, and two sets of keys; one of which was for a car. Pompadour arced an eyebrow at the man. "The car is a gift from my bank. You'll find it in the parkade, stall 201. Honestly, your account is very lucrative, and it's the least we could do."

Slightly numb, Pompadour shot a questioning look over at his agent, who nodded subtly. He shrugged again slightly, and began signing an army of papers that the two men began marching in front of him.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 pm

IC: Battle Plans

After the paperwork barrage had ended, Ms. Karlson ushered the two men from her office. While Mandy wrangled them out the door, her receptionist came in to offer Pompadour some refreshments, as well as some hot-eyed glances and less than subtle lip-licking. He sent her off in search of Cherry Coke.

Mandy returned, frowning in the direction her assistant had gone. "That brings to mind a few topics we should discuss. I'm gonna come right out and say it... It's taking a lot of willpower on my part to keep from jumping on you with my skirt pulled up around my ears. But I don't, and I won't because I'm a professional. You have... quite an effect on women," she frowned. "And men too, actually. Gerald wants to be your bromance, he wants to go clubbing, play golf, and shop for clothes with you. I nearly vomited listening to his plans." Mandy made a point of intercepting the receptionist at the door, and sending her back out to the front office. She set a tray of glasses, ice, and cola on the table, and sat down across from him. "So... specifically, please do not knock-up Cassie, and more generally -when it comes to other women, try and keep it in your pants." "Cassie?" Asked Pompadour, pouring cola over ice.

Mandy sighed. "My assistant. The eager little kitten that's been drooling over you all afternoon?" Pompadour wasn't sure if he should be embarrassed that he hadn't bothered to get her name. "Never mind that. You called me, many moons ago, because you want to be a Big Star; A-List, Red Carpet, Groupies, Limos, and the rest of it. You have the raw talent, I have the know-how, the only thing between you and your goals is some hard work, and some discipline. If you get yourself caught up in paternity suits and pointless marriages, you'll be just another K-Fed. Don't waste my time, don't waste your potential." She raised her own glass of bubbling black soda, "Shall we toast to your future?" She maintained eye contact continuously through the ritual of clinking glasses together, clearly evaluating his commitment.

"Alright. I'm negotiating with all the tell-all mags. The highest bid that agrees to give me final editorial gets an exclusive story. We'll arrange an interview, show them what a nice, stable guy you are now, and you can talk about how sorry you are about what happened. The following week, the other magazines will get a press release and a polite note from Gerald about unauthorized deviations from what we've prepared for print. I'm also in talks to get you onto Tyra." Pompadour carefully wiped up the soda that had spurted out his nose. "You think that's likelier than air spontaneously turning into gold?" Mandy nodded. "First, Tyra is a pro. Second... as much as she was terrified when you had her captured, I know for a fact she was just as turned on. I know that seems pretty improbable, but my first hand experience has taught me that women are crazy... anyways. Trust me, it won't be a big deal. You show up, make nice, charm the Blahniks off her, and give her a big ass cheque for her pet charity. Big hug, photo-op, and it gets posted on You Tube."

"Anyways, I think that's where we should leave it for today. I have another appointment at 3:00. When you come in again, we can talk about your career as a super-hero." Pompadour made use of yet another napkin. "My what now?" "You have super powers, you can be a super hero. Great press. We'll talk about it."

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 pm

IC: Homecoming King

Pompadour had started to open the door to leave the building when something occurred to him. He backtracked to the security desk, and got directions to the parkade. So... stall 201 should be on the 2nd level, and it should be... that-a-ways.

"Huh."

This... I was not expecting. He gets it... but he doesn't get it. Pompadour frowned at the car, tapping his chin thoughtfully. He gave the car a thorough checking-over. Well, the downside is that this car is not Rockabilly, but someone who didn't really understand the style might think it was. On the upside, it's a 2008 PT Cruiser custom-chopped to be a street-rod. It's probably worth 60 Grand, and it's probably a sweet ride. All the right papers were in the glove box.

He settled into the driver's seat and started the car. He checked the map to his new home, and programmed the address into the cars GPS. After firing the ignition it didn't take long to be sure that the car had something much sexier than the standard 4cylinder engine. The trip from Wading Way to the Mid-Town condo was pretty quick; it was not yet 3:00pm and he had beat the Rush Hour.

The building was a newer high-rise, and clearly upscale. There was a doorman on duty at the front of the building. Pompadour parked his car and approached the man. Consulting the map Randolph Craig had given him, he told the doorman "I'm new to the building, in 1204. Is there anything special I need to do to get in?" "Ah, Mr. Mason. I've been expecting you. Here is your remote for the underground parking. After hours, you will also need your key to enter the elevator. The same key that opens your suite will also open the main door here and the elevator in the parking lot. The entrance is around the corner here, on the South side." Pompadour thanked the man, and returned to the car. The trip through the parkade and up the elevator to his floor was uneventful.

Pompadour found his apartment on the North-West corner of the building. Each floor seemed divided into 4 suites. He walked through the suite. There was a large living-room and a dining-room off the well appointed kitchen. Behind the kitchen a pantry/utility room housed stacked laundry units; washer and dryer. Across from the kitchen, there was a study and a guest room, a full bathroom that was across from the study and down from the kitchen. The Master Bedroom had a walk-in closet, and an attached bathroom that offered a dual-shower and a whirl-pool soaker. Nice. In the study, he found a neatly laid-out stack of things he had bought on-line while in Therapy, most conspicuous of these being the custom Stand-up Bass he had ordered. There were some other things that he hadn't bought, and he leaned in to inspect these items. Ah... gifts from Mandy. PDA-slash-Cell phone, fancy-manly-tool-thingy... Mag-lite. There was already a text message on the phone, from Mandy. Simply "welcome home."

