Tales of the Tattooverse: SiaSP Part 10

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 6

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Wow. I took a gander at the Project: Freedom (B-team) game and it looks great! It also looks like I could spend from now until my 46th birthday reading it all, so I'm just going to try to figure this out as I read. What can I say? At a certain point, the inherently lazy part of me wins the dice toss.

Still, I think I have the general concept of these characters now. Can Charlie come over and play? I'm sorry, but who could resist a hot, ripped, smart-@$$ chick, with a hammer? :twisted:

Have I mentioned this post that I'm really diggin' (to use some archaic slang) this story?

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 6

Postby 9thDoctor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:39 am

Not just you. Vega was my favourite of his old team...now "teaming up" ith Project freedom? that's like a double helping of my mother's meatloaf with awesome-sauce poured over it. And trust me...that meatloaf is the best!

Can't wait to read the next chapter.
Also, Tattoo, it could be a good idea to have Project Freedom cross the path of Vega's player a few times. Always nice to see how a true comic hero deals with the former criminals and their "unorthodox" tactics.

I always was a big fan of Thunderbolts (Pre-Civil War which has ruined them). So I really like the baddies-gone-good routine.
St.Louis Blues - GM
X-Freshmen - GM (on Hold)

La Rana - New FORCE Ops (on Hold)
CeeCee - Wild Cards (on Hold)

My Roll Call - The Doctor's Original Builds
The Doctor's Conversions

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 7

Postby Tattooedman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 7: The Angry Man

Jon stood in silence as he tried to absorb the scene that was playing out in front of him: The guy he’d just met only minutes ago just revealed his own set of powers and had dealt with the vast majority of the gunmen who’d taken a few dozen hostages at the Super Museum and now he was focusing all kinds of parental anger at their leader since he’d made the mistake of taking Donnie’s daughter hostage.

Man, I gotta stop going to museums……nothing but trouble every damn time.

Jon’s mind was pulled back to his surroundings as he spotted one of the remaining mook gunmen leveling his gun at Donnie while he was busy talking to the leader, such a cheap move made Jon see red. In more ways than one.

“Eat this jerk-o!” He yelled as the crimson energy burst from his eyes, striking his unwitting target squarely in the chest, knocking him back almost twenty feet into the far wall. The gunman landed near the entrance to the display room and once he slid down to the floor his limp form made it clear he’d not be getting back up anytime soon.

Jon smiled as he rose into the air. Now for a change of clothes. With that he gave the mental trigger needed to transform his street clothes into his new costume. Suddenly his whole body was wrapped in total blackness from head to toe for several seconds until parts of the black melted away in certain areas revealing the red parts of it’s design and the matching red helmet fully formed around his head. It was different compared to how his other outfit had materialized but he had to admit: it was a pretty cool thing to see.

As he hovered in the air, now officially revealed as a costumed hero Vega looked at the remaining gunman who’d pointed his weapon at him. “Really? Do you really thing that’s gonna work at this point?” The gunman looked at his gun for a moment then back up at Vega, then over at his fellow gunman who’d just been taken down by Vega then back at his weapon again.

As the gun clattered to the floor it’s former owner dropped to his knees, putting his hands on top of his head. “I SURRENDER!”

Vega smiled down at the man. “Good choice, cause most guys in your line of work have crappy dental plans. Now you stay outta trouble till the police get here or I’ll make sure your dentist will be able to put his kids through college on your dime.” As the gunman frantically nodded his agreement to the terms Vega heard Donnie shouting.

“Let’s see how youse like gettin’ pulled ‘round by sumthing stronger than youse!” Donnie growled at the lead gunman, who just moment before had been threatening Mallory at gunpoint as he moved a hand in the man’s direction then up into the air.

The lead gunman couldn’t even begin to give any kind of a response when he lifted into the air, straight into the ceiling above him at a speed that made a NASCAR race seem slow. The impact of his body hitting the structure echoed throughout the room as the remaining people who had just moments ago been held hostage by the armed men realized this was their chance to get away from the situation.

"What kind of bastard are youse?! Pullin’ guns on folks an’ threatenin’ kids?! Ah ain’t never hadda do anything like that back when Ah wuz a crook. But youse? Yer a #%$@in’ moron ya mook! Too dumb ta learn how ta do anything more complex then pull a trigger an’ look big an’ bad. It’s the jerkasses like youse that give respectable criminals a bad name."

