Infinite New Vindicators Book 2: 10 years Later

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinite New Vindicators

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Indomitable (Martin Curie) PL 8
Inspired by flynnarrel

Gender- Male Age: 15 Ht.- 5'4" Wt.- 130lbs Eyes: Brown Hair: Sandy Blonde

Strength 0 Stamina 2 Agility 3 Dexerity 3 Fighting 1 Intellect 4 Awareness 4 Presence 0

Offense-

Initiative +3, Close Combat +2, Ranged Combat +3, Virtual Engineering +5

Defense-

Dodge 7, Parry 4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 2/7, Will 6

Advantages-

Improvised Tools, Languages 2, Leadership

Skills-

Insight 2(+6), Investigation 2(+6), Perception 2(+6), Ranged Combat[Virtual Engineering] 2(+5), Technology 4(+8)

Powers-

Quantum Particle Man- (Container) Flight 4, Immunity(Life Support) 10, Insubstantial 2, Activation -1pt

I Spy- Senses(Analytical, Auditory, Chemical, Visual) 6

Healthy Glow- Protection (Sustained) 5

Virtual Engineering-(Array) Create(Movable, Precise, Requires Technology Ck) 8
......AE: Damage (Ranged, Penetrating) 8
......AE: Move Object(Sustained, Precise) 7
......AE: Transform (Repair Technology, Continuous) 8

Complications: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Responsibility: NVAE, Motivation:Doing Good.

PP Totals: Abilities 34+ Powers 65+ Advantages 4+ Skills 6+ Defenses 11= 120.

Martin's build, along with lex's turned out to be one of the most simple to reimagine the way I wanted it. Still, for all its' simplicity, or perhaps because of it, if not for the fact that his combat skills are crap, Martin once again brushes up against unstoppable.

:arrow: Martin is difficult, though hardly impossible to hurt, and he doesn't fight all that well, being a labrat, but, his powers make him the ideal man in the supporting role. Anything Jason can conceive, Martin can create.

:arrow: This Martin is a little more retiscent than Flynnarrel's amazing creation, being physically unimpressive, with somewhat lackluster social skills...so why Leadership? Because Martin is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Tatjana's, "my Napoleon" comment is foreshadowing of the Martin to come, where his power and personality both develop incredibly. Martin is a testament to 'someday".

:arrow: Martin is also the opposite case from Alex. Where in Alex's case, I had more than enough points to accomplish what I wanted...in Martin's the reverse is true. I dialed his powers back from where I originally had wanted them, because I don't see Martin as burdened with a lot of power flaws. Instead, I decided to make him powerful enough to have his potential shine through...but not overwhelming, yet.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Narwhale (Otso Karrell) PL 8
Inspired by McGuffin

Gender- Male Age- 16 Ht.- 5'11"/8' Wt.- 200lbs/800lbs Eyes- Brown Hair- Blonde/None

Strength 4/10 Stamina 4/8 Agility 3 Dexterity 1 Fighting 2/6 Intellect 0 Awareness 1 Presence 2

Offense-

Initiative +3, Close Combat +6, Ranged Combat +1

Defenses-

Dodge 8/7 Parry 8/7 Fortitude 4/8 Toughness 4/8 Will 6

Advantages-

All Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Environment(Underwater), Improved Critical(Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Interpose, Languages 3, Power Attack, Ultimate Toughness

Skills-

Athletics 6(+10/+16), Insight 4(+5), Intimidation 6(+8/+9), Perception 6(+7)

Powers-

Lord of the Ocean(Container)- Communication-Auditory(Ultrasonic) 2, Comprehend Animals(Sea Creatures) 2, Enhanced Fighting 4, Enhanced Stamina 2, Enhanced Strength 4, Feature(Clothing Storage)1 Growth (Permanent) 2, Immunity (Cold, Pressure, Drowning) 3, Movement (Environmental Adaptation-Water) 1, Regeneration 10, Senses (Ultra-Hearing, Ultra-Vision) 2, Swimming 7. Activation -1 Noticeable -1pt

Complications- Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Responsibility (NVAE), Obsession (Finding Mother)

PP Totals: Abilities 34+ Powers 47+ Advantages 14+ Skills 11+ Defenses 14= 120

Narwhale was the first character I ever created in 3e, and the first of these new twists on old favorites conceived, and I like him. He was almost too easy. While Skill Monkeys have become exceedingly difficult to make in 3e, Powerhouses like Otso have gone the opposite direction. At PL 8, he had more points than I needed to pull off the character, so overall, he is a fairly superior build.