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm

IC: Empty Spaces

Pompadour roamed aimlessly from room to room in his new apartment. The place was already furnished, every piece of furniture selected from the finest manufacturer, in colours intended to be as neutral, and therefore bland as possible. The living room was dominated by an enormous flat screen TV. Pompadour picked up the remote and stared at it. Some time later, he was able to actually use it on the TV. There was no cable hooked up yet; white noise on every channel. A state-of-the-art stereo system was prominent in the entertainment center as well. There was probably something specific he needed to do, to get the stereo attached to the building's antenna; the solid concrete construction made it impossible to get a station tuned in. He had no CDs with him. More white noise.

He drifted into the kitchen. The crisp white fridge was open and unplugged. Most of the cupboards were empty. Above the gleaming steel sink, he found shelves filled with neat stacks of patternless white china and clear glassware. Stainless steel cutlery glinted in one of the drawers. It made him think of an Operating Room.

His restless, listless feet brought him to the study. He looked at the sealed cardboard boxes that contained the assorted things he'd bought online over the last few months. He fiddled with his new multitool until he found a blade, and set about cutting open packages. Plastic wrapped garments and oddities. He didn't really remember ordering any of it. He blinked a few times. He was sitting at the desk, staring at a hoodie that was covered in tattoo patterns. He wasn't sure how long he'd been spacing out. He tossed the hoodie on the floor. He picked up the massive case containing his Stand-up Bass, and walked to the bedroom. Styrofoam peanuts stirred and settled in his wake.

Run to the bedroom! In the suitcase to the left you'll find my favourite axe! Don't look so frightened! It's just a passing phase; one of my bad days! The kingsize bed was smothered in crisp, white and sterile bedding. Probably as comfortable as sleeping on a cloud. Closets, drawers... empty. He opened the case, and gently lifted the expensive instrument. He frowned for a few minutes, idly running his fingers over the strings. He limbered his fingers by running through some basic chords, and finally started to play. He had been working on learning Estranged by Guns and Roses and he tried to wrest the song from the instrument. Something wrong. Something off. He thought, maybe, singing might help and he raised his untrained voice. "So nobody ever told you, Baby - How it was going to be. -So what'll happen to you, Baby? - Guess we'll have to wait and see." His voice echoed back to him, from the empty suite; it sounded weak and hollow. His singing trailed off, and his playing devolved into a jangle of notes. He sighed, and sat down on the bed.

He regarded his bass, spinning the big instrument slowly around the spike on it's end. He frowned. This was something he distinctly remembered ordering. The sparkle finish, in iridescent green and gold looked so cool in his head, but now he thought it was sort of pretentious. Turning it, he looked at the mural painted on the belly. A faerie kneeling before a rearing unicorn... the juxtaposed Child's Fantasy and Adult Fantasy images struck his fancy when he commissioned it. Now he thought it looked surreal and vulgar. He carefully put the expensive piece back in its case.

He made his way to the bathroom; stared at himself in the mirror. There were no toiletries or linen of any sort to be had, so he used his hands to splash his face and drink from the tap. I have got to get out of here. This place is haunted and the ghost is me. He frowned and dug into his pockets, looking for a card. The lawyer, Gerald Case, had given him an address to a club. If that little weasel thinks it's great, it will probably suck... but at least it's not here.

He grabbed his jacket and his keys, and went out.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:25 pm

OOC

Pompadour leaving his suite was in response to an invitation to join an RP thread. This thread was a two-player event, run by the other player who was senior to the boards. Because it was a collaboration, I'm going to post a synopsis rather than post verbatim; only some of the writing is mine.

Interlude: The Chain and the Lightning

Pompadour finds himself at a semi-exclusive club called Da Bomb, its name coming from being a former fallout shelter. The club isn't advertised to the general public, and while it's a happening place, it's nowhere near as crowded as a teenie meat-market.

With his pheromone powers, and essentially superhuman attractiveness, Pompadour quickly acquires a swarm of attracted (and attractive) ladies. He also draws the attention of Jack Faretti. Jack is a vampire, as well as a masked vigilante who calls himself Avenger (the other player). Jack is surprised and confused to see someone on his turf drawing so much feminine attention. Looking daggers at his rival, he suddenly recognizes The Sinister Pompadour. He's not sure of Pompadour's current status as a villain, but he sure doesn't like this interloper... he works his way through the crowd, to confront him.

Pompadour really isn't interested in meeting other guys... and this Jack guy, accosting him, has an edge of aggression he doesn't care for... so he's completely flippant. This provokes Faretti to attempt an intimidation. Just as things were escalating nicely, the lights in the club violently shorted out.

Here, we ran into a snag. I felt it was in poor taste for another player, one with a PL11 character to use Intimidation on my PL6 character -one of the site admins specifically described this sort of behaviour as Sandbox Bullying. Also... the other player was Running this event, and I didn't read the post carefully; on first impression it looked to me like the Player was using a GM Fiat cause the electrical disturbance to make his character seem more threatening. A power that his character just didn't have... and I wasn't having it. However, I was entirely wrong about the electrical disturbance, as will be seen shortly.

