Infinite New Vindicators Book 2: 10 years Later

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinite New Vindicators

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:47 am

Well, between Michuru and HH I get the feeling that should take notes on how to write Jack's personality.

I think they've got a better handle on his personality that I do sometimes. Nice stuff HH! Also I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in the builds for the altered characters, personally I'm looking forward to Vlad's since his powers weren't shown too much.

Living rag doll......sounds highly interesting.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 am

Horsenhero wrote:And so it ends, my little homage. I hope you enjoyed the telling of this tale and recognize the artistic licenses I took with the characters and forgive me for it. I'll be making use of this thread for just a little while longer to post the write ups for our protagonists...minus those unchanged. For now though, I turn my back on Earth-720, and wish the very best to its Infinite New Vindicators!

Oubliette for ever and ever folks.

Wait, it ends? :( Well... I suppose that's okay, so long as you promise to get back to the Cavalry...

Arkrite wrote:I also get the feeling that people don't like his attitude ;~)

I like Lex's attitude. A story would be boring if everyone acted rational and got along with everyone. Lex's attitude is integral to making the story more interesting, I feel.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 am

Arkrite wrote:*laughs*
I love how every alternate version of Lex seems to have the most arrogant sounding codename ;~)

I also get the feeling that people don't like his attitude ;~)

Nope. I love Lex's attitude. Actually, this gives the opportunity to address some of the character writing in the story. I went to the largest extremes with Lex and Vlad. I took Lex's tendency toward being judgemental and pushed it all the way to emotional bullying. I took Vlad's emotionally stunted pragmatism and pushed him all the way to homicidal sociopathy. His Babushka had to write him a book of rules for interacting with people. I purposely made Jack and Jason the most well adjusted characters, able to adapt their behaviors to the circumstances, yet still keep some firm ethical footing. Viktor is all about his reputation and is a horrible womanizer...so just a little more extreme than his norm. Emily's basic personality is unchanged, except I made her more playfull, as opposed to having to play den-mother for Tatjana. Kirstie, I tried to portray pretty much the same. Tatjana underwent a complete reversal of personality. This Fach, is a confident, self-assured young lady, who picks her men, as opposed to having them pick her. I added a small tweak to Martin's personality, making his reaction to Fach's predicament emotional, rather than rational. Since Randy got so very little play, there wasn't much I could do with Otso, but, I decided where Randy had been unsure of himself and a little high strung, Otso would be pretty confident and laid back. I'm afraid the characters that got the sort end of the stick, characterizationwise were Gaspar and Cornelis. Both are rather bland, but there are limits to how much can be done in a two part story that covers maybe a half hour of these characters lives.

Again, I'd like to thank Michy for letting me play in his sandbox and everyone else in the NVAE game for letting me play with their toys. It was fun.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Michuru81 wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:And so it ends, my little homage. I hope you enjoyed the telling of this tale and recognize the artistic licenses I took with the characters and forgive me for it. I'll be making use of this thread for just a little while longer to post the write ups for our protagonists...minus those unchanged. For now though, I turn my back on Earth-720, and wish the very best to its Infinite New Vindicators!

Oubliette for ever and ever folks.

Wait, it ends? :(

Meh. Maybe one day I'll work out the details with you and do an actual INV pbp...but not right now. I'm overcommitted as it is and there are some games I just won't give up in order to run another one.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah, this was really good stuff. And more would always be appreciated. I can't help but wonder how this class of '11 would handle Confectionary and Basilisk-and it'd be cool to see how the Earth 720 versions of those characters differ.

I will say Jason seemed a little more arrogant than usual, but I suppose having peak physical abilities and his brains would do that to a person.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Yeah, this was really good stuff. And more would always be appreciated. I can't help but wonder how this class of '11 would handle Confectionary and Basilisk-and it'd be cool to see how the Earth 720 versions of those characters differ.

I will say Jason seemed a little more arrogant than usual, but I suppose having peak physical abilities and his brains would do that to a person.