:arrow: In conceiving Otso, I needed to have his fighting and general powerhouse concept remain intact, but, I couldn't think of another land based predator to base him on. Sure, I could've gone for a Polar Bear instead of a Brown Bear, but, that's still essentially the same thing. The North Seas and the abundance of nifty creatures within was my saving grace. The only other option I was considering was perhaps a draconic iteration or Grendelesque Troll ala Beowulf, but, really Lycanthropes are about taking the natural world and making it scarier, not slapping a little humanity on a mythic beast.

:arrow: You'll notice that I did not include the weakness to Sonics displayed in the story in his complications. I did that on purpose. Rare, situational weaknesses can be handled as temporary complications. I personally don't believe that every possible weakness has to be listed on a character sheet. If a character's design suggests they might be more vulnerable to a particular power or condition...then add a situational modifier to it, and let it go.

:arrow: Narwhale is not built as the optimal powerhouse. Again, since I view him as also being kind of a scrapper, I went for Regeneration as opposed to Impervious and I made his Parry & Dodge pretty impressive for a character his size instead of taking a trade-off for a higher Toughness. Not necessarily the most common way to go with a character like this, but, Otso is as much a fighter as a meat shield.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Paradigm (Jason Lamperouge) PL 8
Inspired by Arthur Eld

Gender- Male Age- 16 Ht.- 5'9" Wt.- 135lbs Eyes- Blue Hair- Black

Strength 1 Stamina 2 Agility 4 Dexterity 3 Fighting 3 Intellect 10 Awareness 8 Presence 3

Offense-

Initiative +12, Close Combat +8, Ranged Attack +3, Thrown Attack +5

Defenses-

Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 5, Toughness 2/5/6, Will 8

Advantages-

Close Attack 5, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 5, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2, Improvised Tools, Jack of All Trades, Languages 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)1, Quick Draw, Redirect, Takedown

Skills-

Acrobatics 2(+6), Athletics 4(+5), Deception 2(+5), Expertise:Criminology 2(+12), Insight 2(+10), Investigation 2(+12), Perception 2(+10), Persuasion 2(+5), Stealth 2(+6), Ranged Attack: Throw 2(+5), Technology 2(+12)

Powers-

Synergistic Prodigy (Container)-Enhanced Awareness 5, Enhanced Dodge 6, Enhanced Intellect 2, Enhanced Parry 7, Quickness 5

Equipment-

Uniform (Protection 1), Commlink, Flashlight (Feature:Illumination), Binoculars (Extended Vision)

Weapons Array- Taser( Affliction, Ranged, Resisted by Fortitude, Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated)8
......AE: Tonfa (Damage, Strength Based) 3
......AE: Bola (Affliction, Ranged, Cumulative, Limited to two degrees, Hindered, Prone)3

Motorcycle- Medium, Str 1, Spd 6, Def 0, Tough 8, Feature: Navigation system

Complications- Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Responsibility (NVAE), Motivation(Justice), Reputation (Brainiac)

PP Totals: Abilities 54+ Powers 25+ Advantages 26+ Skills 12+ Defenses 3= 120

Ah Jason...my own twist on the driven crimefighter. Jason is still brilliant...or at least very, very smart, but, I took that focus in a slightly different direction with the reimagined version. It's true, he still doesn't pack the flat out punch of many of his teammates, but, he's passably good at everything and perfectly capable of physically whippin' mooks by the score.

