DC Comics: "We only publish comics for 45 year olds"

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: DC Comics: "We only publish comics for 45 year olds"

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 am

Darrin Kelley wrote:
Kyle wrote:Please explain to me how WONDER WOMAN was an objectively bad book over the course of the first eight issues.

I was a reader of Wonder Woman during that time. So I can list off the things that were and are wrong with that book.

The defamation and outright execution of Hippolyta and the Amazons. Which destroyed not just her cultural and family foundation. But also the foundation of her morals.

The bastardization of Wonder Woman and turning her into a Hercules ripoff.

No matter what the writer claims: What he is writing is definitely a different character that has been given the Wonder Woman name.

The so-called "art" of that book is also utterly terrible.

Strangely this is actually the same problem WW originally had, just in a different flavour... WW was always hampered by being a brainchild of a specific era & when that era was over she was incapable of adapting because to many of her story features were tied to a very specific time periods popular culture. The same thing has happened here, in that the Dark Mythology/Urban Fantasy thing was flavour of the month for a while in late 2010, early 2011, but it was already over by the time issue 1 of WW came out.

Thats just the way it is with Teen Fiction: There will be something popular, then its imitated to death by a metric butt load of pretenders apping its style, with diminishing returns, until no one cares for it anymore, at which point it is replaced with the next hit thing.

As for why i dislike it, i'll admit its mostly subjective, but can be summed up in two words: Rape Pirates.

Kyle wrote:Also, I can't even fathom that someone would think Cliff Chiang isn't one of the top artistic talents working in mainstream comics, today

Stylistically i have to agree with Darrin: I dislike the dirty, muddy art style. Thats completely subjective, but i find it to be stylistically lazy, like shooting photos only in black and white & then putting a sepia wash over everything. I prefer clean crisp lines, soft curves over harsh angular lines & vibrant colours, even if they happen to be dark vibrant colours (think the colouring style of Powers). Its the same thing with the over-wrought painted look that was popular a few years ago: I can't stand that as a stylistic choice either.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Darrin Kelley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm

saint_matthew wrote:Rape Pirates.

That was the defamation I was speaking of. The dragging down of the Amazons into the mud and turning them into something, that in the comics up to that point, that they never were.

It was a hatchet-job done to the Amazons. And I don't believe a writer should be rewarded for that kind of hate-filled behaviour.

Stylistically i have to agree with Darrin: I dislike the dirty, muddy art style. Thats completely subjective, but i find it to be stylistically lazy, like shooting photos only in black and white & then putting a sepia wash over everything. I prefer clean crisp lines, soft curves over harsh angular lines & vibrant colours, even if they happen to be dark vibrant colours (think the colouring style of Powers). Its the same thing with the over-wrought painted look that was popular a few years ago: I can't stand that as a stylistic choice either.

Yes, dirty is what I would describe the art style as.

And the inking was such a screamingly obvious use of Photoshop that it feels mechanized. There is no natural flow to the inking at all.

savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Postby savijmuhdrox » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Has anyone seen Robotman's nose yet?
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”