Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 10

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 3

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 am

Ch. 4: Wheels within wheels-

The woman watching the breaking dawn from Martin Curie's assigned quarters in the Presidential Residence was not happy. She could have been considered handsome, attractive even, if not for her dour mien. She was tall, blonde, blue-eyed, with classically sculpted features. High cheekbones, perfect jawline, wide, expressive mouth and aquiline nose, her face was the perfect representation of what european aristrocracy should look like. In the sweltering heat of the Somalian north, she did not sweat. Her conservative suit, complete with jacket and knee length skirt looked freshly laundered. Even the white labcoat worn over it all was spotless. She was the very picture of perturbed perfection.

Running her fingers over the stone windowsill, she sneered. "Oh Martin, just look at this. It could have been so much better."

With a deep sigh, she looked toward the steel framed bed, with its thin mattress, roughspun linens and ancient pillow. "Instead of ruling the world, we have this. Instead of our magnificent floating island, administered by the best and brightest of our kind, we have this horrid little domain, founded by an imbecile made of candy and his no account cohorts."

Tapping her lips with long, elegant fingers, the woman contemplated her surroundings yet again. her face was perfectly composed, but in her eyes there was a hint of something. Envy perhaps. She knew, as well as Martin did, that this was no simple Neo-Sapien homeland. Normal humans held positions of authority here. No matter how despotic the West was making this out to be, these people were trying desperately to strike a balance between freedom and societal responsibility. "This Vladislav is insidious Martin." She whispered. "He must be discredited and slain or the status quo will surely change. If that happens, who will need you and your precious Vindicators?"

A smile flitted across her lips momentarily, then she doubled over in pain. Gurgling sounds, like half spoken words fell from her lips like gibberish. Her perfect body began to bubble and distort. Labcoat and dress suit swirled together like colors on a painters' palette. For long, agonizing seconds, the amorphous thing which had been the aristocratic woman quivered, moaned and slopped about. Finally it resolved itself into the form of a young man. Martin Curie, alias Fluxx lay gasping and shaking on the stone floor.

"Damn! Damn you to 'ell mozer! I destroyed you for ze good of mankind! Do me ze favor of stayeeng dead." Sitting up, he ran a trembling hand through his unkempt, dark hair.

"Damn you to 'ell!" He whispered. In the ragged silence, he could have sworn he heard a voice reply; only if you come with me.

Forcing himself to his feet, he squinted at the morning sun. Calming his trembling, he closed his eyes and concentrated. At his mental command, his body covered itself in his Vindicators' uniform. he had let yesterday spin out of control, but he still had a job to do. Vladislav Radikovich had been declared a terrorist, indicted of crimes against humanity by the world court at the Hague. In response, the UN Security Council had voted to send the Vindicators after him. Without him, his little empre would collapse and the world would be without a country for SPB's. Fluxx was the leader of the Vndicators'. He would see the job finished.

With renewed determination he swung the door open, only to behold Jack Rexroth, also called Greystone leaning against the wall across the hall from his room. "Mornin' Martin. Goin' somewhere?"

The challenge in Jack's tone was unmistakable. For a long time, when the pair were at the New Vindicator's Academy in Vienna, there had been an unresolved question between them. Who was more powerful? "Oui. I was 'oping breakfast might be available Jack." The leader of the Vindicators replied, not rising to the bait.

Martin knew the question of power was misleading. Both he and Jack were incredibly versatile and had potent abilities, but circumstances often turned the question of power on its head. Martin could not have stopped cruise missiles like Kasimir did, yet in close quarters, he would likely prevail over the gravity controller. Still, both their abilities paled before the things that culd be accomplished by wealth, celebrity or a combination of the two. Viktor had taken his families' small vinyards and turned it into a global powerhouse, the might of which he used to crush petty crime lords the world over. Lex used his band "Gods of Metal", to direct the energies of its youthful fanbase toward global good works.

He remembered how Lex had laughed off previous attempts to get him to join the Vindicators. "Why should I go out and do something that eff-ing stupid?"

"We do good works. It would benefit mankind." Martin had responded reasonably.

"Ha! Our viral concert to raise money for hunger relief, raked in 2.5 million dollars US, for Global Second Harvest! Which I matched. Me! Out of my own eff-ing pocket, and I didn't even feel a pinch. Never underestimate the power of righteous tunes and horny teenage girls."

