Tales of the Tattooverse: SiaSP Part 10

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Night at the Museum part 13

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Michuru81 wrote:
Tattooedman wrote:Cool, that now means I can go back to my usual distractions for not working on Alliance stories instead of trying to come up with new ones. :wink:

Yeah, that's not an option. Get to work.

Well, it's a bit later than I'd planned on, blame yourself for posting the complete next chapter in Vindicators, but I did get it done.

So to keep the #1 fan happy here's the new story....
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 1

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 1: The Trip

He felt like he was flying almost except that he had no control over where he was heading, pain lanced through him as various energies washed over his body. Pain was a sensation he wasn't too used to feeling, not for a while now. Not since he’d gained his powers and now he found himself gritting his teeth as the newest wave came over him.

As it subsided Vega opened his eyes once again to try and get some kind of bearing on what he was going through and almost immediately shut them again. The intensity of whatever was lighting where he was at was so powerful that Vega would have rather tried to look straight at the sun in the middle of a summer afternoon.

Denied sight and only really knowing pain since he’d entered the portal, Vega had lost any sense of how long he’d been wherever he had been sent by the malfunctioning gateway. His body felt numb though that was a result of his powers, since gaining them Vega had lost part of the normal touch sense most people had. At any given moment any part of his body felt like it had that after pins and needles feel to it of when a limb fell asleep and then the person shifted how they had been sitting and the circulation resumed. He had learned to get used to it, but it made a situation like this a bit more difficult to deal with. Vega was fairly sure he didn’t have any injuries from the fight with the Horned Devil so all the pain and numbness he was now feeling was a result of whatever energies were bombarding him here.

“I’ve gotta figure out some idea o’ where the hell I’m at so I can get the hell outta here.” His thoughts were angry, more frustrated than anything. He knew that Blackstone, Alexis, would get upset about what had happened to him. He also knew that the other members of the Alliance would look for him, no matter what they’d do all they could to bring him back. But he couldn’t just sit around and wait on them to do it for him. No, he’d have to at least try and help himself too.

Vega covered his eyes with both hands in a visor-like manner and tried opening his eyes again. It took a few tries but between the added cover his hands allowed and his slowly opening his eyes and allowing them to adjust to the new, brighter light source he finally managed to get his first good look at his surroundings. It was beyond anything he could even come close to giving a decsent description of almost. Nothing but swirling lights and energies, no kind of land masses as far as he could see. Images of various locations with all manner of people in them. Some of the places looked familiar, like something he’d seen on TV or from a movie while other things were totally unfamiliar to him. The energy surrounding him seemed to be similar to that of what leaked from the portal, though it ran through the full spectrum of oranges, reds and yellows at various stages, twisting and turning with a life of it’s own almost. Following no recognizable pattern that he could tell, it bent and flowed almost like a liquid and as it stretched itself across the spaces around him was were Vega could see the people and places before him. In this video-like limbo he drifted, there was some feeling of weightlessness and without any kind of solid point of reference Vega knew that moving under his own power would basically amount to going nowhere fast.

He clenched his fists in frustration. “Damn. I hate this not really being able to do anything. I feel almost helpless floating around like this.” He looked on at another of the various scenes that played out around him. He didn’t recognize many people that were in it but he did recognize their clothing though, all black costumes with a white “V” design going down the shoulders and across the chest. Though several of them had several minor differences in the overall design the color pattern was the same. It was a group of super powered teenagers he’d worked with, though most of his memories of it were hazy at best. Something about a rock giant killing folks, a blue skinned midget, a guy with glowing yellow eyes, and that one guy with hands like razors. Though none of the people he saw were any of the ones he’d dealt with, he was sure that they’d help him if he could get their attention.

“Hey I remember those guy’s name now! The Vanguard. No, uhhhhh the Vindicators! That was it!” Vega brought his hands together around his mouth as he yelled to amplify his voice as much as possible but it made no difference. They small group didn’t seem to be able to hear him, they went on with whatever it was they were doing at the time, which seemed to be them standing around in a large room talking about something that was displayed on a huge display screen as five guys who all looked identical to one another worked a large computer system.

After hearing his own voice echo back to him Vega stopped yelling at them as he continued past them. “Don’t look like anyone can hear me from this end.” Vega mused, he was starting to accept the fact that there was little he could really do until he actually got where ever it was he seemed to be going.

Vega continued along his way for what seemed to be several hours and during that time he had replayed much of his afternoon as he could over and over again trying to find where he made the big mistake that landed him where he was now. “Nuthing. Not one damn thing would’ve made a difference. Well the good news is that at least it’s just me stuck in here and I ain’t got most the needs a normal person’s got, hell I ain’t ever really tried to test the limits on some of my powers.” He shook his head as he finished speaking to only himself. “Right like I’m really interested in that idea. It ain’t like I’m Technus or sumthing. I’m just a strong man who flies and shoots laser-like energy from his eyes.”

It was this moment that Vega noticed minor changes in his environment surrounding him. The colors started shifting from the previous reds, oranges and yellows to blue and green tones as the images he saw became wavy, watery-like and some of them seem to pull at him. “What the hell?” He said as he felt the subtle tugging sensation in his guts and look around trying to see what had caused the change. Despite his enhanced senses there was no clear indicator of why things had changed, but the pulling feeling started to become stronger. Almost like gravity in comparison really, but that was something that Vega didn’t normally worry about. Until now in this situation.

The images he moved towards showed a scene of dozens of superhumans fighting in the middle of what looked like New York City, right out in the streets. Among some of the more noticeable superhumans Vega saw were a man wearing a red and gold armor flying low to the ground, looking like he was targeting another man who wore a costume that was very reminiscent of the American flag and carried a large shield that followed the styling of his costume. The armored man’s hands glowed with an energy that seemed to be almost ready to burst from his hands at his foe yet the other man showed no immediate worry about the fact he was facing a man who clearly seemed to be better protected than he was.

“That all-American guy kinda reminds me of Sentry.” Vega said in a hushed tone to himself as he came closer and closer to the image playing out before him. “The other guy looks color blind but that armor looks like sumthing Technus would love to tear apart to see how it works.” Vega watched the fight between the two men for a few more moments before the fact that this was the closest he’d ever come to any of the images here, wherever here was, that he’d been so far and his momentum still increased.

He said nothing as he turned his body the opposite direction and willed himself away from the closing image. Vega’s eyes grew larger as he realized that he was still moving towards the image, almost as if he could no longer fly under his own power. “What the HELL! This place cancels out powers?!” His vision filled with a crimson hue as he summoned his energies into his blast and he let loose a blast away from the image. The crimson energy streaked away, casting a fading red coloring against everything it flew past it on it’s path. In seconds it was out of sight and Vega realized that he had no control over his destination. “To quote Ash, this sucks.” The young man said with a growing look of irritation and discomfort.

Vega reflexively brings his arms up in front of his face in an “X” style as he is drawn closer and closer to the image, which hasn’t stopped moving but by this point it seems that the massive brawl was over. The majority of the fighters were simply standing in the street, looking around at the destruction their block-wide, free-for-all had caused and the man wearing the flag-inspired costume was being arrested (?) and taken away by some kind of super-agents. Vega could almost swear he could smell the scent of the burning fuel from nearby damaged cars shown in the scene before him as he came closer to it.