My response, probably not the most sportsmanlike either. I invoked the rules; players are immune to Interaction checks by other players. I declared that Pompadour knows he is superhuman, but has no reason to believe that Jack Faretti is... so he's just. not. intimidated.
A perfectly legal, but not universally popular decision. This may, in fact, come back to bite me...

When the lights exploded, Jack Faretti sensed trouble, and disappeared to don his Avenger costume. Meanwhile, Pompadour dug out his flashlight, didn't see Faretti and started looking around the floor to make sure he hadn't been knocked down and stepped on. Then... a bolt of lightning flared in the club, and a figure emerged from it.

The new arrival declared he was Donar, Lord of Lightning, and also Raymond Gardener, Scion of Asgard. Donar, is an old school thunder-god villain. Raymond Gardener was an entirely different person, the Freedom League's Captain Thunder -a well known hero with decades of accolades. Meanwhile, while Da Bomb's patrons were scrambling, Pompadour was standing still debating whether he should mix it up with this apparent villain, holding a Maglight... and making himself a big target. Donar threw his lightning charged hammer at Pompadour, who narrowly avoided a decapitation. Avenger then returned, drawing Donar's attention.

The infrastructure of the club very quickly started to suffer from Donar's attention. While Avenger drew Donar's attacks, Pompadour turned his efforts to rescuing the clubbers. Supporting the now cracked and creaking roof with tendrils of his hair, Pompadour ushered panicked club girls, party boys and staff out a back stairwell. Once the club was clear of civilians, Pompadour resolved to take a piece out of the Lightning Lout.

Finding himself flanked by two super heroes (?), Donar decided to take a powder... his departing lightning storm caused an already damaged roof a fatal blow. Pompadour and Avenger both cleared out rapidly. Clear of the club, but unsure where Avenger was, Pompadour turned back to make sure he was out... and was caught in a shockwave as the roof gave in. Naturally, Avenger was already clear.

Emergency service vehicles were starting to arrive, and Avenger (who was Wanted) departed to let Pompadour take all the glory for rescuing club goers and fighting bad guys. Future threads, which Pompadour was not involved in, revealed that Donar/Raymond Gardener was a visitor from another multiverse. Similar attacks occur in Freedom City over the next few weeks.
Last edited by Lord Fell on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 pm

IC: The Morning After the Night Before

He awoke in another strange bed, with another strange ceiling staring back at him. At least he knew where he was, and how he got there. A Nurse plumping his pillows had woken him. He was in a private room, back at McNider. This time, at least, he was in for physical rather than mental health reasons... at the strict orders of his Agent and Lawyer. Waste of time... nothing happened last night that I couldn't walk off... The Nurse gave him a pat on the cheek before heading out. She seemed old, wise, tough and brown like an old oak tree... Pompadour wondered if his agent had requested that more mature Nurses be assigned to him.

He napped for a while, not quite able to get to sleep with the noise and bustle of the hospital around him. Some time later, a Doctor came in, holding a chart. "How are you holding up, Champ?" Pompadour frowned at the man. "Honestly, I think I'm taking up a bed that someone who might actually be hurt should have." The Doctor returned his frown, shaking his head. "First, don't worry about it. Private rooms generally sit idle unless someone with serious health coverage checks in -such as yourself. Second, we're really not sure how much damage you may or may not have taken in that fight. The same body systems that let you survive at all are also making it very hard to get accurate readings as to your health. Here's your head & neck X-ray from when you were brought in."

The sheet the Doctor held up was a nearly white silhouette, although strange trails of... something seemed to extend from the head. "Not a lot of use to us. This might be because of tissue density, or well, I think there's some sort of energy field emanating from your hair... in any case, we're going to have another look at you with an MRI. We're also having some issues drawing blood... but this is Freedom City, so nothing we haven't gotten around before." The Doctor gave him a hearty smack on the knee. "I doubt it's a problem, but you know Mandy... she told me that Gerald would sue us into the ground if we let you walk out of here with an untreated injury. Such a kidder. Anyways, we have the tests booked, and you should be all checked out by this afternoon." The Doctor's tone made it clear he knew that Mandy was not kidding... she was completely ruthless.

After the Doctor made his exit, Pompadour uncoiled a lock of hair, and brought it down before his eyes. A field of energy surrounding my hair. Interesting... He squished the tendril between his fingers thoughtfully. Well, clearly I have no hair bones, and something makes it move how I want.

Not too long after, the Ruthless One herself made an appearance. "So... I make a comment about you taking up a career in Heroism, next thing I know you're in a fight with Donar. You know, I think he fought Centurion back in the day. While I admire your enthusiasm for the project, we should probably have a talk about exercising caution..." She frowned at her client, and perched on the edge of the bed. "So, how are you actually doing? You don't look too broken." Pompadour scowled at his agent. "I'm fine. This is pointless. I shouldn't be here." Mandy patted his knee. "Relax. I'm sure you'll be fine... it's just better to be sure. I'm not going to take chances with my rising star." She paused and opened her briefcase. "Here's something to ward off boredom. I've pretty much settled on a magazine for your interview, here's a little pre-interview exercise so you've had a chance to think about anything they might ask you." The questionaire Mandy passed him was thick... and heavy... more like a workbook. Pompadour narrowed his eyes at her, and allowed his expression to sink into thoroughly sulky territory.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Special to the Freedom Ledger, Saturday May 16th, 2009

Explosions rocked a south-side nightclub last night, in an apparent supervillain attack. At around 10:00pm a superhuman calling himself Donar, Lord of Lightning, blasted through the walls of Da Bomb and threatened the patrons. In a strange reversal of roles this supervillain also claimed to be Ray Gardner (Freedom League's Captain Thunder) and that the (formerly) Sinister Pompadour was on hand to fight him. Pompadour was responsible for saving nearly a hundred civilian lives. Other witnesses reported that Fen's Vigilante the Avenger was also present in the club, battling the electric lout.

