Pacific Rim movie....

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Pacific Rim movie....

Postby HappyDaze » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
HappyDaze wrote:The cost effective answer would have been to have nuclear mines surrounding the rift. Kaiju detected? Detonate a mine. Now replace the mine for much cheaper than a Jaeger costs. Sure, they couldn't get their bombs through the rift, but defending this side of it could have been made a lot easier.

Sure, but now you've made the water radioactive, and destabilised a well known tectonic instability. :roll:

It's the same answer they use in the movie, so I think they've pretty much accepted the consequences. Besides, I'm doubting that a nuke set off above the fault is going to do jack or shit to the plates.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

HappyDaze wrote:It's the same answer they use in the movie, so I think they've pretty much accepted the consequences. Besides, I'm doubting that a nuke set off above the fault is going to do jack or shit to the plates.

You dare question the greatest criminal mind of our generation?!

But seriously, yeah...an atomic bomb has nowhere near the force to move a tectonic plate. Geologic forces completely dwarf anything we can do as humans. The radiation would be something of an issue for life not vaporized by the explosion but salt water is effective in diluting radiation. Probably not a strategy you'd want to use regularly but I don't think nuclear mines would be much stupider than the wall. Of course giant humanoid robots are a somewhat questionable choice all on their own but their value as a symbol (We fight the enemy on their own terms and win!) may have been considered enough to justify using them instead of more conventional delivery systems.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 am

It had giant monsters and giant robots. It had Idris Elba. 'Nuff said.
Pearlman's cameo was brilliant.
The new Godzilla has something to live upto.
Dangerous when cute

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 pm

So, this movie finally came to Brazil. I found it absolutely fantastic, as long as you set your absurd-detector accordingly. Just like with Superheroes, the genre requires you to just accept some things, throwing science and logic to the wind.

Even so, a few things irked me a bit, because they were not deviations from real world that were needed for the film to work. Two in particular:
First was a bunch of clone monsters having such diverse phenotypes. And then linking the to dinosaurs, which most certainly did not shared the same DNA.
The second was Gipsy Danger being immune to EMP because it has a nuclear power source, as if it didn't have thousands of electronic components in it.

Still, best action movie of the year for me, and likely the only one I'll be going to watch again in a movie theater.

After being disappointed by Iron Man 3, lowering my expectations for Man of Steel and still getting disappointed, this was a magnificent experience, despite my relatively high expectations. I enjoyed it more than all the other movies I watched in theaters this year put together
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm

i've just discovered: there's an after credit scene at the end
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:43 pm

witchfire wrote:i've just discovered: there's an after credit scene at the end

I almost missed it in when I went to see the movie. More shawarma than Thanos, though XD
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:55 pm

danelsan wrote:First was a bunch of clone monsters having such diverse phenotypes. And then linking the to dinosaurs, which most certainly did not shared the same DNA.

As i recall they were not saying that dinosaurs had diverse phenotypes, they were saying they wiped out the dinosaurs, in there first attempt to invade. But the atmosphere wasn't ready yet.

danelsan wrote:The second was Gipsy Danger being immune to EMP because it has a nuclear power source, as if it didn't have thousands of electronic components in it.

Yeah, i noticed that one too.... I'll be honest, its a moment of pure bullshittery. But i allow any given movie ONE of those & this one wasn't nearly as bad as the ones out of Man of Steel. Heck i wasn't even aware you could make a movie by stringing together acts of bullshittery, but Man of Steel does it.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 pm

danelsan wrote:Even so, a few things irked me a bit, because they were not deviations from real world that were needed for the film to work. Two in particular:
First was a bunch of clone monsters having such diverse phenotypes. And then linking the to dinosaurs, which most certainly did not shared the same DNA.

The diversity of the kaiju bothered me a bit as well, though I'm operating under the assumption that they're grown in a lab on some sort of scaffolding, allowing for their handlers to produce the traits they want.

What really bothered me was the one being pregnant. Granted, if they reproduce via parthenogenesis, they'd have identical DNA, but that makes it more difficult to account for the various phenotypes.

Regarding the throw away line about the dinosaurs, the first time I saw the film, I thought Newton was implying that kaiju were the dinosaurs as well, but on my second viewing, the line seemed a bit more vague.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:58 am

HappyDaze wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:
HappyDaze wrote:The cost effective answer would have been to have nuclear mines surrounding the rift. Kaiju detected? Detonate a mine. Now replace the mine for much cheaper than a Jaeger costs. Sure, they couldn't get their bombs through the rift, but defending this side of it could have been made a lot easier.

Sure, but now you've made the water radioactive, and destabilised a well known tectonic instability. :roll:

It's the same answer they use in the movie, so I think they've pretty much accepted the consequences. Besides, I'm doubting that a nuke set off above the fault is going to do jack or shit to the plates.

I've just got official confrimation on this: When the Kaiju first appeared it took 3 high yield tactical nukes to take out Trespasser (the first Kaiju). The end result on the environment was Oblivion Bay... A place where no one will be able to enter for centuries.

If you were to put that on a tectonic instability you'd not only create tidal waves of radioactive material, you'd probably cause massive tectonic upheaval as well.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby JetstreamGW » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:35 pm

saint_matthew wrote:I've just got official confrimation on this: When the Kaiju first appeared it took 3 high yield tactical nukes to take out Trespasser (the first Kaiju). The end result on the environment was Oblivion Bay... A place where no one will be able to enter for centuries.

If you were to put that on a tectonic instability you'd not only create tidal waves of radioactive material, you'd probably cause massive tectonic upheaval as well.

Eh. Wouldn't cause tidal waves. That's a LOT of water to move and it takes a ton of energy to move it.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/15/

Biggest nukes we have wouldn't put a dent in the ocean or tectonic anything. Earthquakes have a LOT more energy in them than any bomb we possess. Than any dozen bombs we possess. And tectonic instability is a relative term. The forces involved in moving a tectonic plate dwarf piddly little nukes. I don't think they'd do a bloody thing.

savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Postby savijmuhdrox » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 pm

saint_matthew wrote:I've just got official confrimation on this: When the Kaiju first appeared it took 3 high yield tactical nukes to take out Trespasser (the first Kaiju). The end result on the environment was Oblivion Bay... A place where no one will be able to enter for centuries.

Just wondering where you got official confirmation. I have the Tales from Year Zero and the movie book but dont recall reading that. Its possible i missed it but if there is more info somewhere.. I MUST HAVE IT.

And as for contradictions.. the prequel backs up the movie's claim that kaiju blood is highly toxic.. Tendo's grandfather died from just a mere spattering.. But then we've got Hannibal Chau and company basically swimming in the stuff..

Its a minor issue.. Kinda like the russians not having scuba gear on what basically amounts to a walking submarine...

Mildly annoying but in no way ruins the movie for me, its still one of the best i've seen in awhile
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:47 pm

savijmuhdrox wrote:

Just wondering where you got official confirmation.

The official novelisation of the movie.
-Isaac Asimov

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I remember the nuke being mentioned in the prequel comic. The novelization is interesting, but like all such things it has conflicts with the film. I love all the memos and charts and stuff though
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”