Brian Singer unveils his new Sentinel

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Brian Singer unveils his new Sentinel

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, so... that. Thoughts?

Personally, that's just one more reason I won't be seeing this movie. Reason number one, of course, being that Brian Singer is attached to the project.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Brian Singer unveils his new Sentinel

Postby Shock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 pm

I hope/assume that CGI is going to pretty that up a bit.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm

It does lack a certain amount of grit and menace. Unless the original design intent is something other than mutant hunting murder-bot and they're later reprogrammed/repurposed, I'm not really seeing it.

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby thaumonuclear » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:48 am

Sentinel's always looked a bit silly to me. They're not threatening until they start doing things.

I'm more disappointed that I heard this is ANOTHER Wolverine movie. Does even the biggest Wolverine fan need 6 Wolverine movies? (I think his best scene is in First Class where Charles walks up to him, and he immediately says "Go F Yourself")

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 am

It looks like they're going for something like Sentinels designed by Apple. It does seem like something people would be more willing to accept as a security system compared to the usual giant purple death robots. That said, I'll reserve judgment until we see them in action.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am

Yeah, we don't know what their proposed purpose is yet. I don't think in the movie universe that there's enough anti-mutant feelings to warrant giant killer robots, but smaller "security bots" make sense. Also, notice the "2" on the side of the leg. There's probably multiple versions of the Sentinels, the final one probably being more in line with the comic book version.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:44 am

Approximately 15ft tall (big enough to not be convenient, but not big enough to offer much in the way of advantages), some sort of Gatling-gun-laser-looking-hand, what looks like a pivoting thruster mounted in the chest, light-up eyes to make it an easier target, lots of see-through parts to make finding its weak points easier...

On the other hand, they're machines, so Xavier is pretty useless against them... And likely composed entirely of non-ferrous materials, making Magneto unable to affect it directly (usually lots of other metal around to use as weapons, though)...

I'm thinking there's gonna have to be hordes of the things to be any sort of a credible threat to a team of X-Men. Unless they're hiding some nasty surprises under that (largely transparent) shell, they look like Chitauri-level cannon fodder.

K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby K.G. Carlson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 am

And just because the model is 15' feet tall doesn't it won't be a towering monstrosity on film. "Cause building scale models of things like the Death Star is...highly impractical.

I remember the good old days. When we had to wait til a movie was released before we could be disappointed by it...
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:00 am

The_Watchman wrote:It looks like they're going for something like Sentinels designed by Apple.

That's what my Girlfriend said. She asked if Brian Singer was standing next to the iPhone 5 when I showed it to her.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 am

K.G. Carlson wrote:I remember the good old days. When we had to wait til a movie was released before we could be disappointed by it...

Sure... The Phantom Menace nostalgia... Let's relive those days... :shock:

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am

K.G. Carlson wrote:I remember the good old days. When we had to wait til a movie was released before we could be disappointed by it...

Agreed. I understand being underwhelmed when something doesn't live up to your expectations, even if it's not the final product. That's the prerogative of the audience. But damn...does anyone like anything anymore? Bryan Singer is a hack? I'm not defending Jack the Giant Slayer and he committed the cardinal sin of making Superman boring, but he also made X-men 1 and 2, which were pretty popular with all of us when they came out.

I don't know...I'm not saying we the fans should just gobble up every tidbit of anything studio's throw at us that has a hint of nerdom about it, but the level of cynicism around here is sometimes way too high.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:24 pm

I lost any respect I might have had for the guy when he pretty much said he knew better than comic book fans and that X-Men never had a continuity.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:59 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I don't know...I'm not saying we the fans should just gobble up every tidbit of anything studio's throw at us that has a hint of nerdom about it, but the level of cynicism around here is sometimes way too high.

I'm not even remotely cynical. Skeptical, certainly, but not cynical.

I'm going to see the movie... Whether I'll see it on the big screen or wait to rent it I'm not sure yet... And I expect it'll be almost entirely watchable and even somewhat entertaining (otherwise, why spend the time and money watching it?).

Having seen the vast majority of superhero movies made in the last few decades, however, I'm not going in assuming it's going to be a masterpiece... Because, despite my lifetime of love for the genre, most supers movies aren't particularly good and don't live up to the source material. There are exceptions and even some otherwise mediocre movies have some really, really good scenes that stick with me and make me smile.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm waiting until I see them kill Franklin Richards.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Mr Mole wrote:I'm not even remotely cynical. Skeptical, certainly, but not cynical.

I'm going to see the movie... Whether I'll see it on the big screen or wait to rent it I'm not sure yet... And I expect it'll be almost entirely watchable and even somewhat entertaining (otherwise, why spend the time and money watching it?).

Having seen the vast majority of superhero movies made in the last few decades, however, I'm not going in assuming it's going to be a masterpiece... Because, despite my lifetime of love for the genre, most supers movies aren't particularly good and don't live up to the source material. There are exceptions and even some otherwise mediocre movies have some really, really good scenes that stick with me and make me smile.

Actually, I think that's a healthy attitude to have, especially when someone's trying to sell you something. :wink:
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”