Tales of the Tattooverse: SiaSP Part 10

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 3

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Don't feel bad Tat-man (do I hear theme music?), at least he decided to go with the Nova outfit from the Mark Bagley days on NW, as opposed to the one with the spikey things off the elbows and knees. His powers don't seem to be EXACTLY identical and his civilian name isn't alliterative, so it isn't too bad. Anyway, there isn't a single GM in the world, I don't think, who hasn't had a player fall back on an already existing heroes powerset or look when they couldn't think of something new and special. PLUS, he gets Ashmoore to pal around with instead of Speedball and that in and of itself is a vast improvement.

I am, as always, looking forward to the next chapter, though I'm hopin' he gets back home soon. I'm curious to find out more about the rest of the Alliance.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 3

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Don't feel bad Tat-man (do I hear theme music?), at least he decided to go with the Nova outfit from the Mark Bagley days on NW, as opposed to the one with the spikey things off the elbows and knees. His powers don't seem to be EXACTLY identical and his civilian name isn't alliterative, so it isn't too bad. Anyway, there isn't a single GM in the world, I don't think, who hasn't had a player fall back on an already existing heroes powerset or look when they couldn't think of something new and special. PLUS, he gets Ashmoore to pal around with instead of Speedball and that in and of itself is a vast improvement.

Well there is that comfort on the costume, it's my personal favorite of Nova. Though trying to come up with a character nowadays that isn't influenced in some way, shape or form is a hard thing to do. Describe what you're wanting your original character to have power-wise and 9 out of 10 times I could probably give you 2 or 3 names of major named characters yours is similar to.

Though the post where I was going on about the player's choice for Vega's new look was mostly a little joke at the player's expense. :D

But thanks for giving another way of looking at it.

Horsenhero wrote:I am, as always, looking forward to the next chapter, though I'm hopin' he gets back home soon. I'm curious to find out more about the rest of the Alliance.

Well, he should be back at some point but for a while Vega's going to be part of the World of Freedom for a fair amount of time. Though I do plan to add a couple side stories about the rest of the group while he's gone. But fair warning these will be total original creations on my part instead of being based on game sessions, so they will be slower in coming.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 5

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 am

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 5: Making Friends:

He watched as the little girl in front of him looked at the displays with obvious wonder and he really couldn’t blame her. Seeing the recreation of the Freedom League as they faced off against the Crime League, at life size no less, was pretty impressive. from the few times he’d managed to meet some of the members it looked like whoever had made the scene had excellent references and was good at their job.

The attention to detail was impressive, the tinting of the glass eyes the replica of Dr. Metropolis was so dead on that it was almost creepy. He was almost waiting for the statue to speak to him, as the few times he’d met the real Dr. Metropolis reminded him of a life-sized statue. The little girl’s voice broke his line of thought as she called out to him.

“Where’s he at Daddy?” Her naturally curly hair bounced around her head as she moved herself about, trying to locate a specific member of the League in the display and he couldn’t help but smile broadly at the question. It wasn’t often he had the chance to do things with her like this and he planned to enjoy it.

As he brushed a bit of his blonde hair from his face he leaned down and pointed towards the other side of the “in the round” display. “It looks like he’s over there fightin’ with Wildcard.” His voice had an odd accent to it, gained while from living with a man of questionable means and learning all that he could from him so that he could support his dying mother, but he’d lived his entire life in Freedom City despite sounding like he’d grown in New Jersey. “See him yet squirt?” He asked as he watched the little girl stand up on her tiptoes and lean from side to side in an effort to locate where he’d been pointing to.

“I SEE HIM!!” She suddenly shouted and took off at a full run around the edges of the display as he tried not to fall over from her almost running him over, grabbing the railing to hold himself steady as he shook his head. A grin was still on his face as he muttered to himself. “Least she’s not takin’ off at anything quicker than whatta six-year-old’s legs’ll go yet.” He regained his composure and made his way after her, making sure to keep his feet on the ground and move no quicker than a normal father chasing after his daughter would.

As he came around the display he saw that she’d run herself into a younger man who had probably been looking at the display. She seemed alright, she wasn’t crying or anything but she seemed to be startled to find herself sitting on her rear-end on the floor with the victim of her charge starting to bend down towards her with his hand held out towards her, trying to talk to her and get her up off the floor.