:arrow: Under the new system, Skill Monkeys are HARD, and that's all there is to it. The absolute best solution I have found is to concentrate on a smaller array of "really good skills", seriously build up some key Abilities and take Jack of All Trades. As a future add-on, Beginners' Luck is nice, because it actually provides ranks as well as just the ability to use a skill.

:arrow: My apologies to Viktor, but, in this universe, Jason is the one with the motorcycle...he needs it.

:arrow: Obviously, in the story, Jason overstated his physical capabilities somewhat, but, even a super-genius can fall victim to hyperbole.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Raze (Viktor DeGallow) PL 8
Inspired by Anomaly

Gender- Male Age- 17 Ht.- 5'10" Wt.- 190lbs Eyes- Brown Hair- Black

Strength 1 Stamina 3 Agility 4 Dexterity 3 Fighting 3 Intellect 0 Awareness 2 Presence 2

Offense-

Initiative +4, Close Combat +6, Ranged Combat +5

Defenses-

Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 3/7/10 Will 4

Advantages-

All-Out Attack, Attractive 1, Benefit (Wealthy), Close Attack 3, Languages 2, Ranged Attack 2

Skills-

Deception 2(+4), Intimidate 2(+4), Perception 2(+4), Persuasion 2(+4), Vehicles 2(+5)

Powers-

Blast Field- Protection, Sustained 4

Ramjet- Flight 7

Flying Ram (Container)- Immunity (Heat, Cold, Suffocation, Pressure, Fatigue), Impervious 10, Protection 3, Linked to Flight.

Major Thrust- Damage, Ranged 9
....................AE: Damage, Area(Cone) 9
....................AE: Damage, Area(Line) 9
....................AE: Damage, Aura, Reaction 4
....................AE: Damage, Close, Penetrating 9

Complications- Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Reputation (Shallow, Womanizer), Motivation (Thrill)

PP Totals: Abilities 36+ Powers 59+ Advantages 10+ Skills 5+ Defenses 10= 120

Viktor, Viktor, Viktor...who would've thought he would be so fun to write? What can I say? For a smarmy creep, he's got character potential. Add to that one of the most potent powersets, at least as far as just putting on the hurt, that I designed and he's non-stop chuckles.

:arrow: Along with Lex, Viktor was probably the easiest character to get everything I wanted out of. Yes, I had to dial down his flight speed to get a couple of other features in the build, but, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out.

:arrow: Like many of these characters, Viktors' fighting skills aren't all they could be, but, again...going back to the premise of the campaign, that's pretty acceptable. On the other hand, in flight, he has rank 10 Toughness, with enough Impervious that bullets bounce off him. It works for me.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Tatterdemalion (Vladislav Radikovich) PL 8
Inspired by Horsenhero

Gender- Male Age- 16 Ht.- 5'8" Wt.- 180lbs Eyes- Green Hair- Black

Strength 3 Stamina 3/6 Agility 3/10 Dexterity 3/8 Fighting 3/8 Intellect 0 Awareness 2 Presence 2

Offense-

Initiative +7/+14, Close Combat +3/+8, Ranged Combat +3/+8

Defenses-

Dodge 3/10, Parry 3/8, Fortitude 3/6, Toughness 3/6, Will 5

Advantages-

Agile Feint, Evasion 1, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Initiative 1, Languages 2, Throwing Mastery 2, Uncanny Dodge

Skills-

Acrobatics 2(+5/+12), Athletics 2(+5), Deception 2(+5), Insight 2(+4), Perception 2(+4), Stealth 2(+5/+12)

Powers-

Ragamuffin Stuffin' (Container)- Enhanced Agility 7, Enhanced Dexterity 5, Enhanced Fighting 5, Enhanced Stamina 3, Insubstantial 1, Immunity (Critical Hits, Entrapment, Falling Damage)12, Leaping 4, Movement (Sure-Footed, Swinging, Wall-Crawling)4 Activation -1, Noticeable -1

