Spider-Man 700 SPOILERS

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Spider-Man 700 SPOILERS

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:09 am

witchfire wrote:
saint_matthew wrote: Dynamo 5

Hell yea !!!

Of course Dynamo 5. I still need the "Sins of the Father" trade & then i've got a complete series. Still considering selling off my Dynamo 5 single issues & replacing them with trades.

Darrin Kelley wrote:Marvel went from the "House Of Ideas" to the house of idiotic attention grabbing shock tactics. They don't even try to tell a good story anymore.

Well the good news is that I will have plenty money to spend on Essentials collections from the Bronze Age to pick up now. Instead of buying any of Marvel's new fish wrap..

You are not the only one to feel like that. For me DC is no better then Marvel at the moment. Upside is that there are all the books i read but didn't collect, that i can now afford to collect the trades of... Shame the list has about 170 trades on it. :roll:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:15 am

Well, we all know that Peter Parker will come back sooner or later, so I think we should just wait it out... I don't follow Spidey regularly, but I'll check out the inevitiable trade in a few months. It does occur to me, however, that Peter Parker dying and coming back would be a perfect way for them to undo the fluster-cluck that was One More Day.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 am

Batgirl III wrote:Peter Parker dying and coming back would be a perfect way for them to undo the fluster-cluck that was One More Day.

Hmmmmm, i didn't actually mind OMD splitting up MJ & Parker, they just never worked well as a couple. She was focused on her dream of being an actress & he was a day dreamer who had all these skills but no drive to commodoties them. End result being they both spent most of there time being miserable & broke. I thank god that they finally gave him a job where he can excel... Unfortunately OMD also gave as a 80% more emo version of Parker.

An having read the first issue of a Superior Spiderman based book, i can say that i like the idea of a version of Parker who actually goes after what he wants. Its a nice change of pace. I to shall perusue the issues and/or the trade when it inevitably comes out.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

heridfel
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby heridfel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am

Haven't read any 616 Spider-Man books since One More Day. I can see Spider-Man in plenty of other books (Avengers, FF for a while), and that means I don't have to think about how they intend to beat up Peter Parker this time, because gosh darn it, he's scrappy.

On the other hand, in Ultimate Spider-Man, they show a lot more respect for the character. Even with Peter Parker's death and Miles Morales becoming the new Spider-Man... Peter Parker died a heroic death, and Miles Morales is trying to live up to that legacy. That's nothing like making a deal with the devil to save a life.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 pm

heridfel wrote:That's nothing like making a deal with the devil to save a life.

The life a woman who has already lived a full and happy life, doesn't want you to make the deal on her behalf, has already died of natual causes once and been retcon'd back to life once before. Because Joe Quesada had a bad divorce and missed his own late mother. :x

Quesada also going around the magazine and fan site circuit to claim that married men can't have fun adventures or that Mary Jane was a boring character also pissed me the hell off. She's a fictional character, Joe, you're the Editor-in-Chief, hire someone that can write interesting gorram characters.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah, that always blows my mind.
I've heard the claims that Spiderman can't be exciting if he's spoken for. How so?
You wouldn't find being married to a supermodel actor/ress exciting?
If so I would like to read about your life, because it's obviously a very exciting experience ;~)

And the claims that a character isn't interesting is hogwash, if only because a good writer can easily turn a character around.
Luke Cage was a nobody not to long ago, and suddenly he was one of the big name avengers.
Heck, even Wolverine was a dispised character early on (not discussing now, please, thank you.)

One of my favorite shows involved the adventures of a cheerleader, a geeky wall flower, a loser slacker, a liberarian, and a stuck up snob. To be honest none of those concepts really speaks to me, but they were written so well that I enjoyed the dickens out of them.

Heck, during my youth I read a fan fiction story an ended up falling in love with Batroc the leaper.
Batroc... THE LEAPER!
That stuff just ain't right! ;~)

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am

I keep thinking about this and given that to the best of my knowledge Dr Octopus never did a deal with the devil eliminating his marriage and daughter, maybe the better man won
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:50 am

Arkrite wrote:You wouldn't find being married to a supermodel actor/ress exciting?

Sure, but thats like saying ice cream tastes great, so you reading about me enjoying ice-cream must also taste great. Doesn't quite work like that :lol:

Fact is that Peter Parker might as well change his last name to Pan, because his fans refuse to ever let him grow up. An honestly thats why i am looking forward to eventually reading Superior Spiderman. To read a Spiderman book where Peter isn't unfocused, or constantly second guessing himself, or blaming himself for literally every bad thing done by anyone he's even remotely related to, or making plans that are impossible to achieve and then kicking himself for failing, or just constantly making silly unfunny puns will be a nice change of pace.

I mean i'd love to see a Spiderman book where peter has an actual social life. One where he's not rushing off as soon as he hears a police siren... After all this is New york city in the Marvel universe... There are actually more Superheroes in NYC-616 then civilians. I heard building contractors made a small fortune off of outfitting every room in the city with a cleaning supply room for heroes to dash into to change costumes... It got really silly when they started constructing cleaning supply rooms, off of cleaning supply rooms: you know, for those situations when you need to change costume, but you are already in a cleaning supply room with somebody else. :lol:
-Isaac Asimov

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 am

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 am

saint_matthew wrote:Fact is that Peter Parker might as well change his last name to Pan, because his fans refuse to ever let him grow up.

Except for the legion of fans that felt One More Day/Brand New Day was a slap in the face because it felt like an insult to the fans that did enjoy reading about a married, stable, and mature Parker. Same way that I and many of my freinds feel about DC's recent character assassination of Roy Harper.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:07 am

Batgirl III wrote:Except for the legion of fans that felt One More Day/Brand New Day was a slap in the face because it felt like an insult to the fans that did enjoy reading about a married, stable, and mature Parker.

Nah. See the thing is that Peter Parker was never married... Oh sure the writers kept on telling you he was married, but he was never really married. Kind of like how if i told you i'm in a coma & then went for a run around the block before coming back, tapping you on the shoulder just to remind you that i'm still in a coma, its unlikely that i am in fact in a coma.

Peters marriage to MJ was one of the worst plot contrivences Marvel ever created. The two were never mature enough (emotionally or mentally) to have any sort of serious relationship not built on sex & if they were, they most certainly shouldn't have been in a relationship with each other: I remember reading the old issues & it was always like they were room mates that occasionally made the-superhero-with-two-backs.
-Isaac Asimov

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

You and I read some very different issues of Spider-Man then...

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 am

Batgirl III wrote:You and I read some very different issues of Spider-Man then...

I'm not an extensive reader, but I think there's some truth both ways. Mary Jane and Peter Parker always struck me as the sort of couple who have different hobbies. I'm sure all of us know a couple who, after work, go off and do their separate things before meeting later that night. Maybe the husband works out and the woman plays bridge. Maybe he's an American football fan and she goes for hockey. Maybe they just sit on opposite sides of the room, reading their respective books. However it works, they're apart for most of their day until they rejoin in the evening. It works for some people. Goodness knows, my parents have been happily married for almost forty years with such a relationship. That said, I also know people who've split for the very situation, because they feel there's an unbreachable gap. I suspect it's kind of like how there are people who can do long-distance relationships and remain faithful.

Here, Parker has his life as a superhero and Mary Jane has her modeling. We chiefly see their time apart, but their time together seems to show them devoted to each other. I seem to remember they did separate for a time at one point, chiefly because their respective avocations and vocations kept them so far apart. That said, they seemed to have reconciled. *shrug* People are funny.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 pm

It doesn't help that hundreds of writers for Marvel couldn't come up with anything to do with the Mary-Jane character other than stare pensively out the window and worry about Peter. I get it, its the classic story of the policeman's or soldier's wife always dreading The Knock on the Door. Pete and M.J. got married in 1987, even with some allowances for the nature of comic books repeating certain character and plot traits for a very extended time, that's two and a half decades where they couldn't come up with much better? Oi vey.

Which brings up another thought... I was born in `81 and have been reading comics since I was old enough to read. For me, the Spidey in the comics has always been a married man. He was single in the cartoons, but even as a little kid, I knew those were different stories from the comics (Iceman was an X-Man and Pete's house didn't really turn into a wannabe Batcave, duh.) Isn't the average readership of comics still in the teens to late twenties?

Don't take this as a "I never want to see my characters change" rant, I just mean it to point out the silliness of the "fans cannot relate to a married hero" argument. We've been enjoying stories about a married webhead for most of our lives. We probably could have handled a single Peter Parker... if you had broken up the relationship in any means other than SELLING THEIR LOVE TO SATAN. You know what would have made a dramatic six-part tale? A divorce. You know what would have spiked sales and fueled stories for years to come? MJ's death. You know what makes no goddamn sense? SELLING A MARRIAGE TO SATAN!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Batgirl III wrote:It doesn't help that hundreds of writers for Marvel couldn't come up with anything to do with the Mary-Jane character other than stare pensively out the window and worry about Peter. I get it, its the classic story of the policeman's or soldier's wife always dreading The Knock on the Door. Pete and M.J. got married in 1987, even with some allowances for the nature of comic books repeating certain character and plot traits for a very extended time, that's two and a half decades where they couldn't come up with much better? Oi vey.

Honestly, she has skills and equipment sufficient to be far from a helpless victim, but but the degree to which people remember that varies.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”