The whole time he was talking Donnie kept the lead gunman pinned to the ceiling as he deprived him of his weapon by pulling it from his hands with enough kinetic force that the man’s wrist broke. Which brought a muffled cry of pain from the pinned gunman as Donnie raised higher into the air towards him until finally he was almost face to face with him. Donnie looked at the man for a moment, his anger still plain on his face though much more under control at this point. The man was scared, that was obvious just from the look on his face. Clearly he’d not had to deal with an actual super human before and had never had any trouble dealing with normal people which had made him arrogant and mean. A simple bully who’d never dealt with anyone stronger than him before and now he had finally met that person and he realized he was almost totally helpless against him.

Donnie looked the man directly in the eyes. “Youse realize Ah could crush pretty much every bone in yer body with just a thought? Or toss you sumwhere ‘round Detroit right? No trouble at all fer me, but Ah’m not gonna do anything like that, it’d make me too much like youse an’ Ah’ve gotta little girl ta go home ta that Ah still wanna see onna regular basis.”

At Donnie’s words the gunman’s face relaxed, most of the worst fears he’d been contemplating had been soothed by Donnie’s statement. Donnie saw the reaction and shook his head from side to side with small, steady, determination.

“Don’t go gettin’ all cocky again now, Ah didn’t say Ah wuz gonna let youse off the hook fer what ya did ta muh little girl.” Donnie drew back his arm and simply punched the man right in the face, the man’s nose crumpled immediately under the blow. Blood gushed out and dropped to the floor as Donnie followed up with a punch from his other hand which finished the process of breaking the man’s nose. His yelps and tear of pain brought no pity from Donnie, the man deserved this in his mind and Donnie had an old school line of thought. If you screwed up and whoever was in charge decided you needed a couple of good licks to drive home the point then that was what you got and this guy was definitely in need of a good half dozen or so.

As Donnie drew back his other arm to hit the pinned gunman again Jon appeared behind him and grabbed Donnie’s wrist as he spoke a single word.

“Enough.” Jon’s tone of voice wasn’t threatening, it wasn’t judging, it wasn’t even any kind of unspoken threat. It was just a simple statement of fact.

Donnie turned back and looked at Jon for several moments, the look in his eyes showed just how angry he was. The hurt of not being able to keep his child safe, of watching some stranger take her from him and then to so casually threaten her to get what he wanted without any kind of hesitation. It was a kind of anger that Jon really couldn’t understand too well, though he remembered a few times when Alexis had been hurt during a fight and the anger he felt towards the person responsible. Jon was sure the anger burning in Donnie was something greater than he’d ever felt in his life, he felt sorry for the fact that he’d had to gone through it. But he wouldn’t let Donnie make a mistake that he could come to regret later on after he’d calmed down.

“He’s done, let him down and let’s wait on the cops to show. You’re legit now right? Or working on it so don’t let this low-life take away all that you’ve managed to get so far. Do you think she’d understand why you couldn’t be around anymore?” Jon was hoping that his best impression of something Sentry would have said would work, he didn’t want to mix it up with Donnie. He seemed to be an alright kind of guy, he’d just made some bad choices in his life.

Finally Donnie’s arm relaxed in Jon’s grip and his head lowered slightly as he processed the words said to him. Jon slowly released his hold on Donnie’s wrist and the other man simply lowered down to the floor while Jon followed him. Once they were on the ground Donnie looked over at Jon.

“Youse realize Ah could’ve just crushed the hell outta him with a thought right?

Jon gave a slight nod. “Yeah, figured as much but I was hoping whatever Project: Freedom was wouldn’t let someone with your kind of power out of jail without you having some kind of restraint.” He put a hand on Donnie’s shoulder as he continued. “Look I ain’t gonna stand here and say I understand where you’re coming from but I do know that you made sure Mallory was safe before you did anything and that says a lot about the kind of guy you are. I get your mad and your totally right to feel that way but you can’t just go off like that, it could end up screwing up whatever it is you’ve got going with that Project: Freedom.”

Donnie shook his head. “Yeah Ah know.” He leveled his eyes with Jon’s as he continued. “It’s just that wuz the first time she’s ever been involved with stuff like what Ah do with Project: Freedom an’ seein’ her upset like that and feelin’ so powerless ta do anything ‘bout it pushed me inna way Ah hadn‘t ever been pushed before.” His voice was heavy with regret and he seemed to have trouble just keeping a guilty look out of his eyes while he spoke, it was a good sign but Jon still felt bad for him. This guy had just faced what’s probably most parent’s nightmare and he didn’t react too well to it and now it looked like he was beating himself up over it.

