Batman: Arkham Origin

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Batman: Arkham Origin

Postby saint_matthew » Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 am

Okay, here it is folks, our first look at Arkham Origin... The official Arkham Origins trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnK8akbd2M

So, yeah, no actual game play yet, but you know what i don't care... I just want a movie thats exactly like that... Maybe dial back the Bat Armour, because that looks a little bit silly... Bruce you are the Batman, you are not Iron Man with a cape.

I'm a little bit worried about this new game, because its being developed by a different developer, but i've got my fingers crossed that its a good game, nonetheless.

An unfortunately it looks like we will be getting another slutty harley costume again... An unlike the previous two games i don't think there is going to be any justification this time round. Arkham Asylum the excuse could be given that she was wearing what she stole, but modded... An that Arkham City she was wearing what she could get her hands on, but modded... This time round, no reasoanble excuse exists... I am still hopping they give her back her original costume, even if the modified it in some way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go watch that trailer another 6 or 7 times.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Batman: Arkham Origin

Postby saint_matthew » Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 am

An of course the worldwide release date is 25/10/2013 CE
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am

This trailer gives me hope that the game might have one thing I really felt was missing from the other games: a boss fight that is not a sea of mooks and some giant goliath or distant threat or whatever you have to just keep dodging and attacking indirectly. I want one or more villains who actually trades blows with Batman in the same way he does. Hopefully that fight is at least vaguely close to something that could happen in actual gameplay.

As for the armored costume, while I agree that they went too far, I could see a "newbie" Batman using a bulkier armor, then getting a sleeker suit as he got more experienced and got more advanced materials, until what we see in the other games. Though that may be just me finding excuses after the fact to avoid bitching at a likely good game that is not even out yet :lol:

I'm also hoping for a Harley with something resembling her original and much superior costume design. Perhaps wit ha slight Christmas twist, since that is when the game happens.

From what little is known of the game, the expanded crime scene investigation aspect is something that also picked my interest. And I'm quite sure I'll enjoy saving time and avoiding boredom by crossing large expanses of the gigantic map using the Batwing.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 pm

I have been going through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City a lot recently and have been following the different announcements of the game. There is a massive bit I want to post here, but I will post the essentials for those that have not been following. So far, no major spoilers in this as far as I know.

First off, the main story being Black Mask (Roman Sionis) hiring 8 assassins for one night just to kill Batman is a neat idea. The current roster of the hired assassins are:

1. Deathstroke (duh, revealed in the Revealing Trailer)
2. Dead Shot (duh, same as above)
3. Bane (I do not consider him an assassin, but he is a mercenary so I will let it slide)
4. Copperhead (The only female thus far known in the assassin roster. I just do not get this one myself. :?: )
5. Firefly (FINALLY, even though he is no assassin as far as I know of.)

Three are still a mystery. And let us not forget the other mentioned villains:

>Joker (Also, duh. What would a Batman game be without the Joker?)
>Mad Hatter (Voiced by the same actor that did Mad Hatter from Arkham City.)
>Penguin
>Anarky (I did not see this one coming at all.)

There have also been speculation on 2 possible characters: Harvey Dent (This is in french, but the name can be found in the very bottom line) and Hugo Strange (Just check out Alberto Falconi's file under the Game Info section)

Possibility of The Riddler is unclear currently, for the producers are holding out (JUST TELL US ALREADY!!!)

Second, with mention of a Multiplayer mode for the game and thug customization possibilities, this can really be an interesting concept in of itself.

Any thoughts on what the other three assassins hired by Black Mask could be? Lady Shiva? Cheshire? David Cain or other well-known members of the League of Assassins?

BTW, if it were not for this thread, I would never know about this game until the TV commercials of this game were released. Thanks, Saint_Matthew.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Personally I'd like to see Bronze Tiger (Ben Turner) show up. As a kid of the 80's, I was first exposed to him in Suicide Squad, which is one of my all time favorite comics. His fights with Batman were always spoken of in reverent terms "Bronze Tiger has gone toe to toe with BATMAN."

He grew as a character in that book, and eventually became the team's co-leaders. I've always liked him, and he has the martial arts knowledge to give Batman a run for his money, plus he has connections to the League of Shadows as well.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

ghostman76 wrote:Personally I'd like to see Bronze Tiger (Ben Turner) show up. As a kid of the 80's, I was first exposed to him in Suicide Squad, which is one of my all time favorite comics.