“You alright? Do you need a hand up?” The younger man said to the little girl, his tone was easy and friendly. Clearly he was only trying to be helpful to her.

For her part the girl only stared wordlessly at the younger man, it was at this point her father came close enough to be heard. “Sorry ‘bout that. She’s always takin’ off on me like that when she sees sumthing she wants ta check out.” His tone was upbeat but his eyes told a different story as they quickly gave the younger man a full once over from head to toe, and once he was satisfied with what he saw he turned his attention to his downed daughter. “Youse alright Mallory? Ya didn’t hurt yerself or nuthin’ did ya?” He helped her to stand up and dusted off any possible real or imagined dirt from her while she suddenly became shy and hid her face against his chest. “Yeah, yer alright. Just scared yerself runnin’ inta this guy.”

Looking up at the younger man, the father pried himself free of the girl’s grip, stood up and extended his hand in greeting. “Sorry ‘bout that. Ah’m Donnie Benis an’ you’ve already met muh daughter, Mallory.” He nods down at the girl as he gives her name while she hides her face against the side of his leg this time. “An’ now she’s gonna get shy on ya.” Donnie grinned as he look back at the younger man, waiting.

Jon took the offered hand and gave it an easy, polite shake. “No worries. It happens, just kid stuff. I’m Jon Armstrong.” He looked down at the mound of curly hair, a smile plain on his face. “Nice to meet you Mallory.” At the sound of Jon saying her name, Mallory crunched herself all the tighter to Donnie’s leg in an effort to hide better from him, which in turn brought a slight chuckle form Donnie.

“Yer fightin’ the lost cause there. She aint’ gonna talk ta ya ‘less Ah make her.” He placed a hand on Malloy’s shoulders and gave her a supportive rub while he spoke to comfort her.

Jon chuckled at the sight. “Don’t worry about it. No harm, no foul.” Jon was still trying to get over the sound of Donnie’s accent. Man, it’s like watching a Rocky movie marathon kinda. I’m gonna have the way this guy sounds stuck in my head for days. He gave a different answer instead of what he had been thinking. “I was just way too into the display.” He jerked a thumb over his shoulder at the display behind him. “It’s something else to see. Really great details and it’s life-sized? Just amazing how good it is.”

Donnie nodded along as Jon spoke. “New ta town, huh?”

Jon’s face fell flat immediately. “It’s that obvious?”

The grin on Donnie’s face grew just slightly wider at the sound of Jon’s embarrassment, he hadn’t meant to do that to him but it was funny to catch him on it. “Only once ya started talkin’ ‘bout the display an’ all. Anybody that’s lived here a couple o’ years is so usta seein’ the League in action that seein’ these things..” He off handedly gestures in the direction of the display, “are nice work an’ all, but they ain’t the same as the real deal.”

Jon looked back at the display for a moment and he realized that Donnie was right. The statues were good work but when compared to the live members of the League they were kind of flat. Though it was actually the villains that Jon had been looking at but he didn’t think that sharing that was a good idea. But that was part of why he’d come to the Super Museum, to learn the names and faces of some of the well known criminals in case he came across them at some point.

“Yeah. I can see what you mean.” Jon shifted his feet, feeling somewhat awkward in the moment. “Well, I’ll let you two get back to enjoying your day out.” He smiled and gave a small wave to Mallory, who’d slowly brought her face out from hiding to stare at him. When she made eye contact with Jon she quickly returned her face to it’s hiding place against Donnie’s leg.

Donnie chuckled again at her reaction. “Alright, ya have a good day yerself an’ take care. Freedom City kin be a bit tuff on ya ‘til yer used ta it.”

The slight irony in the statement brought a grin to Jon’s face as he fought the urge to laugh. You have NO idea how true that one is pal.

“I’ll keep that in mind, thanks Donnie. Nice to meet you.” With a nod Jon walked away from the father and daughter as he looked at the map of the museum he’d picked up on his way in, looking for another area he may be interested in checking out.

“Notta problem, youse take care like Ah said.” As Jon walked away Donnie turned his attention down to Mallory, still clinging to his leg and just starting to bring her face out from it’s hiding place. “Youse ready ta see the section ’bout Johnny Rocket now?” Once Mallory quietly dipped her head once in response while a small smile in it’s beginning stages of forming on her mouth Donnie smiled as he pushed a few stray strands of her hair from her face. “Then let’s get movin’ then squirt.”