"Zat may be true, but what 'appens when zere eez a poerful SPB zat requires oppozeeng? "Ow are 'orny teenagers going to 'elp?"

Lex had face-palmed himself at that, and before Martin could allow himself to believe his former classmate had accepted his reasoning, responded. "Right. Like when you guys took down Iconoclast. Wait a minute... i remember now! Normal freakin' people took down Iconoclast! it was the Russians right? Finally tracked him down and spiked his drink with some sort of radioactive poison, like they did with that dude in England. Yeah, a neo-sapien powerful enough to tear tanks in half with his flippin' mind, brought down by being slipped a poison mickey! So...tell me how the Vindicators are game changers?"

Less than 18 months later, Martin would try again. This time he needed people to go after Vlad. Lex didn't even ask questions. "The psycho? Sign me up."

Now Martin followed Jack to the dining area as considered the fluidity and changeable nature of power. Almost anyone could wield some sort of power. What separated the successful from the failures was how they did it. Were they judicious in their choice of adversaries? Did they properly husband their might? Did they make allies that covered their own short-comings? Martin was secure in the power he wielded, but he had to wonder how much it would benefit him here.

"Zo, 'as Vlad returned?" Martin asked conversationally. The question was direct, fearless. It would perhaps, unnerve them that he was unafraid, even in their place of power.

"Nope." Jack answered casually. "He's s'posed t' be back late today though."

"I'm going to 'ave to arrest heem you know."

"You did make a production of that yesterday. Nobody's forgotten."

"You do not zound conzerned."

"That's 'cause I'm not Martin." Jack said, stepping aside so Martin could enter the dining area ahead of him.

"I am 'ere on ze auzority of ze United nations Jack. You should be conzerned." Martins' voice had a sudden edge.

"We are not a UN member state Fluxx, you have no jurisdiction here." A husky voice in liltingly accented english interrupted.

Martin turned to behold the blackest woman he'd ever seen. Her skin was practically the color of coal, and her eyes were equally dark. She was rail thin, with a shaven head. She wore the green and gold uniform of Vlads' chosen.

"I am afraid you 'ave me at a disadvatage madamoiselle."

"My name is Aziza, but you may call me Gorrax."

"Very well Gorrax...zis eez an unrecognized ztate, zo ze UN eez violating no laws een asserting auzority 'ere."

Now Jack spoke. "Djibouti recognizes us." He said, naming their neighbor to the northwest. "So does Venezuela. Oh...and we're pretty close to a treaty with Lebanon. Hezbollah really will do just about anything to tweak the noses of the US and Israel."

"Zat...eez zomething I was unaware of."

Jack grinned a savage grin now. "Venezuela is a UN member state right? A member of the UN thinks we're a real country."

Martin rubbed his cheeks in exasperation. This had to be maneuver orchestrated by Kasimir. The United States supported the Vindicators mission, so Venezela would, of course, oppose it. Likely enough, last night the German had phoned his South American allies and soon they would speak to the Russians, who purchased oil from them them. the Russians were a permanent member of the Security Council and they could veto the intervention order, recalling the heroes to their European base. Martin knew, without looking at him, Jack could guess at the conclusions he'd reached.

"It's been nice seein' ya Marty. Don't let the door smack ya in the ass on the way out."

Martin nodded. "Well played Jack. Quite clever."

"We are not all simpletons Mr. Curie." Gorrax added.

"Indeed. Well zen, I shall gazer my team and wizdraw."

Now Kasimir, the German expatriate, whom Martin believed to be the true power here, entered the room. Unlike jack and Aziza, he was dressed casually in a loose cotton shirt, beige linen slacks and sandals. His sightless eyes were, as always, hidden behind dark glasses, though the rope burn scar on his neck was visible. "Before you leave, Vlad wanted me to give you this." he said, holding an envelope out to Martin.

Curious about this new development, the Vindicator opened the envelope immediately. Removing the folded letter within he read it silently. A bemused smile crossed his face. Folding the letter back up and tucking it into it's envelope, he sat at the table.