Then you will be happy to know that he has indeed been tentatively confirmed to be in "Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate."
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 pm

danelsan wrote:This trailer gives me hope that the game might have one thing I really felt was missing from the other games: a boss fight that is not a sea of mooks and some giant goliath or distant threat or whatever you have to just keep dodging and attacking indirectly. I want one or more villains who actually trades blows with Batman in the same way he does. Hopefully that fight is at least vaguely close to something that could happen in actual gameplay.

Then you'll be happy with the "martial artist" mooks. They can counter Batman in the same fashion that Batman counters everyone else. So you do get a more trading blows feel. An Batman can now break weapons used by minions such as baseball bats... which means no more disarming mooks, only to have another mook pick up the weapon & you start the dance again (because that got annoying in Arkham City).

danelsan wrote:As for the armored costume, while I agree that they went too far, I could see a "newbie" Batman using a bulkier armor, then getting a sleeker suit as he got more experienced and got more advanced materials, until what we see in the other games. Though that may be just me finding excuses after the fact to avoid bitching at a likely good game that is not even out yet :lol:

Its not just his costume that is bulkier, his fighting style is also dirtier, more brutal, as Batman hasn't learnt yet exactly how much force he needs to physically supply to do damage, so he's still all "shcok & awe", rather than "grace & style."

danelsan wrote:I'm also hoping for a Harley with something resembling her original and much superior costume design.

Don't get your hopes up, you will be disappointed.
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:45 am

Oh, I'm following the news on this game, I was already aware of the martial artists mooks. I wonder if Deathstroke X Batman will include multiple counters (Like, he attacks, you counter, he counters your counter, you counter his counter).

Hopefully each boss fight will be quite distinct. Arkham Asylum especially suffered from all nearly bosses being too similar.

And yeah, I know it is a fool's hope about Harley. It is a shame to see ruined one of the 3 clown-like designs in comics to ever work (Joker, Harley and Jack-in-the-Box are the 3 I have in mind)
My DeviantArt page

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:02 pm

danelsan wrote:Oh, I'm following the news on this game, I was already aware of the martial artists mooks. I wonder if Deathstroke X Batman will include multiple counters (Like, he attacks, you counter, he counters your counter, you counter his counter).

Hopefully each boss fight will be quite distinct. Arkham Asylum especially suffered from all nearly bosses being too similar.

And yeah, I know it is a fool's hope about Harley. It is a shame to see ruined one of the 3 clown-like designs in comics to ever work (Joker, Harley and Jack-in-the-Box are the 3 I have in mind)

It might just be my natural aversion to clowns speaking, but personally, the only clowned themed character I've ever really liked was The Joker. I have never been a fan of Harley. Her origin is very unique and is an interesting way to give Joker "his" Robin, but I've always found her potential as a character dwarfed her execution as a character. In the animated series she could be grating and annoying to me, and in most other media she's usually just a sexpot in greasepaint.

Jack-in-the-box is one of my least favorite Astro City characters. I always found The Samaritan, SteelJack, and my personal favorite, The Confessor, to be much more interesting.

But as I said, that's just my opinion, I'm not saying it's the law. :lol:
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Astro City is absolutely full of phenomenal character designs. Alex Ross, besides being godlike at painting, is also quite the character design genius.

I agree that Jack-in-Box is not the best design in Astro City, I just find it amazing he made a clown-based design that works at all (well, works for me, at least)

That said, this has nothing to do with Arkham Origins, so I'll let the clown and design discussion for another opportunity XD

Back on topic, I'm surprised to be actually approving of the new voice actor for Batman. Conroy will forever be Batman in my mind, but the new guy is making a surprisingly good job at a younger-sounding Conroy-Batman
My DeviantArt page

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 pm

UPDATE!!! XD

Riddler and Shiva have been "announced". This video (thanks to BatmanArkhamVideos for the public video post and eXophase.com for the achievement list the video is about) (There are no story spoilers at all) is the ENTIRE list of achievements for the 360. In there, there is mention of Riddler Trophies between 1:00 and 1:40, then Shiva is mentioned between 2:35(-ish) to 3:15.

