Spider-Man 700 SPOILERS

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Spider-Man 700 SPOILERS

Postby Kit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 pm

You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Spider-Man 700 SPOILERS

Postby Arkrite » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

*facepalm*
Seriously, who in their right mind lets these guys write?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Eh, I'm with the writer of the article...why get worked up over it? Yes, it seems horrible, but it allows the writers to play around a little with the psychology of the hero. Heck, odds are, not only will Peter not stay dead, once the situation is repaired, Otto Octavius will likely return as well. Why? Because despite all the pushes of Norman Osborn, Dr. Octopus is Spider-man's arch-enemy. Thor isn't Thor without Loki. Captain America needs the Red Skull. Batman has to have the Joker. Superman requires a Lex Luthor and Spider-Man will eventually get his Dr. Octopus back. So read the story for what it is...and be thankful Bendis doesn't have a hand in writing it.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Arkrite wrote:*facepalm*
Seriously, who in their right mind lets these guys write?

Actually i don't mind this twist as a concept. Lets see if they can make it work.

At least its better then Marvels recent plans of having events every month, or alternatively ripping off the work of others.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 pm

I wouldn't say I'm worked up just... gobsmacked that somehow, somewhere, somebody thought that was a good idea... And somebody else said "Sure, let's run with that!"

Gobsmacked.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Arkrite wrote:I wouldn't say I'm worked up just... gobsmacked that somehow, somewhere, somebody thought that was a good idea

Really? I'm gobsmacked that Marvel had an idea... Full stop. At least its something to work with.

EDIT: Just read it (Avenging Spiderman that is) & i was amazed. Yeah i'm going to say something i haven't said in a while: Marvel, I approve of this course of action. the idea of a Peter Parker who doesn't spend 90% of his time bitching and moaning, a Spiderman who is updating his base abilities with further technology... A character actually moving forward. Yeah, i approve of this.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:40 am

And it's possible it might stick. Miles Morales has stuck in the Ultimate Marvel universe. Not without significant protest, but he's stuck around. And it's not like we haven't had other legacy heroes in comic books.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am

I think Mile Morales is an interesting character and I look forward to new issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. I have not found an interesting arc of any Peter Parker story to read in a long time.

I'd read the new run to see if they can capture my interest and my pocketbook.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:And it's possible it might stick. Miles Morales has stuck in the Ultimate Marvel universe.

This is true.
It's also true I haven't bought a Ultimate Spiderman since that annoucement so... *shrug*

To be fair, I'm sure Miles Morales is a fine character, and I'm sure some diversity is a great thing... But is there really any good reason he couldn't have joined up as a supporting character as a leadin to his own new identity rather than killing off an established character?
I was actually liking Peter having a supporting cast of superheroes to give him a hand.

But, moot point, they killed off Peter and lost my money. Obviously not enough to make a difference in their eyes, but what can you do?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:And it's possible it might stick. Miles Morales has stuck in the Ultimate Marvel universe. Not without significant protest, but he's stuck around. And it's not like we haven't had other legacy heroes in comic books.

Nah this wont stick. The memory engrams will eventually start to fade & spiderman will eventually go back to the classic spiderman, hopefully with the focus & discipline Doc Ock brouoght to the character. Because i honestly can't stand the new emo sulky Peter Parkers we've had, post OMD.

At least they are trying something with the character to buck the general lack of legitimate story arcs Spiderman has had over the last few years.

i mean, i'm as big a fan of episodic story tellling as the next librarian, but it only really works if you are going from point A, to point B: where Point A is the start of the story & Point B is the inevitable conclusion of the story, with the intervenning space between these two points being full of foreshadowing, revelations & the gathering of the tools/information necessary to make the climax, figuratively orgasmic. (if you'll excuse my play on words)

Whedon did this well in Buffy.

But Spiderman has been going no place for a good long time now, while also trying to be episodic. Something had to give eventually.