“Look, here’s how I see it: you kept your kid safe, took care of most those mooks all by yourself, made it possible for all the other hostages to get away without them getting hurt and dealt with the guy that was manhandling you kid. Not too damn bad honestly. All I could do was twiddle my thumbs trying to figure out a way to take most those goons out and then I only dealt with the other two that weren’t affected by whatever that was you did.” As Jon jerked a thumb over his shoulder at the other gunmen, still pretty much moving at super-slow motion behind them.

Donnie tilted his head to the side as he shrugged. “Maybe, but Ah still shoulda handled that better.”

Jon shook his head. “Prolly could’ve, but this whole “hero“ thing is a matter of live and learn I‘ve found.” Jon’s eyes rolled slightly at the last part of his sentence. “A whole lot of live and learn .” He glances over his shoulder for a moment then turns back to Donnie. “Shouldn’t we take their guns away from ‘em? They could eventually get a couple shots off ya know.”

Donnie grinned at Jon’s question. “Ah guess there’s a chance they might finally manage ta squeeze those triggers at some point. Hope youse has got sum muscle on ya, yer gonna need it ta pull those guns away from ‘em.”

Jon returned the grin and flexed both his arms. “Please. You think I wear this tight fitting outfit just because I like it? Gotta hype the gun show.”

It was only a few minutes after that the police arrived and quickly made their way into the museum and began to take custody of the gunmen while the lead officers were taking statements from Jon and Donnie. When they were finally done reporting what had happened to the authorities the pair walked, though it seemed that Donnie’s idea of walking was to hover several inches off the ground, outside into the still sunny day late afternoon.

“So now what happens?” Jon hadn’t ever dealt with a parolee, let alone one with powers that looked to be just strong as his own.

Donnie sighed as he looked over at Liberty Park for a moment. “Well Ah need ta get back ta Project: Freedom an’ check in with Ms. Wainwright so Ah kin let her know what went down an’ pick Mallory up from the “sitters” Ah set up on the fly. Then Ah gotta get her home and tell her ma’ what went down.” He shook his head as if he wasn’t looking forward to the experiences to come.

Jon recognized that look. It was one he‘d seen in the mirror before he‘d had to break a date with Jenny before they‘d took a ‘long break‘ since he‘d been so distant. “Need some company? I’m still kinda new in town, so I figure getting to know some of the folks round here would be a good idea.”

Donnie glanced over at Jon with the surprise clear on his face. “Youse sure? The gang kin be a bit much at first.”

Jon grinned. “I ain’t told you ‘bout my buddy Ashmoore yet.”

To be continued…..
Next Time: REALLY? More guests? Aren’t you tired of boring everyone with your take on their characters?

Be quiet you. This is my version of FC. You’ll see.

Hack.

I heard that.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 7

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:09 am

Really. More quests...please. I'll have K-9 share his milk bones, if it'll help convince you. 8)

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 am

Horsenhero wrote:Really. More quests...please. I'll have K-9 share his milk bones, if it'll help convince you. 8)

:roll:
And the moral of this is make sure not to put all your faith in spell checker if the word you mis-spell somehow manages to correctly spell another word.

:roll:

-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:47 am

Actually, the moral is READ CAREFULLY, don't just skim. Because quests and guests are two different things...though, Vega could invite his guests on his quests...that would be the best! :P

I am SOOOO, very Sesame Street some days.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Actually, the moral is READ CAREFULLY, don't just skim. Because quests and guests are two different things...though, Vega could invite his guests on his quests...that would be the best! :P

I am SOOOO, very Sesame Street some days.

I get stuck on "plague" and "plaque" frequently...
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place Part 8: Bad Company

Postby Tattooedman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Stanger in a Strange Land: Part 8: Bad Company:

Flying above the building in Freedom City, Jon was surprised that he'd spent so long at Project: Freedom. It was around seven at night now, he'd spent the better part of the afternoon meeting them and ended up invited to stay for the grill out they were having. The whole thing seemed odd at first to Jon to socialize with criminals, super criminals no less, but they'd been so welcoming to him since Donnie had explained how Jon had helped him at the museum he felt like it would have been rude not to take them up on the offer.

After the meal he stayed around talking with the different members of the project, mostly about the incident at the museum but a bit about what they did for the city. It was an interesting idea he had to admit, it was worth mentioning to Sentry once he got home he mused. Sentry could look into the workability of the idea, he knew more folks involved with the city government than Jon did. As a group though, Donine's friends were an odd assortment of people. Between Charlie and Donna, the two most extreme opposites in the scale of woman mentalities Jon had ever seen, added with the man simply called Zalman.....all mixed together with a couple other people Jon hadn't met since they were still out and Donnie? It was a pretty diverse grouping of personalities to say the least. But they seemed to be able to handle themselves well enough from the stories they'd told.