One witness, Michelle (last name withheld), described the scene. "This big guy in blue and white armour showed up and started blasting everything with lightning! Then Pompadour told him to quit being a jerk, and the fight was on! But the blue guy made the roof cave in, and Pompadour was holding up the whole place with strands of his hair, it was so totally awesome? But Pompadour got us out, and wouldn't leave until everyone else was safe. I'm so worried he got hurt -he got caught in the crush when the roof finally gave in. He's so brave!"

Police Spokesperson, Sergeant Linda Burelle had this to say, "Witness reports are fairly conclusive that Avenger and Pompadour battled a supervillain in the club, and that acting together they saved a lot of lives. We aren't prepared to comment at this time about reports indicating that the attacker was Captain Thunder. Pompadour was taken from the scene by ambulance, with undisclosed injuries. There is no sign of Avenger, who is wanted for questioning by the police on unrelated matters."

Club owners could not be reached for comment.

Mandy smiled, and reached for her scissors; a little something for the scrap-book. It's amazing how a few suggestions to the right reporter, coupled with a small token of appreciation will produce a newspaper article that says almost exactly what you want it to say.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 pm

OOC
A second collaborative thread with a different player. This adventure had a proper GM and was quite a bit of fun. Unfortunately, the other player kind of disappeared on me, and we never actually completed the thread. I always sort of assumed that "everything turned out OK."

Interlude: Long Days and Short Tempers
All of Pompadour's tests have come back looking good. However, his muscles had started to stiffen, and new Attending Doctor (a lady doc, who's eyes got hot when she looked at him) decided that he should be kept over night for observation. When his nurse woke him next morning, she noted that news crews were gathering on the steps, and speculated they were there to see him being released. Still in a robe and pajamas, Pompadour headed down to the main entrance to see what the fuss was about.

The fuss was about another hero, named Mercy. Mercy had been in McNider Hospital recuperating from damage received failing to stop a robbery. Mercy was the junior half of a crime-fighting duo. When her partner and mentor Justice went missing, nothing seemed to go right for Mercy. Not only was she losing battles, members of the press speculated it was her fault her partner had gone missing. When Mercy stepped out of the hospital, the Press ambushed her. More insinuations about her partner. Speculation that she might have collaborated with the robber to allow him to escape. A blunt assertion that it was time for her to find another hobby.

At first, Pompadour kept his distance, not wanting to steal another hero's spotlight... but then he saw how badly things were going. Mercy was becoming quite angry, and fortunately for the reporter she had grabbed, Pompadour intervened before she could do anything worse than give him a good shake. At first, Pompadour expressed sadness that the press could be so biased. Then, pleading infirmity, he asked them to come nice and close so he wouldn't have to shout (and so that they could breathe in his pheromones). Disarmed by his natural charisma, and then overwhelmed by his superhuman scent... the reporters abandoned what was going to be a televised Public Opinion Lynching, and accepted a rather tepid sound bite instead.

Alone with Mercy, the only real superhero Pompadour has ever met, he confesses that he would like a tutorial on what it is that she does. He suggests by way of a trade, he could possibly teach her something about Public Relations. Meanwhile, Mercy has gotten a good couple of lung-fulls of Pompadour's pheromones, and would agree to just about anything at this point. Pomp proposes that they meet after supper, that very evening. As expected, Mercy was quick to agree.

After being discharged from the hospital, Pompadour was still concerned about stiffness in his back. He speculated that the amount of weight he can lift and power he can exert through his hair is greater by far than what his body can tolerate, even though he is super strong and tough. He also speculated that there must be one or more masseuses in the city that specialize in superhuman clients. A short while later, Pompadour found himself at Madam Li's, who walked on his back with cinder blocks strapped to her feet, and beat the knots out of his muscles with an eight-pound sledge. Then, at a nearby Korean resteraunt he ate noodle soup (pho) and waited for Mercy to call.

Pompadour and Mercy met later that night at the Hilton. They talked about the theory of being a hero; patrols, police scanners and the like. Pomp also revealed that he had been afraid to use the traveling aspects of his hair; it just seemed a little far-fetched, and he didn't want to make a mistake while dangling from a skyscraper. Mercy as a flying hero, was in a position to fly along, and catch him if he fell. While out practicing, Pompadour did actually fall when he ran himself out of tall buildings. However, before Mercy could catch him, his hair flattened out and began to whirl like massive helicopter blades, and Pompadour hovered down to safety.

The preliminaries out of the way, Pompadour was eager to try an actual Patrol. Meanwhile, Mercy was of the opinion that Pompadour ought to take her out for drinks. They compromised on a distant bar, and a scenic route to get there. En route, Pompadour happened to spy half a dozen lurching figures in trench coats enter a liquor store. As it turns out, the suspicious figures are Beer Demons and Liquor Imps; actual abyssal entities in search of alcohol, and not at all reluctant to harm mortals who might hinder their acquisition of booze.

Pompadour and Mercy each vanquish a couple of the creatures, while dealing out collateral damage to the store. The chief Beer Demon was distraught at losing over half his followers, used his power of Possession to control the female clerk. If the heroes wanted to take him down, they'd have to go through her. Mercy fetched a bola from her utility belt and launched it at the clerk. In an ideal world, that would have tangled and disabled the woman. Meanwhile, Pompadour dealt with the last two Imps.

