Olympic Moments

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
User avatar
goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NW 'burbs of Chicago aka Woodfield

Olympic Moments

Postby goodtremere » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:23 am

I've been on "vacation" while I'm waiting for my new job to start and I've been watching the Olympics on and off for the past couple weeks. Anyone else?

I've always liked following the Olympic Games, learning about the athlete's different stories, cheering for the American, rooting for those underdogs, watching those unusual sports (synchronised diving, rhythmic gymnastics, etc.). In all this international turmoil, its nice to see that the international community can come together for some friendly competition.

Anyway, I saw my favorite Olympic moment this morning. It was the gold medal match for the heavyweight division of the Taekwondo competition. Moon Dae Sung, the favorite from Korea, versus Alexandros Nikolaidis, a 6'7" beast of a man from Greece. First round, thirty seconds into the match, Nikolaidis threw a quick right roundhouse at Moon's front. Moon quickly turned launched into the air and planted the heel of his left spinning back kick onto the left temple of Niolaidis who fell into a heap. KO for the gold.

Awesome. I used to practice TKD for years and years to the point that knee injuries prevented me from competition. It's nice to see matches televised now and again.

I just hope by the next Olympics China will be able to introduce Wushu to the Games.
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

User avatar
biochris
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Postby biochris » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:59 am

Three words.....

Women's




Beach




Vollyball





Nuff said!
Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

Pun intended:
A dyslexic man walked into a bra....

User avatar
Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Posts: 7074
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:29 pm
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:41 am

I haven't really been keeping up, to be honest. I catch glimpses of it, some gymnastics here, some women's soccer there. While flipping channels, I happened upon women's water polo, and I watched for a bit. My thinking was that it would be better than men's water polo because of...well...the women. I wasn't amused. I think they need horses in that sport.

I've also been a longtime advocate of adding RPGing to the Olympics. Very few people realize the conditioning and sacrifices it takes to be a gamer.


Strictly Speaking

User avatar
BerkaZerka
Champion
Champion
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:32 am
Location: Mind's Eye, USA
Contact:

Postby BerkaZerka » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:38 pm

Strict31 wrote:...women's water polo... ...I think they need horses in that sport.

Hmm, those would be short games. I wonder how long horses can hold their breaths... :wink:

As for an Olympic moment, I got a tragic one for ya – In the Men’s 50 meter stand up shooting, the American had just surpassed the Chinese for the top spot with one more shot left. The lead was such that the Chinese could not win, even with a bull’s-eye, but after the shots, it became apparent that the American had shot the wrong target with his last shot and scored a zero, putting him dead last.

Now that sucks big time! At least his teammate was bumped up to silver by it, but still…

BZ

User avatar
Pampero
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:43 pm
Location: Resistencia, Chaco
Contact:

Postby Pampero » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:35 pm

Winning the Gold in both men's soccer and men's basketball.

Well, the semi against *ahem ahem* Team USA (men's basketball) was also a great moment.

User avatar
PsychoBlonde
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:49 pm
Location: Middletown, NY
Contact:

Postby PsychoBlonde » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Hmm . . . well, my favorite moments are almost always medal stuff . . .

Let's see . . . Paul Hamm winning the Gold for men's gymnastics, that was so awesome. I watched him do the rings and you could SEE the pain in his face from his injured shoulder, but he just kept at it. Then when he did the hurdle and fell on his rear, everyone thought he was knocked out. He pulled off a PERFECT performance on the last two apparati and managed to pull it off.

The US took the gold in women's sabre, the first time we've won a gold in fencing for over a hundred years . . . the winner was from Portland, which I happened to be visiting at the time.

I may get the name of this event wrong, but the US team took the gold in the Women's 400 meter (swimming) relay . . . their first swimmer would have taken the gold if she'd competed by herself in the 100 meters. They beat the longest standing swiming WR on the books, too. That's pretty neat.

I love the Olympics . . . look no further for your super-heros, folks.
O it is Excellent to have a Giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a Giant.
My Blog

User avatar
Chrono
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby Chrono » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:38 pm

In the men's 26 mile marathon a man wearing a kilt ran out and tackled the Brazilian runner, forcing some of the folks observing the race to help get the kilt-wearing wacko off of the runner. (The Brazilian runner kept going and won the Bronze).
The women's beach volleyball was also definetely worth watching :wink: Also, I enjoyed watching (and rooting for) the Iraqi men's soccer team. Although, I think I've enjoyed watching the different track and field events more than anything else. Now that the summer Olympics are over, I'm looking forward to the Winter Olympics, with any luck they should be just as enjoyable to watch.
Last edited by Chrono on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lost track of time
In a flurry of smoke
Waiting anxiety
For a fair judgement deserved"
- Opeth, A Fair Judgement

User avatar
goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NW 'burbs of Chicago aka Woodfield

Postby goodtremere » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:48 pm

BerkaZerka wrote:
Strict31 wrote:...women's water polo... ...I think they need horses in that sport.