Needles & Pins- Damage (Strength Based, Penetrating) 5
......................AE: Damage (Ranged, Strength Based, Multi-Attack) 3
......................AE: Damage (Ranged, Strength Based, Ricochet 2) 4
......................AE: Affliction (Resisted by Dodge, Cumulative, Hindered, Immobile, Paralyzed) 5
......................AE: Affliction (Resisted by Fortitude, Cumulative, Impaired, Disabled, Unaware-Visual) 5

Complications- Rivalry (Father), Resposibility (NVAE), Reputation (Crazy)

PP Totals: Abilities 40+ Powers 62+ Advantages 9+ Skills 6+ Defenses 3= 120

Last, and almost certainly least as far as this story goes, is Vlad. Since in the original Blitz, he didn't do a whole lot, I couldn't in good conscience boost his participation here. Still, as far as original creations go, I'm pretty pleased that I was able to find a completely different physical descriptor, yet capture a similar feel as the original. Vlad as presented here, is sort of, the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz meets Michael Myers from Halloween.

:arrow: And that, as they say, is that. Unless there are questions about the characters, or other observations...with this final build, this story thread is complete. Thanks again folks.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 am

Nice work HH.

I like how you managed to give some interesting twists to the characters and manage to keep much of the feel of the original at the same time. I do have a question for you though.

I noticed that many of the builds have Container listed in the powers. My understanding of 3E is that no longer exists, so is that something you're using to describe those powers listed as part of it or something you've came up with on your own or am I over thinking the whole thing:?
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:58 am

Great builds HH. Double-interesting since you did the builds in 3rd ed, gives me a little idea about the system and what changed/didn't change. I blame my original post on Aqua Man, especially since the build is really cool, a proficient fighter who can still hit hard.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:52 am

Tattooedman wrote:Nice work HH.

I like how you managed to give some interesting twists to the characters and manage to keep much of the feel of the original at the same time. I do have a question for you though.

I noticed that many of the builds have Container listed in the powers. My understanding of 3E is that no longer exists, so is that something you're using to describe those powers listed as part of it or something you've came up with on your own or am I over thinking the whole thing:?

You're absolutely correct TM, "Container", as terminology, no longer exists in the new edition, since you now just name a power and dump all the requisite components in it. However, not knowing who did and who didn't have the new rules, I tried to use Container to express that as far as say...nullification went, these are all the same power. In Otso's case (or in Vlad's or Jack's for that matter), a noticeable, physical transformation.

I also included Activation (and usually Noticeable) on all powersets that weren't immediately available to a character at any time without a little something extra...usually changing into an Alternate Form.

I have to say, while I like the fact that you can include as many effects under a power heading as you like, and not have to try to fit them into a 5pp/lvl formula, I miss the inclusion of the Container terminology as a quantifier.

This is most important on a character like Jack, who has access to some of his powers all of the time, but, all of his powers only some of them time. He can always use his Affliction Array, Environment and Damage powers, but, everything listed under his "The Devil Himself" power is usable only after he transforms.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:16 am

Horsenhero wrote:
Tattooedman wrote:Nice work HH.

You're absolutely correct TM, "Container", as terminology, no longer exists in the new edition, since you now just name a power and dump all the requisite components in it. However, not knowing who did and who didn't have the new rules, I tried to use Container to express that as far as say...nullification went, these are all the same power. In Otso's case (or in Vlad's or Jack's for that matter), a noticeable, physical transformation.

I also included Activation (and usually Noticeable) on all powersets that weren't immediately available to a character at any time without a little something extra...usually changing into an Alternate Form.

I see, that is what I was thinking but simply wanted to make sure.

I have to say, while I like the fact that you can include as many effects under a power heading as you like, and not have to try to fit them into a 5pp/lvl formula, I miss the inclusion of the Container terminology as a quantifier.

This is most important on a character like Jack, who has access to some of his powers all of the time, but, all of his powers only some of them time. He can always use his Affliction Array, Environment and Damage powers, but, everything listed under his "The Devil Himself" power is usable only after he transforms.

I agree with you on the lack of Container, I did find myself debating about using it as terminology simply to make things easier on me when I first started doing 3E builds. I definately see how it applies to many of the redesigned characters, again nice work & thanks for explaining that.

I just might have to "borrow" a couple of these ideas you've been kind enough to share with us at some future point. :twisted:
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 am

Feel free. While I'm keeping the character sheets for this gang on hand for sentimental reasons, I've finished what I set out to do, except for any Q&A, so they're fair game. I'll laugh my butt off if we end up fighting some 2e versions in the game though.

It'll remind me of an old D&D game my little brother ran, where he allowed player parania to dictate what we encountered. He designed an empty dungeon and then just listened to the players ramble about "I bet there's a trap here" or "this would the perfect place to get ambushed by a Beholder" and lo and behold...it would happen. Because so many ideas were thrown out...player paranoia being what it is...it took us about halfway through the place figure out what he was doing.

One more comment on the "Container" issue. The game rules don't specifically say to name a Power, i.e. Lord of the Oceans, and build all the parts into it you wish... you actually have to reverse engineer that piece of character building thought, from examining the characters in the back of the book. Fortunately, thanks to Flash, Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, Black Adam, etc., there are plenty of example "container-type" powers to study.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 pm

I noticed, myself, when building Lex in 3rd ed he came out ahead in points real easy, even after I basically doubled his regeneration to two wounds a round.
The weakpoint is that to get his speed up to a respectable level I basically have to dump an obnoxious amount of points into his speed.

The running gag seems to be that if you were relying on the 2nd ed shield power, or lots of skills, or a high speed range you might be in a bad place moving to 3rd edition.

To the point my skill monkey psychic was cheaper to build by moving him from a 9 Int to a 13 Int.

Mind boggling!

Of course the one thing that keeps coming back to me... why didn't they split toughness? Now there would be an intersesting way of making a character more unique. Your martial artist is hard to hurt in melee, but easy to hurt with a gun. But way to hard to hit...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 pm

I think the only reasonable way to split Toughness is to handle it like the Hero System does, with a Physical Defense and an Energy Defense, as opposed to a HTH Toughness and a Ranged Toughness. I mean both bullets and baseball bats rely on impact for damage, as opposed to tissue necrosis or some other effect which could be caused by an energy descriptor. Granted, in real life, high velocity projectiles also impart a systemic vibration called hydrostatic shock, which can prove fatal, even if the injury would not appear to cause sufficient bloodloss or other direct trauma...but, that's difficult to quantify in game terms and just makes things overly complicated.

However, I didn't find Lex's Speed to be an issue. Actually, he (my version) moves much faster in 3e than 2e. At speed 9, his movement rate is 1000mph. SuperSpeed, as they've got it outlined in the book is cheaper too, at 3pp/rank. Each rank provides 1rank of Speed, Quickness and Enhanced Trait: Improved Initiative, leaving the addition of any damaging powers to the designer.

Skill Monkeys have it rough though. If they're super-powered, at least they can get away with dumping the necessary high attributes into a power, so they can get the necessary bonuses to boost the skills. Of course skill bonuses have a hard cap in 3e. In 2e you could max your skill rank and still shoot the moon with an awesome ability bonus, now total skill bonus are capped by PL+10. granted, that's still incredible, but, nowhere in the same ballpark as 2e. I mean, let's take NVAE for example; in 3e, the highest total modifier a skill can have is +18, period. In 2e, you could have a Skill Rank of 13, a max ability mod of +13, and if it were Diplomacy or Bluff and you had Attractive, that's another potential +4, for a max mod of +30...a full 12 points higher than 3e allows. Not only are skills more expensive in 3e, the total mod is lower and is hard capped based on PL. Granted, this means that Skill DC's have a greater possibility of actually being meaningful, but, it's tough on the Batman's of the world.

On the other hand, since I loathe completely invulnerable characters, I really approve of the increased price/decreased effect on Impervious. That's just me though.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 am

Horsenhero wrote:I think the only reasonable way to split Toughness is to handle it like the Hero System does, with a Physical Defense and an Energy Defense

I would have gone with close toughness and ranged toughness myself. Seems thematic, and follows their defense rules to a degree. Oh well, we'll file it under "pipe dream" ;~)

Horsenhero wrote:However, I didn't find Lex's Speed to be an issue.