As he came within about twenty feet of the image, more of the electrical-like energy began to surge and crackle around the outer edges and leap about those edges. When he got about ten feet away the now blue-green energy began to arc out towards him, randomly striking against his body. Causing him a pain he’d not experienced before in his young life. Vega had no time to even form a response to the sensations of pain that flooded his mind when a new wave of energy reached out and enveloped him, pulling him even faster towards the scene playing out before him. His vision blurred to the point that he could barely make out the colors he saw, and his body felt as if it was on pins and needles, worse than was the norm for him. Almost to the point that it felt like dozens of tiny needles all being shoved into his limbs the followed by shocking jolts of pain that were body wide. There was a ringing noise in his ears that reminded him slightly of the day after a rock festival he’d went to where he’d stayed too close to the speakers. The ringing merged with a building throbbing sensation that seemed to make his head feel thicker, almost as if his skull was filling with liquid that pounded like Ashmoore slapping his back as it crashed and flowed about inside. When he passed out from the pain Vega couldn‘t even form the words to express how relieved he was that it happened.

When Vega opened his eyes he had no idea how long he’d been out, looking around he saw that he was still in what he decided to call the Video-Zone, all the images were darker now. Almost like the majority of color had been lowered on TV, or was like a horror movie right before the psycho killer struck at the young co-ed girl. As Vega turned his head taking in the rest of what he could he noticed the changes he’d went through while unconscious. His costume was normally red with a dark blue V and matching wrist bands with a red visor over his eyes with an open top that allowed his blonde hair to spill out was now mostly black with the arms being a dark red while on his head was now what he at first assumed was a bucket but when he took it off and looked at it he discovered it was a helmet that matched the new red of his costume. On the center of the helmet was a white star which matched the white tri-starburst pattern on his chest.

“What the frick?!? Where’d this get-up come from?” He questioned as he took handfuls of the material and stretched it out so that he could get a better look at it. It seemed about as durable as he old outfit had been, though the helmet was a new twist. “Why would anyone wanna wear a bucket on their head?” With his focus being so intent on his new clothing and still recovering from his earlier pain Vega failed to notice that he was again moving near another image. It wasn’t until the energy had arced out towards him again, causing serious shifts in the lighting around him, that he realized what was happening.

“oh hell.” He said as he quickly, but irritated still by having to wear it, placed the helmet back on his head. Once again the energy enveloped him but much to his surprise, this time it wasn’t painful. Well not as painful as before, there was still the pins and needles sensation and his vision blurred, though no where as badly as before, as well but the shocking pain and ringing weren’t happening. Vega didn’t try to fight the pull this time and within seconds he was pulled towards a new image he’d not noticed while he’d been checking out what had happened to his costume.

Once again he saw images of various superhumans that he didn’t recognize; a woman wearing a costume of all black with a bird-like motif leaping down from a rooftop into a small group of thugs that seemed to be robbing a lab of some sort while a man dressed as a court jester seemed to be laughing while he jumped around directing the thugs. The image quickly shifted to show a younger man, who looked to be about Vega’s age moving at speeds that rivaled Jet’s who was easily dodge the blasts let loose by a giant weapon platform being ran by a talking ape! Then the image shifted and changed once again to that of a large passenger plane flying through a storm, clearly in distress as it’s one wings were on fire and looked to be descending to the ground. Behind it was a couple men flying, one wearing armor that reminded Vega of Roman armor and the other with silvery-white hair with a large thunderbolt displayed on his chest.

Vega came closer and closer to the varying images as he had before but still the painful process did not repeat itself. Then his body began to pass through the “screen” and he could feel the “pulling” sensation grow stronger though his movement through seemed to be slower than it had before. The tingling sensation increased to the point that he could feel nothing else until he felt a rumbling all around him. Similar to that of a small earthquake almost, and then suddenly he felt the rain falling on him and heard the wind howling past him!

“Huh? What happened?” Vega looked around himself and saw that somehow he’d went into the last image he’d seen. The plane was still descending towards the ground and the two men that had been following it were now fighting with a third man who was hurling lightning bolts at them as the storm surrounding everything grew in it’s fury, hail began to fall and random lightning bolts discharged throughout the sky as well. Clearly between how fast the plane was going down and the third man was holding up the other two there was no way they would be able to stop the plane’s pending crash and Vega wasted no time in moving himself towards the fight at his top speed.

“Basic hero 101 here. Those first two guys were trying to stop the plane from going down ‘til that other guy showed up. He’s the bad guy so I’ll pound him and then help them with the plane.” Vega’s vision took on that familar crimson tint as he channeled his energies, readying a blast and as he grew closer to the fight he saw the sliver haired man take a massive lightning bolt to square to the chest. The resulting electrical discharge lit up the darkened skies around for what seemed to be miles and Vega was forced to close his eyes for a moment. When he opened them back up he saw that the intended target was still alive and hovering in place, though he seemed to be dazed from the attack. His armored ally seemed to be having trouble keeping aloft as his jet boots sputtered and he fought to maintain a place in the air as his body jerked up and down as the source of his flight kept cutting on and off for seconds at a time while he furiously seemed to be typing on his forearm.

As Vega came closer he saw the third man’s hands point above him and in response to his gesture the clouds started gathering electrical energy around among them, smaller arcs dancing through the small breaks between them and he could just make out the third man’s voice over the winds that raced all around him as lightning gathered in the clouds above the white haired man.

Vega realized that if he didn’t act now this would go badly very quickly.

"DIE THUNDER!" The man screamed as a lightning bolt lanced out from the clouds he'd summoned.
It streaked through the air, heading for it's downed target until it was intercepted by a crimson beam of energy. The resulting clash caused both energies to instantly dissipate into the air around them. "An I thought Count Drazer was creep.” Vega said as he flew within speaking range of the man who was still afraid enough of his foe to attack at range. "But you, well you're just a horse's backside ain't ya?"

“Who are you?! The third man yelled at Vega as he brought his hands up again making an odd twisting motion that caused the clouds above building another electrical charge.

“Don’t matter. Just a guy trying to do the right thing.” Vega jerked a thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the falling plane. “And clearly you ain’t, so that means I’ve gotta smack ya around a bit til ya give up.” With that Vega shot through the air towards the lightning summoning man, a booming noise that was almost equal to the thunder running rampant around them. The resulting impact of Vega hitting the man with a body ram at just under the speed of sound resulted in a crunching noise coming from his body and him folding over Vega’s shoulder like a wet towel. Unconscious from either the impact or the pain of breaking ribs, Vega wasn’t sure which. Almost immediately the clouds began to lose their darker aspects and started to dissipate, the only dark clouds that remained were those coming from the damaged engine of the falling plane.

The white haired man was still recovering from being hit by the lightning bolt, but he had seen Vega’s handling of his foe and was trying to speak when Vega beat him to it.

“Here, hold this guy for me while you two get yourselves straightened out and I’ll deal with the plane.” As he spoke Vega hovered closer and carefully handed off his downed opponent to the white haired man while the armored man seemed to finally get his armor back to working order. With a quick grin and a nod Vega then took off after the plane.