Hmmm...As far as jason goes, I was going for "confident in, and fully cognizant of" his NS capabilities. He knows he's highly intelligent and can pretty much "fake" any knowledge based skill. He also in confident in his assessment of his physical capabilities and their short-comings (thus the weapons). I also wanted to showcase that Jason would be smart enough to research the curriculum at his new school, including what would happen the first day (Blitz since he's coming in as a sophmore), which would lead him to research what information the school had on his classmates. This Jason isn't so much arrogant, as a Boy Scout... always prepared. On the flip side, when you're that smart, you're probably going to come off as a little full of yourself whether you plan on it or not.

Confectionary and Basilisk would require some serious rewriting on my part. First, Emily is already at NVAE and she's not a mind controller, so I'd have to replace her role (maybe bring in a revamped Eve)...and Vlad would definitely NOT stab Axeion in the eyes with shards of glass. He's got an Affliction power that is essentially sewing peoples eyes shut (those needles he summons have some brutal powers). Regardless, and fortunately for me...I'm leaving any potential different interpretation of that scenario to someone else to imagine.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Well, yeah, I didn't realize at first, but seeing how Vlad's power set is different, his mom's would have to be as well.

I'm really looking forward to the new builds too. I have to re-write Jay for 3E. As I recall, I did it once before, but wasn't 100% pleased.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 pm

And with that as an introduction...segue...whatever you would like to term it, I'll explain a little about the builds and then I'll post them.

First- These are really my first 3e builds, so I imagine there will be some errors in there construction, but, they shouldn't need more than minor tweaking.

Second- These builds may not be 100% complete. I only did as much work on them as I needed the flesh the concept out in my mind. This means, the reader will probably have to figure out things like Close/Ranged Combat Offense totals and whatnot.

Third- The builds will be posted alphabetically by codename, because that's how the stack sits on my desk.

Fourth- the builds are going up here, on this thread, as opposed to the builds page, because they relate to this story directly, not a continuing game or larger game world.

Fifth- If Michuru or the NVAE players wish to pinch any of these ideas...help yourselves, though you may need to do a little more work with them (see point one).

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Apocrypha (Emily Adler) PL 8
Inspired by GPrime

Gender- F Age-16 Ht.- 5'4" Wt.- 105lbs Eyes- Brown Hair- Brunette

Strength -1 Stamina 0 Agility 2 Dexterity 2 Fighting 1 Intellect 3 Awareness 8 Presence 8

Offense-

Initiative +2 Close Combat +1 Ranged Combat +2

Defense-

Dodge 6 Parry 4 Fortitude 4 Toughness 6 Will 8

Advantages-

Attractive, Equipment 1, Defensive Roll 4, Jack of All Trades, Language 2, Luck 1

Skills-

Deception 2 (+10), Persuasion 2(+10)

Powers-

Hegemony of Self [container]- Enhanced Awareness 4, Enhanced Presence 4, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Trance, Ultimate Will

Mystery & Imagination[linked array]- Illusions (Sight, Hearing, Area 3, Selective, Resistable by Will, Feedback]6
Affliction [Linked to Illusion, Perception range, Dazed, Defenseless, Asleep]8
.....AE: Affliction [Linked to Illusion, Perception range, Entranced, Compelled, Controlled]8
.....AE: Affliction[Linked to Illusion, Perception range, Impaired, Disabled, Unaware]8

Equipment- Uniform (Protection 2), Commlink, 2 unspent points.

Complications-
Responsibility (Family)
Responsibility (NVAE)

PP Totals: Abilities 30+ Powers 68+ Advantages 10+ Skills 2+ Defenses 11 =120

Emily, now as in her original incarnation remains a glass cannon. However, since her powers are Perception ranged, she really doesn't need to get all that close to her target to hit them with an Illusion linked to a debilitating Affliction effect. I like the new Linked where the powers don't have to be the same rank. This allows me to have an Illusion that someone can KNOW isn't real, but, much like being caught in a nightmare, they react to anyway. I can delineate the potential bifurcation between conscious reason and subconscious emotion without effort.