"I zink we shall be ztaying after all." He announced to shocked looks. "Now...what eez for breakfast?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 4

Postby Arkrite » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Never underestimate the power of horney teenage girls ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

So sayeth the rockstar. BTW, I hope you don't mind the band name. Just a little homage within and homage to Sven & the gang.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 pm

I thought it was quite amusing.
It also amuses me how Sven seems to have gained a life of his own sometimes ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Ch. 5: Knight of the Living Dead-

Lex was certain he'd run from one side of Africa to the next and back again. Desert, savannah, jungle, city and farmland both lush and fallow had felt his passing. Finally, on a beach looking out over a vast stretch of water, he collapsed. He really had no idea where he was or how he was going to get home, if that was even possible now. His breath came in labored gasps, sweat drenched the uniform he'd never thought to don again and his muscles twitched and spasmed like mad. That much sustained use of his powers hurt grievously. Lights danced in front of his eyes and darkness closed in from the edges. His heart was beating like a trip hammer, and with a wracking, painful squeezing sensation in his chest constricting his lungs, he passed out.

It was dark when he was found. Littered around his prostrate form were the electrocuted corpses of hundreds, perhaps thousands of insects. Despite the hours that had passed, small tendrils of power reached out from him like miniature lightning strikes. Out of the surrounding brush, a small group of figures emerged. Leading the way was a boney youth. Tall and thin as he was, he bore an uncanny resemblance to a stick figure. Following immediately behind was a dusky skinned woman. She was shorter than he, with a heart shaped face, seductively expressive eyes, full lips and a cascade of curly, blue-black hair. Her body was lushly proportioned and her manner of dress, scandalous. Jewelry adorned her wrists and ankles, a necklace of shark teeth and fangs from predatory cats, hung around her neck. For the conservative, muslim residents of Somalia, it was the bikini top and breech cloth, seemingly of leopard skin which made up her outfit that was so offensive. she looked like the embodiment of a B-movie jungle girl.

The local boy stopped and pointed, not wanting to get closer. The woman smiled a hotly seductive smile in response to his nervous chatter. Her feral eyes were alight with dangerous intent when they settled on him. His imprecations died out with a squeak under that powerful gaze. he started to quiver in anger and fear, assuming he was not going to be rewarded for his efforts, but fearing the woman too much to demand anything. Suddenly, she laughed, a rich, throaty laugh and scattered a handful of gold coins at his feet.

As the stick figure of a man picked through the undergrowth for his prize, the woman motioned her assistants forward. With awkward, shuffling gates, they broke from the brush. Moving around the local, they picked up lex and placed him on a litter they carried. Despite suffering wicked electrical burns, they moved with a langorous slowness. Within a minute of reaching the unconscious Vindicator, they had him safely positioned on the canvas and hefted to shoulder height. Ignoring their former guide, they shuffled back into the brush, led by the mysterious woman.

The first sensation Lex was aware of was the feel of silken sheets against his skin. Rising to consciousness from the black pit of oblivion, the sensation confused him. That, and the feel of a very modern mattress and a downy pillow. A pillow and freshly laundered sheets. His first impulse was to snuggle in close, wrapping himself in the comfort...then his eyes snapped open.

Pain. Pain is what he should've been feeling. Mind numbing, muscle cramping, body wracking pain. He should've been grinding his teeth so hard his gums bled. He should've been screaming his throat raw after the exertion he'd put himself through. He should've been, but he wasn't. He felt perfectly fine. That more than anything else had jolted him awake. For him to feel fine, much less having ended up in a comfortable bed, scared him. That meant someone could track him. Whoever it was, they were well versed enough in what his powers were to neutralize the after effects.

Just as he was looking about the bed chamber, his panic building, the door opened and he froze. Anyone who had seen any news reports in the last year knew who had just entered. An imposing figure in emerald and gold enameled armor. The face plate obscured by the voluminous hood was cast in the visage of some demon. Lex had seen similar on his concert tours in Japan and India, usually on the mempo of some samurai's armor. the bulk of the armor distorted the man's proportions. Actually, Lex had no idea whether it was a man or not under there. Despite being petite compared to the Portal armor, it was still impressive. Lex suspected the suit packed considerable firepower for its' size. Over the last year, the Vindicators had faced off against this criminal multiple times. He, or she, had stalemated them each time and escaped. Some reporter had coined the name Tyrant for the armored individual, and it stuck. Lex was suddenly, even more aware of his nudity under the sheets. His vulnerability.

Walking to the foot of the bed, the feared international terrorist gazed at him from behind his alloy mask, and spoke; "Welcome to the land of the conscious Lex. I hope you're well rested."

Despite the james Earl Jones, Darth Vader tone distortion, the voice was polite and considering the circumstances, remarkably non-threatening.