Well the problem comes up that it's now more points to maintain the same speed he used to have. It's worse for flyers who have to spend two points per rank. I mean, Speed 2 is pretty good, flight 2 is even better. Sure you're normally only moving at 25 MPH, but when you go all out you can outrun most vehicles.
When flying it's even better.

3rd Ed it's now about Speed 4 to get what used to be Speed 2. And worse they seem to have taken out the all out movement rules so you can no longer increase that by x4 for short periods of time.

The confusing part to me is that you can, in fact, take two move actions per round but the book never really goes into details on if this is considered tiring (like sprinting would be) or if this is just normal.

I'm crossing my fingers for when they bring out the M&M 3rd Ed book.

Horsenhero wrote:Not only are skills more expensive in 3e, the total mod is lower and is hard capped based on PL. Granted, this means that Skill DC's have a greater possibility of actually being meaningful, but, it's tough on the Batman's of the world.

It's also painful when doing a switch from 2nd Ed to 3rd. Zane, my psychic super genius, ends up losing out in his primary focus. I managed to actually beat most of the premade characters by finally getting his Knowledge Technology up to a +25 total.
It's a little heartbreaking to know that the best he can now hope for is a 21.

Admittedly from most people's perspective this is probably a non-issue.

Most characters rarely take above 8 to 12 points in any skill to begin with, it's just the crazy super geniuses who take really high ranks usually.
Of course I'm also kind of baffled by how all the science fields are now under one skill. Does seem to take away from the individuality of the unique doctors, such as the Fear Master who was a chemist, or Doctor Atom (2) who was more of a medical doctor, and Zane who's primarily focused on technology and electronics.

Horsenhero wrote:On the other hand, since I loathe completely invulnerable characters, I really approve of the increased price/decreased effect on Impervious. That's just me though.

When I first started playing I didn't care much for impervious either. But I came to the conclusion that it's not so bad as long as there are some limits. For starters it shouldn't be higher than PL. Ever.
Most superheroes tend to fight villians of the same PL so it allows for the hero to deflect minion attacks but not super baddie attacks.
Otherwise I'd have capped it at 3/4 of PL. Minions arn't going to be able to beat Imp 7. Almost every Supervillian would.
My only real concern is when you have people with at +5 toughness shift and full impervious. Now just to hurt them you have to have supervillians with power attack, penetrating attacks, or alternate saves all the time just to threaten them. Leads to balance problems when not everybody on the team is as shifted.

Just my opinion though.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:03 am

10 Years later:

Prelude-

Everything about the room was outsized. The dimensions too large for human inhabitants. Braziers flared with bonfire flame on either side of a massive throne. In the center of the chamber a fire pit the size of a small lake was piled high with burning timbers. Tapestries and curtains covered the walls and the cold, stone floor was thick with straw rushes. Beyond the huge, shuttered windows a storm was howling.

Storms were always howling here and even after all this time it set the teeth of one of the rooms' inhabitants to grinding. There were only two people in the room or more accurately, two living beings. One of them was a human, trapped in a prison of glass and iron, inlid with runes. Every time the wind shrieked and the shutters rattled, he clenched his jaw. Despite the years he'd been kept in this place, the storms bothered him. It was never pleasant here, even discounting the discomfort of being caged like some giant songbird. It was always too hot or too cold. precipitation of some kind was omnipresent. If it was hot, it rained. If it was cold, it snowed. Wicked winds accompanied the precipitation and even during those brief times when the temperature rose or fell and the storms lessened in intensity, a thick blanket of clouds blotted out the sun. If the prisoner could have named this place, he would have christened it, Misery.

