Man of Steel 2013 film SPOILERS

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Man of Steel 2013 film SPOILERS

Postby Arkrite » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:44 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:They got $300 million from Man of Steel and they'll get even more from this if trends continue.

Yeah, that's the part that kills me.
No matter what people say against it, no matter how much I didn't like it, no matter how poor I may think it was...
It made huge money and that's all the movie companies care about.
So Baron gets his sequel. And that's cool because at least somebody gets to be happy. ;~)

But, yeah... I'm just cringing as I watch these remakes now. Lone Ranger (cringe), Amazing Spiderman (CRINGE), Star Trek (cringe).

Maybe I'm just getting to old and crotchety but they all seem to have lost the spirit, or character or message which made them famous to begin with in an attempt to make them more 'edgy' and 'modern'.
But millions of dollars means we'll get to continue seeing more of that.

Of course I have it on good authority I'm a part of the 'dork' brigade, so don't mind me ;~)

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am

Arkrite wrote:But, yeah... I'm just cringing as I watch these remakes now. Lone Ranger (cringe), Amazing Spiderman (CRINGE), Star Trek (cringe).

Maybe I'm just getting to old and crotchety but they all seem to have lost the spirit, or character or message which made them famous to begin with in an attempt to make them more 'edgy' and 'modern'.

I take it you haven't heard that they are now going to reboot the Robocop franchise too. Yep, it was announced at comic con... Or maybe i'm just a Poe saying something adequately extreme, to lampoon the point... Either way, how terrified are you right now, that i'm NOT kidding. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:13 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Arkrite wrote:But, yeah... I'm just cringing as I watch these remakes now. Lone Ranger (cringe), Amazing Spiderman (CRINGE), Star Trek (cringe).

I take it you haven't heard that they are now going to reboot the Robocop franchise too. Yep, it was announced at comic con... Or maybe i'm just a Poe saying something adequately extreme, to lampoon the point... Either way, how terrified are you right now, that i'm NOT kidding. :lol:

What could possibly go wrong with a PG-13 rated Robocop that looks like a generic Sci-Fi serial stormtrooper?

Robocop was actually announced a long time back.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 am

If DC insists on playing catch up with Marvel, i can assure you there are many DC properties i would rather see as movie than Superman/Batman, including but not limited to

- Adam Strange: A speace fearing super hero, in a world not his own.

- JSA: A WW2 era film with half the team deployed over seas, the home team recruits some new mystery men. Our narrator character would be a newly minted Star-Man, just joining th group. Kind of like the Captain America film but less PR based, more routing Nazi schemes at home

- Legion of Super-Heroes: A teen focused superhero movie set in the future, telling a version of the archie era origin story with the three founders

- Static Shock: He puts a shock to your system.

- Black Lightning: Just do a slightly better version of his Year One story... Replace the magic crap with scomething adequately science fiction & you've got a movie... With his JLA era costume of course.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 am

saint_matthew wrote:If DC insists on playing catch up with Marvel, i can assure you there are many DC properties i would rather see as movie than Superman/Batman, including but not limited to

- JSA: A WW2 era film with half the team deployed over seas, the home team recruits some new mystery men. Our narrator character would be a newly minted Star-Man, just joining th group. Kind of like the Captain America film but less PR based, more routing Nazi schemes at home

- Legion of Super-Heroes: A teen focused superhero movie set in the future, telling a version of the archie era origin story with the three founders

- Black Lightning: Just do a slightly better version of his Year One story... Replace the magic crap with scomething adequately science fiction & you've got a movie... With his JLA era costume of course.

I'd watch those
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Kit wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:If DC insists on playing catch up with Marvel, i can assure you there are many DC properties i would rather see as movie than Superman/Batman, including but not limited to

I'd watch those

Of course you would, you've long proven to be an individual of great taste.

But alas this is not what we are going to get. What we are going to get is subpar basterdisations of pre-existing properties, turned into shallow imitations of actual properties, based entirely on the idea of the properties being currently popular, to placate what is essentially the lowest common denominator. Kind of a shame considering how easily i came up with ideas that if done right could potentially be movies worth watching, rather then just movies that made money.
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 am

saint_matthew wrote:But alas this is not what we are going to get. What we are going to get is subpar basterdisations of pre-existing properties, turned into shallow imitations of actual properties, based entirely on the idea of the properties being currently popular, to placate what is essentially the lowest common denominator. Kind of a shame considering how easily i came up with ideas that if done right could potentially be movies worth watching, rather then just movies that made money.