"What?"

"I said, I hope you're well rested, Lex."

"You know me?"

The man sighed, a hydraulic hiss of a sigh. "Lex, please don't be a dolt. Yes, I know you. We spent three agonizing years as classmates."

The neo-sapien occasionally known by the heroic moniker, Current frowned and glared at the armored man. Mentally, he ran through the list of people who attended the NVAE with him...then it hit him. "Jason?"

"Very good Lex. I'm glad to see the rock and roll lifestyle hasn't completely left you bereft of reason."

"Jason...you're Tyrant?"

The armored man snorted in disgust. "I truly loathe that title, but yes, I am the person the media has dubbed Tyrant. It's a stupid name. I haven't subjected anyone to tyranny. Now I do have an understandable fixation with death, being a necromancer, so my personal chosen alias is Grave."

Lex took a moment to look around. Despite being a man on the run, jason appeared to be doing pretty well for himself. "Jason this room looks like it belongs in a castle."

"Again, I find myself somewhat stunned at your level of cognitive capacity, given your rockstar status Lex... or is it Current? You are, or rather you were, in uniform."

The neo-sapien musician pulled the sheet a little tighter around his body. "Yeah, we're gonna talk about my clothes shortly. Right now I'm curious as to how you, a man wanted in like, fifty countries, has a castle. How do you have a castle and the Vindicators haven't found you yet?"

Lex could almost see the sly grin through the metal face mask as Jason answered, with casual smugness. "Because they aren't looking in the right place. This castle is Aix a Chapelle, the castle of Charlemagne from the myths Lex. It was never actually built."

"You live in a make believe castle?"

Jason chuckled. Through the voice distorter, Lex found it to be a sinister sound. "Yes and no. You see, all these mythical constructs exist, in a very similar fashion to Tulpas or ghosts. Psychic energy, in the form of belief or hope or wonderment is invested in them. Places widely imagined in myth, like Camelot, are the most real, the strongest. Places like mine exist precariously...on the verge of non-existence, because fewer people still fantasize about it."

"Uh huh. So...how did you find me and where are my clothes?"

"Finding you was easy Lex. I knew the Vindicators were coming to Free Somalia, so I've been scrying you. When you took off like you did, I simply asked Siam to locate you."

"Siam?"

"It's difficult to explain in terms you'd understand, but simply put, a Djinn."

"Does she come with tonic?"

Jason suppressed the urge to sigh over Lex's attempted humor. "Anyway, Siam pinpointed your location, then I had a local confirm it. After we were certain, Siam took a troop of zombies to retrieve you. Alina would have been faster, but I need the Ghuls for other things."

"Alina?" Lex rasped, hoping against hope that it was another coincidence.

"Yes Lex...Alina. You do remember how fast she is right?"

Lex's mouth felt dry and his palms suddenly sweaty. The world was beginning to spin. "How fast she WAS Jason. She's dead."

"A minor inconvenience, I assure you." The armored man pronounced. then he turned and beckoned toward the hallway beyond the room. "Come in and say hello my dear."

And in a single moment, Lex's worst nightmare was given life. Alina Amanar had been his first proclaimed love. A fellow student at the New Vindicators' Academy Europe, she had been murdered by Dale Rexroth, the villainous neo-sapien also known as Therianthrope. Torn open like cheap wrapping paper, she'd been left to die in a muddy field. Yet...she stepped into the room, seemingly whole and clothed in the uniform of Vlad's rebels.

"Hello Lex."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 5

Postby Arkrite » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello nightmare fuel!

Oh my. I can't see that ending well.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 am

Oh, Jason. Someday you'll be a good guy. When you're not trying to be a dictatorial President or leading an army of the undead. Course, that's part of his charm.

The real question is what is his connection to Vlad?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Jason's connection to Vlad will be revealed during the course of the story. You are making a small assumption, in painting Jason with the black brush of villainy. Just because the status quo loving nations of the world hate you, you aren't necessarily a villain. Nor does practicing necromancy necessarily make Jason a villain. Perhaps Jason will never be more than an anti-hero, but, he isn't necessarily a villain. Nor is he out of surprises. :twisted:

EDIT: I'm trying to tell this tale in 15 chapters or less...I'm not 100% sure I'll succeed.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Horsenhero wrote:EDIT: I'm trying to tell this tale in 15 chapters or less...I'm not 100% sure I'll succeed.

