Reccomend me some good super-hero comics.

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Kwikdraw
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Kwikdraw » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:47 am

Strict31 wrote:Current JLA has thus far been...unpleasant. There was a time when I wouldn't miss an issue of JLA. Ever since Morrison left, I haven't had the same interest. Kelly's storylines were by far the most over-the-top, confusing, masturbatory storylines I've seen in JLA. Since he's gone, you may want to give the new writer (Chuck Austen, I believe) a chance, but he's the guy who, for my money, has been screwing up Uncanny X-Men.

From what I understand, Kurt Busiek is taking over JLA as of issue #107. From the looks of the preview, it's vaguely tied into events from the JLA/Avengers series and features the return of the Crime Syndicate. I just might have to pick it up to see how it is.

telekinetic-spiderman wrote:can anyone tell me a site or store in canada that will ship these comics in for me in less than amazons 5-7 weeks?

Um… if you're really in Toronto I can think of several different places you could pick them up right now, T-S. I don't know if they do shipping, but you could certainly call 'em and find out. Check out this list of stores in Toronto for more info.

biochris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biochris » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:55 am

Adding one more that has been interesting for the past three months...Green Lantern.
This book has been horrible for so long, the only reason I picked it up is because of the return of Hal Jordan. I wanted to see how they were gonna handle Rayner.
Anyone pick up the latest issue? Rematch (part 30) between Kyle and Major Force (the dude who killed Kyles girlfriend and stuffed her in his fridge).

Awesome! I can see where they are taking this.

For those not in the know I'll type it in white and you can highlight to read it.

SPOILERS....the white didn't work so well!

Major Force kills Kyle's mom (the only one he feels he can talk to on Earth) and stuffs her in her oven. He didn't put her in the fridge because he "doesn't like to repeat himself"
Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

Pun intended:
A dyslexic man walked into a bra....

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:34 am

Kwikdraw wrote:From what I understand, Kurt Busiek is taking over JLA as of issue #107. From the looks of the preview, it's vaguely tied into events from the JLA/Avengers series and features the return of the Crime Syndicate. I just might have to pick it up to see how it is.

Oooo... cool!
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:06 pm

goodtremere wrote:
Kwikdraw wrote:From what I understand, Kurt Busiek is taking over JLA as of issue #107. From the looks of the preview, it's vaguely tied into events from the JLA/Avengers series and features the return of the Crime Syndicate. I just might have to pick it up to see how it is.

Oooo... cool!

I'm in the same boat with goodtremere. Kurt Busiek....JLA......I am one smilin' ghost today!!
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Flexor the Mighty!
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flexor the Mighty! » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:11 pm

Well I picked up the first TPB of Invincible today. Quite good. I think I'll be following the series in TPB form rather than the individual issues though.

I grabbed the current issue of JSA today, I'm confused. This is set in the modern time? Why are the old Flash & GL around? Weren't they 40's heroes along with several other characters in the book? I'm very confused with this, and since it was part two of a story it wasn't the most entertaining read. I'm more confused than anything with this title, I may try the next issue and see what's up. I've always liked Jerry Ordway's pencils.

I'm not into the whole "Ultimate" stuff. I don't feel like spending more money on "modern" takes on superheroes I already read, ie the FF & Spidey. A lot of people rave about them but I'll spend that money on stuff like Invincible TPB's. A good new series instead of rehashed versions of classic heroes is a better way to spread my limited comic dollars IMO. I flipped through some of the Ulitmate Spider-Man TPBs and it looked ok I guess, just nothing I really feel like getting into.

Busiek taking over JLA will get me buying it. I'm pumped for that.

PS - I finally got Avengers 500 and while it was ok, there were too many multipanel shots of explosions going on. They could have told more story in that space IMO. It was ok, but nothing special.

PPS - I found out that Thor #85 next month is the end of the series!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Please don't let the character be revived as part of the Young Avengers!

biochris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biochris » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:09 pm

You guys suck!!

I as well picked up Invincible TPB #1. I've gotten through the first two and....damnit.....I enjoyed them.

Jumping in now on JSA might be tricky....get the TPB's. It all makes sense. They clear up all of the Zero Hour/Crisis problems and will explain why some of the old people around with the newbies. Plus the first one has some great cameos of Kid Eternity and the short lived Fate.

Good stuff
Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

Pun intended:

ToddPower
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby ToddPower » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:21 pm

Flexor the Mighty! wrote:Well I picked up the first TPB of Invincible today. Quite good. I think I'll be following the series in TPB form rather than the individual issues though.

I grabbed the current issue of JSA today, I'm confused. This is set in the modern time? Why are the old Flash & GL around? Weren't they 40's heroes along with several other characters in the book? I'm very confused with this, and since it was part two of a story it wasn't the most entertaining read. I'm more confused than anything with this title, I may try the next issue and see what's up. I've always liked Jerry Ordway's pencils.

I'm not into the whole "Ultimate" stuff. I don't feel like spending more money on "modern" takes on superheroes I already read, ie the FF & Spidey. A lot of people rave about them but I'll spend that money on stuff like Invincible TPB's. A good new series instead of rehashed versions of classic heroes is a better way to spread my limited comic dollars IMO. I flipped through some of the Ulitmate Spider-Man TPBs and it looked ok I guess, just nothing I really feel like getting into.

Busiek taking over JLA will get me buying it. I'm pumped for that.

PS - I finally got Avengers 500 and while it was ok, there were too many multipanel shots of explosions going on. They could have told more story in that space IMO. It was ok, but nothing special.

PPS - I found out that Thor #85 next month is the end of the series!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Please don't let the character be revived as part of the Young Avengers!

