The new Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Re: The new Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Postby American_Patriot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:44 am

From what I've heard, John Hurt is going to be playing the Ninth Incarnation of the Doctor, the one who fought the Last Great Time War and sacrificed the Time Lords to end it... and that Christopher Eccleston's doctor was actually the TENTH doctor instead of the ninth! Thus the way Matt's Doctor stated that the Hurt incarnation did it without the name of The Doctor.

Hearing that Matt Smith is leaving the show really hurts... because I really like him in the role, and think he's one of the best (if not the best) Doctor since Tom Baker. Reading all the articles associated with Matt Smith leaving has left me a little down this morning since first reading about it after waking up way to early.
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
"Sometimes... success is measured just one little victory at a time."

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 am

It's a bummer, 'cause I personally think Smith's Doctor is the best ever. I even like him slightly better than Tennant and Baker... But don't ask me to pick between those two for a runner up, 'cause it's just too close for me to make a decision.

I read a few articles when I heard the news, and I do admire Matt Smith for leaving on a high note, rather than letting things get stale and then making the decision to leave. It looks like the show's going to continue, regardless.

As for which Doctor is which, I haven't researched any official responses, but Smith's incarnation recognizing Hurt's incarnation makes me think he will end up being a previously unknown "Doctor" that preceded the one we thought was the 11th... Except that Clara, who by this point has supposedly met all of the Doctor's incarnations ever, didn't recognize him. Neither explanation completely fits what we think we know, so there's certainly more to the story. Patriot's theories seem very plausible to me.

It should be a blast watching it all unfold. :mrgreen:

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:10 pm

American_Patriot wrote:From what I've heard, John Hurt is going to be playing the Ninth Incarnation of the Doctor, the one who fought the Last Great Time War and sacrificed the Time Lords to end it... and that Christopher Eccleston's doctor was actually the TENTH doctor instead of the ninth! Thus the way Matt's Doctor stated that the Hurt incarnation did it without the name of The Doctor.

Hearing that Matt Smith is leaving the show really hurts... because I really like him in the role, and think he's one of the best (if not the best) Doctor since Tom Baker. Reading all the articles associated with Matt Smith leaving has left me a little down this morning since first reading about it after waking up way to early.

I'm with you on all fronts. I'm especially saddened by the suddenness of this. I dont think it was planned. IIRC, Smith had recently been talking about being on through season 8.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Mr Mole wrote:It's a bummer, 'cause I personally think Smith's Doctor is the best ever. I even like him slightly better than Tennant and Baker...

Really? Because i can't stand Smiths Doctor: The "now i'm angry" schtick got old fast.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 pm

saint_matthew wrote:Really? Because i can't stand Smiths Doctor: The "now i'm angry" schtick got old fast.

Yes, really... Although I'm not especially fond of the "now I'm angry" schtick, as you put it, either. :roll:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 am

Mr Mole wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:Really? Because i can't stand Smiths Doctor: The "now i'm angry" schtick got old fast.

Yes, really... Although I'm not especially fond of the "now I'm angry" schtick, as you put it, either. :roll:

I'm hoping that Stephen Moffat will leave at the same time: maybe we can get a decent writer then.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 am

after 4 years i can now start watching Dr Who again
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:17 am

witchfire wrote:after 4 years i can now start watching Dr Who again

why is that? :?:
-Isaac Asimov

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:29 am

saint_matthew wrote:

coud'nt stand matt Smith as the doctor
Some people struggle daily

They struggle with their concience

'Til the end

I have no guilt to haunt me

I feel no wrong intent

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

witchfire wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:

coud'nt stand matt Smith as the doctor

Was he really around for 4 years? Gee-wiz, i'm losing track of time in my dottage.
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:30 am

I don't think John Hurt as the Doctor (but not called the Doctor) during the Time War really holds water. The Doctor has always been adamant that he was the one who ended the Time War and he did it while he was The Doctor. I would like to see more on the Time War and perhaps a true return for the Time Lords as it feels like eliminating them made the universe of Doctor Who a lot smaller. On the other hand, it does make The Doctor unique.

My take is that Hurt is the first incarnation of the Time Lord who became The Doctor. He did something so terrible that The Doctor has spent his entire existence trying to make amends. The name of the Doctor is the name of that Time Lord.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am

The only problem with Hurt being pre-Hartnell is that it wouldn't make sense for what he did to be not in the name of the Doctor. If his actions let to the Doctor picking the name "Doctor" as his promise, then anything he did before would not have broken the promise, since the promise hadn't been made yet.

I think he must be somewhere after Doctor chose his name. As for being a Time War Doctor, he doesn't have to be the one who ended it. Maybe he actually helped the Time Lords towards their final solution or was doing something worse and another version (or two - Smith/Tennant combo maybe) had to stop him and force his regeneration into Chris. Then that Doctor was forced to end the Time War because his previous incarnations actions.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Another possible timeline for him is between Troughton and Pertwee, because we never actually saw that onscreen change. And the Doctor's secret has potentially been going on for much longer than the Time War.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby American_Patriot » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Narsil wrote:Another possible timeline for him is between Troughton and Pertwee, because we never actually saw that onscreen change. And the Doctor's secret has potentially been going on for much longer than the Time War.

The transition between the Second Doctor and the Third Doctor, was seen with the first episode of the third doctor wearing the second's ill fitting clothes and him being in a theater where he get's dressed from among the various costume peices (and him picking through the different hats and a car in the parking lot).
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
"Sometimes... success is measured just one little victory at a time."

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:30 pm

American_Patriot wrote:The transition between the Second Doctor and the Third Doctor, was seen with the first episode of the third doctor wearing the second's ill fitting clothes and him being in a theater where he get's dressed from among the various costume peices (and him picking through the different hats and a car in the parking lot).

Now you have me trying to remember each regeneration to see where there may be gaps. Okay, I remember several on-screen regenerations off the top of my head. The main one that jumps out at me that wasn't depicted was the Eighth Doctor's (Paul McGann) regeneration into the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston). Were there any others that weren't depicted? I think I remember most of the rest...

1st (William Hartnell) --> 2nd (Patrick Troughton) ***SORT OF*** 3rd (Jon Pertwee) --> 4th (Tom Baker) --> 5th (Peter Davidson) --> 6th (Colin Baker) --> 7th (Sylvester McCoy) --> 8th (Paul McGann) ***GAP*** 9th (Christopher Eccleston) --> 10th (David Tenant) --> 11th Matt Smith

The transition from the 2nd Doctor to the 3rd Doctor wasn't a typical, on-screen regeneration and there's a gap between the 8th Doctor and the 9th Doctor... But I'm gonna guess that John Hurt is going to be either before the 1st Doctor (as we know him) or between the 8th and 9th Doctors. The oddities between the 2nd and 3rd Doctors don't strike me as significant enough to accommodate an entirely new incarnation of the Doctor.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”