Aside from the prisoner, the only other inhabitant of the cavernous chamber was a towering giant. A creature straight out of myth or fairy tales, he moved comfortably around the gargantuan furnishings. Standing an astounding twenty feet, he moved with an easy, confident gate, despite being possessed of a frame the laws of physics insisted would not hold up to his mass. He was garbed like a Viking warrior, or at least what fantasy stories described. A shining hauberk of steel chain covered his torso and golden torcs circled both arms, While heavy vambraces sheathed wrists. His leggings were of black leather and heavy, hobnailed boots lanced up to just below his knees. Girded around his waist was a thick, ornate belt from which hung a broadsword nearly 10 feet in length. A heavy fur cloak draped over his thickly muscled shoulders and he seemed comfortable in it, despite the furnace heat from the fires. His craggy features were obscured by a thick head of hair and a shaggy beard. Icy blue eyes fairly glowed from beneath his brow.

The giants' mouth twisted in what may have been a smile or perhaps a sneer as he stepped close to his prisoners cage.

"Soon your work will be done." His voice rumbled, so deep and gravelly it could barely be understood. "The last heir of the most hated of all Aesir will be revealed shortly. The day the head foresaw is finally approaching."

"They're gonna kick your ass!" The prisoner grated in desperate anger at his monstrous captor.

"They...aren't going to do a thing to me. They do not know I even exist and by the time they learn the truth of things, it will be too late. No, I fear it is you who will draw their ire and since they will be forced to slay you to stop you my identity is safe."

The prisoner had no response. He merely shivered, despite the heat.

Next: Moving day...
Last edited by Horsenhero on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinite New Vindicators Book 2: 10 years Later

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 am

10 Years Later:

Ch. 1 Moving Day-

The beginning of the school year at the New Vindicators Academy in Vienna, Austria was much like the beginning of the school year at most boarding schools. Parents or guardians left their children or adolescent charges at the entrance to wrestle their luggage into the dormitories and drove away. Students clutched class schedules in their hands and fretted over room assignments. The big difference between this academy and any other in europe was the students here were all SPB's. Super-Powered Beings with all the angst and drama of high school. A potentially explosive formula if there ever was one.

Looking around as he dragged the steamer trunk with his belongings in it, Antero Tuominen could only think critically, the complex didn't look nearly durable enough. After a quick check of his admissions form, the tall, burly Fin searched out his room. Opening the door he saw another boy already inside, stretched out on one of the beds. The dark haired teen looked up from the book he was reading and waved.

"You must be my roommate." He said cheerfully.

"Antero."

"Hey 'Tero, my names Janez. You can call me Jan. This is pretty cool, eh?" He made a sweeping gesture with his free hand indicating it was the room he referred to.

"It's alright, I guess." The bigger boy said, looking mournfully at the unoccupied bed he'd be using. It was a little on the modest size for his massive frame and he was already imagining uncomfortable nights.

"Alright?" Janez scoffed. "You only say that because you weren't here last year. That was a mess. School housing wasn't complete. Only the seniors got to live on campus and they were bunked three to a room in the same building as the faculty, thanks to all the extra security. On top of that, the Vindicators were still here part time because their sea base wasn't finished. So for those of us unlucky bastards enrolled here, not in the senior class, it was host families and commuting to school. A total pain in the ass."

Antero nodded as if in sympathy, but the reality was he was a bit steamrolled by his roommates aggressive sociability. "I didn't realize." Was all he managed to mumble, still standing in the doorway.

"It doesn't matter now 'Tero." Janez said, sitting up. "Now we're one big happy commune of neo-Sapien delinquents. The only thing that sucks is the dorms aren't coed. When the classes were smaller they used to be, but apparently a couple years ago some imbecile who'd never heard of condoms got a girl pregnant. Big drama."

Suddenly the Fin's steamer trunk pulled free from his grip and marched itself into the room. The big blonde lunged after it instinctively. "What the devil?"

Janez grinned. "I animate the inanimate and you weren't moving, so I figured since we already have a door, I'd inspire you to come in."

"Right." Antero said, eyeing his roommate as critically as he'd eyed the room. For the first time he was regretful of the manifestation of his Neo-Sapien powers. Somehow the ability to turn into a nigh unstoppable stone powerhouse didn't seem like it would be enough to withstand the juggernaut of Janez' gregariousness.

