Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 10

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 10

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Before I get into the story proper, I feel there are some things that need 'splainin'. First...this is a horribly, egregious display of fanfic. Deal with it. Second, the idea comes from a discussion that happened on the OOC thread of the New Vindies pbp...wherein the creator of the Oubliverse pretty much dared me to write this. Thirdly, if you feel I don't treat your character well during this escapade...sorry, but, every character is getting treated in accordance to the storyline and how I perceive them. You may feel free to curse me with a thousand deaths, but, that's the way it goes. Fourth, this story features direct character analogs, not the "once removed" sort of designs I used in "Infinite New Vindicators". Like that story, once I reach the end, I may post builds of the new characters introduced for this story. Fifth, this tale is meant in no way to affect the events in any of Michuru's games, it's merely me playing around. Sixth, I have no idea exactly how long this will take to tell. That depends on two things...how long I can stretch the plot and still have it be interesting and how much enthusiasm there is for the tale.

Now, let's begin shall we?

Chapter 1: A foreign, but not alien, land

Free Somalia was a beautiful territory. It stretched from the shoreline near the mouth of the Gulf of Aden, and covered the entirety of the Awdal province, pushing into Woqooyi Galbeed on the inland side. Ethiopia bordered it to the south and Djibouti to the west. Both countries kept significant military assets in place near the border, for Free Somalia was an expansionist state. Not that the rulers of that state ever allowed their expansion to violate the recognized borders with their neighbors, but the people of those countries were not inclined to be trusting. Djibouti especially so, since the capitol, also called Djibouti lay within twenty miles of the border.
Even respecting the established border, the young territory covered something in the neighborhood of 100 square miles of what was once, lawless land. And Free Somalia was indeed young. The international community only became aware of the expanding regime in early 2016, and its' existence set off a firestorm of debate and concern. The first active steps in founding the state were actually taken in 2014, in the seaside township of Saylac. The first signs something was changing was the slowdown in pirate activity. In the beginning that only garnered minimal attention, after all pirate groups often fought amongst themselves, and during those conflicts piracy diminished. This was different. First new piracy out of the area stopped, then the hostage ships and crews were released en masse.
That action was the first blatantly atypical move taken by the regime rapidly establishing itself. Then ships began to come across the wreckage of pirate skiffs and pirate motherships were discovered aflame. Now the rest of the world started to truly take notice. World intelligence agencies searched in vain for a warlord and an army. All their efforts were for naught, until January 2016, when a Russian spy plane filmed footage of a battle between a group of bandits and a Bearman partnered with a young, tribal girl who was wreathed in flames and blasted flares that literally cooked her enemies. Now the questions surrounding this new force in the broken country were partially answered. Who needed a large fighting force when you had SPB's? The Vindicators were immediately contacted.
When the call went out, it just so happened the world's super powered champions were caught up in a struggle against Balor, Lord of the Winter Sky, and his Fomor. Despite fielding one of the most powerful line-ups the Vindicators had ever had, driving their enemies back into fearie took the better part of a month. Not only that, but, it resulted in Cornelis Nootebom, known as Apex and Tyson Noble, alias Backlash being hospitalized.
Unfortunately, that gap in response time to this newest threat allowed for mistakes to be made. Mistakes that now had the international community up in arms in outrage and fear. Still, political divisions made unified action impossible. So it was, that with the situation on a razor's edge, the Vindicator's dashed from one life threatening situation to another.
The city of Baki was the capitol of Free Somalia. It was from here that major decisions concerning the governance of the young country were issued. It was here the Vindicators were coming. The man on the roof of the Presidential Residence sensed there jet approaching from miles away. This visit almost certainly precursed violence. It would take delicate negotiating to avoid it. Sighing, he considered the chances of diplomacy actually succeeding. The odds were not good.
Keying the communicator in his uniform, he called the chief of the household staff: "Lawrence, we're about to have company. Please turn on the landing lights at the helipad."