It was that moment when a commotion in the crowd began. The early murmurings of disagreement quickly turned to panicked yelling as men in brownish-red jumpsuits pulled off their coats and revealed the weapons that had been underneath started shoving people out of their way.

This was the sounds that drew the attention of both Donnie and Jon.

As soon as he heard the yelling, Donnie picked Mallory up with one arm while bringing his other arm that had his communicator on it to his mouth in a practiced motion. “Oh hell, another day off down the crapper.”

Before he could say anything into the device on his wrist one of the men noticed him and brought his weapon to bear upon him. Donnie froze in place, not saying another word. The gunman smiled a predatory smile as he recognized Donnie’s surrender and motioned with the business end of his weapon for Donnie and Mallory to join the growing grouping of people that the other gunmen were feeding as well.

When Jon saw the armed men he knew that he had to get somewhere out of sight long enough to change but he had no idea where he could go. As he watched the men herding the people into controllable groups he realized that anything he’d try to do right now could only make things worse.

With a look that clearly showed his growing unhappiness with the situation, Jon did like so many of the other people around were doing; putting his hands up into the air and following the directions given by the gunmen as to where they were to go.

As he walked to where he’d been pointed Jon looked around at all the gunmen he’d have to deal with. Gotta be about ten of theses jokers, and I’ve got no way to get my radio to call for help and tons of hostages. MAN!! I’m really starting to not like museums!

To be continued…..
Next Time: Vega’s first team up in the World of Freedom.

-- Chiun

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 5

Postby Jalinth » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

You'd think people would learn not to take hostages in Freedom City. I pity those poor criminals. It would be safer to have John McClane as one of your hostages.

And if they hurt Mallory, I doubt even death would save them.

Can't wait for the next part.
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Sadly, I must confess I know next to nothing about the Freedom City campaign setting. I've only dealt with two settings myself, the first is the New West, which is my home brewed setting and the second is Wild Cards, because the novels kick @$$. In a way, Vega's solo adventures are almost as good as a team comic for me, because except for having seen their pictures all over my M&M books, all these characters are new to me.

Though for the safety of the cultured members of society in all dimensions...perhaps Vega should find a different hobby other than going to museums. I hear movies are nice. :mrgreen:

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Though for the safety of the cultured members of society in all dimensions...perhaps Vega should find a different hobby other than going to museums. I hear movies are nice. :mrgreen:

I don't see Vega as a museum-going type. I mean, I can see Alexis dragging him to the IMA and commenting over how torturous it is that Van Gogh is flanked by more Abstract Impressionists like Cezanne, Vuillard and Roussel. She would stand and tilt her head, absorbing the totality of the painting and smiling at the sheer density of of Van Gogh's brushstrokes--the thick ridges of paint jutting from the canvas--and Jon would walk up to the nearest security guard, take the free map visitors are handed, and ask, "Can you show me on here where I have to go to get a beer?"

Maybe Vega could start building model airplanes? That's a pretty safe hobby...
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Jalinth wrote:You'd think people would learn not to take hostages in Freedom City. I pity those poor criminals. It would be safer to have John McClane as one of your hostages.

And if they hurt Mallory, I doubt even death would save them.

Can't wait for the next part.

Do worry. They do something much worse, kinda.

Horsenhero wrote:Though for the safety of the cultured members of society in all dimensions...perhaps Vega should find a different hobby other than going to museums.

After this I'm thinking that not even Alexis could get Jon into a museum if she was bringing beer inside it for him.

Michuru81 wrote:I don't see Vega as a museum-going type. I mean, I can see Alexis dragging him to the IMA and commenting over how torturous it is that Van Gogh is flanked by more Abstract Impressionists like Cezanne, Vuillard and Roussel. She would stand and tilt her head, absorbing the totality of the painting and smiling at the sheer density of of Van Gogh's brushstrokes--the thick ridges of paint jutting from the canvas--and Jon would walk up to the nearest security guard, take the free map visitors are handed, and ask, "Can you show me on here where I have to go to get a beer?"

How'd you manage to get your hands on my plans for their first date after Jon got home?