As he was landing at Freedom Hall's roof Jon smiled a slight smile. It had been a couple days since he'd thought about his home and he felt a pang of guilt almost, like if he didn't spend some part of his day thinking about home he would somehow forget about it. He ran the I.D. card he'd been supplied with through the slot provided on the door and walked down the flight of stairs until he was on the second floor where his room was. It had really been a long day, between the museum and dinner with the project gang Jon was starting to feel somewhat worn. Maybe all that arm wrestling with Charlie wasn't such a good idea. Jon thought to himself as he triggered his costume's change back into his normal clothing and then stripped out of them so he could shower.

Thirty minutes later Jon was flipping through the channels on his tv, trying to figure out if he wanted to watch the news or something called "Behind the Music". He knew he should probably watch the news, it would help him figure out more things about the world he was now living on but he was really interested to see if Aerosmith's history here was the same as it was where he came from. So he split the difference, watching the news but when the addvertisements came on he flipped back to the documentry to fill the time though he ended up missing a fair amount on both due to his flipping back and forth. He was saved from his plight by a knock on his door.

That's odd. I ain't had any visitors since I moved in here, wonder who it could be? Jon wondered as he jumped up to answer the door. Upon opening the door he found nobody there, even as he looked down the hallway he couldn't see or hear anyone. It wasn't until he started to turn around that he caught notice of something black colored and rectangular on the light grey tile floor. He bent down, picked it up and read it.

“Mr. Infamy,
Your Deepest Desires Can Be Yours.
Freedom City, 666-666-6666.”

The letters were a reflective gold coloring which was a vast contrast the the ebony black of the card and made them stand out all the more. Jon flipped the card over, checking to see if there was anything on the back but discovered nothing so he simply shrugged, closed the door and returned to his chair. He'd no sooner sat back down when the sudden sound of another person clearing his throat startled him enough that he flew several feet up into the air as his ears tracked the sound's source. Straight to the couch on the far wall where an older man sat, wearing an impecable looking black, three piece suit. He had a smile that reminded Jon a bit of Mr. Gavin, the man who he gotten his powers from, and Norman Bates. Relaxing, sweet, honest but hiding some kind of dark secret hidden just below that outer surface.

Somehow the man had gained a glass of liquor that he had been swirling around just before bringing it just under his nose to inhale the aroma of the liquid held in it. His smile deepened and Jon started to get slightly nervous, he was only wearing a bathrobe after all. It was this moment that the man decided to finally speak though, "I see your not much for subtly are you Mr. Armstrong?" His voice was deep and smooth, with a tone that could relax most any person. Jon's eyebrows shot up in response, bringing a slight chuckle from the man.

Jon lowered himself back down to the floor. "Alright, it looks like your here to talk 'bout something so do you mind while I go and make myself a bit more presentable first?" Jon's tone wasn't aggressive but it clearly wasn't friendly either. Whoever this man was he had some serious power to him if he's just able to appear in a place like Freedom Hall but he wanted to act like he was a causual guest of Jon's for some reason. Plus his reaction to Jon's statement was to simply take a sample of his drink, not really even paying attention to the words being said to him.

As he pulled the glass away from his lips, the man shook his head from side to side. "Oh no, don't go through any trouble on my account Mr. Armstrong. Your usual work wear will suffice for the purpose of this visit, really I don't mind go ahead and make you change." When Jon hesitated the man smiled again. "Ah, I see. You don't want to show off or some such other nonsense, I can understand that. Here allow me to help you then and it won't be you showing off." With that the man casually waved his empty hand and suddenly Jon felt the tingling sensation that preceded his costume's coming, within seconds Jon was dressed in the red and black cosutme of Vega.

Jon's hands flexed into fists as he started to lift off the ground, the growing glare on his face was clear despite the helmet he wore as crimson energy filled his eyes.

Taking in the sight of Vega in front of him the man waved his index finger back and forth in the familar "no, no, no." pattern. "Allow me to explain somewhat Mr. Armstrong since you're new in town, so to speak. You see better men and women than you have tried the same thing you are thinking right now and I'm still here. So why don't you relax some and listen to what I have to say Mr. Armstrong?" He gestured towards the chair behind Jon he had been sitting in before all this had started.

"I'll stand." Jon answered back, his tone not changing one bit though the energy had faded from his eyes.

The man's smile reappeared. "Of course you will, now where are my manners. I'm sorry, my name is Mr. Infamy and I'm here to offer you your deepest desire; a way back to your original home." He let the words hang in the air for a few seconds, allowing Jon to process them before speaking again. "For a small favor of course."