He easily matched it’s speed and passed it by, placing himself underneath the nose of the plane. Rolling himself over so that he was looking right at the undercarriage and carefully reaching his hands out to take ahold of it. “Careful now.” Vega thought as he recalled how a few months ago he and Technus had dealt with a very similar problem in Drake City. “Gotta match it’s speed for now ‘til I’ve got a solid hold of it then I can start slowing it up.” Fingers tougher than the metal of the plane’s body sunk through the outer shell, allowing him to keep the palms of his hands flat against the hull. “Can’t try to actually stop it outright, that’d only make it rip apart with how fast it's going. Gotta guide it soft and easy like so that it’s nose raises up and let the pilot’s do their job.”

As he began to use a combination of his own strength and flight thrust to ease the nose from it‘s downward angle, Vega felt a began to feel a wave of nausea overtake him. It caused his vision to blur and he had to fight down the urge his body had for expelling the last meal he’d eaten. “What the hell is this?” Despite the growing weakness in his arms and weariness that he was suddenly suffering from Vega managed to bring the nose of the plane up enough for the pilot’s inside the craft to regain enough control of the vehicle to help him. There was also suddenly a lesser amount of weight pushing against him and when Vega looked back at the underside of the plane he saw where the white haired man had joined him beneath the plane, clsoer to the middle of the plane, and was able to help provide more lift to keep the plane from falling any further. When the man noticed Vega looking at him he simply gave a quick nod of his head in greeting and very quickly brought an arm from the hull to point towards a point on the ground to sit the plane down.

Vega nodded back and focused on guiding the plane downwards in a much more controlled descent that it previously had been doing. “Good thing that guy’s got an idea of where to sit this thing. Don’t know how much longer I could’ve kept this up with how I’m feeling.” Vega thought as he watched the landing gear be released from the hull.

Minutes later on the ground Vega was standing off to the side of the plane with the white haired man and his armored friend while the crew was helping the passengers get off the plane to the waiting emergency crews that had been contacted and directed to the plane’s impromptu landing spot.

The white haired man extended a hand out to Vega with a look that reminded him of Sentry, somewhere between sizing him up and being appreciative for the help, as he spoke. "Nice work son. I’m Captain Thunder of the Freedom League and this", he tilted his head back twoards his armored friend, "is Daedalus. New to town?"

Vega took the offered hand and shook it as he nodded in towards the two men. “No problem, just trying to help with what looked like a bad situation. I go by Vega and you could say I’m new in these parts.” Despite his positive response Vega was stilling fighting to clear his vision and hold down the contents of his stomach. He was suddenly glad for the helmet on his head that covered his face so much more than his old mask, it made hiding how he felt much easier.

Captain Thunder nodded as he listened to Vega‘s response. “Anyone who’s willing and able to handle Dr. Stratos the way you did is always good to have around.” As he spoke a small smile grew across his mouth, showing hints of perfectly straight and very white teeth.

Though the edges of his vision were tinged with black dots that were growing larger Vega fought to maintain the appearance that he was fine as they finished the greeting. “Yeah, it just looked like you two could’ve used ….” He started to waiver slightly halfway, wobbling from side to side before falling almost face-first to the ground unconscious.

“Vega!” Captain Thunder shouted as he caught him before he hit the ground and held him up. As he turned his head to say something to Daedalus he saw that the immortal inventor had already moved beside him and was using the sensors of his armor to scan Vega. Scant seconds later he’s muttering aloud, more to himself than to Captain Thunder.

“That’s an odd flux-wave pattern, is something he generates naturally?”

“What is it?” The Captain asked, though he didn’t know the young man he was clearly concerned that he had somehow injured himself helping them.

“He has an odd energy signature emanating from him, no make that two signatures.” Daedalus corrected himself as he studied the two patterns his armor was showing him in it’s internal display. “One of them is more than likely normal, but I have no idea which one. I don’t have the right equipment here to tell you much more than that.”

“Then it looks like we’re going to have to take him to the Lighthouse then.” As he spoke Captain Thunder picked Vega up behind the back and under his legs and hovered into the air. Hesitating just for a moment to indicate to Daedalus that he was to follow.

“Closest teleportal is at Freedom Hall. I’ll radio ahead and let them know we’re on our way with some company.” Daedalus replied as he activated his jet boots and followed after the leader of the Freedom League.

The pair flew the rest of the way in silence, both had several questions now for this young man who’d came from nowhere, helped them without a thought of his own safety and now was somehow injured. Captain Thunder wore a frown as he recalled the similarities to the last “hero” who’d shown up mysteriously and the threat he’d represented.

He pressed his lips together as he remembered all the damages done by that clone. "Not again. We'll be more careful this time." He silently promised himself as the outer edges of Freedom City grew closer.

To be continued…..
Next Time: Who’re these guys?!? Script! I need a script!! I can’t do my job without one!!

-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 pm

David Kennel has really been getting around lately. :) Nice work, man; keep it up.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Michuru81 wrote:David Kennel has really been getting around lately. :) Nice work, man; keep it up.

I figured you wouldn't mind a small reference being worked in. :wink:

Glad it passes the grade, I wondered with this being probably the least action filled post I've done. It was almost all talk and with only one character. After looking at the finished product I'm happy with it after challenging myself to write it that way. It was hard but worth the effort.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Michuru81 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Tattooedman wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:David Kennel has really been getting around lately. :) Nice work, man; keep it up.

I figured you wouldn't mind a small reference being worked in. :wink:

Glad it passes the grade, I wondered with this being probably the least action filled post I've done. It was almost all talk and with only one character. After looking at the finished product I'm happy with it after challenging myself to write it that way. It was hard but worth the effort.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Aristotle believed there were six elements of drama: plot, theme, character, diction, music and spectacle. While plot and theme (in my humble opinion) go hand-in-hand, they are equally important as character is. For me, those three stand on a completely different tier than the others. Massive, free-for-all, how-in-the-name-of-all-that-is-holy-is-he-still-standing battles are awesome but without understanding why the characters are fighting or being able to see the journey they've taken to get to this fight--without seeing what's on the line--it doesn't matter.

Give me character advancement and plot building over intense action sequences any day. :)
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Michuru81 wrote:Aristotle believed there were six elements of drama: plot, theme, character, diction, music and spectacle. While plot and theme (in my humble opinion) go hand-in-hand, they are equally important as character is. For me, those three stand on a completely different tier than the others. Massive, free-for-all, how-in-the-name-of-all-that-is-holy-is-he-still-standing battles are awesome but without understanding why the characters are fighting or being able to see the journey they've taken to get to this fight--without seeing what's on the line--it doesn't matter.

Give me character advancement and plot building over intense action sequences any day. :)

Hhhhmmm, good point. Learn something new everyday.

Well then you should enjoy this story arc then. It spends a bit of time looking at some of the things that motivate Vega and I attempt to show a more "normal" side of him (in other words a couple parts with him not wearing his costume [snappy looking as it is!] but just normal street clothes.) and why he acts the way he does.

Course it helps that in this story I only had the one player to deal with, so there was more focus on that lone character. :D

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 2

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 2: Freedoms

Jon looked around the room taking in the small living room with the fully set up entertainment center with a couch and a couple of chairs, placed so that whoever was sitting in the would be facing said entertainment center. He’d only been given this room the night before after the guy calling himself the TV Doctor had cleared him of any immediate injuries that would require him to stay in the Infirmary full time. The room was pretty much better than his own home really, the size was almost the same but the condition of it all was well above what he could afford.