Michuru81 wrote:Maybe Vega could start building model airplanes? That's a pretty safe hobby...

Right, the guy with enough strength to tear solid metal trying not to glue his fingers together and not break tiny, plastic plane parts. :roll: (I can't even do that one.)

I don't think I could post what Jon's response to that experience would be. Family friendly standards here and all. :wink:

-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 am

Tattooedman wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:I don't see Vega as a museum-going type. I mean, I can see Alexis dragging him to the IMA and commenting over how torturous it is that Van Gogh is flanked by more Abstract Impressionists like Cezanne, Vuillard and Roussel. She would stand and tilt her head, absorbing the totality of the painting and smiling at the sheer density of of Van Gogh's brushstrokes--the thick ridges of paint jutting from the canvas--and Jon would walk up to the nearest security guard, take the free map visitors are handed, and ask, "Can you show me on here where I have to go to get a beer?"

How'd you manage to get your hands on my plans for their first date after Jon got home?

I'm you, from the future. Invest all your money in White Cheddar Cheez-Its; when the market bounces back, it's Sunshine's tasty little snack that saves us.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 am

"You see a priceless french painting. I see a drunk naked girl..." Brad Paisley -'I'm still a guy'

Y'know as the only working cowboy-gamer (ever probably) I'm aware of, it's rare that I find a moment when my two lives intersect and yet, Jon's potential museum escapades are that moment. Keep writing Tattooed man, this just keeps getting better and better.

Between you me and the fence post though, I'm down to about five hours of sleep a day. Ranch work, horse work, reading fiction from you, Michiru and Cobalt-blue, working on my own writing and games and of course...quality time with my puppy leaves very little time for being unconcious. Oy...it's a good thing I'm old and don't need much sleep.

And listen to yourself from the future...White cheddar cheeze-itz are divinity in small square form.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am

Horsenhero wrote:"You see a priceless french painting. I see a drunk naked girl..." Brad Paisley -'I'm still a guy'

Nice song reference. One of my personal favorites, I hadn't really thought about comparing Jon's mentality to it but now that you mention it...... It does seem to fit him doesn't it?

Horsenhero wrote:"Y'know as the only working cowboy-gamer (ever probably) I'm aware of, it's rare that I find a moment when my two lives intersect and yet, Jon's potential museum escapades are that moment. Keep writing Tattooed man, this just keeps getting better and better.

Between you me and the fence post though, I'm down to about five hours of sleep a day. Ranch work, horse work, reading fiction from you, Michiru and Cobalt-blue, working on my own writing and games and of course...quality time with my puppy leaves very little time for being unconcious. Oy...it's a good thing I'm old and don't need much sleep.

You have time to sleep?

I'm balancing the Alliance story thread, a minor character building obsession, running a table top game & a PbP game, as well as playing in counting on fingers... 4 other PbP games on the ATT. That doesn't include working an average of about 45 hrs a week at my normal job, a family-owned tattoo studio, a dog with allerigies requiring bi-weekly vet visits, weekend visits with my kids and dating.

I think I'll sleep when I'm dead. :wink:

Michuru81 wrote:I'm you, from the future. Invest all your money in White Cheddar Cheez-Its; when the market bounces back, it's Sunshine's tasty little snack that saves us.
Horsenhero wrote:"And listen to yourself from the future...White cheddar cheeze-itz are divinity in small square form.

As Stewie Griffin would say;

Blast it!

And here I'd put a large chunk of my money into Spicy Doritos!! Excuse me while I make some calls.

-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:21 am

Tattooedman wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:"Y'know as the only working cowboy-gamer (ever probably) I'm aware of, it's rare that I find a moment when my two lives intersect and yet, Jon's potential museum escapades are that moment. Keep writing Tattooed man, this just keeps getting better and better.

You have time to sleep?

I'm balancing the Alliance story thread, a minor character building obsession, running a table top game & a PbP game, as well as playing in counting on fingers... 4 other PbP games on the ATT. That doesn't include working an average of about 45 hrs a week at my normal job, a family-owned tattoo studio, a dog with allerigies requiring bi-weekly vet visits, weekend visits with my kids and dating.