A voice answered him, speaking French with a lilting, North African accent. "A helicopter sir? Perhaps we should sequester the staff in the bunker?"

"That shouldn't be necessary Lawrence. Unless my senses are mistaken, it's the Vindicators' jet on the way. they won't start a conflict around non-combatants. They've got VTOL, but, I'd prefer they use the pad, otherwise they're going to ruin Olathe's gardens."

"As you say sir." The voice responded.

"Don't call me sir Lawrence, I work for a living." The man on the other side of the communicator link didn't respond. The young man really didn't expect him to. Lawrence was educated, efficient, loyal and as far as anyone could tell. completely devoid of a sense of humor.

Like many of the newer buildings in Baki, the Presidential Residence, it was far too small to be a palace and far too pedestrian to be a mansion, was relatively bland looking. Seemingly hewn completely out of stone, it had the appearance of a warehouse sized bunker. It would have been nice if it could be fancier, but, its' appearance couldn't be helped. Theoris had immense power, but limited knowledge of construction. Running his fingers over the smooth, stone surface, he set his mind to the task at hand. Powering up the landing lights took no time at all, but, by the time it was done the roar of jet engines could be heard.
The futuristic jet circled, slowed and then began a steady descent toward the lit pad. The man waiting allowed a flicker of a smile to cross his lips. Viktor must be at the controls. At least violence was not the immediate plan or Crusader would have already levelled the building. Still, even if this mission was one of peace, there would be tensions. Especially given recent events.
Before the jet had even finished landing, a small band of of people attired similarly to himself, in green and gold poured forth from the residence. Of course the cloak that snapped behind him, in the wind kicked up by the landing jets was a personal affectation. he'd adopted it during his time at the New Vindicators Academy in Vienna, and kept it ever since. He didn't need to turn to count the people massing behind him. Ten locals being trained as police and four of his fellow Neo-Sapiens. It should look daunting enough to enforce a temporary detente.
After the engines shut down, it was long moments until the bulkhead door opened and a ramp extended to the ground. The world's heroes marched down with purposeful strides. Stepping forward, he held out his hand to their leader.

"Martin...welcome."

The hero in black and white did not return the friendly gesture, merely said: "Call me Fluxx, Kasimir. Thees eez business."

As he spoke, the UN super-team spread out in a skirmish line behind their leader. The cloaked man was familiar with most of them, having attended the Academy with them. The rest he knew by reputation. Fluxx, Current, Catalyst, Impasse, Maze, Roustabout, Shinobi and Roan...

the Vindicators had come to Africa.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Ch. 2: The Politics of Freedom-

Fluxx and his Vindicators faced the heroes of Free Somalia, their readiness for combat evident in the tenseness of their postures. Kasimir faced them impassively, but not for the first time, he found himself wishing he could study their expressions. Well, those that went unmasked anyway. Fluxx, Current and Shinobi all went hooded, while Maze wore a mask that obscured a large portion of her face. Only the right side of her face, from the cheekbone upward was uncovered. Ever since Therianthrope had disfigured her, she'd been the Vindicators' answer to the Phantom of the Opera. At least as far as appearance went anyway. She was never musically inclined, being more attracted to sports. It really didn't matter anyway, masked or unmasked, their faces were a mystery to him. Kasimir hadn't seen the face of another person since his fifteenth birthday.
Behind him, staring down Fluxx's team were some of his own allies. Greystone, Ursa, Gorrax and Monsoon. this wa the one area where he held an advantage over Martin. While every member of Fluxx's team had well-documented and publicized powers, Aziza and Fathia were more local and Africa had been all but overlooked by the New Vindicator Academies. Of course, should things actually come to blows, their abilities would be revealed quickly enough. For the moment though, that mystery was to his advantage.
Before the developing tension caused someone to snap, Kasimir took a step back and pivoted, gesturing toward the open door.

"I'm hoping that your business is nothing that can't be discussed over tea. Would you like to come in?"

The other Vindicators looked to Martin for a decision, their gazes assessing his response.

"Oui. Let us adjourn eenside and talk." It was the reasonable thing to do, but, Martins' inflection made it sound like he was surrendering. Kasimir had to wonder what issues plagued these Vindicators.

"Cute suit Jack." Alex Murphy, Current, quipped as he walked past. "Not quite your normal emo color sheme though."

Jack Rexroth, the shape-shifting Greystone smirked at the jibe. "I'm broadening my horizons Lex, you ought to try it sometime. Oh....I forgot, you're the walking embodiment of a Peter Pan complex combined Moral Absolutist arrogance."

"Call me Current, zis ees not a zocial visit. Eet's business." The sarcastic edge to Lex's voice was so obvious, even Fathia and Aziza, who still struggled with their english, noted it.Kasimir was burning up with curiosity. there was more going on with this visit than readily apparent. Jack and Otso quickly looked to Emily and Viktor, who both shrugged non-committally.

The rest of the Vindicators passed in silence, with their Neo-Sapien brethren and armed, human guards falling in step behind them. Inside the building the heroes were disappointed to find the shade did little to diminish either the staggering heat or the humidity. Striding the stone corridors in silence, they made their way to a conference room with a beat up circular table and mismatched chairs. Behind her mask, Ellen smiled at the sight.

"A round table." Her voice sounded both amused and sad simultaneously. "Need I ask whose idea this was?"

"No," A soft voice wafted across the room. "you do not need to ask Ellen. Its symbolism is important to him, and so it is important to us."

"Beatrice!" Ellen squealed, her voice and body language at odds with her somewhat sinister appearance. Ellen hadn't seen the young super-human code-named Vestige for years and was happy to see her looking well.

"Greetings Ellen>" Beatrice smiled a small, cherubic smile at Ellen, made her way across the chamber to snuggle in close to Otso. The French Neo was dressed in green and gold like the others, but over the uniform she wore a holstered, Browning 9mm on her hip, a combat knife strapped to her thigh and most shocking, she cradled a rifle as long as she was tall in her arms. It was a Galil .50 calibre sniper rifle. Privately, she called it Pierre. Her once luxurious hair was shorn in a pixie cut and her bangs restrained by the military beret she wore. The spray of freckles across her nose and cheeks merely contributed to the discontinuity of her appearance.

"So....where IS the Impaler anyway?" Lex asked, casually sarcastic. Beatrice immediately levelled her rifle at him, an action that was mimicked by the guards.

"You are not in friendly territory Current." Her soft voice had taken on a flat, threatening tone. "It might be wise for you to be careful what you say. There is little electricity here and none to spare for bringing you back from deaths' door."

Ellens' eyes fixed on the rifle. Quickly she assessed directions and time of entrance, then gasped. "You were targeting us when we landed!"

"Oui."

The masked blondes' gaze sought that of her former schoolmate. "Would you have used that on us?"

"Oui."

"Oh mother f&(>!" Current swore. "It's like they've all been infected by the psycho Vlad disease!"

Martin rolled his eyes. If Lex was allowed to speak much more, the situation would devolve into violence. Turning to Emily, he asked: "Catalyst, can you do zometheeng about our agent provocateur?"

The German Esper nodded slightly. Her eyes flashed brightly and Currents' diatribe cut off in a strangled gurgle. "Watch your manners Lex."

"Zank you." Fluxx said. "Now, we are 'ere because you 'ave provoked an international incident Kasimir."

"We're at work Fluxx, call me Magnitude." The blonde man deadpanned.

"Fine. Zis eez no laughing matter zough. You 'ave committed a grave offense."

"Really, herr Fluxx?" Kasimir was suddenly, deadly serious. "Exactly what did we do that was so provocative?"

