Phantom Stranger Series (Spoilers)

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Phantom Stranger Series (Spoilers)

Postby JetstreamGW » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Just started reading Phantom Stranger #0.

There are spoilers. Deal. I must now be angry.

JUDAS?! He's JUDAS!? Seriously!? That's the most cliche thing they could have possible gone with!

What the hell? Did we actually need a near-total statement of the Phantom Stranger's origin story? His crime and punishment are supposed to be a mystery, something that's never spoken of!

He could be Judas, or Cain, or a fallen Angel, or just some schmoe who got a bum rap. He could be a superpowerful wizard who reached too far... The point of the thing is not to know because the origin itself is immaterial!

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Phantom Stranger Series (Spoilers)

Postby Kit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I liked the old Secret Origins issue that had 4 different origins for him
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 am

Iscariot?
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 am

JetstreamGW wrote:JUDAS?! He's JUDAS!? Seriously!? That's the most cliche thing they could have possible gone with!

What the hell? Did we actually need a near-total statement of the Phantom Stranger's origin story? His crime and punishment are supposed to be a mystery, something that's never spoken of!

He could be Judas, or Cain, or a fallen Angel, or just some schmoe who got a bum rap. He could be a superpowerful wizard who reached too far... The point of the thing is not to know because the origin itself is immaterial!

Oh he can't be Cain, I seem to recall Morission making Vandal Savage Cain during the travesty that was Final Crisis.

Kit wrote:I liked the old Secret Origins issue that had 4 different origins for him

Oh wow, i seem to recall that issue. That takes me back.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 am

Amusingly, Cain is also, well, Caine. He used to host his own book and then became a fixture in SANDMAN.

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby JetstreamGW » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 pm

King Snarf wrote:Iscariot?

Yeah. Iscariot.

They never actually CALL him judas, but the powers that judge him give him a necklace of silver coins, "His" robe and plop him on the land that he got for his betrayal. And they judge him for the sin of Avarice.

It's annoying.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:07 am

Kit wrote:I liked the old Secret Origins issue that had 4 different origins for him

Same here, although during Moore's run on Swamp Thing he went with the 'fallen angel' origin (having the Stranger note some of the angels falling during their attack on the Enemy, saying that he knew them when he had a name), pretty much making that 'canon' at least for that particular period of time.

Still, the DC Universe being what it is/was, it's not like any one origin being true necessarily invalidates others from *also* being true... If Donna Troy can have a couple of conflicting backstories, then the Phantom Stranger can have tons of them!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Setothes wrote:Still, the DC Universe being what it is/was, it's not like any one origin being true necessarily invalidates others from *also* being true... If Donna Troy can have a couple of conflicting backstories, then the Phantom Stranger can have tons of them!

Amen.

Cobalt
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Cobalt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Agreed. This was maybe the most lame of answers they could have come up with.. And something that didn't didn't need an answer.. And yes.. Definitely THAT Judas.. 30 pieces of sliver.. Tried to hang himself, betrayed his best friend..
I DID enjoy what they did with he and Spectre. It didn't redeem the rest of the book, but it was cool.

Also.. Isn't Cain(e) the caretaker of either House of Mystery or House of Secrets?

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Cobalt wrote:Also.. Isn't Cain(e) the caretaker of either House of Mystery or House of Secrets?

Yes.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes, that was great-the Phantom Stranger was either a traveller from a distant, earlier universe when that cosmos was suffering heat death, an angel who stayed neutral during the War in Heaven and was condemned by both sides, a righteous soul who was denied entrance to Heaven, the Wandering Jew of biblical apocrypha, the very first mortal to ever learn magic, and so on; we never got to see his face or know the Stranger's true origins.

I honestly think (over in the MU) Wolverine lost a great deal of mystique and "cool" after all the stories about his past. The Barry Windsor Smith piece is as far as it should have gone, IMHO.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”