DC Comics: "We only publish comics for 45 year olds"

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Ares
Hero
Hero

DC Comics: "We only publish comics for 45 year olds"

Postby Ares » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:00 am

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... -olds.html

When Eisner award winner Paul Pope was recently asked about doing an all ages book for DC, he had this to say:

"Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do 'Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]', this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said 'You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.' And I thought, 'I guess we just broke up.'"

So, is this an example of DC just trying to be realistic about its target audience, a sign of them just sort of losing it even more and not even trying to attract new readership, or just an offhand comment made by a higher up dismissing what he thought was a bad idea?

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: DC Comics: "We only publish comics for 45 year olds"

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

If they are trying to sell to 45 year olds, they clearly don't know any 45 year olds. Just write comics for the sake of writing them. Kids are smarter than given credit for, and adults are stupider. And maybe try targeting more than one demographic? Just me, though.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:If they are trying to sell to 45 year olds, they clearly don't know any 45 year olds. Just write comics for the sake of writing them. Kids are smarter than given credit for, and adults are stupider. And maybe try targeting more than one demographic? Just me, though.

There you go trying to introduce common sense to the debate, and we know that's running in short supply at the big two.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah, that's kinda depressing.

Though to be fair, who they're really publishing comics for is 45 year olds who love Batman and have enough disposable income that they might pick up something else on a lark.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 pm

"Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do 'Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]', this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said 'You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.' And I thought, 'I guess we just broke up.'"

That must be my problem. I'm only 39. I'm too immature to fully appreciate the Nu52. So five or six years from now, it'll all seem brilliant to me. But, no, wait... Will they be publishing comics for 45-year olds then or 51-year olds? If I read the stuff they're publishing now in five or six years, will I have matured enough to realize it's actually not rubbish? I suppose if I started doing some heavy drinking and taking the right hallucinogenic compounds, it might be possible to rewire my brain sufficiently in those few years to totally change my take on reality... :|

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 pm

So 45 year olds from 201X have a taste for comics similar to 13 year olds from 199X ? That must have surprised the researchers on the marketing department!
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 pm

The quote was from an exchange in 2005. But don't let that get in the way of your New 52 nerd rage, please.

http://www.newsarama.com/18704-paul-pop ... jects.html

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Flying Cobra wrote:The quote was from an exchange in 2005. But don't let that get in the way of your New 52 nerd rage, please.

In that case I sort of agree with the quote. Not exactly on 45, but In not being kids books. I don't think kids has been their main demographic for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if adults are even more numerous than teen readers by now.

And if the average geek on this board is the sort of fan who gets their complaints to them, curmudgeonly as we are, I could see how he figured us for 45 :lol:
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Flying Cobra wrote:The quote was from an exchange in 2005. But don't let that get in the way of your New 52 nerd rage, please.

My only New 52 nerd rage is that half the books I was really enjoying have gotten cancelled. Apparently the market can sustain twelve separate batbooks and five Green Lantern titles, but not one DIAL H or FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E.? It's aggravating to see good books end prematurely while crap like TEEN TITANS is vomited onto the shelves every month with no sign of stopping.

Though what was true in '05 holds true today. The Amethyst book was the only New 52 title that anyone thought might be aimed at a younger audience, then the first issue came out and featured so tween friendly themes as attempted gang rape.

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 am

i'm 47 & i quit DC when they turn "new 52"

i guess i'm 2 years too old to enjoy theyr comic :roll:
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 am

witchfire wrote:i'm 47 & i quit DC when they turn "new 52"

i guess i'm 2 years too old to enjoy theyr comic :roll:

Me am loving every second of NU52. It is best, most nuanced writing ever concieved in comic book format... Am deep story telling, about lovingly crafted characters, who are all superior to the ones that came before. Also me am loving how Marvel only have 4 franchises now & Avengers totally not over saturated in market place. Me am want to see more Avengers titles.

*sounds of scuffling from off screen*

Ahem, sorry about that folks Bizzaro Saint Matthew got out of his cage again... ironically it was because i forgot NOT to lock his cage. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 am

You thought that was nerd rage? That barely qualified as nerd irritation. :roll:

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 am

Mr Mole wrote:

You thought that was nerd rage? That barely qualified as nerd irritation. :roll:

It was barely a nerd side note. It was like a nerd nod to, followed by nerd different conversation.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Mr Mole wrote:

It was barely a nerd side note. It was like a nerd nod to, followed by nerd different conversation.

Barely a Nerd Nod, more like a nerd grunt of acknowledgement.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CENTINULL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Seriously, the NU52 is no worse than the state the DC universe was in before the NU52.

Nostalgia and rose colored glasses hide a multitude of sins.

About the age thing, I'm 37, and most of my friends are within a 10 year span older than me, and we are the target demographic.

The younger generation is too busy spending their disposable income on other stuff while they pirate their comics and comic related movies off the internet. My visits to any of the local comic shop make me feel like a youngster. The guy who owns the shop, older than me. The guy behind the counter, older than me. The regulars, collecting comics since the 70s, 80s, and 90s, mostly older than me.

The superhero stuff aimed at kids these days are the cartoons, toys, movies, and games. When I see a kid in a comic shop these days it's because his dad is picking up his comics and brought the spawn with him.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”