He looked out the floor to ceiling window that stretched out halfway across the wall that allowed him to look out at a view of deep space. A low whistle came out of his mouth as he looked out again at the scene of dancing stars, set in their celestial patterns and heavenly bodies. “Man. That’s seriously cool.” Lost in the scene in front of him, Jon didn’t hear the sound of the door opening behind him.

“That tends to be the normal response I’ve found.” A female voice came from the doorway, soft and friendly but still keeping a tone of seriousness to it. Jon turned and saw Lady Liberty standing just inside his room at the Lighthouse as the door silde shut behind her.

“Hey, how’re you today?” He asked as he pointed towards the small refrigeration unit in what he guessed was something like a half kitchen since there was a small island table and some cabinets on the wall. When she answered his silent question with a shake of her head he noticed the semi-serious look on her face. “What’s up?” Jon felt weird not wearing his costume around another person who was wearing theirs, yet again he‘d wished he could wear it instead of the dark blue jumpsuit he‘d been given.

“It’s been a couple days since you arrived here and helped Captain Thunder and Daedalus before you collapsed.” She took a couple of steps further into the room as she spoke while Jon moved to get himself something to drink. “The TV Doctor has finished going over the results of your tests and is ready to see you.” She paused momentarily before adding to her last statement, “And since you’re our guest I thought I’d accompany you if that was alright.” She smiled, showing the kind of smile that made a man stop and take notice. Though Jon was sure that wasn’t her intention, it was probably something more along the lines of trying to be reassuring. It just didn’t hurt that Lady Liberty was one of the more attractive women he’d seen in his life.

Jon had his own suspicions as to why the few times he’d been out of his room or the Infirmary one of the Freedom League had been present.

Unknown super-type shows up and needs “help”, gets taken to base for care, then when least expected the hosts are facing down a foe who’s studied their base and knows how to use it against ‘em.” Jon fought back a small chuckle as he considered the stray thought. Can’t say I blame ‘em for being careful. Sentry’d be the same way. Not that he shared his thoughts with Lady Liberty, that would have been pretty rude on his part. Instead he answered with something different.

“Sounds good. I’m ready to get a clean bill of health.” He returned the smile, he was starting to feel pinned up as it was despite the treatment the League had given him. They’d been nice enough, but the silent limits and unsaid restrictions they’d put on him were starting to make him somewhat uncomfortable. What is it Senty’d said before? A cage with a view is still a cage to the one held in it. Something like that. As he thought Jon finished the almost full can of citrus pop in one massive drink, threw the can into the trash receptacle that was built into the island and moved towards his latest guard.

“Lets go.” He said, the smile still on his face.

After a short walk Jon was sitting down on one side of a desk while the TV Doctor was going over the results of the results of his tests. “Everything seems fine. In fact it’s more than fine, all of your results indicate that you’re one of the healthiest people I’ve examined in a long time.” He flips through a couple of pages as he speaks, “Your circulatory system is highly efficient, if I hadn’t been talking to you when I took your blood pressure I’d swear your readings were taken while you were asleep. Plus your white blood cell count is in what’s considered the upper limits of safe but you show no signs of having to worry about leukocytosis.”

Jon’s eyes narrowed somewhat at the mention of the word. “Hang on what’s that?”

“Basically it means you have too many white bloods cells. It can indicate a few different possible illness, but in your case the high count seems to be very normal. So it’s nothing to worry about.” The Doctor put his tablet down on the desk as he considered what he knew of his newest patient. “Unless Lejkemia and Hodgkins disease runs in your family history that it.” His eyes showed he was questioning Jon on this part.

Jon shook his head. “Not that I know Doc. Course I don’t really know my folks, I was a foster kid my whole life.”

“Ah. I see. Then it would be a safe assumption on my part that you‘ve not had a full medical exam since you became an adult or before you had gained your powers?”

Jon suddenly felt like he was being put on the spot and his face took on a semi-guilty, almost apologetic look before he answered. “Yea, it would be.”

“It’s alright, you’d be surprised at just how many other super powered people are in the same boat as you. It’s not as uncommon as you’re thinking.” The Doctor picks up the tablet, flips through some of the pages and makes a couple of quick notes. “It just means I’ll have to apply some of the standards I’ve established in cases similar to yours.”

Again Jon’s eye narrowed in response but before he could ask any question that could be forming in his mind the Doctor spoke up. “What I mean is I’ll do a comparative evaluation of your results against other superhumans I’ve examined who’ve were suffering from similar problems to your current ones.”

“Oh. Alright. Sounds good with me Doc, so any idea when I’ll be allowed back on Earth?” Jon thought the Doctor would be a good place to start with that question. If there wasn’t a medical reason to keep him up in space then that would help him when he made his argument to League.

“I can’t say anything about that, though I can say that you are totally healthy. No kind of viruses or bacteria are present that I can find, but if you have any more of the symptoms that led to your passing out you should immediately return.” As he spoke the TV Doctor wrote on the tablet one more time before standing up and offering his hand to Jon. “Be safe and well.”

“Alright Doc, I’ll keep that in mind.” Jon said as the Doctor stood, stood up himself and took the offered hand and gave it a firm set of shakes before making his way out of the office.

On the other side of the door Jon found that Lady Liberty hadn’t stayed while he talked with the Doctor, though there was a man in a red jumpsuit that wore a black belt that looked somewhat similar to what security guards used who seemed to waiting on him. He looked to be somewhere in his mid twenties with black hair, slicked back out of his face. On the belt the man was wearing Jon could see what looked like a bulky pistol as well as some pouches that he assumed held a few odd and in that security guard might need. The look on his face reminded Jon of a guy waiting on his girlfriend to come out of the Bath & Body Works store, almost bored and wanting to do anything else but this.

Taking a few steps towards him, Jon gives a two fingered wave as he speaks. “Heya, Lady Liberty get called away?”

The man nods back in response to Jon’s wave as he answers the question. “Yeah, but nothing bad. Just the weekly League meeting. Nothing serious.” He gestures for Jon to follow him before he turns to walk out the door. “I was asked to walk you to their meeting once you were done with your meeting with the Doctor.”

Jon‘s face blanked for a moment. This didn‘t sound too good. “Oh.”

He fell in behind the man and out into the hallway. The walk was silent; the man didn’t apparently want to be social and Jon was busy wondering what the entire League would want to talk to him for. He was nervous honestly, he’d not met all of them yet. Only Captain Thunder, Daedalus, Lady Liberty and Pseudo, he’d heard some of the other’s names; Raven and someone named Seven. He wondered if there were more members in the League, they already had as many members as the Alliance had.

“Course that don’t count former member either, but I doubt they‘d call up part-timers just for something like this. Right?” Jon half tried to reassure himself but only ended up making himself more nervous about the impending meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Round Table:

The majority of the Freedom League membership was present at this week’s meeting, only Star Knight (transporting Captain Kraken to Citadel for transfer to one of the many worlds he’s wanted on for his crimes), Dr. Metropolis (busy in Freedom City), and Siren (dealing with a problem in New Orleans), were not present.