"You zunk a United States warship! Zomeone from 'ere zunk ze USS Bart Starr! Ovair one 'undred crew were injured or killed!"

"Ja, that is true." The cloaked Neo-Sapien growled. "Someone from this place sunk that ship. Me. They launched cruise missiles at us. They...launched an attack...on...US! How very sad for them that my power could ram those missiles back down their throats!"

The taller man strode over, as if to stare the Vindicator leader in the eyes, though that was not possible. "Did they tell you that they started it Fluxx? Did they tell you they risked civilian lives?"

From under the hood that concealed his face Martin glared at the blind man, but said nothing.

"Martin?" Lex gasped out past Emily's mental compulsion. The American speedster was staring at his "nephew" with a sickened look.

"Oui!" Fluxx spat. "Oui, I knew ze truth, as does Crusader." The room went deathly quiet as the young hero confessed his knowledge.

"Fluxx....what? Why?" Maze couldn't even manage a coherent question.

"We're here to bring in people who were defending themselves?" Lex's rage was breaking the bonds Emily placed on his mind. Even worse, the hot tempered hero was powering up. Lightning danced over his body madly.

"Oui!" Martin snarled. "I deed not want zis, but zere are larger conziderations 'ere Lex!"

"Like what?"

"Like control." Emily interjected.

"Do you want to explain that Emily, or do I go straight to the ass-kicking?"

"Current, " Emily adopted her best schoolteacher, lecture tone. "if there is a place where SPB's can exist without the sufferance of the populace, or even worse, a place where the super powered could possibly rule, they become a threat to the status quo."

Magnitude could feel the tension in Currents' body. He wished he could see the look on his face as he processed what was being said. Jack, on the other hand could see, and knowing Lex was readying himself for an explosive display of rage.

"Lex, if zis nation building eez allowed to take place, eet weel zrow zee ztability of ze entire planets political ztructure off. "ow long do you zink eet would be before ze empowered decide to exact vengence on zere perceived oppressors?"

"You've got to be eff-ing kidding me!" Lex sputtered.

"Non. Ze greater good must be ze foremost conzideration." Fluxx tried to reason with his longtime friend.

"I won't be part of this Martin! I've heard this all before! Why don't we just lynch the uppity n******s! That's it, isn't it?" Lex was practically screaming now.

"Lex...." Emily began.

"NO!!" With a crack of thunder and a clash of lightning Current exploded from the residence. At top speed, he ran southwest, leaving nothing but a display of St. Elmo's fire in his wake.

"Well...that was fun." Jack snarked.

"Mmmm. Jack, Otso, why don't you find quarters for our guests while Martin and I talk?" Kasimir said, unruffled.

Jack gaped at his comrade. "Kas, I realize your the one whose mama is a lawyer and everything, but, shouldn't we be killing these bastards before they haul us back to work on the plantation?"

"Oh no," The German smiled. "they just asked us for the first dance is all. Vlad will decide when we consent to the last tango."

"You're enjoying zis far too much." Martin grumped, realizing at the moment his team was aligned against him.

"Ja, and I intend to enjoy myself even more. Now...how about that tea?"

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 1&2

Postby Michuru81 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Digging it so far, HH! I like the notion of Vestige as a combatant. Keep up the good work... or else... :)
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks boss. Yeah, Vestige is my official "big gun" person for the story. She's the sniper for the Abolitionists, and their number one tracker.

And for all you New Vindie fans/players who read this...I'm gonna warn you, Michuru has given me some extra nifty ideas for more African SPB's, thus making my goal of having a relatively short, compact storyline drift a little further out of reach. Gotta take the good with the bad though.

For those folks who've got NO FREAKIN' IDEA who any of these characters are, hopefully chapter three will help explain the basics.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm

*laughs*

Yeah, who in their right mind would bring Lex along for a diplomactic mission? ;~)
More or less one involving both Jack AND Vlad?