I can live with that.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Due to unforeseen, RL complications, I'm awaiting approval from Michuru before continuing this tale.

I did a bad thing and until Michuru tells me everything is allright, posting further chapters would seem disrespectful.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 am

Horsenhero wrote:Due to unforeseen, RL complications, I'm awaiting approval from Michuru before continuing this tale.

I did a bad thing and until Michuru tells me everything is allright, posting further chapters would seem disrespectful.

Like I said, it was real life drama, man. I'm good. Please keep going.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Gladly. I'm having fun with this.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Chapter 6: Nephilim at the Gate-

With another sunset imminent, Otso and Beatrice roused themselves from their bed. They rarely spoke at length when in their chambers. To the casual observer, it might seem as if their relationship had grown stale, their love cold. The casual observer would be mistaken. As they moved about the shared quarters, they caught each others' gase and exchanged small touches, as if involved in a discreet, subtle minuet.

Exiting their room, they shared one quick kiss before heading to their respective posts. Beatrice shouldered her rifle and started the arduous trek through the building to her tower perch. Otso on the other hand descended to ground level, to begin his mobile patrol. On the way down he assumed the massive leonine form he was most famous for in these parts. The human soldiers he passed sketched him rapid salutes, which he returned. Occasionally it still struck him as strange that these men so readily accepted him as their commander.

Once outside, he began his circuit of the compounds' perimeter. While technically within the city of Baki, the Presidential Residence was located on the outskirts, far from most other homes. The location had been one of many things Vlad was adamant about. Kas had objected, as had Aziza and Fathia, though for different reasons. Vlad had insisted they could not even have the appearance of using human shields. Jason had backed Vlad in this argument and that had been enough to get everyone else to agree. Afterward Otso remembered there had been a quick confrontation between Vladislav and Theoris Naa, the geokinetic codenamed Ikey.

"How did you become so smart? What makes you so sure about this?" She had demanded to know.

Vlad had been unflappable. "I am not so smart, I simply pay attention to how the world works."

"Teach me."

"Oh, I intend to teach all of you. I won't be around forever you know."

Thinking of the end of that conversation. Otso frowned. Vlad was late returning from his diplomatic mission. In fact, he was now into his second day of being late. His thoughts were on the verge of treading down dark paths when he caught sight of Viktor leaning against the compound wall, his eyes fixed on a blonde woman down the street. As Otso stared, she turned into the waning light. Ellen. As casually as he could, Otso ambled over to where the Spaniard loitered against the tan stone.

"Good evening Viktor."

The tall, lanky man turned and regarded Otso carefully, as if weighing the liklihood of violence. Finally, he simply nodded and returned to watching the British woman. "Good evening Otso. That's a new look since we last met. It looks good on you."

Otso chuckled. In his werelion form it had undercurrents of a deep throated purr. "Yes, it seems my powers were slightly...different than I'd originally thought. Are you babysitting Ellen or planning a conquest?"

Now it was Viktor's turn to chuckle. "Otso, I am a happily married man. I have no lustful designs on Ellen. Besides, I have two lovely young, energetic, imaginative, not to mention undisfigured mistresses back home. There's only so much affection one man can share."

The tawny cat-man scowled, not amused by Viktors' cavalier attitude. With a slight edge to his voice he persisted. "So why are you watching her?"

Once again the tall, handsome Vindicator studied the Fin for long moments, weighing how much he should tell him. Again he shrugged, as his personal ambivalence of the consequences won out over any orders requiring decorum. "Martin asked me to watch her while we are here. He's concerned about her motives for volunteering for this mission."

Just then, some children ran up to the athletic blonde, marveling over her pale skin, waist length braid and face obscuring mask. Viktor took advantage of the distraction to stop speaking and turn away. He didn't make it two steps before a meaty paw landed on his shoulder.

"Why would Martin be worried Viktor?"

Viktor DeGallow, also known as Impasse stopped and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. This was the moment of truth. He could spill the beans on Ellen or he could use his powers of unstoppable flight against the werebeast. In days gone by, Viktor would gladly pit his strength against Otso's. These days, with a globe spanning business to run and his syndicate busting operations to manage, Viktor was far more discriminating in his use of force.

"Very well my friend, I'll tell you...but before you get too excited, remember I'm watching her to counter any... misbehavior."

Golden eyes simply stared at Viktor expectantly. Viktor had obviously changed since their days at the academy. Though not yet past his mid-twenties, his handsome face held both a hardness and a weariness that bespoke a life of painful choices. Moreso, now unlike when they were in school, the Spaniard seemed comfortable with the weight of his responsibilities. His voice was soft, but commanding when he spoke.

"You see, over the past few years, Ellen has become more and more withdrawn. Back when we were in school her fragile psyche was supported by friends...and of course, Vlad. After the final confrontation with Laputa, when she was injured, she withdrew from everyone except Eve Robbins."

"Even then, the voices were intensifying. Still, according to her psychiatric evaluations and Dr. Yavorshak's notes, her relationship with Eve was holding back the worst of the...issues Nephilim are cursed with. Then came the accident where Eve died. Coincidentally, that was about the time the UN began to have suspicions of SPB involvement in Somalia. Ellen started getting regular counseling at that point. Not that she wanted to mind you, but without it she was forbidden to participate in any Vindicators missions. Other than the counselor, she had completely withdrawn from normal human interaction."

Both men watched as the masked Vindicator and the children interacted. The children seemed to be trying to tell Ellen something, but language was proving to be a significant barrier. After silently observing for a few minutes, Viktor continued his tale.

"She's on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants, and since Eve's death, it's suspected she's cutting. No one knows for certain. She sent Martin to the maze when he asked her about it. When she's off duty, she stays in her apartment and sings to herself. When she sings though, it isn't just her voice that's heard. You can hear the choir singing with her. Needless to say, the apartments around hers at the Citadel are unoccupied. If her powers were not so useful, she'd have been sidelined by Martin long before this, I'm certain."

Pulling a pack of cigarettes from his shirt pocket, Viktor tapped one out and lit it up, taking a long drag before continuing. "When Magnitude retaliated against those NATO warships, Ellen volunteered to be on the mission team. She told Fluxx and Crusader that if Vlad had abandoned her to become a terrorist again, it was her job to put an end to it."

"Vlad didn't abandon her. She rejected him after her injury proved resistant to any attempts at healing." Otso protested.

Impasse nodded in understanding. "You know this. I know this, and if the battle against the Fomor had not depleted the ranks of available Vindicators, she would probably have been left behind."

"Hearing all this saddens me Viktor. I always liked Ellen."

As the two men spoke, one of the children pushed an illustrated magazine, akin to a graphic novel into ellen's hands. The little brown fingers tapped anxiously on a picture. Looking down, Maze was stunned to see her picture, or at least an illustration representing her on the well worn pages. Before she had a chance to react, there was a loud crash from a nearby alley and wooden crates of garbage spilled onto the open street.

Ellen's eyes flared with yellow fire, and a flaming rapier burst into existence in her hand. Without thought, she moved between the children and the dark alley. As she moved, so did Impasse and Atavist. Lining up in a wedge formation, Ellen in the middle, the trio prepared to face any potential threat. Just then, an enormous reptilian figure pushed out of the garbage strewn path and collapsed heavily to the dirt.

"Nilotocus!" Otso roared, surging forward.

The lion man knelt down over the humanoid crocodile, his eyes wide over the brutal punishment the man had taken. Great, bloody wounds covered his body. the kind of wounds caused by heavy calibre arms fire. His right arm was fractured in at least three places. Placing his hands on his former enemy, now friends' abdomen, Atavist could feel the swelling and heat from internal bleeding.

"They ambushed us!" Niloticus coughed out, gripping the leonine heroes' wrist. "Got Fathia. Got Vlad."

As his fellow Abolitionist slipped into unconsciousness, Otso felt a cold chill run up his spine. Looking back at Ellen, he saw hellfire streaming from her eyes and mouth. A wordless snarl, echoed by a demonic choir issued forth.

Viktor scowled. "Just when you think things can't get any worse."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 6

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:06 pm

So Otso can turn into all kinds of animal-man hybrids now? That's pretty cool.

And poor Ellen. In mainstream Oubliette universe and this one, she gets a pretty raw deal.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 6

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Yeah, some of the characters are pretty much as they've always been...just more experienced and powerful. Some have changed as their powers have developed (Otso, Jason) and others have just gotten screwed even worse than the norm.

Hopefully, as chapters come out and the story works toward its' climax, I'll be able to dedicate the proper attention to each PC, and all the important NPC's. Along the way I also hope to tell a decently intriguing tale.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”