Making "Annual" and Annual book (and other ideas)

Tell us what you think of this site, request features, make suggestions, or let us know what you would have done differently. We'll always listen to what you have to say, and sometimes we'll even change things accordingly!
cjudisch
Bystander
Bystander

Making "Annual" and Annual book (and other ideas)

Postby cjudisch » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:03 am

For whatever my input is worth, I'd like to see the "M&M Annual" book become, well, annual. I think it'd be a great way to advance the meta-plot of the company's setting(s) and to include short articles/pieces that wouldn't nessecarilly be viable as stand alone products (for example the Freedom City 2525 & WWII sections from the current book are both are FANTASTIC articles, but I doubt they'd sell themselves into the black on their own).

If *THAT* idea floats... I'd love, Love, LOVE to see a "Freedom City Beyond" type cyberpunk/superhero feature, as well as some other historical sub-settings (Wild West, Victorian Steampunk/Superhero, etc...) and more in-depth treatments of other parts of the setting(s) (I'd like to see the Freedom City and/or Meta-4 take on Atlantis and see more of the Star Knights).

I think exploring the ins and outs of Comic-Book Magic and Mystiscim would make a great stand-alone sourcebook.

A book of lower-powered heroes (or an "Annual" article/section) for use as allies and or sidekicks would be pretty useful.

As Mr. McGlothlin pointed out (both in the book "Noir" itself and on these boards) the Noir genre is similar to, but not the same as the "Pulp" genre. As a fan of "Pulp" era heroes, I'd *LOVE* to see an entire book on the subject, but that might not go over too well (historically, Pulp-era settings/games haven't been money-makers for RPGs).

I also think that a slimmed down "Player's Book", that contains just the character creation rules would be a great idea.

An official Character Creation software utility would rule the universe, preferably one that had the ability to download data files as the rules continue to evolve and to include house rules as exportable data.

(edited for typographical/spelling errors)

Kid Vorpal
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: Making "Annual" and Annual book (and other ide

Postby Kid Vorpal » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:19 pm

cjudisch wrote:I think exploring the ins and outs of Comic-Book Magic and Mystiscim would make a great stand-alone sourcebook.

There's a mystical sourcebook already in the works, according to Steve - if you do a search of the boards, you should be able to track down some info on it.

cjudisch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cjudisch » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:16 pm

Kid Vorpal wrote:
cjudisch wrote:I think exploring the ins and outs of Comic-Book Magic and Mystiscim would make a great stand-alone sourcebook.

There's a mystical sourcebook already in the works, according to Steve - if you do a search of the boards, you should be able to track down some info on it.

Ah. I think the technical term is...

"D'oh!"

The Human Pest II
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby The Human Pest II » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:17 pm

I'm looking forward to the magic sourcebook/supplement.

Other things I'd like to see (that probably won't happen, but what the heck ...)

1. A swords & sorcery supplement for M&M. (Everyone rolls eyes). S&S has been done to death, of course, but I think M&M would make a nifty system for high level fantasy campaigns that would be a good alternative to Epic D&D (too burdensome in the number crunching department) and Exalted (too setting bound with all the anime-kung-fu-crap-pardon-my-French). There is, after all, a whole comicbook tradition of S&S - - DC's Arion & Warlord, the old Turok tales, Marvel's adaptions of King Kull & Conan, and various takes on Camelot, just to name a few. Plus, this could be fun on those days when the Freedom League gets blasted back into the mythical past or into fey dimensions.

2. Expansion of the Freedom City world to include more detailed treatments of the Lost World and Subterra. (Note that this could also do some double duty as exotic settings for pulp hero fans).

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:02 pm

The Human Pest II wrote:1. A swords & sorcery supplement for M&M. (Everyone rolls eyes). S&S has been done to death, of course, but I think M&M would make a nifty system for high level fantasy campaigns that would be a good alternative to Epic D&D (too burdensome in the number crunching department) and Exalted (too setting bound with all the anime-kung-fu-crap-pardon-my-French). There is, after all, a whole comicbook tradition of S&S - - DC's Arion & Warlord, the old Turok tales, Marvel's adaptions of King Kull & Conan, and various takes on Camelot, just to name a few. Plus, this could be fun on those days when the Freedom League gets blasted back into the mythical past or into fey dimensions.

Far from rolling eyes, my group intends to do just this for fantasy gaming - assuming we can ever get together to actually GAME again. :P Heck, we intend to try it for lowish-to-mid-level fantasy adventuring!

You can't really build a 1st level D&D wizard in M&M, no - but then, why would you WANT to? :P But though I haven't actually been able to try it yet, I think it can handle the equivalent of, oh, fourth level parties and up quite nicely.

My one concern is that I wonder if maybe pure-fighting types will get excessively tempted to branch into magic as they advance. I'm working on what flaws Sorcery will need to make fighters and rogues competitive.

I honestly feel that M&M can handle ANY genre that's even slightly on the cinematic side. (I'm not using "cinematic" here in the GURPS sense of being opposite to "grim and gritty", but in the sense of, "We don't need to pay attention to details that aren't fun or dramatically interesting.")
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:33 am

cjudisch wrote:For whatever my input is worth, I'd like to see the "M&M Annual" book become, well, annual.

Absolutely.

cjudisch wrote:I think it'd be a great way to advance the meta-plot of the company's setting(s)

Never speak of an accursed meta-plot again!!! They are evil and naughty in my sight!!!

cjudisch wrote: and to include short articles/pieces that wouldn't nessecarilly be viable as stand alone products (for example the Freedom City 2525 & WWII sections from the current book are both are FANTASTIC articles, but I doubt they'd sell themselves into the black on their own).

If *THAT* idea floats... I'd love, Love, LOVE to see a "Freedom City Beyond" type cyberpunk/superhero feature, as well as some other historical sub-settings (Wild West, Victorian Steampunk/Superhero, etc...) and more in-depth treatments of other parts of the setting(s) (I'd like to see the Freedom City and/or Meta-4 take on Atlantis and see more of the Star Knights).

I think exploring the ins and outs of Comic-Book Magic and Mystiscim would make a great stand-alone sourcebook.

A book of lower-powered heroes (or an "Annual" article/section) for use as allies and or sidekicks would be pretty useful.

As Mr. McGlothlin pointed out (both in the book "Noir" itself and on these boards) the Noir genre is similar to, but not the same as the "Pulp" genre. As a fan of "Pulp" era heroes, I'd *LOVE* to see an entire book on the subject, but that might not go over too well (historically, Pulp-era settings/games haven't been money-makers for RPGs).

I also think that a slimmed down "Player's Book", that contains just the character creation rules would be a great idea.

An official Character Creation software utility would rule the universe, preferably one that had the ability to download data files as the rules continue to evolve and to include house rules as exportable data.

(edited for typographical/spelling errors)

aside from the mention of a meta-plot, I'm with you.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

darkfated1972
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkfated1972 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:08 am

Someone mentioned a Terimus Invision Sourcebook, good idea but I do think it would be able to carry the whole book. Now if it was a source for the Terminus from exploring it, the denzions that call it hame, plus a section on the invision...well it all good. :D
The Annuals would be a great boon for players and gm's. Specially if they are used to expend both Meta-4 and Freedom City settings. I would love to see more books like Crooks!, perhaps pulled for the posters themselves.
I would love to see a line of maps and minis. Better yet I love love to see M&M character expansion for heroclix.
Of course I would like to see a Special Ops book detailing how different world governments view superheroes and their plans they have to control or stop "rogue" heroes. Afterall if one thinks about it, superheroes are WMD.

Return to “Suggestion Box”