To be continued........
Next Time: That's IT!! Stick a fork in me, I'm done with this job!

-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 8

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Y'know TM, that's a really nice segue piece, but, it'll only bring more pestering from this guy in Illinois. Now we all know, that if the rest of the writers on the board here teamed up, we might...maybe...equal "you know who's" output, but, I find it kinda funny that he can bully us into putting out chapters within a week after having been non-productive for so long.

Still, that's a nice segue...though I really am going to have to get some FC source material. Mr. Infamy? Is he like FC's answer to Mephisto? Ugh. I can already feel money bleeding out of my pockets.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:37 pm

See it's not that "He-from-Illinois-who-won't-be-name" guilts me into getting a new story done up. The funny irony to me is that for the last 2 weeks I've been working on bits & pieces of new story parts and then you-know-who finally gets tired of my procrastination and says something (such a patient fan though) and I start organizing myself a bit more and then ~POOF~ a new part is done & posted up.

He's done that to me every time. I'm starting to think he's some kind of Esper who can pick up my brain waves from a state or two away.

Glad you liked the new part HH. It was one of my favorites to write so far.

As for Mr. Infamy? Yeah, your comparison is pretty close IMO. Infamy just has a waaay better tailor.

-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Tattooedman wrote:As for Mr. Infamy? Yeah, your comparison is pretty close IMO. Infamy just has a waaay better tailor.

He's still a jerk :twisted:

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 am

Shock wrote:He's still a jerk :twisted:

But you've gotta admit, he's a well dressed jerk. Besides, you're pretty biased as it is buddy. :wink:

-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:38 am

Tattooedman wrote:But you've gotta admit, he's a well dressed jerk. Besides, you're pretty biased as it is buddy. :wink:

If you can find someone who thinks he isn't a jerk, I'll admit bias ;}

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 am

DId somebody say my name?

Mr Infamy is interestin in mind because he supposed to be evil. Yet, thus far, every act I've seen him do can be, given a little time and thought, a move towards some greater good.

I've always seen him as an being with almost infinite power, but restrained by large amounts of rules.

He cannot act directly.
He can only act if he's made a deal with somebody.
He has to get something in trade for every deal he makes.
He cannot be hurt, but he cannot directly do harm.

I started wondering about him in Davies game when it was made apparent that a mysterious person had created the portal in exchange for the arcane library of their world's greatest mage. It seemed like a strange request for somebody who had nearly limitless power, why would you want these books?
Three obvious options
1) He's looking for an escape to that which binds him
2) He needed the books for a faustian bargan
3) He wanted to open the portal, but he can't do anything for free.

A bunch of books from a guy who was expecting to die, and knew he'd never be able to take his books with him anyways (how could they have ever found the time to take those as well as save everybody, right?)

The next time we run into him he orchistrates an incident which has a few interesting reprecussions
1) Ritter is now responsible for leading the capture of most of G'Tach, probably repairing a section of his currently bad reputation.
2) It set up a situation for the White Lady and Leslie to finally come to terms with their relationship
3) It introduced Ritter and McBride who's own future might be in question
4) He went out of his way to inform Songbird about what her father was going to do.

And when she finally was willing to deal with him? He said no.

It could be him giving her a warning the only way he's allowed to, by offering her a deal. You need to convince your Dad to stop this. And there was no reason why he didn't have to accept her deal.

Of course one could say that Robin's actions made her father's deal a more likely reality and that he was the more valuable one out of the two...

And to be fair, while he did bring in the entirity of G'Tach to vent their rage on McBride, he brought them in such a manner that none of them were aware of Songbird who was perfectly placed to save them.

Technically his very existance could be explained away as an entity of nessessary evil. He offers deals, and sets up bad situations to make sure that heroes exist when the people need them. Does he do terrible things? Yes, sometimes he does. But do the results of these deals show greater good in the end?

The Time of Vengance he gave the G'Tach their powers, and the end result was
1) Project Freedom became famous and opened ties to superteams throughout the city
2) The Angel of Death came to terms with the misdeeds in her past
3) Toxic finally started her long journy towards recovery
4) The eventual creation of the B-Team

And the point where he offered them the power to take down G'Tach? Just as Savant suggested, he offered to make them aware that they COULD defeat them, to help catalyse and strengthen their resolve.

Of course he could just be pure absolute evil. Who knows, right? ;~)

Honestly I'm half tempted to have Zane's first response upon seeing Mr Infamy to be:
"Dad?" ;~)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Yesh. What are you, his lawyer? ;}

Return to “M&M Story Hour”