There was an additional person present the table this meeting; Seven, who’d been brought in to help with possible mystical aspects of their new guest’s arrival.

“All right.” Captain Thunder said, he looked around at everyone sitting around the table as he continued. “First on the agenda. Most of the damage done during the Meta-Grue’s attack during his impersonation of Pseudo has been repaired. The only thing not yet finished is elevator D and that should be done by the end of tomorrow. Has there been any progress on how to prevent that from happening again?”

“Pseudo and I have come up with a couple ideas that should work.” Daedalus said. “They should be done by the next meeting after we get Changeling to help us test them out fully.”

“I can call Claremont and see if I can arrange something with the Headmaster to get her here in the next couple of days.” Bowman offered.

Daedalus looked over at Pseudo for a moment, his look asking for his thoughts. Pseudo’s response was a silent and subtle nod and Daedalus looked at the archer. “We should be ready by that time.”

“Sounds good. Now on to current matters.” Captain Thunder said as he moved things along. “Our latest “guest” here at the Lighthouse has been very cooperative with our all of our questions. In fact his forthright answers about his powers, background, where he comes from and submitting to the various testing over the last few days leads me to believe that he’s being honest with us. At least that’s what my instincts tell me but I‘ll open the floor to those who have been disserting those tests.” Captain Thunder nods towards Pseudo.

“From the surface psi-scans I’ve done of Vega, everything he has told us appears to be the truth. He has no idea exactly how or why he’s ended up here but I can say this much about him; his mental “feel”, for lack of a better way to describe it, is different from how anyone else’s minds I’ve been in contact with is.” Pseudo’s face was almost a blank slate as he spoke but it was clear to those that knew him well enough that could read the subtle expressions he made while he spoke that he did not enjoy telepathically going through another’s mind has he had done with Vega. It came close to going against many of his personal beliefs but given some previous times where “heroes” had suddenly reappeared and then their true natures became exposed….Pseudo felt that fine line was one he must walk for a greater good.

“Does that mean that you believe his claims he’s from another dimension then?” The Raven asked with her usual directness.

“What it means is that I believe he believes it. Though there is a possibility that there is something to his claims.” Pseudo responded.

“What about more arcane sources?” Raven pushed.

“Well, from what my scryings have revealed he’s fine.” Seven said quietly from the opposite side of the table. “There are no traces of anything arcane around him at all.”

Raven then looked over to Daedalus then without missing a beat. “What about those twin energy signatures he was emitting when you first met him?”

The immortal inventor pressed a few buttons on a remote he was holding and suddenly in the center of the table appeared two graphs that charted two very different energy wavelengths, one displayed above the other and both clearly different from one another, the bottom display then grew to twice the size of the other. It‘s pattern was sharp with harsh angles from top to bottom, almost looking like a child‘s drawing of sharp teeth. “This is Vega’s normal energy signature, his body generates it at all times from what I‘ve been able to determine. It is very similar to the energies used by the Star Knights to power their armors but Vega’s energy has somehow been internalized and is a very organic variation in it’s nature.” More buttons pushed and the larger image shrinks back down while the upper display grows in contrast. This pattern had a very soft look to it, if was capped on top and bottom by flowing curves. “This is the secondary energy pattern that Vega was emitting when we first met him and apparently it’s from what he calls the Video-Zone.”

This name brings several quizzical looks from the gathered members of the Freedom League and a raised eyebrow from the Raven. To which Daedalus gives a slight shrug as he answers the unspoken question. “His name for it. Not mine.” And then continued on.

“The second energy quickly began to dwindle in intensity as time went on, by the time we had gotten him here and performed a more in-depth scan the energy signature had dropped in intensity by half. By the following morning it was almost non-existent, only at a fourth of it’s original output.” As Daedalus spoke the display for the second energy wavelength showed the dwindling effect he was describing by shrinking slowly until finally the display was empty. “Then by last night Vega’s body no longer emitted any sign of the wavelength at all.”

“So there’s not a chance it something that Vega generates himself and is suppressing at the moment?” Raven questioned.

“It was a possibility, so I installed sensors in the room he was given. The idea being along the line of what you’re suggesting and the output is the same every time. Nothing. Given what he‘s said about the amount of time he‘d spent in that transitional dimension I‘d say that the secondary energy signature was a result of his time there and something that permeated his body and that once out of that dimension he body began to expel it as a means of cleansing his system so to speak.”

Lady Liberty held up a tablet of her own at this point. “This report from the TV Doctor basically confirms what you’re saying. Plus Vega’s been given a clean bill of health, the energy wasn’t some symptom of a super-disease of any kind so we don’t have to worry about another Legion at least.” Her tone of voice showed her relief in the news as the look on her face showed her concern.

It didn’t go unnoticed by Captain Thunder. “Something else on your mind?”

“It’s just that Vega has been patient enough with us but he’s starting to chaff under all the limits we’re placing him under. I understand that we need to be careful but it’s been a few days and by this point given everything we’ve subjected him to I think we should consider allowing him some more personal freedoms.” As she spoke the Maid of Might looked at all who were around the table, looking each in the eye for a few moments before moving on to the next person. “I’m just remembering something I’ve read before;
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Lady Liberty paused after she finished quoting part of the New Colossus sonnet, letting the all of the gathered heroes take a moment to consider the meaning of those words. “If Vega doesn’t qualify as someone whose is lost from his home and been through an ordeal then let me walk you to his room and let you look at him. It’s plain on his face. He doesn’t need our help so much at this point, he needs friends.”

Several moments passed before Captain Thunder somberly spoke. “Beth, I understand what you’re saying. We all do but we have to be careful given the history of situations like this one. Now I realize that young man is fighting to understand what’s happened to him, and personally I think he’s done a phenomenal job given what he’s dealing with. That was why I had addressed the whole thing during the meeting. I agree he’s already earned the kind of allowances you’re talking about and given what we’ve been able to put together so far I think just proves that we can do it with a clearer conscience now.”
“With that in mind I call for a vote, Seven you vote as well. You helped to deal with this problem so your input on the final decision is valued.” Captain Thunder announced. “All in favor of allowing Vega to operate in Freedom City with supervision from the membership?”

The gathered members of the Freedom League made their choice and raised their hands.

Counting silently for a moment Captain Thunder notes the final vote and nods for everyone to lower their hands.

“All right then. Let’s get Vega in here and let him know how things are going to work while he’s here.”

To be continued…..
Next Time: Really? You’re still going on about this?! Where’s my copy of the script?!?!

A quick thanks to Janlith (for his Average Joe’s Game) and Davies (for his World of Freedom 2.5 Setting [specifically the Olympus Delendam Est! story]). Both of which I used as reference when I originally ran this game and went back to when I added the League’s meeting for this part of the story.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 2

Postby Manintights » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 am

Hey there Tattooedman,

the last couple of days I've been reading through your stories (allways meant to, but never found myself having the time to read through everything.)

I believe your writing is improving with every post you make. Stranger in a strange place is great so far. Honestly, I still have to warm up to Vega. Stranger in a strange place helps, so there is still hope :mrgreen:
Looking at your other characters I especially like Ashmoore and Echon. Ashmoore's powerset is just awesome and Ultron, oops I mean Echon, is an adonis skraag waiting to happen. But the when, where and how are keeping me on the edge of my seat.