This new direction appears to be episodic:
Point A: Spidermans body is taken over by Doc Ock who decides to be a superior version of Spiderman.
Point B: Final showdown were Peter gets his body back.

Between point a & point b, we will see some foreshadowing for the return of Peter Parker, have some reveals to whats going on & how it may all end & well have Spider-Ock react to those actions. Thats how episodic story telling & serialised fiction both work.

Me personally i'm looking forward to it... Of course that may just be the incredibly low standards of anything else coming out of DC & Marvel talking... The smallest amount of cleverness now seems ingenius. either way, i'll keep my eyes & ears open, might even pick up the trade at the end if its any good.
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

badpenny wrote:I think Mile Morales is an interesting character

Really? I honestly can't stand him. An don't get me wrong its not a race thing, or even a "its not Peter Parker" thing. I just don't get why anyone would go "wow, Spiderman has been discredited, he's been beaten & he was killed on national TV... I totally should dress up as him only a few weeks after his death."

Seriously dude, get a clue: Go rob some drug lords of there money, use the money to equip yourself with a base & some do-hickeys, an become the Goddamn Batman instead man. Play the urban legend, hero of the night schtick... You'll likely live longer & you'll profit from crime by stealing anything the drug lords haven't nailed down.

But apart from that i just find his civilian identity so devoid of character. That was the thing about Ultimate Spiderman: It had a huge cast of interesting supporting characters. Peter himself was full of his own wants & desires... Morales just seems lie he's sleep walking through the part by comparission.
-Isaac Asimov

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

There's always an elasticity toward the status quo. You "kill" the character and explore something else for awhile, and then you return. This is just the MO of comic books. I'm no comics scholar, but I think this is true for all characters. Who was dead the longest? I didn't read Mockingbird back in the day, but she seemed to stay dead for 15-20 years (not that she was a lead character with her own book).

But anything that happens to Peter Parker will be temporary. That'll be the next big story: his return. Same thing with Superman, Batman, Captain America. Nothing new.

And as to Miles Morales, this is why there's many different ice cream flavors: to each their own. Saint Matthew: you strike me as a very, very harsh critic. What do you actually like? What are you enthusiastic about?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 pm

badpenny wrote:Saint Matthew: you strike me as a very, very harsh critic. What do you actually like? What are you enthusiastic about?

I used to be enthusiastic about a lot & then a few years ago comic writers started to get lazy. Its not that i'm a harsh critic its that i'm a reasonable critic in a world of lazy, uninspiring writing by cliched writers just phoning it in, trying to pass tripe off as quality writing (yes Bendis & Johns i'm looking at you).

I loved Static Shock (yet DC has only released a single trade*), Busieks run of Thunderbolts, JSA presents Star & Stripe, Powers (before Bendis got lazy and started phoning in the plot), JLA, JSA, Red Robin, Batgirl, Teen Titans (up to about "Hunt for Raven"), Power Girl, Green Arrow (between "Quiver" & "Five Stages"), Young Justice v2, Mystery Men (the 1940's marvel version), Darkstar and the Winter Guard, the complete Annihilation Saga (including Conquest, Realm of Kings & Thanos Imperative) & Dynamo 5.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head (an also off the top of my trade purchasing list). I love well written serialised fiction in the Super hero genre, but i'm also cursed by being able to tell the difference between good & bad writing (from both a story stand point & also a technical stand point). An a lot of writing we are getting at the moment is just bad.

* okay, yes its technically two trades but since one trade contains statics origin & the other trade contains those saqme issues & rebirth of cool, i count it as one trade.
-Isaac Asimov

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Darrin Kelley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 am

I've dropped all of my Marvel books. And in hearing about this, I think I am better off for it.

Marvel went from the "House Of Ideas" to the house of idiotic attention grabbing shock tactics. They don't even try to tell a good story anymore.

Well the good news is that I will have plenty money to spend on Essentials collections from the Bronze Age to pick up now. Instead of buying any of Marvel's new fish wrap..

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 am

saint_matthew wrote: Dynamo 5

Hell yea !!!
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent