Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Spam/bot blocker?

Tell us what you think of this site, request features, make suggestions, or let us know what you would have done differently. We'll always listen to what you have to say, and sometimes we'll even change things accordingly!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Spam/bot blocker?

Postby Belial666 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 am

Is it possible to put in a spam/bot blocker of sorts, preferably with multiple layers? The number of spam threads have increased significantly.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Spam/bot blocker?

Postby roguescribner » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 am

It appears as if someone (or someones) is actually registering accounts and posting. So other than an IP block that may affect legitimate users, I'm not sure what can be done. You can restrict the posting of links for new users, which may limit the spam, but some people will likely just post fluff to reach their 10th or whatever post so then they can spam links everywhere.

All you can really do is try to stay on top of it so spammers think it's not worth their while to come here.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 am

Part of the problem is that human labor is becoming cheap enough to become competitive to automated methods. Recruit your workers from third-world countries and you can pay them a few dollars a day and get hours of intelligent spamming. Get one person out of thousands of impressions to bite and you've paid off all of your operating costs...
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Belial666 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

How about an option for any user of the forum with over X posts (say, a couple hundred) and lasting accounts (over a month) to be able to flag a post as spam and temporarily render it only visible to moderators?
Spamming is only meaningful if the spam stays visible for more than a few minutes and that happens only if the spamming comes in faster than the moderators can remove it. With a couple thousand people having the ability to render spam nonvisible with a click, the boards should stay clear of spam.
Limited to long-time users for accountability, the option is unlikely to be abused and however cheap it is to make spam, if it can be rendered ineffective by the first guy who sees it it will still lose people money.

Besides, how many times have you guys been browsing a threat or forum and happened upon annoying spam before the moderators could remove it? The ability to vanish it instantly would be quite cathartic.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby roguescribner » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

That would be nice if we could flag posts as spam. I support that idea. :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Arkrite » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Or maybe get another moderator on to help clear the issues.
I mean, short of Kit I don't think I've seen one around in ages.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby HurricaneEm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi everyone, I'm the new mod! Just started today. Things have been cleaned up and I'll continue to monitor and bring down the banhammer. Thanks for the suggestion!
HurricaneEm
Super Awesome Intern. Of Dooooom!
Super Awesome Intern. Of Dooooom!

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

HurricaneEm wrote:Hi everyone, I'm the new mod! Just started today. Things have been cleaned up and I'll continue to monitor and bring down the banhammer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks, Hurricane!
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 am

We got roaches!
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Return to Suggestion Box