Hmm, those would be short games. I wonder how long horses can hold their breaths... :wink:


Did you know that horses can actually swim? Er, but not with riders.

Oh, and I did think that women's beach volleyball was quite... :oops: .
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

User avatar
JayBeeThoth
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:54 am
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Postby JayBeeThoth » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:34 pm

Chrono wrote:In the men's 26 mile marathon a man wearing a kilt ran out and tackled the Brazilian runner, forcing some of the folks observing the race to help get the kilt-wearing wacko off of the runner. (The Brazilian runner kept going and won the Bronze).

It turns out that the exact same nutcase - in the exact same outfit! - ran into a car race a few months ago.

They say he has a distance from reality... I say they should lock him up now. Don't wait for a 3rd strike!
Last edited by JayBeeThoth on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Hunters Inc.. Stay tuned for 2E plans!

User avatar
The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2782
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Silicon Valley

Postby The Trapster » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:25 pm

Don't you guys know a supervillain when you see one?! :)

I wanted a lot and recorded a lot. :D

:( I really wanted to see fencing, equestrian, and a couple of other lesser sports, but they put those on the Pay channel in my area. :(
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

User avatar
Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Posts: 7074
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:29 pm
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:48 am

goodtremere wrote:
BerkaZerka wrote:
Strict31 wrote:...women's water polo... ...I think they need horses in that sport.

Hmm, those would be short games. I wonder how long horses can hold their breaths... :wink:


Did you know that horses can actually swim? Er, but not with riders.



So is that a vote "for" or "against" horses in water polo...?


Strictly Speaking

User avatar
Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1183
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:15 am
Location: South Riding, VA

Re: Olympic Moments

Postby Iron Poet » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:00 am

goodtremere wrote:
Anyway, I saw my favorite Olympic moment this morning. It was the gold medal match for the heavyweight division of the Taekwondo competition. Moon Dae Sung, the favorite from Korea, versus Alexandros Nikolaidis, a 6'7" beast of a man from Greece. First round, thirty seconds into the match, Nikolaidis threw a quick right roundhouse at Moon's front. Moon quickly turned launched into the air and planted the heel of his left spinning back kick onto the left temple of Niolaidis who fell into a heap. KO for the gold.


*sigh* In all honesty, this was the only event I wanted to watch, and I missed it. :(

Studied TKD for... five? six? years awhile back... just makes it mean that much more to see pro-level competitors in action...
... and then the destruction began.

User avatar
akunin
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:23 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Postby akunin » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:01 pm

BerkaZerka wrote:As for an Olympic moment, I got a tragic one for ya – In the Men’s 50 meter stand up shooting, the American had just surpassed the Chinese for the top spot with one more shot left. The lead was such that the Chinese could not win, even with a bull’s-eye, but after the shots, it became apparent that the American had shot the wrong target with his last shot and scored a zero, putting him dead last.

Now that sucks big time! At least his teammate was bumped up to silver by it, but still…

BZ


Ouch.

I'm a big basketball fan. I've even bumped into the Olympic basketball team's Shawn Marion a couple times. So the thing I will remember the most is the U.S. Men's Basketball upset. The U.S. "Dream Team" is made up of some of the NBA's best players. They are expected to never lose a game and win the gold. They ended up getting a bronze. To tell you the truth, I thought Puerto Rico would give them a tough match (PR have two NBA players on their roster) but instead they lost to PR. Then they dropped a couple more games. I think these Olympic Games sends a message to all American basketball fans that the U.S. cannot dominate the sport any longer. We aren't the best in basketball. The rest of the world just caught up to us, and may have surpassed us. :(

Oh, and the women's beach volleyball was good, but I liked the indoor volleyball better, because there were more girls jumping around to stare at :wink:
"Mmmm...bacon."

"Squirrel."

"Mmmm...squirrel."

User avatar
biochris
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Postby biochris » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:05 pm

[quote="akunin
Oh, and the women's beach volleyball was good, but I liked the indoor volleyball better, because there were more girls jumping around to stare at :wink:[/quote]

Oh...but were they in skin tight bikinis, sportin' cheek leak by the end of the second match?? I think not!

Huzzah!! :D
Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.



Pun intended:

A dyslexic man walked into a bra....

User avatar
JayBeeThoth
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:54 am
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Postby JayBeeThoth » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:23 pm

akunin wrote:Ouch.

I'm a big basketball fan. I've even bumped into the Olympic basketball team's Shawn Marion a couple times. So the thing I will remember the most is the U.S. Men's Basketball upset. The U.S. "Dream Team" is made up of some of the NBA's best players. They are expected to never lose a game and win the gold. They ended up getting a bronze.

Actually, I liked that.

I've always thought of the Olympics as an opportunity for amateur atheletes to test themselves against each other. The USA loading their team up with pros (the Dream Team, Wimbledon winners, etc.) has always seemed unfair to me. Personally, I thought it was a mistake for the IOC to allow pro atheletes in the Games...
Author of Hunters Inc.. Stay tuned for 2E plans!


Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest