Casting a JL movie

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Casting a JL movie

Postby Bombaatu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

WB is once again looking at doing a JL movie, using Man of Steel (or arguably Dark Knight Rises) as an entry-point to a larger shared movie-verse, a la The Avengers.

We already have Cavill as Superman, along with possibly Joseph Gordon Levitt (or less likely, Christian Bale) as Batman. Who else should be in it? Below are my picks.

Wonder Woman
Hands-down my favorite pick for this would be Alexandra Daddario. Drop-dead gorgeous, a dead-ringer for Dianna and the Percy Jackson movie shows she can do action. About the only problem is that she's short - 5'6" - but so is Tom Hardy and they made him look huge as Bane.

The Flash/Barry Allen
Having watched Tron Legacy, I think Garrett Hedlund could do Barry justice. He has a good mix of comedic timing and action that the character needs.

Green Lantern/Hal Jordon
Ryan Reynold's flopped in his portrayal, being much more like Guy Gardner IMO. Alas, Nathan Fillion is too old for live-action GL. My pick would be Justin Chambers, best known as Dr. Alex Karev on Grey's Anatomy. He has the right mix of cockiness and angst to do Hal justice (no pun intended).

Sadly, I don't think either Aquaman or Martian Manhunter would translate well to big-screen, and if they cast Green Arrow they wouldn't be able to escape the cries of 'copycat' re: Hawkeye in Avengers. Hawkman or Hawkgirl might work, but I have no idea who to dream-cast for those.

Thoughts?

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Casting a JL movie

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Bombaatu wrote:Sadly, I don't think either Aquaman or Martian Manhunter would translate well to big-screen, and if they cast Green Arrow they wouldn't be able to escape the cries of 'copycat' re: Hawkeye in Avengers. Hawkman or Hawkgirl might work, but I have no idea who to dream-cast for those.

Thoughts?

Cavill was a good Superman in need of a better script so hopefully they'd stick with him.

I seriously doubt Bale or Levitt will be Batman. Bruce Wayne will be Batman in Justice League. Dark Knight Rises wasn't nearly popular enough for WB to change that. I'm not sure who would be a good cast for that. Just for lols, I'll say Benedict Cumberbatch just playing Sherlock in a cape and cowl.

For J'onn, I could see Idris Elba as well after seeing how well he did as Heimdall. He's 6'3" and has the right build. He could definitely be an intimidating J'onn and he can do the kind of wise mentor thing as well.

My dream casting for Flash would be Neil Patrick Harris. He's got the kind of skinny build I'd expect from the Flash, he was fantastic as the voice in New Frontier, and he looks like Barry.

Aquaman, I don't know but he better say "Outrageous". If they did the fish out of water quiet guy from JL: Year One, I could see Martin Freeman but he's probably a bit old.

I can't imagine the Hawks being used but if they did, I think they'd have to go the "barbarian warrior" route so maybe Jason Momoa? He looks crazy and like a man with whom which one should not f***.

I'd like to see Black Canary but she might have similar issues to Green Arrow. Dina might be seen a "copycat" of an Avengers character who looks fantastic in tights (I of course refer to Captain America).

Probably little chance of Zatanna making the cut but I would dearly love to see her show up in her classic outfit.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Among his myriad projects, it seems Guillermo del Toro wants to make a film with the magic/supernatural side of DC. Characters like Etrigan, Constantine and Zatanna might appear in that if it ever happens.

As for JL casting: I hope whoever they select to be Wonder Woman either has or acquires an appropriate physique.

Usually the guys get buff to portray superheroes like Cap or Thor. Ideally, WW should look closer to a fitness model than a runway model.

(Haywire is not a good movie, but I appreciated that the protagonist, portrayed by MMA fighter Gina Carano, actually has a body that makes the action heroine stuff look believable, or at least as believable as any action hero dudes)
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Gina Carano is my pick for Wonder Woman. Here is a Google image search on her. She has the look, and she is a former MMA fighter, so she's already tough and athletic. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gina+ca ... 16&bih=853

And she is already dating Henry Cavill. :)

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:41 pm

She might be considered too old for the part now (especially since they'd want someone they can use for a few more movies over the next 10 years or so), but I always wanted Claudia Black to be Wonder Woman.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Heh. There is even a pic of her as wonder woman in there :)
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 pm

with the big announcement today, it seems like we're gonna find out pretty soon about Batman at least. I'm actually really surprised; DC did something... *really* smart.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm

The_Watchman wrote:Cavill was a good Superman in need of a better script so hopefully they'd stick with him.

I'll be honest with you: i disliked him intensely in Man of Steel. I just couldn't buy into it.... He looks nothing like Superman, and doesn't sound anything like what i think Superman should sound like.

I kow Dean Cain is getting up there in years, but his look would be my choice for a Superman... The chisseled good looks, the square jaw, the straight hair.... That musculature.... An that voice, thats the voice of a compassionate, caring Superman.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm

saint_matthew wrote:I'll be honest with you: i disliked him intensely in Man of Steel. I just couldn't buy into it.... He looks nothing like Superman, and doesn't sound anything like what i think Superman should sound like.

I kow Dean Cain is getting up there in years, but his look would be my choice for a Superman... The chisseled good looks, the square jaw, the straight hair.... That musculature.... An that voice, thats the voice of a compassionate, caring Superman.

I don't think you and I watched the same movie then... I personally feel that the casting of Cavill was one of the few perfect things that was done in the Man of Steel movie. His Physique is perfect, he's not body builder cut but he has the kind of muscles that are actually real world functional. The man has the body of a greek god.

It's been 20 years since Dean Cain made his debut as Superman and to be honest I wasn't a fan of his superman twenty years ago.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 am

Dean Cain was a great Superman. For what it's worth, I really liked Brandon Routh; granted, he was basically doing an impression of Christopher Reeves from the original, but it was a damn-near spot-on impression. Too bad the actual script was rubbish.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 pm

GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:31 pm

I think Affleck can actually make a pretty good Batman, depending on the tone involved. Maybe a little lighter hearted than the Nolan Batman.

If nothing else, I think he's a great fit for Bruce Wayne.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Here's hoping Affleck will have a hand producing and/or directing the film.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 pm

roguescribner wrote:Ben Affleck is playing Batman in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel and presumably in Justice League.

*Incoherent Nerd-Rage*
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm

That was quick. I was just going to come here to see if anyone else heard the news about Batman :lol:
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”