Now, the revealed villain roster once more:

XeroKhan wrote:REVEALED ASSASSINS:
1. Deathstroke
2. Dead Shot
3. Bane
4. Copperhead (a female rendition)
5. Firefly
6. Shiva

Secondary Villains:
>Joker
>Mad Hatter
>Penguin
>Anarky
>Riddler

Now, all that we wait for is the revealing of the last two assassins. This also makes me think: will David Cain and/or Cassandra Cain be mentioned in Arkham Origins? Will they be IN the game? What of Riddler's early plans?

Update Part 2

With the announcement of the game's soundtrack, Killer Croc was announced as a villain in the game. My only question: One of the assassins (being Croc is a Gotham-based "Merc") or one of the side villains? We will find out in less than a month...

Common Terms I will use:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:21 am

Installing... 20 gig! WHAT THE HELL!

Okay, still installing.... See you in a couple of days i suppose. :roll:
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:41 am

Jesus, its still installing.

My friend literally went in to labour & just gave birth during the amount of time this game is taking to do a full install. On the other hand, there is now a brand new little geeky in the world.
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:12 am

Okay, so 30 minutes hands on and my initial summation is this: The graphics are way over what they need to be, to the point of being silly. The combat is much more brutal, which i prefer over the dance around ballet of the other games. I like the ability to fast travel, unfortunately it is serverly hampered by a map user interface that is not only hideous, its almost unusuable... Something as simple as the loss of mouse control on the map making it necessary to use the WASD keys is painful, but not nearly as painful as just looking at the UI.... Its pretty clear that they've skimped there & given how polished the rest of the game is its really very obvious that they've skimped... The map is certainly a "if it aint broke don't fix it" kinda thing.

My other major gripe so far is the level layouts have been very linear so far. This is likely to change as i progress, but its reminding me more of the rail shooter feel of Arkham Asylum, over the more flexible "here are your options, now go figure it out yourself" of Arkham City.

Also i'll be honest the "crime reconstruction" thing just doesn't make much sense, either as a Batman thing, or as a Technology thing... So far i've used it once & it asked me to discover a specific thing & i ended up just not using it because it wasn't clear enough.

Last fault i've found is that the area of Gotham i have to work with seems only about half the size of Arkham City. I'm hoping my scale is just off & its larger than i think, but i fear its not.

The one major upside: NO MORE "GAMES FOR WINDOWS" ANNOYANCE!

I'm sure i'll do a full review in the fullness of time, but i'm off to bed.
-Isaac Asimov

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:28 pm

After getting my pre-ordered copy of Arkham Origins, I was able to play it only for 3 hours (due to mother passing out candy for our area's Trick or Treating, and she wanted the television after coming back in. X( ). Here is what I have got from it:

First, I must point out something funny: when the game begins, I thought Man-Bat was in the game until I realized that it was a close up of an actual bat in the Batcave. I chuckled at my own stupidity :lol: .

The tutorial area (Blackgate Prison) did seem linear to me, but it was to show how it was played. Even the first boss, Killer Croc, who apparently was the 8th assassin of Black Mask (no surprise to me since Croc is a Merc in the Gotham area), was pretty easy as Croc was easy to read. Definitely, the game has the best tutorial area I have played to date.

The main Gotham area is pretty large, and having to deal with Riddler is the same as the other Arkham games. This is due to Riddler (or his early persona as "Enigma") having jammed the radio towers for some reason (I will not spoil it for those who have not played yet). This has become somewhat tedious (as it should be) because you need to clear them out as if you were playing the Ezio Trilogy of the Assassin's Creed series, but Batman styled (wow, where did they come up with that idea :shock: )

After being defeated a couple of times (and seeing Penguin A LOT), the combat in the game is just as fluid as the Rocksteady "Arkham" games. The only enemy that is troublesome to me: the Armored Thugs (ugh). Even the first Brute I had fought was a piece of cake compared to the Armored Thug, especially when in a group of thugs fighting you. As for the Predator sequences, it is just like the previous games.

The only thing I have to say is when you first meet Electrocutioner (one of the eight assassins of Black Mask), the encounter is underwhelming and catches you on surprise. More to come. :P

Common Terms I will use:

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”