Reccomend me some good super-hero comics.

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
GrayPumpkin
Superhero
Superhero

Postby GrayPumpkin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:07 am

Dude, no one's mentioned Invincible from Image? A great series. Easy to pick up. Kinda hard to find the first TPB.

You know I’ve been meaning to look into this book, I’ve heard a lot of people say good things about it. But for some reason whenever I’m in the comicbook shop I never remember to pick it up.
biochris: I was much the same as you when it came to Image, but then a few years back when Allen Moore came on with them I got into some of their stuff.

Flexor the Mighty!
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flexor the Mighty! » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:26 am

Thanks for the replies!

While I hear rave reviews about Astonishing X-Men...I just don't want to read any more X-anything. On a related note, most of the people rave about everything Joss Whedon does. I hated Buffy & Angel and was ambilivent about Firefly even though I only saw an episode or two of it. So I'm going to give that a pass.

Now Justice Society of America. What time is it set in? I'm interested in this one now.

What is the current JLA like?

Astro-City. That's by Kurt Busiek right? If so I'll see if they have an issue laying around the comics store. I know one was out a week ago when I was in the store.

I wish there was a Hellboy ongoing series. I'm planning on getting the trades of the whole series as soon as I get some extra cash.

What is Superman like now? Jim Lee is drawing it at the moment right?

Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:56 am

JSA is set in the present. I recommend the TPBs more than I do the current issues, but that's just me.

Current JLA has thus far been...unpleasant. There was a time when I wouldn't miss an issue of JLA. Ever since Morrison left, I haven't had the same interest. Kelly's storylines were by far the most over-the-top, confusing, masturbatory storylines I've seen in JLA. Since he's gone, you may want to give the new writer (Chuck Austen, I believe) a chance, but he's the guy who, for my money, has been screwing up Uncanny X-Men.

Astro City will always be a good investment, so definitely check that out.

Superman...I couldn't say.

Strictly Speaking

biochris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biochris » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 pm

Masterbutory....great word choice.

Kelly's JLA recently to quote Ford Fairlane is like masterbating with a cheese grater, painful yet sometimes satisfying.
Although Austen is destroying the Xmen, I'm very pleased with the current story arc in JLA.
Funny thing about the Superman and Batman books is that they have years when they are awesome and years when they are horrid. Superman books are IMO coming into some really great stories. The weakest story to me is the Jim Lee Superman. Since Batman's huge success it just seems that DC has found a way to get people to by the book for a year...put Jim Lee as the artist....maybe they should try it on Legion so that book could stick around for more then 4 years at a time.
I've been also picking up DC's huge crossover for Batman....ahh the obligatory crossovers. This one is actually readable and somewhat enjoyable....ah the teen angst!
Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

Pun intended:
A dyslexic man walked into a bra....

GrayPumpkin
Superhero
Superhero

Postby GrayPumpkin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:21 pm

While I pretty much disliked most of what Austin did on his X-men run, especially than awful mess he made of Nightcrawler’s origin, I did like some of the stuff he did. I think the hero Juggernaut is much more intresting than the villain one ever was, I also liked Fishboy and he managed to do some cool stuff with Northstar.

Flexor the Mighty!
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flexor the Mighty! » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Invincible was great. How many issues of that are out now?

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:56 pm

Flexor the Mighty! wrote:Invincible was great. How many issues of that are out now?

I think #15 is coming out soon. #14 started a new story arc, which usually run around 4 to 5 issues.

The first TPB has #1 - 4, and I've said before is hard to find. The second is #5 - 8, and much easier to find. And the latest, which will be coming out in September has issues #9 - 13.

I wholeheartedly recommend the series. It's chock full of industry homages from the JLA to the Watchmen. Its a teen series, in that the hero is a teenager just getting his powers and will be going to college, but don't let that turn you off. Its a great series.
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:11 pm

GrayPumpkin wrote:and he managed to do some cool stuff with Northstar.

I'd forgotten about that. very true.

Strictly Speaking

Flexor the Mighty!
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flexor the Mighty! » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:12 pm

Do you know what the name of the first TPB is? There are three or four on Amazon.

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:37 pm

I don't know how recent these books really are and I'm more into the Trade Paperback market than the individual issue one but I've enjoyed most of the America's Best Comics line.

Tom Strong - very much an homage to the silver and golden age, sort of like Moore's work with Supreme.
Promethea - This one is pretty hard to describe, it's not a superhero book, its more like a modern mythological figure set in a world where superheroes do exist.
Tomorrow Stories - Each issue is like 4 mini-issues all rolled into one; and the recurring characters are all great.

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:04 pm

Flexor the Mighty! wrote:Do you know what the name of the first TPB is? There are three or four on Amazon.

If this is to me, then:

1. Invincible: Family Matters
2. Invincible: Eight is Enough
3. Invincible: Perfect Strangers

And it looks like Amazon.com has the first two in stock!
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Trapster » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:54 pm

goodtremere wrote:Quite a bit of Image has changed since its inception, the people who started it pretty much went back to the Big 2 since they screwed their own company over.

Invincible is/was up for awards (Eisner?) for best new series.

For those who wanna read Invincible #1 its online.
http://www.imagecomics.com/cgi-bin/inde ... linecomics
WOW! You'd never guess where it is going from the first issue. :)
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

enrious
Bystander
Bystander

Postby enrious » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:54 pm

Flexor the Mighty! wrote:While I hear rave reviews about Astonishing X-Men...I just don't want to read any more X-anything. On a related note, most of the people rave about everything Joss Whedon does. I hated Buffy & Angel and was ambilivent about Firefly even though I only saw an episode or two of it. So I'm going to give that a pass.

I'm in that category as well. However...go to a comic book store now, as they have re-released the first three issues (the current is 4) in one volume.

P.S. - Flexor, check your mailbox.

telekinetic-spiderman
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby telekinetic-spiderman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:58 am

can anyone tell me a site or store in canada that will ship these comics in for me in less than amazons 5-7 weeks?

:

JSA
Astonishing X-Men
Astro City
Invincible-
1. Invincible: Family Matters
2. Invincible: Eight is Enough
3. Invincible: Perfect Strangers

i have a credit card, so thats no problem.
and paypal, payment methods are not a thing to worry of, i just need a place i can get them,

damn you canada for being so ... no were
I AM QUANTUM,
all inanimat matter is at my control!!!!!

Sacremas
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Sacremas » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:29 am

Canada? Aw, quit yer complainin', I'm in northern Norway, I have to wait at least a year to get new comics, and then I have to pay double the price for it, and I like it!

Ahem.

Comics, yes.

Another vote for Invincible from me, great series. Also another vote for both Astonishing X-Men (damn those pages had better be true... that spread page left me grinning like an idiot for hours! that said I think I saw that scene once on Buffy...) and JSA, best team books currently published.

Hearing good things about Ultimate Spiderman, about to check it out. You might want to concider trying both Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates, not to mention the great Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Gotham Central; sort of like NYPD in Gotham, about regular cops trying to survive encounters against Arkham's finest before the Bat gets to them. Could possibly turn into The Shield in Gotham soon, with the return of Harvey Bullock...

She-Hulk; suprisingly brilliant. Comedy and superheroics side by side beautifully, it as much makes a parody out of the Marvel universe as it worships it.

And aside from that there's just about anything out there with the name Alan Moore on it...
"I am what I am and that is all that I am."

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”