The character in Young Avengers is not Thor but someone picking the name up.

As for books

Spider-Girl--want 1 or 2 issue stories with good characters, great action and no crossovers? This is THE Spider-Book. It has all the feel of Classic Spidey with a LOT of BTVS thrown in.

Doom Patrol--Solid action, strong cast, and no ties to a Bat- or Super- book to worry about---JB is also doing Blood of the Demon next year.

Excalibur----An X-Book that doesn't have Wolverine in it and has largely ditched the spandex -----written by the 'hack' Claremont (honestly if you don't like a writer, say so in your Humble Opinion, but until you're hired by the big 2 to write books, calling anyone 'hack' just invites flaming).

JSA--solid writing, solid art, solid cast, and surprises that make interesting reading

Astonishing X-Men---not sure about the 'trade PB' approach, but Whedon has even made Wolverine interesting again.

and check out Peter David's new mini, MadroX
Emma Frost "..J. Jonah Jameson'll be tongue-kissing Spider-Man before the X-Men catch a little public favor."
Kitty Pryde: "Why do you insist on saying things I can never un-hear?"
--Astonishing X-Men 7

Kwikdraw
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Kwikdraw » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:36 pm

Flexor the Mighty! wrote:I grabbed the current issue of JSA today, I'm confused. This is set in the modern time? Why are the old Flash & GL around? Weren't they 40's heroes along with several other characters in the book?

Well, the reason those characters are still around is they have extra benefits from their super abilities. Jay Garrick (Flash) ages more slowly due, I believe, to the "speed force" which is the source of power for most of DC's speedsters. Alan Scott (GL, Sentinel) has the benefits of the mystical energy which originally came from his ring but is now internalized. Wildcat was revealed to have multiple lives during Morrison's run on the JLA.

As biochris mentioned, it's probably best to pick up the TPBs to get a full understanding of what's going on in JSA.

Flexor the Mighty!
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flexor the Mighty! » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I may come back to the TPB's of JSA later but I think I'll go with other stuff for now. Thankfully there is a store around here, The Star Clipper, that has TONS of trades. That's 75% of thier stock, trades. So you can find just about any trade from any comic, or any indie coimc that was only done in trade form. Plus manga out the wazoo. Very nice. I don't go there for my singles, but for trades its the place to go in St. Louis. I think I'll grab the next two Invincibles, heck I know I"m going to go buy 14 and 15 off the rack at my normal shop tomorrow, and start on the Hellboy trades. I'm glad I started getting comics again. :D

biochris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biochris » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:44 am

In my quest to find Invincibles TPB's (you guys still suck) I ran across this on ebay. Please note!!! It's not my listing, I'm not making anything if anyone buys this guys stuff!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 82900&rd=1

Happy reading!

Pun intended:

hexaphim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hexaphim » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:57 pm

Someone was slagging off the MAX line earlier in the thread; I would heartily recommend Supreme Power, which is a modern and grittier version of Squadron Supreme. It's kind of like super-heroes in a "real" world. It's probably been done before, but I think this series is great.

Some titles that haven't been mentioned so far in the thread (unless I conveniently missed the posts...) that everyone should be reading:

Runaways from Marvel - A really, really good book about a group of kids who... well... giving away what it's about would be a crime. Suffice to say that their parents aren't what they appear to be!

Sleeper from Wildstorm - Might be my favorite comic book at the moment. It's set in the Wildstorm universe, but you don't need to read anything else from that universe to follow the storyline. It's about a super-powered agent who's deep, deep, DEEP undercover in a megalomaniacle crime lord's organization, and it is fantastic.

District X from Marvel - it's a cop series set in the mutant ghetto. Bishop is in it, but it doesn't tie in with the other X-books so far. It's also very good. :)

You said you weren't interested in the Ultimate line... If nothing else, you should check out Kevin Vaughan's current issues of Ultimate X-Men. They've been REALLY good.

I would also like to second the recommendations for Astonishing X-Men. Seriously. Give it a chance. :)

And Northern Norway?! Ka farsken! Les dokk tegneseria der óg? ;)

Kwikdraw
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Kwikdraw » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:16 pm

hexaphim wrote:Someone was slagging off the MAX line earlier in the thread; I would heartily recommend Supreme Power, which is a modern and grittier version of Squadron Supreme. It's kind of like super-heroes in a "real" world. It's probably been done before, but I think this series is great.

I'll second Supreme Power. In fact, it's the only regular comic I'm picking up these days (everything else I just wait for trades, or flip through my co-workers' issues. :) ) JMS has done a slow build with the story, but so far it's been worth the wait to develop the characters. And Gary Frank's pencils are excellent. Frank can handle both dynamic action and facial features — you can always differentiate his characters, even when they're not wearing costumes.

PJ Mason
Partisan
Partisan

Postby PJ Mason » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:50 pm

Well i'm not much into the Classic style comics anymore. Planetary, Stormwatch: Team Achilles, Supreme Power, Red Star, even JLA Elite (its an ellis wantabe, but hey). I've had my fill of the classic stuff years ago.....but i still buy JSA. Its that good.

Give it another try. Johns is the best continuity writer in comics today. Said before, i'm saying it again. His knowledge of DC characters is awesome and works with the DC History instead of stepping all over it and he does so while still writing terrific and surpring stories and plot twists. The dude is money!

hexaphim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hexaphim » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:32 am

I picked up Invincible after having read the recommendations in this thread, and all I can say is WOW!

If you're not reading this, you're missing out. Seriously.

Also, I should hasten to add, if you enjoy Invincible, you should really check Runaways out. It deals with some of the same subject matter, and is a great read. :)

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”