"You little shits are boring me." Pompadour's hair snakes out in a two-pronged arc, and snatches them up. "Time to cash you in for your deposits." There is a resounding *crack* as Pompadour drives the heads of the two bottle-wielding Imps together. As Pomp drops them to the floor, the champagne bottle one of the demons is wielding pops its cork, spraying a white fountain of booze into the air.

Pompadour steps over their prostrate forms. "Did you hear that Mercy! I quipped! I'm getting the hang of this hero stuff!" Glancing back at his partner, he frowns. "You OK, babe?"

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 am

OOC: The "Ridiculous Questionnaire"

Freedom City PbP characters are driven by advancement through Power Points just like any other character. One of the ways that any character could earn a "free" PP was to fill out a rather lengthy Character Personality Questionnaire.

The best thing about the Questionnaire is that it can really give you an insight into your character; you think about aspects of how the character might think that a lot of characters just don't get. There's also a lot of background questions that guide players through thinking about their backstory; training, childhood, and even previous generations.

The worst thing about the Questionnaire is that it's really, really long. In some places it can be pretty repetitive. The other problem with it, is that it was originally written for a Fantasy campaign. It was not edited to a modern era campaign, either. Who's your patron deity? Where do you keep your magic items? Not questions my 21st Century City Boy was prepared to answer.

Regardless... I had a copy of it. I could use an extra PP... and I had an idea how to fit it into my story. So, I filled it out.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 pm

IC: Idle Hands do the Devil's Paperwork

Monday afternoon saw Pompadour strolling into his agent's office with the massive questionnaire she had saddled him with while stuck in the hospital. He didn't have an appointment, but she waved him in anyways. "Hey Brett, nice job wrangling the press yesterday." "Just call me Pompadour or Pomp for short. Honestly, my other name doesn't mean much to me." Then he shrugged slightly. "As for yesterday, I thought they were doing quite a hatchet job on Mercy, and I didn't think that was right. Anyways... after being stuck in the hospital for two days, with what was just a backache, I got this" he waved the workbook at his agent "monstrosity filled out."

Mandy thumbed through the questionnaire briefly, "thanks... I was noticing you seem to be moving ok today." Pompadour had already started for the door, "yeah. I found a cute little Asian girl to walk on my back... with clogs made out of cinder blocks. I'm not actually kidding... we also tried shiatsu with a sledgehammer. Being super tough means I need super massage." "huh... I guess that makes sense... hey, some of these answers are kind of slim!" Pompadour just waved as he left.

And now... the Ridiculous Questionnaire...
Introduction
Give a two or three word description of yourself (Describe your character's concept).
Sexy Hair God.
Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?
I generally use Pompadour regardless of social circumstances.
What is your full birth name?
My agent made arrangements to change my name, so it's not really relevant.
Where do you live?
I have a luxury condo in Mid-town.
Why do you live there?
I think the property belongs to the investment and banking firm that my agent hired to handle my assets. It is a nice apartment, but the cynical side of me says they pawned it off on me because the North-West view sucks.
What do you perceive as your greatest strength?
My hair... not just a personal statement, coveted by many... it's awesomely powerful.
What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?
Probably my inexperience as a hero. Failing that, my lack of modesty.

Physical Traits
How old are you (Chronological age as well as age category)?
24 (and I'm not sure what the second half of this question is asking)
What is your sex?
Male
What is your race?
American Mutt.
How tall are you?
6'3"
How much do you weigh?
What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?
My frame is about average, but I have a lot of muscle mass. I have a lot of definition, but not like a Roid-Head. I'm learning to move like a celebrity... meaning even my casual gestures are kind of posed, and I've learned to pause for photo-ops.
What is your skin colour?
Just a hint dusky. There's some Mediterranean in my background, and I even some black, about 4 or 5 generations ago.
What is your hair colour?
Black
What is your hair style?
Asking me that question constitutes an Epic Fail.
Do you have any facial hair?
I generally maintain a bit of stubble.
What is your eye colour?
Blue
How attractive are you?
It's hard to get a good look at me, because I'm usually covered in women.
What is your most distinguishing feature?
My hair is Legendary.
Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?
I have some awesome sleeve work, thanks to my buddy Trevor "Tank" Hancock.
What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?
Right
Do you resemble some currently known person?
I am frequently compared to Elvis or The Fonze, but no one has gone so far as to say that I look like either.
What kind of clothing do you wear?
I wear a lot of vintage or retro 50s Greaser stuff, mixed with a bit of 70s punk stuff.
Do you wear makeup?
I don't seem to need it; even when I'm on TV. I'm just that photogenic.
What sort of vocal tone do you have?
My fans say it sounds like caramel being poured over ice-cream. The haters say I sound smarmy. Still working on my singing voice, but I sound a lot like the guy from Against Me!