Actually I've never been able to see Lex really sticking with the New Vindicators. Maybe doing his own vigilante thing, but it always seemed like it wouldn't really fit right with him. And now we're seeing why.

Ah Lex. Some day you will be written as something other than a crazy hothead. It will be our first clue you've been replaced with a shapeshifter ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am

Actually, Lex is not done...though he is probably through with the blatant hot-headedness. I've noticed some things about Lex that I'm trying to pay close attention to as I write this. 1) His first reaction when things go sideways, is to lose his temper. 2) Lex rarely concentrates just on dealing with the problem at hand, he tends to venture into "what if" territory, and assume that somehow he should have had some sort of preparatory briefing. 3) Once he's finished with all the raging and complaining is when he truly starts to be effective. For Lex, super-heroing is a little like grieving...it's a process.

This makes Lex a blast to write, since it often means he's just waiting to go off the rails about something, but is never unrecoverable.

Also, this story takes place a good 5 years after Lex, Jack and Vlad will have graduated, and while it's unlikely Lex worked with the Vindicators much during that time, considering the mission was to go in blast the hell out of Vlad, Jack and their allies, Martin figured Lex was perfect. The big question is, when did Martin start drinking the kool-aid? I'll get to that too.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

I really really like this and I'm forward to more. :)
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 am

Ch.3: Once upon a time in Austria-

When night fell in the city of Baki, capitol of Free Somalia, with it came a darkness most westerners were no longer familiar with. Those few spots in town which featured electric lighting, only did so by virtue of gasoline powered generators. For most of the city, small, battery powered torches or kerosene lamps provided what little light there was. The Presidential Residence was no different, but, the darkness bothered neither Jack nor Otso, so both pulled guard duty at night.

For everyone else, night meant hunkering down to take care of business that did not require daylight. For the Vindicators visiting the North African city for the first time, it meant a long, boring night in a strange land. Unable to sleep, or read and unfamiliar with the local language and customs, Gwendolyn Kennedy found herself wandering the dimly lit halls aimlessly. While the residence wasn't huge in the way most presidential palaces were in Africa, it was not tiny by any stretch of the imagination. It took her ten minutes of poking around before she found the pantry. The staff didn't interfere with her wandering, but she was certain they were keeping tabs on her whereabouts. Still, she managed to find the pantry to get a snack. To her surprise, she wasn't alone.

Sitting in the breakfast nook, cleaning her weapons was Beatrice Karrell, Vestige. The petite woman was efficient in her movements. Careful. Precise. She handled every component of her weapons as if intimately familiar with them. From the grip, to the action, to the springs, every piece was inspected, cleaned and oiled. Then the weapons were reassembled. Gwendolyn would have thought her completely immersed in the process, except as she worked, she spoke.

"Take a photograph. eet weel last longer."

Instantly the Vindicator blushed red. "Oh my god. I'm sorry f'r interruptin' y'r work. I just came doon f'r a wee bite. I'm nae familiar wi' goons."

The tiny woman arched one eyebrow at her fellow SPB and clucked her tongue disapprovingly. "Zese are not guns mon ami, zey are firearms."

"I'm nae sure I understan'. Are na' all firearms goons?"

With a little smirk, Beatrice stood, reached over and hefted the large rifle leaning against a nearby cabinet. With little preamble she rattled off a military rhyme.

"Zis is my rifle!" She held the weapon aloft.
"Zis is my gun!" She grabbed her crotch.
"Zis is for shooting!" Rifle up.
"Zis is for fun!" Crotch grab.

Setting the Galil back where she'd picked it up from, she returned to her chair. "Obviously, zat rhyme assumes a male zoldier, but you get zee point, non?"

"Aye." Gwendolyn said, still gaping at the smaller woman. "So...umm...ye're married to Otso." She said, desperately trying to come up with a safe topic of conversation. While Martin hadn't said anything more about taking them in, she still assumed they were essentially hostiles.

"Oui. For zome time now." Beatrice replied, picking up her beret and brushing imaginary lint off it. The action allowed her to avoid eye contact.

"Ye're a young lass though. Dinnae ye find it t' be a wee bit premature?"

Now Beatrice raised her eyes to stare straight into the Vindicators'. "Non. I do not, and eef you 'ad seen what I 'ave, you would zink zo eizer." The Irish girl remained quiet, but her expression was all the prodding Vestige needed. "'Ow much do you know about zese people?"

Gwendolyn shrugged. "Na mooch, I suppose. Me gifts didna' make themselves knoon 'til last year. I've only been wi' th' team a short while."

"I first met zem in '08. I was fourteen years old. I became enrolled at ze academie because when my abilities first manifested, I zought I was going mad. I zaw after images of everyone. Zousands and zousands of images. Zome were crisp and clear, ozers faded like a photograph left in zee sunlight. I tried to put my eyes out to make it ztop. Anti-psychotics were uzeless. eet was not until my Aunt Isabeaux was told of my condeetion, zat it was correctly identified."

Rising, Beatrice gathered up a kettle and started to boil water for tea. She continued her tale as she worked. "Zo, I went to ze school, young freshman. Ze sophmore class was already developing a reputation, but I paid eet little 'eed. I was eentimidated by my fellow ztudents and painfully shy. I alzo only 'ad command of my native tongue, zo zpeaking to many ozer ztudents was impossible. On top of all zat zere were girls 'oo 'ad blossomed, zat were zee center of attention. Early on I zimply resigned myself to four years of loneliness."

Leaning against the edge of the ancient stove on which the kettle was heating, she stared into the past, he gaze fixed on memories. "Loneliness may 'ave been preferable een zome ways to 'ow zings turned out. Anyway, my first experience wiz any of zese ztudents...at least ze first experience zat truly affected me... was een Italy. A group of uz were on a field trip to ze national museum of art, when we encountered zee criminal Neo-Sapien, Iconoclast. Jack, Cornelis and Fiore battled 'eem to a ztandstill. I merely cowered. After zat, Vlad's mad sister attacked ze school. I was one of ze ones 'oo 'id. I zought zat was all I was good for... zen zomezing amazing 'appened."

She stopped for a moment to pull the hot kettle off the stove and put the strainer of tea leaves in to steep. "Zo anyway, one night Otso, Vlad and Ellen were going out to try to appre'end zis zief called Savateuse, and zey...and Otso...asked me to come. I was shocked. My powers were useless, non? Bezides, was I not a coward? At zat moment, when Otso showed faiz in me, I could feel zomezing change...inzide." She tapped her breastbone for emphasis.

"Vlad was, per'aps not zo 'appy to 'ave me along, but, 'e included me in ze plan nonezeless. Otso trusted 'im, an' for a man made of candy, 'e zeemed ztrong, confident. I knew zen, zings would never be ze zame for me. Otso, 'oo can tansform into a bruin and Ellen 'oo manipulates unearthly fire were followeeng a man made of taffy. Eef Vlad could lead...fight...be rezpected...why not me?"
"As time progressed, zings changed zomewhat, but zat class became eemportant. Ze entire academie would revolve around zem een one fashion or anozer. Each of zem, Martin, Alex, Viktor, Jack, Vlad, Jason, Otso, Kasimir and alzo Emily from ze zenior class, would come to define ze best an' ze worst of ze school. Martin and Alex were ze 'eadmasters choices to lead, but ze ztudents? Ze ztudents deed not follow ze two prefects... at least not wiz fervor. Ze ztudents chose to follow ze Candyman. An' zat was an eensult Lex 'as never forgiven. Lex 'ates Vlad. Martin per'aps eez a little envious of Vlad's zuccess, but Lex 'ates Vlad. 'E also 'ates Jack too, but mostly because of Kirstie, I zink."

"Kirstie? The MI6 slag?"

"Oui. Yet anozer long ztory among a 'ole mythos of long stories." Pouring two cups of tea, Beatrice pulled out a half full jar of honey from a cupboard and a tin of powdered creamer. "We do not 'ave fresh cream. I apologize."

The green-eyed Irishwoman shook her head. "Not t' worry lass, I take mine dark 'n' bitter. So is tha' it then? Tha's th' tale behind th' acrimony?"

" 'Ardly. We 'ad zought after Lex left to become a rock star, martin immersed 'imself in labwork, Jason went to try 'is 'and at politics in America, an' ze ozers perished or retired, eet would be ztrangers 'oo came after us 'ere. Yet be'old, zose of us 'oo followed Vlad's dream now find ourszelves confronted by zose 'oo did not."

"Nae completely right? Eve is stone dead, an' y'r mate Jason disappeared after 'e failed to wow th' bloody yanks, now didn't 'e?"

Beatrice laughed. A musical sound and her eyes fairly sparkled with macabre humor. "Oui. Eve is dead, as are zo many ozers, but zey are all 'ere."

"How's tha'?"

"Because ze grand lord of ze dead ztill 'as use for zem. Jason eez 'ere too. Ze pirates fear 'im more zan any because 'e 'as fuzed science wiz sorcery to defeat zem. Now Jason 'as declared 'imself ze adjudicator of all crimes against ze dream of an integrated world. Eef you venture into ze outlaw territories, you weel 'ear fearful whispers of a zteel god of ze dead. Ze punisher of zins. Ze imprisoner of zouls. Jason is 'ere. I believe 'e eez known to ze Vindicators as Tyrant. 'Owever, 'e calls 'imself Grave...and...'e may be touch mad."

"Oh bloody hell."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sovereign New Vindicators Ch. 3

Postby Arkrite » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 am

You think he was self centered and entitled before? Now he's a Rock Star! ;~)

Beatrice is crude, Kirstie is british intelligence and Jason is an infamous necromancer. Mind blowing.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 am

There's no sense telling the story...even fanfic...without a little "what if" element. I just gotta hope when it comes to writing the PC's I don't end up ticking someone off with the protrayal of their character, y'know?

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Well, you've got my juices running. If I can work out a reasonable plot line I might do my own.

We will see how annoyied the other players are at me then ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, I have certainly would have no grounds for protest. I'm working on the second story where I've taken liberties with both the PBP characters AND Michuru's world.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Horsenhero wrote:There's no sense telling the story...even fanfic...without a little "what if" element.

Amen. There is little I like more than counterfactual history. Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is one of the more known at this point but Philip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" is the king of the genre. It's hard to not adore what if stories, if only to get a taste for how things could have been. I know HH isn't a fan but the X-Men take trips through these frequently: Days of Future Past, Bishop's X-Traitor period, the Age of Apocalypse and... the current Age of X storyline are decent takes on what might be or what could have been had things happened differently. Writing is all about imagining "what if this happened?" so why not take that a step further and imagine "what if this happened... but happened differently?"

I'm thoroughly enjoying each and every installment of your take on how things could do, HH. Keep 'em coming.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

Yeah, this is great stuff. The idea of Jason, melding science and sorcery to become some sort of Dr. Doom type with undead minions, is really cool. Vestige is looking cool as well.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Yeah, this is great stuff. The idea of Jason, melding science and sorcery to become some sort of Dr. Doom type with undead minions, is really cool. Vestige is looking cool as well.

You don't know how happy I am that you caught on that Jason has essentially become a heroic...well, anti-heroic, Dr. Doom. If everything works out as I would like, there will be no strictly villainous or strictly heroic characters in this tale. Some will be more one was than the other...but no one is going to be all good or all evil.

And of course, in keeping with the tone of the setting...happy endings will the be the exception, not the rule.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”