:arrow: Illusion is freakin' expensive, which was the driving force behind her low skill training. I gave her JoAT to compensate some. Still, since she's a looker, I felt at least a tiny bit of edge for the skills most likely to benefit from that feat was necessary.

:arrow: One of many of the PC builds without physical descriptors on their online cha. sheet over in NV, I made up Emily's myself.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Cacodemon (Jack Rexroth) PL 8
Inspired by Tattooedman

Gender- M Age-16 Ht- 5'9" Wt- 157lbs Eyes- Brown/Red Hair- Black

Strength 5 Stamina 5/9 Agility 3 Dexterity 3 Fighting 4/7 Intellect 0 Awareness 2 Presence 1

Offense-

Initiative +3, Close Combat +4/7, Ranged Combat +5

Defense-

Dodge 6 Parry 4/7 Fortitude 5/9 Toughness 5/9 Will 6

Advantages-

Languages 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Skills-

Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+3), Perception 2 (+4), Stealth 2(+5)

Powers-

The Devil Himself[container]- Enhanced Fighting 3, Enhanced Stamina 4, Flight(Wings) 6, Senses (Infravision, Detect Sentients)3, Immunity (life support, fear)11
Flaw: Activation -1pt, Noticeable -1pt

Brimstone[array]- Affliction (Ranged, Resisted by Fortitude, Dazed, Defenseless, Paralyzed)8
.....AE: Affliction (Area:Cone, Resisted by Fortitude, Dazed, Defenseless, Paralyzed)8
.....AE: Affliction (Ranged, Resisted by Will, Impaired, Stunned, Transformed)8

Smoke of Perdition-Environment:Visibility (Smoke) [2pp/rk] 3,

Dark Edges- Damage (Strength Based)4

Comforting Darkness- Regeneration 5

Complications-
Responsibility (NVAE)
Prejudice (Neo-Sapien)
Temper

PP Totals: Abilities 46+ Powers 58+ Advantages 5+ Skills 4+ Defenses 7= 120

Here's Jack, as he appears in the story. There are several powers he has that got no play, and you'll find that is an ongoing theme with many of these characters.

:arrow: Jack's container and it's effect on his stats is listed different than Emily's for a reason. Several of the characters as designed here have Activations on there Enhanced traits. Whenever that happens, the traits will be listed separately to differentiate the active and inactive attributes.

:arrow: In his Cacodemon form, Jack looks a bit like Man-Bat, except his face gets demonic, not batlike. Jack's Smoke of Perdition container is dependent on his The Devil Himself container (this obviously inhuman form) to function. The Brimstone array is usable in either form.

:arrow: Since my notes were incomplete and I knew the ability would get no play...I've now forgotten what the Transform effect on Jack's Affliction was supposed to represent. Feel free to imagine something suitable torturous and hellish. 8)

:arrow: Edited Jack to fix his power problems. I split his Smoke and his Damage out of a container and got the correct source power for the smoke. Amusingly enough, this allowed me to save enough points to add Jack's Regeneration back into his build. Thanks to Arthur Eld for inspiring me to revisit that issue.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

I really like Emily and Jack, HH. Can't wait to see the others.

About Jack's Containers, do they have to be linked? Conceptually, I didn't see that in the narrative. The way it set up now, using his Alternate Form also means he's constantly emitting smoke and, dealing damage, which would be more of an aura thing. Plus, there is again the problem of Concealment being Personal and Damage being Touch, not to mention they have different durations.