I think I'll sleep when I'm dead. :wink:

I think something must be going around the Think Tank: I don't sleep either. These days, I eventually lose consciousness and wake when my alarm clock sounds, telling me to go to work. I leave work for class and somehow find time to work on the narrative, run the RL campaign and work on the PBP game... But wait--dating? As in successful dating? What's your secret? For the last six months, everyone I've gone out with has turned out to be married or just out of high school...

Tattooedman wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:I'm you, from the future. Invest all your money in White Cheddar Cheez-Its; when the market bounces back, it's Sunshine's tasty little snack that saves us.

And listen to yourself from the future...White cheddar cheeze-itz are divinity in small square form.

As Stewie Griffin would say;

Blast it!

And here I'd put a large chunk of my money into Spicy Doritos!! Excuse me while I make some calls.

Spicy Doritos are great but the Jalepino Popper Doritos are delectable!

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Michuru81 wrote:I think something must be going around the Think Tank: I don't sleep either. These days, I eventually lose consciousness and wake when my alarm clock sounds, telling me to go to work. I leave work for class and somehow find time to work on the narrative, run the RL campaign and work on the PBP game...

Must be something in the Doritos.

Michuru81 wrote:But wait--dating? As in successful dating? What's your secret? For the last six months, everyone I've gone out with has turned out to be married or just out of high school...

I know how that goes. Sometimes it's hard to tell the two of those apart. :roll:

As for my secret...honestly? I've very lucky that she's willing to understand my hobbies here and be supportive of them. She's a artist by trade and she simply compares what all I do here to fulfilling my creative needs and expressions in a medium I'm well versed in (We met at the local comic book store & got into a talk about some of the current titles. :shock: Cool huh?). She doesn't have to understand it, just accept that I do it and set aside time for her. At least that's how she explained it to me.

-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 am

I bow before all coolness and complete non-sleeping-ness (?). Okay, so I'm just creating nonsensical vocabulary on the fly...it happens with me sometimes. In the meantime, I think somehow I've created a drift in focus here...okay, so it wasn't necessarily me that did it, but, I'm trying to bolster my ego and take credit anyway.

And not to be obsessive or anything, but, I've got to find out what happens to Mallory! Then I've got to find out who happens to the person that dares threaten the child of a displaced New Jersey-ite (vocabulary continues to be an issue). Plus what exactly is so stately about Wayne Manor? I've watched every episode of Batman and am still baffled.

Sorry. Wrong tangent. I apologize. Still, between Vega (here) and Bulwark ( New Vindicators. Thanks Michiru) y'all just have this redneck riveted. :)

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:20 am

Horsenhero wrote:I bow before all coolness and complete non-sleeping-ness (?). Okay, so I'm just creating nonsensical vocabulary on the fly...it happens with me sometimes. In the meantime, I think somehow I've created a drift in focus here...okay, so it wasn't necessarily me that did it, but, I'm trying to bolster my ego and take credit anyway.

Not really. Michuru & I can have our talkative moments, really it don't take much to get us going. But feel free to take as much credit as you want for getting us going. :D

Horsenhero wrote:And not to be obsessive or anything, but, I've got to find out what happens to Mallory! Then I've got to find out who happens to the person that dares threaten the child of a displaced New Jersey-ite (vocabulary continues to be an issue). Plus what exactly is so stately about Wayne Manor? I've watched every episode of Batman and am still baffled.

Cool! I've managed to get the phonetics for Donnie down!! I always fight with that.

Horsenhero wrote:Sorry. Wrong tangent. I apologize. Still, between Vega (here) and Bulwark ( New Vindicators. Thanks Michiru) y'all just have this redneck riveted. :)

Glad to entertain ya. :mrgreen:

Because of some minor guest stars in the next chaper of the story I need to get a couple things checked over for consistancy and content. But once I get all that straightened out I'll have it up.

-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:13 am

Tattooedman wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:I bow before all coolness and complete non-sleeping-ness (?). Okay, so I'm just creating nonsensical vocabulary on the fly...it happens with me sometimes. In the meantime, I think somehow I've created a drift in focus here...okay, so it wasn't necessarily me that did it, but, I'm trying to bolster my ego and take credit anyway.

Not really. Michuru & I can have our talkative moments, really it don't take much to get us going. But feel free to take as much credit as you want for getting us going. :D

Aye. It doesn't take a whole lot to get me going; the trick is getting me to shut up. :-p

Return to “M&M Story Hour”