That's what's so infuriating about the state of DC movies compared to Marvel movies. The Marvel films aren't doing something totally revolutionary as far movies as a whole go. They're just realizing that "superhero" isn't a genre by itself and you find the genre/style that fits the character and story you want to tell. Captain America's a WWII adventure film with nary a trace of irony or sarcasm (and the sequel's going to be a spy thriller) because those are the kinds of stories that fit. Thor's a space opera (which is really just fantasy with sci-fi trappings bolted on). Iron Man's a sci-fi action piece. Yeah there's a lot of overlap but each also has their own style. Meanwhile all the DC movies in recent years have been grim, gritty "look at how serious we are" films which only worked really well for Batman and even then you started seeing diminishing returns in Dark Knight Rises. DC outright refuses to accept any joy or lightness because then you can only get Batman and Robin. Somehow DC managed to strip all the joy out of being a superhero. I will never buy that for all his burdens, Superman doesn't love being Superman. Of course there's little in their current comics that doesn't perfectly match the tone of their recent films so it's probably a safe bet this won't be changing any time soon. I'm thinking of all of my favorite Superman (and other superhero) moments and how they just wouldn't work with the characters DC has created in their films. Superman failing to save someone despite his best efforts means nothing when he fails to save thousands through not even trying.

Pacific Rim to me was a much better example of a superhero movie than Man of Steel. Powerful heroes fighting incredibly powerful foes and doing everything they can to protect others. The very first fight scene drives home that the heroes are trying to save everyone they can, not just beat the monsters. They cause a lot of damage, sure, but it's a lot easier to accept after seeing that they're totally willing to lay down their lives to stop the kaiju from hurting others even when it goes against orders.

I mean, hell, even Shinji Ikari was bothered by the destruction he thought he caused in his first fight and deliberately endangered himself to protect civilians in his second fight. When Shinji Ikari is more heroic than Superman, ya done goofed.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 am

I took this in over the week-end and I`m left wondering what I think of it all... I was probably biased having read this thread and (despite trying hard not to) comparing it to everything else Superman...

1) I`m not politically correct or any other "protect the children" kind of guy, but to me, the big fight scenes had way too much 9/11 imagery. Yes, it`s the real way to show collapsing buildings that collapse uncontrably, but I`m not American and it pulled up that notion in my mind. I should not be reminded ov real world events when I watch a Superman movie...

2) Echoing the statements that Superman should have tried to move the fight away from the city. If he tried, I would have had less of a problem with killing Zod. My reaction was more like - why do these five people matter?

3) Camera angles. Ugh. I loved the fact that the speed and strength were well portrayed, but why on Earth does the camera have to jump around? This was Superman, not the Blair Witch Project !

4) I found Faora was criminnaly underused. She was interesting for the few moments we saw her on screen and could have done so much more. In contrast, the large guy (I imagine a Non equivalent) left me with a "what`s the point."

To use my own criteria, I am not likely to watch it again...

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Bladewind wrote:I took this in over the week-end and I`m left wondering what I think of it all... I was probably biased having read this thread and (despite trying hard not to) comparing it to everything else Superman...

1) I`m not politically correct or any other "protect the children" kind of guy, but to me, the big fight scenes had way too much 9/11 imagery. Yes, it`s the real way to show collapsing buildings that collapse uncontrably, but I`m not American and it pulled up that notion in my mind. I should not be reminded ov real world events when I watch a Superman movie...

2) Echoing the statements that Superman should have tried to move the fight away from the city. If he tried, I would have had less of a problem with killing Zod. My reaction was more like - why do these five people matter?

3) Camera angles. Ugh. I loved the fact that the speed and strength were well portrayed, but why on Earth does the camera have to jump around? This was Superman, not the Blair Witch Project !

4) I found Faora was criminnaly underused. She was interesting for the few moments we saw her on screen and could have done so much more. In contrast, the large guy (I imagine a Non equivalent) left me with a "what`s the point."