History
Where is your homeland?
For the last 300 years, my family has lived on the east coast... as far south as Florida, as far north as New Found Land.
Are you aware of its history?
I'm no expert, but I went to school...
Are you patriotic or a social outcast?
I don't see that as an either or situation. Can't outcasts be patriotic?
What are your opinion of home?
The previous administration made some very unpopular decisions at home and in the eyes of the world. I'm excited about the new administration, and making the USA a global hero again.
Where is your home town?
I live in Freedom City now.
Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?
I'm not really sure. I was a villain, but not because I wanted to be. If I get to choose, I choose to be a hero. But, I don't think it's exactly a secret that I want to be a celebrity... and being a superhero is part of how I'm going to achieve the fame I want.
How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?
I'm pretty much exactly what I say I am. If someone wants to "expose the truth" in the media, I'll fight fire with fire, and get my side of the story out there.
What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?
The truth is, I'm really not a bad guy. I think there are still people who haven't gotten the memo that The Sinister Pompadour has reformed... so the farther the truth spreads the better.
Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?
Without any false modesty, I'm one of the hottest men on the planet... and anyone who can see me knows I ain't lying. As for weaknesses... I would say I'm not what you'd call a pinnacle of self-discipline.
How have these scores affected your life so far?
Well, I got the looks with my super powers. I wasn't always this attractive... and suddenly everybody wants me. This is a new experience for me, and honestly, that lack of discipline might lead me astray. I think every young star that makes it big in Hollywood can relate to what I'm talking about.
What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?
I have the pleasure of being a 'true' American. There's no hyphens here, my family has been in the country too long to be anything but straight-up Americans. So... I'm not sure if I'm in the majority or the minority -I think I'm in a place where it doesn't matter.
Did this impact your outlook in any way?
I like to think it means I'm free of prejudice... but I don't think people generally acknowledge their prejudices.
How do you feel about other races?
Pretty much all of them are in my own make-up. My family has always been more interested in People than Races.
Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?
Really not. The only real traumatic event was the Mega Makeover fiasco.
Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.
Uhm... I got nothing.
What stupid things did you do when you were younger?
I don't really got... oh. Well, I went through a phase where I was stealing the page 3 girls from the UK paper in the library.
Which toys from your childhood have you kept?
When I left home for college I didn't really take any nostalgia with me. I don't really know what my parents may or may not have kept.
Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?
I don't really remember if there's any momentos that mean anything to me... and I don't know what's happened to them.
Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?
I'd just as soon my yearbook pictures didn't surface.
Are you who you claim to be?
There's a lot of smoke and mirrors. I have a good agent... but at the core, or at least somewhere under the gloss you can find the real me.
Do you have any sort of criminal record?
I was indicted for numerous criminal and federal crimes by a Grand Jury, but found not guilty due to mental incapacity. That doesn't mean stupid, it means I was suffering from a drug induced psychosis.
How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?
Honestly, I haven't really given it a lot of thought.

Family
Who were your parents?
Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?
What was their standing in the community?
Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?
How did you get along with their parents?
How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.
Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?
What was your birth position in the family?
List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.
Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?
Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?
Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

[a thick, heavy line is drawn through each of the above questions]
Here is, in a nutshell, everything you need to know about my family. My parents were good, regular people, and my siblings were good, regular (if typical) siblings. We had the White Picket Fence. However... when I became The Sinister Pompadour, they understandably moved away... names were changed. I don't know where they went... It's hard for me, because my experience really changed me. I'm not sure how I feel about my family, and they obviously aren't quite willing to trust that I'm cured of the mania that turned me into Sinister Pompadour.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?
That would be me.
If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?
I signed up for an extreme make-over show... and I got more than I bargained for.
Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?
My great-great-great grandmother ran away to Canada with the slave she helped to escape, so that she could live with him and raise a family. That was pretty scandalous for the times.
If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?
As above.
Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?
As I wrote earlier, I am proud that my family has always been pioneers in tolerance.
Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?
I'm way too young to worry about that stuff.
Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?
We'll see after I've grown up a bit.
What type of person would be your ideal mate?
Normally when guys write this, and they say they're looking for a double-joined bisexual girl without a jealous bone in their body, they're being kind of facetious... but that's actually what I'd need to see in a woman before I produced a rock and took a knee.

Relationships
Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?
Trevor "Tank" Hancock. He is a smart, solid guy. He's the one guy I know who truly knows the new, real, me.
What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?
After I stopped being The Sinister Pompadour, a lot of my perceptions had changed, and one of the things I knew I wanted was a tattoo. So, I went out to get one... but, I'm pretty much bulletproof, which means a normal tattoo needle can't touch me. When I snooped around, I was directed to see him. He's done all my Ink, and gave me more useful therapy than I got in the hospital.
Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?
That definitely applies to the Tank... except I can't really imagine him getting into trouble that was all that dire.
If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?
At a time when pretty much everyone should have been afraid of me, he was willing to be my friend.
Do you have any bitter enemies?
Nope.
If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?
Not applicable.
Have you defeated them before?
Not applicable
How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?
I think a barrage of 'alt-girls' (Roller Babes, Tat & Piercing Enthusiasts, Neo Pin-Ups) armed with snacks and Cherry Cola crashing my apartment would be devastating.
Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?
hmm... see below.
Who is your most trusted ally?
I'm going to have to say my Agent, Amanda (Mandy) Karlson. Not just because she's financial invested in my success or mere professionalism. When it comes to helping me succeed, she is driven because she's made it her goal. I think that if she fell on really hard times, and became a street person she would still be personally invested in my success.
Who do you trust, in general?
I'm not exactly a paranoid person, nor am I gullible. I'm willing to give anyone trust, until I have reason not to.
Who do you despise and why?
Despise is a pretty harsh word... I don't really despise... no. Wait. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here... if I got the chance, I would hit White Knight soooooo hard.
Name seven things you hate in others.
I don't think there's anything that I would go so far as to say I hate in others. I don't really like guys who have to be all competitive and I really don't like bigotry... but I understand that sometimes these things can't be helped. Certain traits, or combinations of traits can irritate the hell out of me though.
Is your image consistent?
I just got started, so it's hard to say... but I think that in the future I'll probably change my image. I think a lot of the 'greats' reinvent themselves fairly regularly.
Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?
Other than adjusting to different social situations, I don't think I do.
What would you die for?
I can think of situations that I might... but I can't really see myself in those situations.
What is the worst thing someone has done to you?
Arguably, the worst thing is also the best thing, and that was sign me up for Mega Makeover.
What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?
sigh... The line starts over there.
How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?
Haven't met too many yet. So far so good, I guess.
Have you lost any loves?
Well, I'm estranged from my family if that counts.
How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?
I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest.
Who would miss you should you go missing?
My Agent and my Tattoo Artist.
How close are you to your adventuring companions?
It's too early to say.
What do they not know about you?
I'm going to make a point about not talking about my family... It's either detail they don't need, or tear-jerk fodder.
Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?
I'm the Chief Executive Officer and President of the Me, Myself & I Club.

Personality & Beliefs
Do you, or did you, have any role models?
The role models I had aren't people who mean anything to me now. I'm not sure how that changed.
Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?
Gettin' repetitive over here...
Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?
The whole Sinister Pompadour thing changed a lot of my thoughts and opinions... so maybe I used to consider Paul Revere a hero, maybe now I don't care. That makes answering these questions about childhood role models very hard, because in a lot of ways I was reborn when the Raven's serum cured the Sinister part of my personality.
When did you decide to become an adventurer?
Oddly enough, it was something my agent suggested to me... and I fell into a real live super adventure before we could discuss details.
Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?
Honestly, I do expect to reap the celebrity rewards of superheroism... but I can do something most people can't. I can do some good in Freedom City.
What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?
I'm looking for Fame... and I think I would probably stop if I didn't think think it was "working" and that can mean I'm not getting the press I want, or that I'm not doing enough good... or even that I'm taking too many serious injuries.
Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?
I want a string of platinum records, and a string of famous and hawt girlfriends.
What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?
Recording my second record, and spanking my 6th (or so) model-starlet girlfriend.
What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?
You know, I'm a young man and I'm entering strange territory; celebrity, superhero... I think planning past the next year would be overly ambitious at this point.
If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?
Not applicable.
Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?
The Sinister Pompadour was an evil genius. My brain just doesn't work that way now. I can kind of remember how he thought, but I can't duplicate it... Sometimes when I'm asleep I have dreams... no, Nightmares about being that person again.
How do you react when this fear manifests itself?
Usually I wake up in a panic; sweating and freaking out... I remember waking up and writing down this chemical formula... I don't know what the heck it was supposed to do... but then I realized that, whatever it was, it was probably something horrible, so I burned it.
What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?
I'm someone who has relatively simple tastes suddenly blessed with a lot of income. I think the temptation would be to run out and buy a gold plated hummer... but I'm not going to go dine at Pharos, when what I really want is a hamburger.
Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?
I've got my funds set up as an annuity, so if I burn through my bank account today, I have more next week. I don't generally use up all my available money, so it usually accumulates. I think I've already established a charitable fund... I'll have to check into details.
Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?
My perspective is kind of screwy... I thought I could use my superpowers to gain a reasonable amount of wealth... but I won the "Lawsuit Lottery." I'm pretty well off, and I didn't have to do anything.
How do you generally treat others?
That's sort of a matter of opinion. Women fall into my bed way too easily. I could exaggerate the brutal truth to them: Not only will I kick you out in the middle of the night, I won't call afterwords and they'd still do it. They probably think that they're the one I'm going to fall in love with... so they get disappointed when I don't.
Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?
I tend to be pretty trusting, but I wouldn't say that I'm not reasonably cautious.
Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?
I used to be really introverted... once I became Pompadour, I became really extroverted.
Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?
That would dependent on whether you think my opinion of myself is unjustified.
What habits do you find most annoying in friends?
I don't really know... I'll get back to you if I notice something.
What are your most annoying habits?
I don't really know... I'll get back to you if someone tells me I have some.
Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?
Fundies make my scalp itch.
What is your favourite food?
I like me some classic drive-in. Big Stacked Burger and a Five Dollar Shake.
What is your favourite drink?
These answers may change, pending finalized endorsement contracts: I'm not too particular. If I'm out at a bar, I'll drink Miller Lite from the bottle, but that has as much to do with style as preference. For straight up taste, I like Cherry Coke.
What is your favourite treat (desert)?
Either vanilla ice-cream with strawberry sauce, or fudge brownies.
Do you favour a particular cuisine?
Classic American
Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?
I'm not likely to spend 4 hours nibbling on a 12 course meal, but I'm not in any hurray.
Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?
Not too mild.
Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?
I suspect as I go to higher end parties and get exposed to more culture... I'm going to be offered food that falls under the "Emperor's New Clothes" provision... just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's good.
What are your favourite colour(s)?
I kind of like Red.
Is there any colour that you dislike?
No. Who hates a colour?
Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?
I play a stand-up bass, and I really like it. It's the backbone of Rockabilly and Psychobilly music.
If you have a favourite scent, what is it?
uhm?
What is your favourite type of animal?
uhm?
Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?
Don't think so.
Is there anything that enrages you?
Lots of stuff makes me angry, but no particular thing pushes my berzerk button.
Is there anything which embarrasses you?
I always keep my cool.
Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?
Roughing is less than 3 stars.
Do you have a patron deity?
Uhm... maybe? I guess so.
Are you devout or impious?
I wouldn't say indifferent, exactly...
Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?
er...
What lengths would you go to defend your faith?
uhm...
Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?
hmm...
Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?
I have no idea.
Will you kill?
Not if I can help it.
When did you decide (or learn) that you would?
I don't know if I can.
When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?
I can understand that there are times when it would be, but I don't think that I'm the person that should be making that decision.
When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?
Most of them.
What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?
I know my limitations. I'm not the right person to make those calls... and it would be best to turn it over to someone who was.
What if it were your enemy?
That makes it easier to turn them over to justice.
What if it were your friend?
That makes it harder.
What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?
That makes it complicated... and we've already established I'm not a moral authority.
What would you do if something were stolen from you?
There's not a lot of stuff I have that can't be replaced.
What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?
I have people to handle that sort of thing.
What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?
I'd be looking for justice, I guess... in whatever nebulous way is best suited to this nebulous question.
What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?
Probably something gross.
What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?
Some creepy dude is always saying something like "Death isn't the worst thing that can happen to you." So, I kind of think it's not murder... but I'm not sure what it is.
How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?
I sometimes wish I could be convinced they were actually the right people for the jobs... or that the real rulers of the country aren't the faceless bureaucrats we never see.
Do you support the current government of your homeland?
Yes, but not fanatically.
If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?
I'll give them my vote and my voice, until they give me reason to do otherwise.
What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?
Democracy. Unless Matriarchy means rule by the hottest chick, I could get behind that.
Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?
My hair is as useful to me as my hands, if not more so. I'm as likely to use them as I am my hands, even if I'm not trying to show off that I have a special ability.
If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.
Well, there was this show...
Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?
Not that I know of.
What is your most treasured possession?
My bass is a custom piece, I'm thinking probably that.
If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?
Anything I write here is probably cliche... and the truth is you'll never know until you really are in that situation. This, also, has been a cliche.

Career & Training
Where and how were you educated?
I have a business diploma from a community college.
Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?
Yeah... I should get me some of that.
What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?
I doubt you're asking about college...
Is this person or institution still in existence?
Sure...
Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?
I got good grades.
Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?
I don't think I have any really unusual skills.
Have you ever done anything else for a living?
Not really.
How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?
Yeah... again, I should look into some sort of super-training.
Have you ever received any awards or honours?
Nothing really worth mentioning.
Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?
Most of the skills I have I just need to improve on.
Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?
This mostly makes me think of music, where no matter how popular you get, you will always turn into a babbling fan-boi around your influences and idols.

Lifestyle & Hobbies
When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?
I don't really have one... my life is just getting started, and I haven't really put it in order, or an order yet.
How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?
Interruptions mean something interesting is happening, and that's cool.
What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?
I like going to shows, and carousing... I'm also working on song-writing and improving my musical craft.
What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?
I need to explore that side of myself more. My days are an open book, and I need to find more lines for the pages.
How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?
I wear the same sort of stuff all the time.
What do you normally wear in bed at home?
When you have Egyptian cotton and silk blend sheets with a ridiculous thread-count, you sleep naked.
What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?
If some sort of escapade keeps me out past my bedtime, I probably will end up sleeping in my clothes.
Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?
Currently I don't wear anything... maybe I should check into some Bling.
Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?
I've never journeyed to Mordor... the closest I've been was a trip to Milwaukee to see a band called The Ring Wraiths.
What morning or evening routines do you normally have?
In the morning, I have breakfast. At night, I go to bed.
Do these change when you are adventuring?
I hope not. I like my breakfast and my sleep.
Travel: how do you get around locally?
I could zip through town on tendrils of hair... but I'm not really experienced with that yet. I have a custom street-rod that works pretty well.
Do you have a Last Will and Testament?
I'll have to check with my agent on that.
What does it say?
It ought to say something like: I got something to say! It's better to burn out... than fade away.

Miscellaneous
What would you like to be remembered for after your death?
I'm not sure. I wanted to be a star, through my music. This super hero thing is a new idea... so, I think I'm just going to say "yes." Next question...
What kind of threat do you present to the public?
None, I hope. I do worry that I might somehow remember how to think like the Sinister Pompadour... and that the Super Intelligence I had will still come with a side order of Psychopath.
If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?
I have a hunch that my hair would survive a nuclear blast at ground zero, even if the rest of me were scattered atoms.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:46 pm

IC: 3rd Page News

Mandy checked her newspaper, then double checked the front page. Frowning she opened up the paper and began to dig through it. Towards the back of the paper, she found a brief two-paragraph article about the liquor-store robbery. She drummed her fingers on her desk, and frowned. Oh, well... I guess it was 'just' a liquor store robbery -even if the perps were demons. At least they had mentioned that Pompadour and Mercy had stopped the robbery.

Something else on the page caught Mandy's eye... an add for Madame Li's Karmic Adjuster. It featured a picture of her client, Pompadour with an enormous smile on his face. Super Therapy for Super Heroes the ad was tagged. She checked her watch 9:17am -she resolved to call Pomp in a few hours... when he'd be out of bed.

Later...
"Pomp, we have someone using your likeness without a contract."
"What?! They're using my what?" Pompadour's voice was a bit fuzzy, he was only barely up.
"Like an endorsement. They've got a picture of you, and it's not a very good one, implying you endorse their product."
"Oh. Oh! Ok. Who is it?"
"Madame Li's Karmic Adjusters."
"Ooooooh... actually I do endorse their product. We should get something on paper, though... and get them a better picture."
"Alright, I'll get Gerald to give them a call."
"No, not Gerald. Kid gloves, please. I don't want Madame Li mad at me."
Last edited by Lord Fell on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”