Terminus Invasion Sourcebook

Tell us what you think of this site, request features, make suggestions, or let us know what you would have done differently. We'll always listen to what you have to say, and sometimes we'll even change things accordingly!
mabottos
Groupie
Groupie

Terminus Invasion Sourcebook

Post by mabottos » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:37 am

The Terminus Invasion of '93 was the most pivotal crisis in Freedom City history.

Now you can replay those dark hours and desperate deeds!

Includes adventures, hooks, and further campaign extensions for Street Level (PL5), Supers (PL10), and Ultras (PL15+).

Includes a day by day timeline of the Terminus Invasion, and how to incorporate it into your campaign.

Full stats, motivations and goals of all major partcipants, both benign and malevolent! The Masterminds! The Mooks! The Gods! The Grunts!

How to play city-wide disasters, "discovering your powers", and even how to roleplay a heroic death, in four-colour, gritty, or modern style!

Mass Combat! You can bust open a tank, but can you take on an army?

And further possible repurcussions of the Terminus Invasion. Did we win, or was the "defeat" part of a greater plan?

"You cannot know bravery, unless you know fear..."

At least, that's what I would like to see...

Since the Terminus Invasion has already "happened," it might depend how far the GM is willing to bend current continuity.

The easiest way is with lower power PC's, who may not affect current history. However, it's possible that the only way Centurion was able to defeat Omega, was with the assistance of a small group of untested heroes. Being dead, he could not acknowledge their selfless contribution to victory.

Death is tricky subject. Heroic Sacrifice? Tragic End? Pointless Slaughter? How to handle death in a superhero RPG could darn well be a chapter by itself.
Last edited by mabottos on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We can all be heroes, but some of us look better in spandex than others...

jpetoh
Hireling
Hireling

Post by jpetoh » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:28 pm

Here, here! I'd buy that for a dollar... or more.
"The things that come to those who wait are usually the things left behind by those who got there first."

mabottos
Groupie
Groupie

Post by mabottos » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:19 pm

Hey, that's why I suggested it. I've not regretted a dollar I've spent for M&M. And I'm always looking for ways to enjoy parting with my money!

I'm not thinking of a module, but a whole pile of stuff, and each GM decides what parts could work. Could be template for another invasion, or a sourcebook for baddies, plots, disasters, etc.

faenril
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by faenril » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:19 am

Imagine your heroes travel accidentally trough time and arrives at this very moment ;-)
Now! This is it!
Now is the time to choose!
Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow!
Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

mabottos
Groupie
Groupie

Post by mabottos » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:16 pm

Oh, yeah!

That's a good way to get the heroes into it!

Now, first, do they try to interfere with history?

Secondly, information about the Terminus Invasion may be pretty sketchy. Where would they do the most good?

Good hook? They find photos/video/etc from Terminus Invasion where which has some of the characters in the background, at their current age!

Then, things start changing in Freedom City, like the Terminus Invasion went a lot worse. Things continue changing, with only the characters aware of the previous state of things, to the point where Omega won! Then sucked into time travel, sorcerous intervention, the Watcher jumps in, etc.

Hmmm. Maybe I should just write it myself.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by Kit » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:35 am

Interesting idea.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

jpetoh
Hireling
Hireling

Post by jpetoh » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:30 am

What if the Terminus Invasions aren't occuring in a linear timeline? What if they are simultaneous?
"The things that come to those who wait are usually the things left behind by those who got there first."

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by Kit » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:26 am

jpetoh wrote:What if the Terminus Invasions aren't occuring in a linear timeline? What if they are simultaneous?
hm. That'd be weird.

or what if you get trapped in the Terminus in 2004 and come out of it during one of the other invasions?

d4
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by d4 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:45 am

Kit wrote:
jpetoh wrote:What if the Terminus Invasions aren't occuring in a linear timeline? What if they are simultaneous?
hm. That'd be weird.

or what if you get trapped in the Terminus in 2004 and come out of it during one of the other invasions?
the superhero Timestream first appeared during the Terminus Invasion of 1965, apparently coming out of the same dimensional rift as Omega's forces. his memory was hazy, but he had a good and noble soul, and he helped Freedom City's heroes defeat Omega's invasion plans with his super-speed and limited space-time manipulation powers.

Timestream later went on to a short stint in the Freedom League, and later worked as a solo hero in New York City. some mystery surrounded the hero, however. although he appeared out of the Terminus, Timestream is 100% Earth human, and research by Dr. Atom even revealed that his chronal signature matches our universe (meaning he is a native of this Earth, unlike Centurion). however, no record of his existence before 1965 could ever be found. even more strange, Timestream would often have prophetic dreams of future events, although these were not always entirely accurate and usually too indistinct to do much good.

the Terminus Invasion of 1993 brought Timestream back to Freedom City. in a desperate attempt to defeat Omega, Timestream joined Andrea Atom and Prince Mentac in going to the Terminus itself to close the dimensional rift from the other side. he was never seen again.

(the theory is that when Timestream entered the Terminus in 1993, he came out in 1965. he is a man who was never born and never died -- he only exists in a loop of time between 1965 and 1993. his "prophetic dreams" are actually memories of his past; the reason why they are not always accurate is because every time Timestream lives through the loop of time, it happens a bit differently...)

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:50 am

d4 wrote:(the theory is that when Timestream entered the Terminus in 1993, he came out in 1965. he is a man who was never born and never died -- he only exists in a loop of time between 1965 and 1993. his "prophetic dreams" are actually memories of his past; the reason why they are not always accurate is because every time Timestream lives through the loop of time, it happens a bit differently...)
That's great.

And if Timestream never becomes a popular character then that will be great. If he becomes popular then then some corperate-suit will insist on a new series and an Movie and... ARGH!

Sorry! :oops:
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

Draco
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Draco » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 am

The invasion sourcebook sounds great. I would be happy to pay for it (Of course, if I didn't have to that would be great also :wink: ). Its got my vote.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes.

faenril
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by faenril » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:13 am

I vote for too
Now! This is it!
Now is the time to choose!
Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow!
Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

mabottos
Groupie
Groupie

Post by mabottos » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:18 pm

Yikes. Timestream has a pretty neat origin. Good work!

White Wolf put out a good book from their Mage line about apprenticeship, just starting out in the Mystic Arts.

I think a good chapter in the Terminus Sourcebook would be "Origins". Playing through the gaining of powers. Temporary flaws that get quickly bought off as you get a handle on your powers.

And what a better time to realize you're superpowered than in the middle of a cross dimensional invasion!

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by Kit » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:20 am

Plus, its the origin of my Terminus Babies :twisted:

mabottos
Groupie
Groupie

Post by mabottos » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:33 pm

Ah yes! Check out Kit's idea. It's very good.

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/ph ... php?t=6001