Down the hall, Volkan Yilmaz and Felix Reiter were rapidly making themselves at home. Like all the Sophmore class their room was on the second floor of the dormitory. Unlike Antero and Janez, they didn't have to struggle through their meet and greet. They had been Freshmen together the previous year and good friends besides. So posters of their favorite bands were tacked up on the walls, clothes were dumped unceremoniously out of suitcases into piles on the beds and Volkan was already burning incense to cover up the odor of the pipe they'd smoked even before unpacking.

"That was some good weed." Felix stated with the type of authority only stoned people can manage.

"Not weed. Pot is for heathens. I'm from Turkey and that my unrefined friend was hashish."

Felix ignored the jab. "I still don't understand how you always manage to bring in so much."

Volkan shrugged and smiled. "Airport security waves me through. The only good thing about being a public SPB is I make muslim security agents twitchy."

"Twitchy how?"

"They're afraid I'm unclean or being an NS is contagious or something, so they try to hurry me through with as little contact as possible. They don't want to touch me, much less search me."

"Isn't Jihad a Muslim?" Felix asked a little perplexed.

"Don't try to figure it out Felix. You're trying to apply logic to the illogical and after what we just smoked, that'll make your head explode."

The small Austrian boy shrugged in response. "Whatever you say. Hey, did you happen to pack any snacks?"

Across the quad in the girls' dorm, Sophie Brouwer and Paula Cabrera lay side by side, pressed tightly together on the same narrow bed.

"Did you see the hot new guy?" Paula asked, her voice breathy.

"Which new guy?" Sophie asked, whisking her bangs out of her eyes with her free hand. "There are like, a boatload of new Freshmen."

"Not a freshman." The milk chocolate skinned, Paula responded with a goofy grin. "The new guy from Finland. That's a fine piece of man right there."

"The big guy? Blonde? Built like an oak tree?"

"Yeah." Paula gigled. "I'd like to climb that tree and shake his branches...if you know what I mean?"

Sophie blushed like she always did when her friend started making sexual innuendos. "You're bad!"

"Yes...yes I am and you should be."

"How do figure that?"

"You got the perfect powers for it vibrator girl." The dark skinned girl snickered.

"Oooo...you hag!"

"Prude."

"Slut!"

Suddenly Paula rolled on top of Sophie and grinned wickedly. "Prepare for tickle torture!"

Sophie grinned back and grabbed at her friends' wrists "Have at you harlot!"

Even through the door their shrieks and laughter could be heard, as well as a loud thump that sounded suspiciously like two bodies falling to the floor.

Not far away a change in living arrangements was being executed. Somehow, Danielle and Darielle Bertrand, twins from France had been split up. The twins found being split up objectionable, and their erstwhile roommates, Veronica Ferreira and Mallorie Weber were more than happy to switch up with them. Like most twins, the Bertrand twins were close, but they took it to the level of creepy and in a school where both a member of the faculty and a student belonged to the neo-sapien bloodline from which the vampire legends sprung, that was saying something. During the entire process of changing rooms, the twins, a light controller and a darkness manipulator spoke infrequently. When they did speak, it was in unison. The entire time Mallorie cursed herself for her punctuality. If either she or Veronica had been late, the whole process of re-packing to change rooms would have been unnecessary. Of course, had Mallorie known she was supposed to be bunking with Darielle Bertrand, she might have been days late.

Similar scenes were taking place in every dorm room on campus. Some pairings worked well, like Riina Tamm and Margueritte Wauters, two aspiring artists. Others, like Bartholomew Hastings and Manfred Furst seemed doomed from the outset. Most worked like Honok Szymanksi and Georgi Katzarov. Every student needed a roommate and one would do as well as another. On the whole, most were glad to be living on campus, free from the added politics and household dynamics that came from living with a host family. All were anxious to get back together with friends they hadn't seen since the beginning of summer break. Janez Vidmar was hoping for an exciting year.

That wish would come back to haunt him. To haunt them all.

Next: The Day It All Went Wrong.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”