The Authority

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Tclynch
Bystander
Bystander

The Authority

Postby Tclynch » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:39 pm

Well, it's published by Guardians of Order and there is no M&M conversion....BUT, it does have some great stuff in it and ...well...here is the link to my review-

www.ushaa.com
Yeah, I dig it....a little bit.

www.ushaa.com

Webhead
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Webhead » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:46 pm

So, it's finally been released then? I really want to pick up a copy but I wasn't even sure it had come out yet.
"You can't stop me! I'm the Fed-Exorcist! I'm like the Magneto of styrofoam!"

The Speaker in Dreams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby The Speaker in Dreams » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:51 pm

Remember that I've got some pretty extensive conversion notes from SAS - M&M posted up in the Fan Resources section. SAS isn't The Authority, but it's run by the same engine/mechanics (TriStat) so the conversion notes should still apply.

Just for those of us interested in the swapping of setting information, etc. ;)
A thick mist enters the room, filling the space with a sense of mystery. In the center a shadowy form can be seen standing, but it's features are obscurred, it's speech echoed by some unnatural means ...

Tclynch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tclynch » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:57 pm

Hummmmmm...haven't seen your notes but, the Authority uses d12 for it's game rather than the d10 in SAS, would that change anything?

www.ushaa.com

Tclynch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tclynch » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:59 pm

Webhead wrote:So, it's finally been released then? I really want to pick up a copy but I wasn't even sure it had come out yet.

Well....it's really NOT out yet. I picked up my copy on Ebay from a guy that had bought a copy at GenCon and did not want it. I believe that it will be out in the stores next month.

www.ushaa.com

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:39 am

I played a demo of it at Origins.

We didn't finish the first combat round, and my character didn't even get his attack action.

Worst gaming experience (that I've paid money for) ever.

I have no idea, the game might have been good, but I didn't get to see a whole heck of a lot.

The other players included a few hardcore Authority 'fans,' which, unfortunately, seemed to utterly despise the Authority characters and go on at length discussing the current fad characters (Jugo? Ben Santini?) messily killing them off and / or beating the holy living crap out of them.

Yikes. I thought 'fans' of a series would kinda *like* at least some of the characters!

The SAS system looked interesting, but I'd have to see it in use to have a better opinion, since I really didn't, despite supposedly playing it for 2 hours.

The Authority sourcebook will have original artwork of characters from the comic, by the artist, including a pretty nice one of Jenny Sparks, as well as stats for all of the Authority line-up, and 'four other characters, including Jugo' if I recall correctly. We did get a very in-depth advertising schpiel, if nothing else, and I was a little nonplussed that people could get worked up over original art of characters that they wanted messily stomped into oblivion...

The Speaker in Dreams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby The Speaker in Dreams » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:48 am

Tclynch wrote:Hummmmmm...haven't seen your notes but, the Authority uses d12 for it's game rather than the d10 in SAS, would that change anything?

Check 'em out here: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/ph ... php?t=1962

With the D12 scale change: It wouldn't change much really ... the conversion mentions that SAS uses a 10 level progression, so changing the progression to 12 level wouldn't really do much except up the TriStat conversion potential.

If SAS stops at 10, Authority would keep on up to 12. The conversion methods would still apply I think, though.
A thick mist enters the room, filling the space with a sense of mystery. In the center a shadowy form can be seen standing, but it's features are obscurred, it's speech echoed by some unnatural means ...

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:22 am

Setothes wrote:I played a demo of it at Origins.

We didn't finish the first combat round, and my character didn't even get his attack action.

Worst gaming experience (that I've paid money for) ever.

I have no idea, the game might have been good, but I didn't get to see a whole heck of a lot.

The other players included a few hardcore Authority 'fans,' which, unfortunately, seemed to utterly despise the Authority characters and go on at length discussing the current fad characters (Jugo? Ben Santini?) messily killing them off and / or beating the holy living crap out of them.

Yikes. I thought 'fans' of a series would kinda *like* at least some of the characters!

The SAS system looked interesting, but I'd have to see it in use to have a better opinion, since I really didn't, despite supposedly playing it for 2 hours.

The Authority sourcebook will have original artwork of characters from the comic, by the artist, including a pretty nice one of Jenny Sparks, as well as stats for all of the Authority line-up, and 'four other characters, including Jugo' if I recall correctly. We did get a very in-depth advertising schpiel, if nothing else, and I was a little nonplussed that people could get worked up over original art of characters that they wanted messily stomped into oblivion...

Ouch. I haven't received my copy yet so I can't comment on the art. I know it has Tri-stat and D20 stats for the characters.
Sorry you had such a bad experience with the demo. Yours is the first complaint i've seen thus far.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”