I'm trying to put some notes of my games in a story as well, I've been picking Michuru's brain a bit about the how to, would you mind sharing some thoughts as well?

Concluding I'd like to say that I'll keep checking this story out.

Just keep on keeping on.

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 2

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 am

Manintights wrote:Hey there Tattooedman,

the last couple of days I've been reading through your stories (allways meant to, but never found myself having the time to read through everything.)

I believe your writing is improving with every post you make. Stranger in a strange place is great so far. Honestly, I still have to warm up to Vega. Stranger in a strange place helps, so there is still hope :mrgreen:
Looking at your other characters I especially like Ashmoore and Echon. Ashmoore's powerset is just awesome and Ultron, oops I mean Echon, is an adonis skraag waiting to happen. But the when, where and how are keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Welcome to the Tattooverse MIT.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the Alliance. :D
It's been a learning process for me with each story I write and I'm thrilled to hear that there is a noted improvement. It's difficult for me to judge the work itself, so any comment (good or bad) are always appreciated. To me feedback of anykind can only help me make the stories better.

Manintights wrote:I'm trying to put some notes of my games in a story as well, I've been picking Michuru's brain a bit about the how to, would you mind sharing some thoughts as well?

Concluding I'd like to say that I'll keep checking this story out.

Just keep on keeping on.

MIT

Sure thing, though I'll be the first one to admit I'm a slightly disorganized kind of writer so I don't know how much help I could be, but I'd be more than willing to take a try at answering any question you send my way.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 3

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 3: Trust

”YYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!” The young man yelled as he performed a set of barrel rolls in the clouds above the city.

It felt good to feel the rush of sound in his ears, the slight tingling feeling of the wind across his face. There was a large smile on his face, but he kept his mouth closed. Bugs sucked at these speeds if you ate one. It was almost like being back home. “Hell if the buildings didn’t look so different then I’d think I was home.” Vega thought as he slowed himself and began his decent back closer to the ground.

It had only been the day before when Vega was summoned to the Round Table of the Freedom League and told that based on all the tests they’d run that they felt he wasn’t an immediate threat to the general public and that he could return to planet side and get himself adjusted to his new surroundings while they looked into ways of helping him return home.

The conversation was still very clear in Jon’s mind.

“We only ask that you follow a small set of guidelines; First to try as much as possible to stay within Freedom City. We’re making the assumption that you’ll be active in costume given your previous actions and things you’ve said since your time with us and it’s understandable. By staying in what’s considered “our town”, we’ll be better able to lend you a hand if needed. Also we‘re extending reserve status to you in the Freedom League, that should go a long way towards helping smooth out any possible problems you‘d run into as an independent hero.”

Jon wasn’t sure what kind of problems he’d have but it was good to know that he’d have backup.

“Second since you’d have a difficult enough time trying to support yourself given your alien status we’re offering you the use of Freedom Hall. That way you don’t have to worry about where you’ll be staying and in case some possible complication arises from your trip here we’ll be able to locate yo...”

Lady Liberty broke in before he could finish his sentence, which gained her a slight look from the Captain but he said nothing to her. “That way you can have something of a normal life while you’re here and we can reach you with any news we may discover about your situation or if we would need your help with a problem of our own.” She wore that familiar smile as she spoke, though she seemed to be the only member of the League wearing one. The rest were simply looking at him mostly with neutral looks and he could swear that the one they called Raven was either checking him out or sizing him up.
“Prolly sizing me up in case I end up being trouble. Reminds me of how Janus looked at folks.” Jon rolled his eyes at the thought. A female version of Janus could get annoying and fast, but he was trying to stay on good terms with the members still so he’d said nothing.

“Otherwise, you’re free to come and go as you feel from the Hall. Just be mindful of the others that live there and of course no guests that aren’t cleared first. Just to be clear.” Lady Liberty had continued on while Jon looked over the majority of the others, though the look on her face had taken on that of a TV mom telling her kids the rules while the adults were out of town. Jon wondered if she realized just how she sounded and he couldn’t stop a small grin from appearing on his mouth as he nodded his agreement.

“Yes.” Added Captain Thunder. “There are a few other things but mostly they’re just minor details that be addressed later while moving you planet side.” The Captain leveled his gaze on Jon and held eye contact for a moment. Once again Jon almost felt like he was talking to Sentry again.

“Guess I’ll feel that way for awhile. Someone here will remind me of someone from home.” Jon still had the same reaction to the look though, a mixture of wanting to not be a problem and that urge to fight authority. Again it took a bit of work to control his mouth from automatically kicking in and saying something stupid. “They’re being pretty reasonable overall. Think how Sentry would handle the situation, it wouldn’t be too different from how Captain Thunder is.”

Captain Thunder resuming speaking brought Jon out of his thoughts. “Is there any questions you have for us at the moment?” He smiled somewhat, nowhere as big as when Jon had first met him but he could tell it was friendly and not forced in any way. He considered some of what had popped into his mind as he considered that he was starting fresh in this place. The things he’d need besides a place to stay, but they were mostly about the material things he’d need and maybe a couple he’d want.

“Nothing really that jumps out at me that couldn’t be dealt with while I’m being moved.” Jon was silent for a moment while he ran organized the growing mental list. “Well I did want to tell all of you here ‘Thanks’ for all you’ve done for me in the last couple days. I realize a lotta the possibilities my situation could indicate for you to deal with and you’ve all been really cool with giving me a fair chance.” Jon didn’t look at all of the gathered heroes while he spoke, only the ones he’d dealt with personally so far. Honestly it was slightly intimidating to be standing where he was and not feel like everything he said or did was being placed under the magnifying glass. It be rough but he’d show them they didn’t have to worry about him giving them trouble. “It means more than I can really say properly.”

Most of the people sitting at the table nodded and murmured amongst one another as Jon spoke, aside from Rave who still watched with an impassive face, when Lady Liberty answered back. “That understanding you mentioned is what helped us come to this decision, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say ‘Your welcome’.” She stood up and came round the table towards Jon, then once close enough she placed a hand on his shoulder. “You’ve show a good deal of patience and understanding while we sorted through things, that says a great deal about your character. We’re glad to have you around and more than happy to give you whatever help we can.” She patted the shoulder then lowered her hand back down to her side. “But now we still have a few more other matters to discuss, so if you’ll excuse us for now you can start getting ready for your move.”

As Lady Liberty spoke the door Jon had entered through opened up silently and she walked with him towards it. He walked without another word to anyone in the room, though he did notice that the security man wasn’t waiting on him and after Jon had walked out the door and looked back questioningly Lady Liberty simply gave him a quick, small wave of her hand as she mouthed the word “Trust.” Then the door closed, leaving Jon in the small hallway that led from the meeting room to the main hallway.

The rest of Jon’s day was spent talking with various members of the support staff about details like what kinds of foods he liked, clothing tastes, the names of movies he liked and such. Odd and in personal questions followed by some very nice people who he frustrated with his lack of being able to read a map as they tried and tried to help him learn the basics Freedom City’s overall layout as well as the names of the popular places. The trouble spots as well as places that he could find other known heroes of the city if he couldn‘t get in contact with members of the League, the problem was that Jon was horrible with names. Both people’s, streets, landmarks and locations were easily confused or misspoken when he tried to recall them on demand. In the end Jon apologized several times and thanked the people for their efforts as they fought not to pull out their hair in frustration when he left them.

“It was a good thing I looked up Pseudo before this morning and asked him for a bit of help.” Jon thought as he looked over the traffic below him, it seemed that no matter what world you were on traffic was traffic. “Lemme see….there‘s that Starbase Coffee on Gould.” He was impressed with the detail that the alien mentalist had been able to give him when he psychically implanted a map of the city in Jon’s mind.

Jon smiled as he recalled the surprised look on the being’s face when he’d first asked him to do it. A mixture of surprise with a slight bit of confusion but he’d recovered quickly and pressed for details of why Jon would make such a request.

“Well, the easiest way to say it is that I suck at learning that kind of things.” Jon shrugged, slightly embarrassed for even bothering Pseudo with the request as it was. “I figured I needed to pretty much hit the ground running and knowing where everything was would be a good start.” He almost felt like a used car salesman trying to make that last ditch sales pitch.

Asking for help went against his nature, the way Jon saw it he was supposed to be the one helping others. Not the other way around. He’d basically grown up traded off from home to home for the majority of his younger years, over five families total had tried to have him as part of their family. But his direct mannerisms and habit of rebelling against authority eventually wore their resistance down and they’d send him packing. Sometimes he wondered if any of them had tried talking to him, like the old man had done, instead of talking at him if he’d be the same guy he looked at in the mirror every morning.

Pseudo quietly considered Jon’s point and after several slow passing seconds asked a question of his own, his voice was calm and even. “You do realize that would require me to alter parts of your mind? It would call for a reorganizing of some of your memories to make room for all the information you are asking for.” Jon hadn’t considered that and it gave him a momentary pause as he considered what that meant. Pseudo recognized the questioning look Jon’s eyes displayed and answered the question that was just starting to form. “It means some of your memories will have to be removed permanently to accommodate what you want me to place in your mind.” He paused briefly then continued, “I can do it if that is what you wish but I feel that I should warn you of what it would entail, as it is it will call for me to probe deeper into your mind than I already have and could give you some pain after it is done as your mind recovers from the minor psychic trauma that action calls for. Though it would be no worse than what the TV Doctor would call a migraine and it would only at worst last a few hours.”

Jon scratched the back of his neck as he thought for a moment. “Yeah, I still think it’s a good idea on how to deal with the problem.” He looked up at the red skinned alien, his white eyes gave away nothing of what might be going through his mind but they still gave a reassuring feel somehow when you made eye contact. “I’ve got two questions then Pseudo, can you choose what memories get the boot out? And then where do I go for aspirin?” A grin played out on his face as he asked the second question which combined with the direct and slightly ridiculous nature of it caused the normally serious looking mentalist to smile as well.

“Yes. I can select which memories are cleared away to make room. And I would assume you would go to the TV Doctor for pain relievers.”

“Works for me then.” Jon shrugged. “You’ve already been in my mind and seen all that’s there and I’m still me. I trust you.”

Pseudo nodded sharply still wearing the smile. “Then let us make our way to your room, it would be best if we were sitting down while I do this.” He turned and continued down the hallway towards the elevator.

It hadn’t been quite as bad as Pseudo had made it out to be, but after the deed was done Jon could perfectly recall any part of Freedom City. The headache afterwards was about as bad as he’d been told it would be, but a quick trip to the TV Doctor’s office and it was dealt with no questions asked.

Jon was brought out of his memory at the sounding of screaming and bending metals. “Sounds like it’s time to introduce myself.” A wide, toothy smile broke out as he flew lower and turned the corner of a building, moving towards the sounds.

The scene he found was something almost from a modern monster movie; a large reptilian man-thing was busy tearing a car in half, again from the look of it, with people yelling and trying to get away from it in almost a full stampede like manner. People were frantically getting out of their cars as they were boxed in by other already abandoned vehicles around them. The creature then hurled the back quarter of the import car it had just ripped free of the rest of frame as Jon could swear he heard it giving off a sound that was something between a long hiss and a short chortle of laughter as it watched it’s projectile smash into the front end of another emptied car.

“Yep. Bad guy found.” Jon said aloud. He was actually nervous, he hadn’t felt this way since the first couple times he’d put on his mask and started being Vega. With a determined look set onto his face, his best impersonation of Sentry, Jon moved himself through the air to get closer to the creature.

Before he could get within twenty feet of it the being suddenly turned and faced him. It maw opened wide, showing the rows of undoubtedly sharp teeth held within it as it gave off a roar.

"DIE WARMBLOOD!" The being half yelled, half roared at him. Clearly this was something it expected to scare him. Too bad he'd dealt with worse looking things and he had to almost hide a small smirk.

"Really? That's yer statement that's gonna get me ta give up beating on ya?" He shook his head, almost disappointed. "Not good enough." With that crimson energy filled his eyes.

To be continued…..
Next Time: That’s IT!! IF I don’t get a script soon I’m quitting!!

Seriously!! Someone listen to me!!
Last edited by Tattooedman on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tales of the Tattooverse: Stranger in a Strange Place Part 3

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Ahhhhh, caught up at last! Thanks for the entertaining tale Tattooed man. I like Vega. He seems like a pretty normal young man who just happens to have incredible powers at his disposal. He's cocky, but not too overconfident and he seems to try to remember what he's learned from more experienced heroes about dealing with difficult situations. Occasionally I just have to get away from heroes who are too angsty. There are only so many flashbacks to parents being gunned down in alleyways that I can take.

Man in tights is right about this though; Echon is cool. His computer dialogues remind me of Deathlok, a personal favorite.

Keep it coming. It's chewy good fun.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 am

Horsenhero wrote:Ahhhhh, caught up at last! Thanks for the entertaining tale Tattooed man. I like Vega. He seems like a pretty normal young man who just happens to have incredible powers at his disposal. He's cocky, but not too overconfident and he seems to try to remember what he's learned from more experienced heroes about dealing with difficult situations. Occasionally I just have to get away from heroes who are too angsty. There are only so many flashbacks to parents being gunned down in alleyways that I can take.

Thanks for the kind words Horsenhero. Vega's a fun guy to write up, challenging at times, but fun given the attitude played by his player. It's funny you mention the gritty background, his player said something along the same lines when he first built Vega.

He wanted a regular kind of guy that had a bit of roughness in his life but nothing overpowering. Otherwise his getting powers have forced Vega to make himself be a better person, at least that was the idea. I've try to keep that in mind when writing him.

Horsenhero wrote:Man in tights is right about this though; Echon is cool. His computer dialogues remind me of Deathlok, a personal favorite.

Keep it coming. It's chewy good fun.

Yeah. Echon's player had talked about Deathlok being an big part of the influence of how Echon was played. Funny enough in-game the computer side of things weren't mentioned that much, the player always underplayed those problems in his rping. Though he'd send several notes my way to let me know what was going on in Echon's head. It only made sense to show them here when the writing was being done.

Glad you've enjoyed the stories.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 am

For those of you that have been reading this latest story may realize the decription of Vega's costume is very different from the pictures I'm using in my Role Call thread.

Simply put, this is his player's fault. After he'd sent me the last picture of Vega he'd made when he showed up for the first game he brought a new picture he'd found and liked better after making some minor changes to it (as well as changes to the character sheet after we'd already reworked it). Clearly after looking at it you'll see much more of the influences behind Vega's personality. (And the obvious rip of known character looks. ~sigh~)

So since I've referenced the different costume I thought I'd post the pic here and I'll probably go back and edit the last build of Vega back to how he actually was built.

The bucket-head look wrote:Image

Oh yeah. Here's the next part of the story too. :D

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 4

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:20 am

Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 4: Questions

Even though he’d been here for just over a week now Jon Armstrong, also known as Vega is certain circles, was still in the process of adjusting to his current home. Aside from his dealing with the lizard man on a rampage, he’d later learned the creature was called Goanna, and helping the police chase down some gang members who’d done a drive-by in Lincoln, he’d basically stayed in Freedom Hall with only the occasional odd trip or three to the Lighthouse for some more tests or getting the results of tests.

Otherwise Jon simply watched television in his room, though he did try to watch the news channels, trying to figure out what he could about this place. Jon wasn’t too sure how else he could learn anything about Freedom City and was starting to get bored with the only way he’d figured out so far. It wasn’t until Jon had talked with Lady Liberty a couple days ago during his last trip to the Lighthouse, she’d made it a point to be around whenever she could when Jon was there.

“So your powers are natural? Like a mutant’s?” Jon asked as he looked over at her.

“Kind of, but not really.” Her nose scrunched slightly as she considered how best to describe it. “It’s difficult to explain but I’m the third woman whose been chosen to bear the name of Lady Liberty, though the powers have changed with each person but the basics are present in each. All were chosen by a higher power to champion it’s cause and while the source of my powers are considered to be natural they’re not natural to me, like a mutant’s abilities are.” She smiled somewhat sheepishly at her inability to fully explain the matter any better as she looked at Jon. “Does that answer your question?”

“Pretty much.” In reality Jon had only just barely grasped the concept she explained but it had gotten the conversation heading the way he’d wanted it to. So he wasn’t going to complain.

“Why do you ask?” Lady Liberty leveled a somewhat stern eye on him.

It was Jon’s turn to smile as he rubbed the back of his neck for a moment before answering. “Well I was wondering how you knew about the folks that came before you since you didn’t get your powers directly from them.” Jon realized that this could be considered as him getting too curious about the members of the League but he didn’t really have any other options and he never had been to good at being subtle.

Lady Liberty’s smile showed him that his worries weren’t a problem and he allowed himself to enjoy the effects of the smile. Her entire face lit up as her cheeks filled out to accommodate her smile, giving them a warm coloring as her eyes brightened. “That’s easy, my 5th grade history class. That was the first time I’d heard the “official” history of Lady Liberty.”

“oh.” Jon replied with a small frown on his face as he looked away from her. He didn’t want her to see his reaction to her answer. Guess I’m gonna have to hit the books if I’m gonna learn anything ‘bout the folks ‘round here. As he looked back at Lady Liberty, Jon discovered her waiting on him with questioning look on her face. After a few seconds she shook her head as her smile returned. “Of course you may want to check out the Super Museum, it should have enough information for you to learn about all the different heroes of Freedom City.”

Jon’s jaw went somewhat slack for a moment in response and Lady Liberty couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. “You do like to do things the hard way don’t you?”

Jon just shrugged. “Well, I wasn’t sure how to ask and I was trying to be nice about it. The League’s done so much for me already and I’m feeling kinda like a bum about it all as it is.”

“I understand what you’re saying and respect where you’re coming from but would you and your friends be doing the same for one of us if we were in your situation?” When Jon silently nodded that they would Lady Liberty put a hand on his shoulder while she spoke. “I can’t imagine anything of what you must be feeling being here, but you’re doing good trying to adjust like you are. Just give us some time and Daedalus should have something for you soon.” She patted his shoulder gently and tilted her head to the side. “Now let’s get you to the TV Doctor so you can go over your tests and I’ll see what I can dig up for you about the Super Museum.”

With that they continued on their way. “Plus I’ll see if I can’t manage to get you into Champions too while you’re there. It’s a good place to get some food after spending a good part of your day in the Museum, I recommend the barbeque ribs. They’ve use a home-made sauce that is fantastic.”

Jon’s eyebrows arced up at this. “Champions?”

“It’s a restaurant with a super hero theme, good food though. It’s set up right next to the Museum but it’s tough to get into without a reservation or knowing someone.”

“Alright, sounds interesting. If it ain’t any kind of a hassle then sure, why not? But how do I pay for it all?”

“That was part of what else I wanted to talk to you about.” Lady Liberty produced what looked like a credit card from who knew where and handed it to Jon. “Since you can’t get a regular job with your situation it was decided that as long as you help out some with odd jobs around Freedom Hall we’d pay you a stipend that way you had some petty cash.”

Jon took the card and looked at it for a moment. It was black colored with a pattern on it that definitely had a Greek theme to it, making it somewhat obvious who was behind it. “Daedalus?” Jon asked with as he flipped the card over to look at the back.

“Yes. It’s set up like a credit card, it’ll accept whatever name you want to use when you’re required to sign for using it.”

Jon put the card into the back pocket of his jeans as he shook his head slightly. “Ah don’t know what to say besides thanks.”

“Please, it’s my pleasure.” Lady Liberty answered back immediately. “You’ve already proved a lot of yourself to us in the short time you’ve been here. It’s the least we can do to try and make things a little easier for you while you’re here.” She looked to the door in front of them for a moment considering some unsaid thought and then spoke. “Well you go on and see what the TV Doctor has for you with these latest batch of test results and I’ll see about setting up that spot at Champions for you.” With that she left Jon alone in front of the door as she made her way down the hallway to make some calls.

Jon sighed after she’d gone and rubbed the back of his neck again as he talked to himself. “The Super Museum. That should be something to see, hope it don’t go like my last trip to a museum.” With that Jon pressed the button to open the door and when it slide to the side he entered the Doctor’s office.

The nudging of people passing by him brought Jon from his memory as he started to move towards the entrance of the Super Museum. He’d been taken aback somewhat by it’s size, he’d not expected it to be as huge as it was. ”Man. They take their heroes pretty seriously here it looks like.” He thought as he made his way up the stairs towards the entrance as he looked around at all the people going inside, it was a semi-steady stream of various ages, from middle school to teenagers and their parents. All seemed to be enjoying the idea of going inside, it was an unusual thing for Jon to see. Even with the Alliance being so well accepted at home they didn’t have anything like this. No pressure to measure up, huh? He thought with a wry smile as he walked through the doors.

To be continued…..
Next Time: A script!! Finally! ~reading page; reading page; reading page~ Wait!! Hang on a minute! Who’s this Donnie Benis guy?!?

-- Chiun

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Re: Stranger in a Strange Place: Part 4

Postby Jalinth » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 am

I can't wait until Vega finds out Lady Liberty is married.
Tattooedman wrote:To be continued…..
Next Time: A script!! Finally! ~reading page; reading page; reading page~ Wait!! Hang on a minute! Who’s this Donnie Benis guy?!?

Probably some worthless two-bit crook or something.
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman

Return to “M&M Story Hour”