Why not make the Smoke of Perdition a Linked Power, but change the Concealment to Affliction (vision impaired) and give that power the Quirk-only while The Devil Himself is active?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Exemplar (Alex Murphy) PL 8
Inspired by Arkrite

Gender-Male Age-16 Ht.- 5'7" Wt.-165lbs Eyes- Brown Hair- Brunette

Strength 1 Stamina 4 Agility 8 Dexterity 6 Fighting 3 Intellect 2 Awareness 2 Presence 0

Offense-

Initiative +20, Close Combat +3, Ranged Combat +8

Defense-

Dodge 8, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4*/6, Will 6

Advantages-

Agile Feint, Daze (Deception), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Instant Up, Languages 2, Luck 2, Move-by-Action, Precise:Ranged 2(Cover,Concealment), Ranged Attack 2, Redirect

Skills-

Acrobatics 4(+12), Athletics 4(+5), Deception 6, Expertise:Music 4, Perception 4(+6), Persuasion 4, Stealth 4(+12)

Powers-

Fast as Light [container]- Enhanced Agility 4, Enhanced Dexterity 2, Enhanced Stamina 2, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Initiative 3, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 2), Speed 9

Photonic Burst [array]- Laser (Ranged Damage) 8
.....AE: Dazzle (Affliction, Ranged, Cumulative, Limited to sight, Res. by Will, Impaired, Disabled, Unaware)8
.....AE: Seizure(Affliction, Ranged, Resisted by Fortitude, Impaired, Stunned, Paralyzed)8
.....AE: Energy Aura (Damage, Close, Reaction)4
.....AE: Environment-Light (Eliminates all concealment from darkness, 2pt/rk, 170' Rad.)8
.....AE: Pulse Laser (Damage, Ranged, Multi-Attack)5

Complications-

Motivation: Doing good
Prejudice: Neo-Sapien

PP Totals: Abilities 36+ Powers 45+ Advantages 15+ Skills 15+ Defenses 9= 120

Amazingly, Alex was a build that was almost too easy. His powers translated well, in fact his overall efficacy may actually have risen. There are some advantages to having a build this focused.

:arrow: I actually held back a little building Lex. I refrained from adding any flaws or quirks reminiscent of the original character onto the build, because honestly...I didn't need any more points to work with.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:I really like Emily and Jack, HH. Can't wait to see the others.

About Jack's Containers, do they have to be linked? Conceptually, I didn't see that in the narrative. The way it set up now, using his Alternate Form also means he's constantly emitting smoke and, dealing damage, which would be more of an aura thing. Plus, there is again the problem of Concealment being Personal and Damage being Touch, not to mention they have different durations.

Why not make the Smoke of Perdition a Linked Power, but change the Concealment to Affliction (vision impaired) and give that power the Quirk-only while The Devil Himself is active?

See, this is one of those matters of interpretation. I don't see linked as meaning he's smoking and dealing damage constantly, but, rather he can ONLY do those things when the first container is active. I suppose, I could actually have slapped a Limited Flaw on the second container, but, I had my point limits somewhat set when I realized he could coat his hands/feet/wings in the damaging smoke/blackness at any time, no matter his physical appearance and I didn't want that. Not wanting to stop writing to tweak the character, I just took the quick fix.

I guess I could go back and properly work that out now...but, aside from an exercise in character building, I don't see the point. BTW- I DO like the new way of handling Linked. The powers involved have to share the same Range and that's it. Thus, I can do Emily's Affliction inducing Illusions simply by working the range of the Affliction up 2 steps. It's simple and it allows for the "staggered effect levels" so many people spent sooo much effort building before. If only everything in the new system had become so elegant.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:18 am

Final word on Jack's "Concealment-Area": After further reviewing of the powers in the RAW, what I should have used to simulate the effect I wanted was Environment:Visibility (defined as Smoke), at Rank 3, bought at 2pp/rank for a -5 modifier to visual perception checks within it (up to a 250 ft radius). We'll chalk that up to a live and learn.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Turns out that wasn't the "final word" on Jack after all. Seeing the errors I made, I went back and edited the sheet...and Jack became even bad-ass..ier. Turns out I can't just leave well enough alone, or chalk things up to character building experience after all.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”