To use my own criteria, I am not likely to watch it again...

I know what you mean, Faora just kind of existed, minus any purpose... But not nearly as bad as the third kryptonian though.

Camera angles, yep i can see that. My greatest problem with the camera angles was the complete lack of establishing shots. "An now we are at a new location, or the same location, or maybe a different dimension, *shrugs* who knows, i don't know, you don't know, no one knows."

As for the Superman killing Zod thing... all i can think is "if only those poor people could have stood up & walked to the left, through all that empty space... But alas humans lack for the ability to walk away from very slowly oncoming laser beams." closelt followed by "If only Superman had had access to some kind of device that would have allowed him to send Zod away, possibly to some kind of phantom zone, or had some kind of rebreather full of kryptonian atmosphere that would remove his super powers. Alas such things do not exist... Oh wait, yes they do."
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I found myself more interested trying to figure out if there was a place for them to walk away than if Supes was gonna pop Zod, and then, well pop !

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:07 am

Bladewind wrote:I found myself more interested trying to figure out if there was a place for them to walk away than if Supes was gonna pop Zod, and then, well pop !

There was.... There was a whole heap of space... It wasn't like they were even stuck in a corner, they had a hwole heap of space just to get up & walk away. Unfortunately my brain can't not see when WB does that now: Ever since the scene in the Pit in Batman Rises.

The Movie: Oh this pit is inescapable
Me: Actually guys, you can clearly see a pretty wide ledge, wide enough to walk on, right there
The Movie: Totally inescapable
Me: Just stop it movie, you are embarrassing yourself... More so then you were when you had to give Bruce a mechanical leg brace with no reason why, but now he doesn't need it, or how he recovered from a maybe broken back
The Movie: Yep, TOTALLY inescapable
Me: You know what Movie, screw you, i'm going to go watch Avengers instead.... Atleast its not pretending to have some deeper message, you pretentious hack.
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 am

That kinda brings me back to the imagery that the destruction in MoS had versus Avengers.

I was rewatching Avengers last night and it has its a fair share of damage, but one thing I noticed was a decided lack of dust. And you know what? Only reason I noticed was because of the dust in MoS. I'm nitpicking, no question, but I found a good chunk of MoS distasteful due to. The 9/11 imagery it evoked in my eyes. (I invite someone to please tell me I'm exaggerating and being a brainwashed politically correct whack job - no please, I'm serious.)

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:43 am

Bladewind wrote:The 9/11 imagery it evoked in my eyes. (I invite someone to please tell me I'm exaggerating and being a brainwashed politically correct whack job - no please, I'm serious.)

Actually you are not the only one to mention that: A couple of reviewers mentioned it too. It wss one of the many visual choices i was not a fan of... Right up there with the style of flight, the heat vision, the fight scenese, frankly the entire movie... Point to any aspect of the film and chances are good i was not & still am not a fan of it.
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 am

Good. It`s not yet another symptom of looking for things that aren`t there.

There are a lot of things that I did not dislike in the movie though. Faora for instance. Caville as Superman, script notwithstanding and even the costume...

However, the lack of a distinctive score (I don`t judge a film by it`s ring tone marketing abilities, but the Donner era music is iconic, Superman, Transformers and a whole bunch of other movies have music I instantly recognize. This music, while not bad as such made no impression...)

The killing of Zod in the Byrne run in the comics set up a great storyline in my eyes and had the potential to set up the reason Superman doesn`t kill in a big why. But... why were those four or five people so important? Why not the other thousands of people who lost lives, livelihoods and homes were lost?

Yeah, I`m repeating myself, but these points really bugged me.

A lot of the things people had problems with in Avengers I could let slide because I enjoyed the movie as a whole (not to mention the films that lead into it...) Man of Steel... well, Man of Steel... er, um... I barely remember that I really liked the take on Krypton and the reason that went all Hamster Hughie and the Goeey Kablooey... There was a nod that got lost in there as to why the yellow sun didn`t get absorbed over time but was more of an on/off switch. (It WAS there, it just got lost.)

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:23 am

saint_matthew wrote:Point to any aspect of the film and chances are good i was not & still am not a fan of it.

When the credits rolled? :wink:

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”