Brightfire and Darklight

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Brightfire and Darklight

Postby Belial666 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Hello everyone and welcome to my world. This story follows the exploits of Concordant Haphazard Anonymous Opposition to Solicitors, a team of heroes (or villains - they are rather undecided on that point) led by the titular Brightfire and occasionally joined by her sister Darklight, two seventeen year old twin girls with superpowers. I'll be posting a chapter 3 times a week or so.

Comments and criticism are always welcome. Happy reading everyone!

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Brightfire and Darklight

Postby Belial666 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Chapter One: Business as usual

"F#@&ing ow!"
Plasma: an electrically neutral medium of positive and negative particles. I'll take my definition over the dictionary's as I scramble for cover behind the dustbin, thank you very much. The only advantage of being fired upon by plasma rifles is the lack of kaboom and drawing of police attention. On the other hand, the stench of scorched leather mingling with the alley's heavy smell of mildew reminded me of something else; slugthrowers don't burn your clothes off. One first-degree burn from the knee on down was already fading but my tailor-made, knee-high, red leather boot was not coming back.

Things had started well enough earlier tonight; Fix-It had forged the right papers and hacked the right systems to get me into the meeting place -a rather obscure nightclub- without trouble. I'd dealt with the practical side of prepartions; red leather boots, black miniskirt and top, fake gold jewelry and make-up, forgoing the usual ponytail and going for the "wildfire" look. Colored contacts - nobody normal has crimson eyes unless they pretend to be vampires - and a few touches of glamour finished the look. Two hours of meaningful interaction with legal adults in a seedy nightclub later, I'd located my two targets and followed them through the back door. That's when things started getting interesting...

"Red, it's Fix. The Usual Suspects confirmed the class 5. We gotta nail these guys."
I swore - silently - and ducked behind a handy dumpster. The alley was dark, damp and not at all empty. Besides yours truly, there were two tall, dark and dorky figures in the standard ringwraith attire of voluminous cloaks and faceless hoods, a short guy in his mid-fifties in an armani suit and bowler hat and a half dozen thugs of the Outfit. Humidity and heat were not usually a problem in Chicago and all things being equal -my sister's favorite phrase- the alley would have made for a fair meeting place. Unfortunately, the presence of a rather unstable energy source in the area had turned the snow to mud and fungi were having a field day. If this mission ruined my best party garb, my sister was in for some pain. I was not the team's stealth expert and stealthily tailing arms-dealers through back streets was not my MO. Crashing a nightclub and not getting thrown out was about my limit. The tall guys were handing over two cases of shiny tech stuff I did not recognize when I heard Fix-It's voice through the comm earrings again;
"My nanoscouts picked up some emmissions from those cases. It's more Nox tech, microfusion-powered. We can't let them have it!"
Unfortunately, the second transmission had been enough for the ringwraith-wannabes to pinpoint my location and they both turned, wielding, long, shiny, cylindrical objects. Regardless of what that said about their natural equipment, the azure flashes that came my way along with the sudden cracks of a whip or pint-sized thunderbolts were fairly effective. Most of them missed but one found me in the left leg while the other slagged a corner of the dumster and superheated drops of metal fell on my hair and top. Word to the wise; hundred-dollar silk doesn't do squat against liquid metal. Even as I jumped further into cover, dozens of tiny burn holes ruined my best party garb. Over the cracks of plasma rifles - or whatever the hell those things were - I could hear the human criminals escaping. Gritting my teeth and fantasizing about putting my sister's clothes through an incinerator, I made an executive decision.

"Hey, you suckers with the ubiquitously-shaped guns! You got till the count of three to..."
A plasma bolt melted its way through the dumpster and hit me between the eyes. That hurt for a moment, blinded me for a couple of seconds, and really pissed me off. Suddenly, the temperature rose by at least twenty degrees and electrical lights all over the place started flickering like mad. Fix's commlinks in my ears let go a tortured screech then died. And the dumpster was no longer barrier to my sight. I could see the rotting foulness inside it. I could see the two ringwraiths beyond, the things hidden under the layers of black cloth.
"Khab-al"
One word, calmly uttered in absolute confidence, and the plasma rifles turned to dust. The word was not strictly necessary but it was an act of will, and will provided the way. I stalked around the dumpster and towards the two confused nonhumans with the Glare burning through my colored contacts, the exhilaration of righteous anger and the flow of power lightening my steps.
"Do you people ever stop to consider the consequences of your own actions?" I said in indignation. Asphalt burned under my feet and a nearby wall cracked. "Or do you always disregard the choices of others?" One of the two figures took out a second, smaller but still cylinder-shaped gun and pointed it my way. I sighed and waved my left hand, indicating the two figures. They turned to dust...

Ten minutes later, I was half across the city and had found the replacement comm gear in the usual place. Putting it on, I leaned against a wall and almost collapsed.
"...ed! Red! What the hell..."
Fix's almost panicked voice made me sign and look down at the two bottles full of ash I was carrying. I let him shout in my ear for a minite, not confirming the connection was on, then relented. "That was a total distaster." I admitted.
"Did you go nova?"
I shook my head, concentrated on the cold of the building's wall slipping into my bones then realized he couldn't see me. With some effort, I put my mind into forming the words.
"I... no. But I almost melted the buildings on either side. And the solicitors... I dusted them Fix."
"It wasn't..."
"Yes, it was." I said firmly. "I am not one of those guys and gals that feed on rage, the power of love, heroic willpower or other such crap, Fix. I must choose what I do. And I am what I choose." I sigh once more. "We need my sister back"
"Think it will help?" I hear him say with doubt in his voice. Sibling fights can be ugly and ours are uglier than most. But...
"I don't know Fix. But I don't think anything else will..."

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am

Nine Months Earlier...

I held out the latest issue of the Usual Suspects for Linda's benefit, holding it up so that the picture of the underground vault with the ripped-off door was at a good angle for all the high-tech weapons and gadgets to be clearly visible.Third time this month Lin. We should be out there doing something about it.
My big sister, older all of seven minutes, turned one of her patented "Face of Judgement" scowls my way, piercing blue eyes framed by an angular face and black hair daring me to say just one more word. Being my twin, she should have had the same soft curves and healthy complexion as I did just like she matches my six feet and a hundred and seventy-one pounds. But she'd always been the silent, brooding type and ever since "Mighty Mage" died, her once-impish features have grown harder and she barely speaks anymore. At least we don't need to eat, or she'd be as cadaverous as the latest fashion of supermodels.
Shut! Up!
Yeah, real eloquence there, sis. I roll my eyes, a snort trying to hide the worry in my voice. We need to get out more and those guys? We could totally take them. If you can't stand parties like a normal girl our age, you can vent your frustrations by beating people up. It's what every teen with superpowers does nowadays.
She thinks about it for a moment, fiddles with the dirty black nightie she's been slowly wearing down over the past month and shakes her head. We promised, Red. No hero business.

I give her a smile, a bit of sadness creeping into my own expression as we remember. Mighty Mage, heroic identity of Jonathan Emrys, was the real deal; someone who had seen all the power games, the injustice and the screwed-up way the world worked and said "Not on my watch!". Sometime around World War two he'd entered the hero business and for nearly six decades was one of few shining lights in a universe of black and grey. And after he went into retirement, he spent a decade and a half raising my sister and I away from that world, exacting more than one promise that we'd never try for heroes ourselves. I never asked the old man why. And now I probably never would. But while I kept my promises, some things needed doing.
Heroes? Us? The Bastion would have sabertooth tigers, not kittens, if we applied for an audition. I had something more realistic in mind.
I held up again the latest issue of the Usual Suspects so she'd get the idea.
Here's a bunch of guys that instead of punching villains in the face, they gather all the info they can find, borrow or steal and publish it online. Who has what weakness, who builds what kind of robot soldiers and so on. Quite a few villains went down just because the heroes knew where to punch, you know.
So we go for the info? I guess that fits with our kind of...
Naah. Lots of people already go for the info and blogging isn't my kind of fun. Besides,we promised not to do hero stuff. I say we go blow things up and steal villains' stuff. Villains do it for fun and profit - why can't we?
Because it's nuts? she protested with a frown that soon turned into an expressionless mask. Her being my twin and my having to suffer through sixteen years of sisterly interaction helped me see through it, of course.
So?

She sighed, fidgeted and looked down at the dirty nightgown she hadn't bothered to change out of for days in a row.
I'm in. What does one wear for destruction of property?

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Bravo! More! More! More!

Diamond
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Diamond » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

Damn, this is really good stuff. The first sentence of the first part of the story was really fun, really made me want to read the rest. :)

Return to “M&M Story Hour”